Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2012, 08:06 PM #22
Snowbone
Caleb Adrian
 
Snowbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Moscow, ID
Snowbone owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Snowbone has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Snowbone has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenderBR View Post

:10

Greeks are the most annoying douches on campus and hated by 80% of the general population.
You sir are very misinformed greek members are very respected by the population considering multiple presidents and owners of fortune 500 companies have come from a greek background.
Snowbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:13 PM #23
BenderBR
1%ing on you *****es
 
BenderBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Burrrlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbone View Post
You sir are very misinformed greek members are very respected by the population considering multiple presidents and owners of fortune 500 companies have come from a greek background.
Because economic success dictates whether youre a douchebag or not. I wont dispute the networking value but that doesnt make frat boy douches not-loathed by 80% of the campus, save for impressionable dumb girls and other fishing shirt and sperry clad bros.
__________________
"Originally posted by Kellster: You always own me, breh. :("

"Originally posted by Kellster: Crow takes so good. Om nom nom."

Never miss a good opportunity to shut up.

Texas über alles.
BenderBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:14 PM #24
LOL Renegade
 
 
LOL Renegade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbone View Post
You sir are very misinformed greek members are very respected by the population considering multiple presidents and owners of fortune 500 companies have come from a greek background.
No, he's actually right. If you have to pay for friends, chances are pretty good that you wouldn't have made them anyway. If you want to waste your college years dressing and talking the same way as the rest of your "bro's", then you have fun with that. Believe it or not, some people actually have to pay for school themselves.
LOL Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:29 PM #25
Snowbone
Caleb Adrian
 
Snowbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Moscow, ID
Snowbone owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Snowbone has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Snowbone has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL Renegade View Post
No, he's actually right. If you have to pay for friends, chances are pretty good that you wouldn't have made them anyway. If you want to waste your college years dressing and talking the same way as the rest of your "bro's", then you have fun with that. Believe it or not, some people actually have to pay for school themselves.
I pay for my own school thank you very much and the pure ignorance you guys have towards fraternities shows that you know absolutely nothing. I don't pay for my friends and I don't dress like the rest of my "bros". Some of us simply like that a fraternity stands for something more than the friendship and provides structure. That doesn't make us douchebags we just want something different out of our college experience. If you want to call me a douchebag be my guest but I'm a proud member of a fraternity and I think you guys are being the douches for critiquing people harshly on their life choices on something you don't know much about if you haven't been a part of a fraternity.
Snowbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:31 PM #26
BenderBR
1%ing on you *****es
 
BenderBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Burrrlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbone View Post
I pay for my own school thank you very much and the pure ignorance you guys have towards fraternities shows that you know absolutely nothing. I don't pay for my friends and I don't dress like the rest of my "bros". Some of us simply like that a fraternity stands for something more than the friendship and provides structure. That doesn't make us douchebags we just want something different out of our college experience. If you want to call me a douchebag be my guest but I'm a proud member of a fraternity and I think you guys are being the douches for critiquing people harshly on their life choices on something you don't know much about if you haven't been a part of a fraternity.
We see how frats conduct themselves every day. The perceptions come from empirical expieriences. The outward actions are all we really need to see. In fact, I talked to a frat member yesterday. He just wanted to copy all the labs I just did and then spent the rest of the day texting and messaging other people to copy.
__________________
"Originally posted by Kellster: You always own me, breh. :("

"Originally posted by Kellster: Crow takes so good. Om nom nom."

Never miss a good opportunity to shut up.

Texas über alles.
BenderBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:37 PM #27
LOL Renegade
 
 
LOL Renegade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbone View Post
I pay for my own school thank you very much and the pure ignorance you guys have towards fraternities shows that you know absolutely nothing. I don't pay for my friends and I don't dress like the rest of my "bros". Some of us simply like that a fraternity stands for something more than the friendship and provides structure. That doesn't make us douchebags we just want something different out of our college experience. If you want to call me a douchebag be my guest but I'm a proud member of a fraternity and I think you guys are being the douches for critiquing people harshly on their life choices on something you don't know much about if you haven't been a part of a fraternity.
You call binge drinking and cheating through every course a different college experience?

Stop pretending like there's some esoteric and deep sentimentality in being in a frat. You just haven't been indoctrinated properly if you believe there's anything to a frat other than getting drunk, acting like boisterous tools, and then mooching of your bro's rich parents. If you want to continue the classic football jock/lax bro legacy that you left off back in high school, then by all means join a frat. If you actually want a meaningful college experience, make friends with intelligent people that like you for you. Not because you're just the next wave of pledges.


