PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-21-2012, 08:31 PM #22
rexisme

Annual Supporting Member
rexisme supports DLX Technology
I had no issues whatsoever with my axe until I tried to put a lurker bolt into it. I guess the old saying of,"if something ain't broke, dont fix it," holds true.

Once I did the bolt I had nothing but problems. Partly user error because I do not believe the gun was broke in completely before installing it. Partly I think the part is junk. I do not want to get into a discussion about how great the bolt is and how retarded I am, either way, I do not give a ****. If you do, feel free to purchase it from me. I've had several guns with aftermarket bolts, several guns I've maintained and they shoot/work flawlessly. This one for whatever reason I just could not get dialed in.

With that being said, once I returned the axe to stock, I had leaks all over the place. What I did, I reset the board back to stock. Took the gun completley apart, replaced every single o ring, the poppet o ring, poppet seal, and ended up finally replacing the poppet spring. After doing all that, the gun is back to shooting flawless again. Its very easy to maintain, just take your time. Plus, chances are, if your leak is coming out of the tip of your bolt its either the poppet o ring or the poppet seal.

I believe if you ever shot your axe when it was working properly, you will never be happy with another mid level marker as you would be with the axe. It truely is an amazing gun for the money.
Advertisement
Old 11-27-2012, 11:51 PM #23
miamiboy_187
Gettin' $ome

miamiboy_187 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
miamiboy_187 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
miamiboy_187 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Get a Mini
miamiboy_187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:52 PM #24
dps093
I like Flexes

Annual Supporting Member
dps093 is BST Legit
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
dps093 is Legendary
dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports Empire
Eteks or egos
dps093 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:07 AM #25
tvise
USPN Hollister CA

tvise owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tvise owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tvise posts videos on PbNation
tvise has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJefe13 View Post
Spyder or Tippmann
Spyder may be the worst electronic markers produced..... ever..
Old 11-29-2012, 10:13 PM #26
die.another.day

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvise

Spyder may be the worst electronic markers produced..... ever..
Spyder is the worst paintball brand ever...
die.another.day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:14 AM #27
h23vtec
daddylongdong

h23vtec owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
h23vtec has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
etek
h23vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:48 PM #28
Morbidrequiem

Honestly, just about any well maintained mid range marker will be as reliable as the other. People say G6r's have issues; never had an issue with mine whereas I had horrible reg creep multiple times with my Axe. Ego's and Etek's are the simple of the simple to use and maintain. I've seen guys go through a full day of play with sand all through the firing chamber, no issues.

The rest comes down to preference in what you are looking for. Treat your gun well and it will do the same for you.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:51 AM #29
dominantgazelle
Cal Poly San Luis Obispo

dominantgazelle plays in the APPA D4 division
dominantgazelle is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
dominantgazelle supports DLX Technology
My SL74's never let me down. It sprung an O-ring the first time I played it but I simply used an o-ring provided with it and it's been working ever since.
dominantgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:01 PM #30
FXBaller

FXBaller is for the Gunfight
FXBaller is for the Gunfight
FXBaller has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
FXBaller has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno2inferno View Post
Shot quality is only a part of articulating the performance argument. Your claim that it is loud is true, but kick you are quite mistaken. Consequently, your claim is substantially flawed.

Yes the etek line is loud right out of the box, however, my etek 4 and many others I have seen, after break in quiet down substantially. It is still comparatively loud against other markers, which is true. The topic here though is on reliability, which the etek 4 trounced the Axe soundly. Any regular problems the etek encounters are easily fixable and it cab still perform, where as every time I see an Axe go down, it is down for the count. Thus, the more reliable and durable marker is the etek.

Secondly, only the narrow minded consider shot quality to be the begin all end all of performance. Factors such as rate of fire, maneuverability, gas consumption, battery usage, and softness on paint are factors that MUST be taken into account as well. In which case both markers are quite even except maybe the etek being more air efficient by about 1 pod. Sir, you are missing quite a lot in your argument about performance.

Lastly, the shot quality you describe only takes into account noise, which ignores other aspects of shot quality such a accuracy. Both markers shoot as accurately as any paintball gun can really. And if you attempt to bring up kick as con for the etek I recommend firing a real gun at a shooting range first. Anyone who has ever handled a real firearm recognizes that any paintball gun has no kick at all; it just subtly vibrates.

