Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-28-2012, 02:53 PM #1
bobbybowman90

Ion Help

Need help with an ion I just upgraded. Installed new detents, eyes, tech t l7 bolt, and virtue redefined board. I am trying to tune my gun for consistency and have followed the other threads advice. I set my dwell to 14 clicks and operating pressure is at 160 psi. I only get about 800 shots off a 68/4500 pe tank. Is there anyway to increase this? When I lower the operating pressure to 140 or 120 I have extremely low velocity and turning up the dwell does not compensate for this.
bobbybowman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-28-2012, 07:27 PM #2
ballahamman32
BOOM!!

Annual Supporting Member
ballahamman32 is BST Legit
ballahamman32 is playing at Living Legends VII
ballahamman32 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
ballahamman32 supports DLX Technology
ballahamman32 supports Empire
That's pretty efficient for an ion lol your doing well I'd say!

I fix ions leaks not shooting tuning, I also fix broken ion boards pm me for prices on any ion instillations or prices for fixing/ maintenance!!

SMART PARTS ION PARTS STOCK/UPGRADED ------> http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...7#post77505767
ballahamman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:26 PM #3
Punisher068

Do you have a QEV also?This will make the most difference for efficiancy,not too bad a shot count thou,all spool valve markers use more air than poppet markers do
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/c...-progress.html
Our teams home field PBN thread
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4292217
Punisher068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:40 AM #4
bobbybowman90

I have a 360 qev said it was for the newer smart parts markers though but the guy at the shop said they were the same and it would work. I just heard people bragging about how they could get 1000-1300 shots off a tank and was wondering if something was wrong with my gun.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:01 PM #5
Punisher068

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybowman90 View Post
I have a 360 qev said it was for the newer smart parts markers though but the guy at the shop said they were the same and it would work. I just heard people bragging about how they could get 1000-1300 shots off a tank and was wondering if something was wrong with my gun.
Sounds like yor gun is fine,maybe those fools are using a 113 ci tanks!the 360 will fit any Ion/sp1 based markers as far as i know,maybe you have a small leak, but it sounds about consistant with my (5) Ions,you can use some bubble blowing solution on a qtip to check and see for leaks,QEVs have a tendancy to have a slight leak,clean them when you relube your marker and it will save you alot of hassle
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/c...-progress.html
Our teams home field PBN thread
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4292217
Punisher068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:29 PM #6
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

aresfiend plays in the APPA D4 division
aresfiend has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend supports Empire
800 off of a 68/45 seems pretty ****ty, especially considering I was getting ~380 off of a 48/3k before ups.

Using small paint that was ~130 rounds a pod, I got 1,430 shots when I still played with a 68/45 after upgrading my marker.

Also, with an Ion you don't pick a pressure then set the velocity, your velocity is directly influenced by your pressure. The lower the pressure, the lower the velocity. Dwell will never compensate for that.

I'd suggest 13ms dwell and whatever pressure gets you to 285 fps, or if you feel like taking the time to play with it and have the resources, playing with orings in the can/breech/bolt to get it down to 10ms reliably.

EΔRL
aresfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:11 AM #7
bobbybowman90

But shouldn't the pressure for an ion never go above 160?
Old 12-05-2012, 11:18 AM #8
theblindchicken
49'er

theblindchicken is an NCPA player
theblindchicken is an NCPA National Champion
theblindchicken plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybowman90 View Post
But shouldn't the pressure for an ion never go above 160?
You're fine up to 180.. I think the solenoid is rated up to 200psi, but going over 180 will cause problems in ions.
theblindchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:42 PM #9
ReynardHonda

180 is the recommended operating PSI according to the SP manual. My son runs an Ion XE with L7 bolt engine and for him to get 280-285 fps it's about about 150-160 PSI. 800 would be about what he is getting also so I think you're in pretty good shape. We haven't messed with dwell etc. so I'm sure we could and squeeze out a bit more but I don't think you are too bad at all.
ReynardHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:39 PM #10
tyronejk
titular

tyronejk is an NCPA player
tyronejk plays in the APPA beginner division
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblindchicken View Post
You're fine up to 180.. I think the solenoid is rated up to 200psi, but going over 180 will cause problems in ions.
180 psi is the factory recommended settings, but 200 psi is still fine in Ions. Not anything over that though. (You can check the manual )

Theoretical max efficiency of a marker
Automated paintball turret
tyronejk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:39 PM #11
theblindchicken
49'er

theblindchicken is an NCPA player
theblindchicken is an NCPA National Champion
theblindchicken plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReynardHonda View Post
180 is the recommended operating PSI according to the SP manual. My son runs an Ion XE with L7 bolt engine and for him to get 280-285 fps it's about about 150-160 PSI. 800 would be about what he is getting also so I think you're in pretty good shape. We haven't messed with dwell etc. so I'm sure we could and squeeze out a bit more but I don't think you are too bad at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyronejk View Post
180 psi is the factory recommended settings, but 200 psi is still fine in Ions. Not anything over that though. (You can check the manual )
Proved wrong once again! Maybe it's time I brushed up on the Ion manual instead of my Epiphany one.
theblindchicken is offline   Reply With Quote