LOL Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:38 PM #28
Snowbone
Caleb Adrian
 
Snowbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Moscow, ID
Snowbone owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Snowbone has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Snowbone has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenderBR View Post
We see how frats conduct themselves every day. The perceptions come from empirical expieriences. The outward actions are all we really need to see. In fact, I talked to a frat member yesterday. He just wanted to copy all the labs I just did and then spent the rest of the day texting and messaging other people to copy.
What I'm saying is that you only see a small fraction of a the greek community. You see one member at a time that misrepresents his fraternity and that's not fair to the rest of the community. We are also talking about the difference between the typical "frat boys" you see in animal house and the fraternity men that it really matters to and they take it seriously. I'm sorry you have had a negative experience with the fraternity members you have encountered but I know not all of us are like that. Believe me I hate to be wrapped in with the people that pull that kind of crap you are talking about. I'm part of the greek population trying to separate ourselves and promote the positive image when this is all people focus on. All I'm asking is please don't persuade someone based on your negative experiences because the fraternities at their school may vary very differently from the guys at your school that you have met.
Snowbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:41 PM #29
LOL Renegade
 
 
LOL Renegade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbone View Post
What I'm saying is that you only see a small fraction of a the greek community. You see one member at a time that misrepresents his fraternity and that's not fair to the rest of the community. We are also talking about the difference between the typical "frat boys" you see in animal house and the fraternity men that it really matters to and they take it seriously. I'm sorry you have had a negative experience with the fraternity members you have encountered but I know not all of us are like that. Believe me I hate to be wrapped in with the people that pull that kind of crap you are talking about. I'm part of the greek population trying to separate ourselves and promote the positive image when this is all people focus on. All I'm asking is please don't persuade someone based on your negative experiences because the fraternities at their school may vary very differently from the guys at your school that you have met.
We're not arguing that all of them like that. The point is that the few (Not really sure if it's even appropriate to say it's a few, because it's actually a majority) who "misrepresent" it, pretty much ruin the whole image and that's all you really need to know.
LOL Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:50 PM #30
Snowbone
Caleb Adrian
 
Snowbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Moscow, ID
Snowbone owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Snowbone has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Snowbone has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL Renegade View Post
We're not arguing that all of them like that. The point is that the few (Not really sure if it's even appropriate to say it's a few, because it's actually a majority) who "misrepresent" it, pretty much ruin the whole image and that's all you really need to know.
Ok well we agree the greek community has a bad image because of individuals that you say all they do is binge drink and cheat through college. There is more to a fraternity to that and you simply can't understand unless you have been in one. Please don't call out every person in a fraternity and call them a drunk cheating tool. That's offensive to me and I'm not sitting here being a douche to you because I'm in a fraternity so please leave all your hate and name calling out of it but if you want to have a discussion about it that's fine.
Snowbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:28 PM #31
chodeyg
sprezzatura
 
chodeyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: via lactea
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchAngelIon View Post
We had a player from a well established east coast Xball program that went Greek and attempted to play paintball and well... pass classes.

The practices he did attend he would play a point, and than go to the sideline and just vomit up alcohol and bile and later pass out.

Mostly everyone who goes Greek gets in trouble with the law. At first he got a simple underage drinking ticket. He later got caught with weed on campus. The icing on the cake is when his buddy was driving and he was drinking a beer underage in the car.

He ended up so much in debt to fight his charges, he couldn't afford paintball and his parents pulled the plug and he is now a college drop out.

Frats have many instances of rape, forced drinking, and homo erotic hazing.

Your best bet is to stay the **** away, and join clubs relevant to your academic interests.
This. I don't know how you can consider yourself a man and go through any form of hazing to fit in with a group. I really don't.
__________________
Resurrect dead on planet Jupiter
chodeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:58 PM #32
chazchazchaz
Truth
 
chazchazchaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Greensboro, NC.
chazchazchaz plays in the PSP
chazchazchaz posts videos on PbNation
chazchazchaz plays in the APPA D3 division
My best friend's in Delta Tau Delta and he's not a typical fraternity member at all. So making generalizations about them all isnt correct. Personally I think its a waste of time and money. Most students do it because they're young and trying to find out who they want to be in life and a Frat provides a model for them to gain acceptance on a huge campus full of strangers and judgement.
chazchazchaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:44 PM #33
pacasowithagun
SMASH! Now clean it up!!
 
pacasowithagun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 410/Kiladelphia
pacasowithagun owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
pacasowithagun is an NCPA National Champion
To the guys who are actually in a frat:

What exactly does a sweet-heart do in your frat? Had this discussion with my roommate the other day and we came to the conscience that they are pretty much the frat groupies (read: ***-dumpsters). Does that hold any merit, or just another generalization like the "bro" persona of frats?
__________________
2009-2010 NCPA Class A National Champions
I offer 3D printing services! PM me!
Greg Hoge
pacasowithagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:32 PM #34
sucka T.
 
 
sucka T.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: GA
 has been a member for 10 years
out of everyone i have met that was in a sorority or fraternity, only one was actually cool and nice, the rest were pretentious douche bags and stuck up *****es....just my experience though
__________________
1st Annual ST Friendship BBQ

ThreadSavers®

http://www.ohnoes.org/

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...hreadid=891102
sucka T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:50 PM #35
Mr.JimJims2.0
G.O.O.D
 
Mr.JimJims2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Mr.JimJims2.0 plays in the PSP
Mr.JimJims2.0 plays in the APPA D4 division
There are probably tons of people in your classes and that you meet that are greek and you wouldn't know it because they're just regular guys/girls. Yes there are a lot of douches, but times are changing and there are a lot of great guys too that have friends that are greek, non-greek, and even in other fraternities.