To conclude, that was way too narrow an argument on Axe versus Etek. They are spec wise equals in almost every regard except on one hand you trade noise for a bit of efficiency; their performance is then very similar. Besides, noise is also very relative. I shoot a wide range of markers of varying noise signatures and I could care less of how loud it is as long as the marker shoots paint accurately and can take a pounding.
Ok where should I start? Hmm. This is not an AP English essay. Second of all I have heard A broken in etek. It's not significantly quieter, it's still loud. Third of all axes do not normally go "down for the count". They have a simple oring fix or something along those lines. Empires customer service is amazing (as is planet eclipse's). As for the kick reference, this is not a battlefield and that's why he was describing kick. If we were in war guns would have a lot more kick, but this is paintball and he is referring to paintball guns and their kick related to other paintball guns. Axe>Etek
Diversity #02
FXBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:34 AM #31
inferno2inferno

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXBaller
Ok where should I start? Hmm. This is not an AP English essay. Second of all I have heard A broken in etek. It's not significantly quieter, it's still loud. Third of all axes do not normally go "down for the count". They have a simple oring fix or something along those lines. Empires customer service is amazing (as is planet eclipse's). As for the kick reference, this is not a battlefield and that's why he was describing kick. If we were in war guns would have a lot more kick, but this is paintball and he is referring to paintball guns and their kick related to other paintball guns. Axe>Etek
Thorough arguments are not necessarily a bad thing :-/. Anyhow, I still contest the loudness after break in claim. When I got my etek I did not mind the noise too much although it was undeniably louder than other markers. But, after break in, it was just as loud as other poppet markers, but then again it is relative. For kick, i do seriously recommend firing a pistol at your local shooting range if possible. Then pick up any paintball gun, an watch "kick" disappear as a feeling. Paintball guns have no kick after experience a target firearm. This even goes beyond a marker to marker comparison; they really all feel the same kick wise, none at all. Which is why I was claiming that kick is not necessarily the best ground of comparison for markers. For the reliability question, I guess it boils down to different sets of experience. Anytime I have seen an axe go down, it was down, otherwise they perform impressively. So I guess there is some sample bias on my part there, but what I claim remains true based on that experience nonetheless.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:09 PM #32
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

I really can't stand when people compare a firearm's recoil to a paintball gun's. We're not comparing markers to firearms; we're comparing markers to markers. The argument is that the Etek has a greater recoil compared to other paintball markers, not a greater recoil compared to a firearm.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:22 PM #33
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAKESNIPER
I really can't stand when people compare a firearm's recoil to a paintball gun's. We're not comparing markers to firearms; we're comparing markers to markers. The argument is that the Etek has a greater recoil compared to other paintball markers, not a greater recoil compared to a firearm.
The point he's making is the difference between markers, particularly between mid and high end electros, is so minuscule as to render it completely undistinguishable.
ElJefe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:02 PM #34
Goumba

poppits by far are more reliable.

also paintball is very different than the car industry in where a new entry level base model is less reliable than the flagship model that is 5-7 years old.

so what i am suggesting is get a high end gun from a few years ago where used prices are cheap. I would go with a poppit gun they are dummy proof.

Look for a bob long vice, closer, victory , or protege if you want a gun made in america. I also believe alien made some things in the use

otherwise planet eclipse ego 7,8 are good choices, also

I would avoid a spool valve for what your needs are.

Now where to buy these guns i mentioned. Try
-ebay
-here (look in bet)
-google paintball forums and check any of the ones on the first page of googles for sale section (I like mcarterbrown).

Make sure to pay with paypal via a credit or debit card so you have buyer protection and dont gift your payment to avoid fees.

- Cheers
Old 12-12-2012, 08:58 AM #35
2pipes
Legend in my own MIND

2pipes owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
2pipes supports Team VICIOUS
2pipes has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
2pipes supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman788
So What's the most reliable gun that would be a downgrade from the axe. I don't need a high end marker since I'm not playing any tournaments.

How's the Etha? Or something.

Thanks!
First an Axe really isn't a high end. Shots like one in a lot of respects though. As for downgrade and reliable, I have to say Bob Long Vice or Older Intimidators. So reliable in fact that it is difficult to find them less than $300 unless really old. When you go back more than 6 years then parts are harder to find so the reliability dives if you have a problem you can 't fix.

Seriously, stay with the Axe trading or selling it will not yield a big cash windfall and you are likely to spend most of it getting another gat.

Ronnie Dixon fan club #30
2pipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:37 AM #36
SPYDRMN22
Private Labels Only!

has been a member for 10 years
You guys are funny and you all sound like noobs that don't play enough woodsball,eteks are loud for a couple of reasons,the barrel is a big cause as well as kick and yes all guns have kick and some have less the others.Ive played for many years and shot almost every marker out there and to answer your question any gun is reliable if you take care of it and maintain it now if your looking for a straighter shot or faster rate of fire then yes you should look as specific guns ,spool valves etc. Now as far as spiders being the worst guns you guys are wrong again because I guarantee you can get a Walmart brass eagle gun that is worse.Dont spend so much time on having the top of the line stuff or the newest or greatest new gun because at the end of the day if your a sucky paintball player the best gun in the world won't guarantee you kills, but playing,practice,and using your brain will.I see people wearing the coolest gear and shooting the best guns at the fields every weekend and get mowed down by some park rat with a old spider or cocker so to answer your question I tech for many stores here in Cali and the gun I see the least for repair are Tippmans and Spyders.

My PBN Feedback
My AOG Feedback
Old Feedback
SPYDRMN22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:47 AM #37
paintballcrazy94

paintballcrazy94 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
paintballcrazy94 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
paintballcrazy94 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
paintballcrazy94 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
paintballcrazy94 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
just buy a poppet, an etek, never need to clean it and shoots ropes all day
Old 12-27-2012, 07:56 AM #38
miyo00124
Prospects For Life

miyo00124 supports Team VICIOUS
miyo00124 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
miyo00124 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman788 View Post
I'll check for an 07 ego or possibly an etek 2/3.
Thanks!
dont get an etek if its possible eteks in my opinion are garbage i had one when i first started out and i hated it it shot like a jack hammer
Michael Young #11
LuxeMob
"Heart wins tournaments and we have heart"-AF
miyo00124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:32 AM #39
HarleyR62

Id take a nice used ego 08 over a new axe.... I have a 08 and it has been without a doubt the most reliable gun ive owned
HarleyR62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:30 PM #40
noclue119
D4 to D5 in 3 years.

Annual Supporting Member
noclue119 plays in the PSP
noclue119 plays in the MiLP
noclue119 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Here is the reliability of PE Egos

Ego7 > Ego8 > Ego10/11 > Ego09 > Ego06/05

If you take out the QEV for the Ego7 and replace it with a banjo bolt, basically the only thing that can go wrong is the LPR/HPR pistons.

Ego8's has 2 QEV and can snap rammer shaft

Ego10/11 are nice but i am not sold on the SL3 regs

Ego9 had the issues that were fixed with plank kit

Ego6/5 parts are hard to get.

Oh ya forgot Ego5/6/7/8 sounds like a bazooka.
noclue119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:30 AM #41
2pipes
Legend in my own MIND

2pipes owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
2pipes supports Team VICIOUS
2pipes has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
2pipes supports DLX Technology
My Ego 6 did not sound like a canon. 5 and 6 parts are hard to get and 9's did have issues. Not sure why the 11's where in the middle of your ranking.

PE Geo 2.0, 2.1, and 3's are solid markers. I really like Bob Long Intimidators Gen 5 "Vice" or Gen 6 "G6R", too.

Ronnie Dixon fan club #30
2pipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:23 AM #42
sameagol26
Youtube = BTDeltafan101

Annual Supporting Member
sameagol26 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
sameagol26 supports Empire
The whole point of this thread was to talk about reliability and ease of use. Also he clearly said that he doesn't need a tournament-ready gun (think ego, geo DMs, etc.). So let's get back on topic. For under $300 (a basic axe resale value) you can get any of these markers for a good price: empire mini, valken proton, proto rail, gog extcy/envy, tippmann crossover. Of these, it makes no sense to get a mini if you're not pleased with your current axe, as they're the same basic gun. The proto rail I used to own was plagued by reg leaks and bolt stick, so I'd avoid them. The crossover had trigger issues, but as far as I know they have been improved.. Still, tippmann has been in the game for a long time and have good c/s, so they're a safe marker to go with. Valken is very underrated for their product, and I have heard nothing but good reviews on the proton. However, my pick under the category of "most reliable and easiest sub-300 marker to maintain" would be the gog extcy ($249) or gog envy ($199). Very simple guns, great c/s, stock board has 3 options (semi, 3rdburst and full auto), which is all the settings u need for woods ball. Amazing shooters for their price!

That's my opinion
Citrus Connection #26
Storm Runners

Last edited by sameagol26 : 01-13-2014 at 09:26 AM.
sameagol26 is offline   Reply With Quote