To the guy who was wondering about sweethearts; unfortunately that is often the case. Sometimes it's just a girl that everyone likes because it's someone's sister or something and she brings her friends around a lot. Or it's a longtime girlfriend of one of the bro's and she gets along with everyone.
__________________
San Francisco Edge.
2007 ego for sale!
Santa Clara Paintball**Fatlace

NCC!
Mr.JimJims2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:39 PM #36
coltgibby
 
 
coltgibby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Currently pledging at a fraternity now in my sophomore year, so I've seen both sides. There are going to be some douche bags anywhere you go so that argument is invalid. There are probably 3 or 4 guys in the house I'm pledging at that I can see me never being very good friends with.The whole rape thing seems to happen more often with people not greek (at least at my school). I have plenty of friends, who are not greek, so I didn't need to "buy" friends.

It was a hard decision to go greek for me because my parents are pretty conservative, and are by no means loaded. I saw going greek as an opportunity to network, take a leadership position to put on my resume and have fun while doing all of that. Also, my pledge ship seems like a job process to me. I got the job after the interview (rushing). I'm starting off in a low level position (pledge). Eventually, I will work my way up into a higher more important position (brother/ executive committee).
coltgibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:26 AM #37
eforce
Factory PB
 
eforce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Chicago
Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacasowithagun View Post
To the guys who are actually in a frat:

What exactly does a sweet-heart do in your frat? Had this discussion with my roommate the other day and we came to the conscience that they are pretty much the frat groupies (read: ***-dumpsters). Does that hold any merit, or just another generalization like the "bro" persona of frats?
I would say that 70% are coming to get drunk and laid, 20% are there to socialize, and the remaining 10% are there for their boyfriends or to babysit everyone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sucka T. View Post
out of everyone i have met that was in a sorority or fraternity, only one was actually cool and nice, the rest were pretentious douche bags and stuck up *****es....just my experience though
There's no denying that part about sororities... they tend to take it way too seriously, more so than fraternities. Any time you hear the phrases "classy," "top house," or "reputation" don't bother listening any further.
eforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:52 AM #38
sucka T.
 
 
sucka T.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: GA
 has been a member for 10 years
yeah, i really say that out of anger because i have to walk past the sorority and fraternity houses 15-30 times a week and see tons of stupidity. there are good people in them.
__________________
1st Annual ST Friendship BBQ

ThreadSavers®

http://www.ohnoes.org/

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...hreadid=891102
sucka T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:21 AM #39
diablodow
The fluffy snake player
 
diablodow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Charlotte
diablodow supports Cereal Killerz 2
diablodow is for the Gunfight
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacasowithagun View Post
To the guys who are actually in a frat:

What exactly does a sweet-heart do in your frat? Had this discussion with my roommate the other day and we came to the conscience that they are pretty much the frat groupies (read: ***-dumpsters). Does that hold any merit, or just another generalization like the "bro" persona of frats?
OK as a preface our free system is pretty small probably less than 10% of our student population but our sweetheart is pretty much the opposite of a "*** Dumpster" she bakes for us every now and then and comes to all our formal events, also she tends to call us up for help on homework ( organic chemistry lol). For us at least the sweetheart is a good way to build a closer connection to her house pretty much. Our situation up here at the university of north Dakota isn't a damn thing like down south though.
__________________
NMP paintball.
ΣΦΕ
diablodow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:25 AM #40
FreeAgentISU
fya
 
FreeAgentISU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
FreeAgentISU is for the Gunfight
FreeAgentISU is an NCPA player
FreeAgentISU plays in the APPA D5 division
FreeAgentISU has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
FreeAgentISU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:45 AM #41
Plan B 13
 
 
Plan B 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeAgentISU View Post
I would love to spend my Friday nights like this guy, writing songs about organizations that I could never get into, while they are out partying and banging the girl of my dreams. Honestly, this just made me want to go greek even more. Greek life at WVU is amazing, definitely hop around frat row before your sure about where you want to pledge, your going to have the time of your life.
__________________
1017 BRICKSQUAD
Plan B 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:33 PM #42
Hu$tler$ Kid 27
yeah dad
 
Hu$tler$ Kid 27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ewing, NJ
Hu$tler$ Kid 27 supports Team VICIOUS
if you're at a big school do it. I myself go to a small school and decided to take a shot at joining fraternity. Shortly after the pref rush process, I decided it wasn't for me. In my experience I noticed that most people in the fraternity were in it for all the wrong reasons; they mostly did it to get girls that they couldn't get on their own. Also, I wasn't down with kissing brother's ***** that I didn't like. I'm the kind of person who doesn't like being told what to do and is upfront about how I feel about others, I just didn't like that aspect of it. However, I have friends who go to large schools that are in well-organized fraternities that actually maintain a brotherhood. From my experience, it's not something worth doing unless you are extremely adamant about doing. Fortunately, I found my niche in the form of club lacrosse; its something that I really enjoy doing and I have met friends and made connections that will last a lifetime.
Hu$tler$ Kid 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump