Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-27-2012, 07:22 PM #337
stuff21397

Thats genius i've never had an issue with a regulator failing but i would either attribute it to no maintenance or debris. Could you have used a co2 filter? I know what those look like and they seem like they would be more durable than a filter screen.
stuff21397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-27-2012, 11:16 PM #338
rkenders
Northern Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuff21397 View Post
Thats genius i've never had an issue with a regulator failing but i would either attribute it to no maintenance or debris. Could you have used a co2 filter? I know what those look like and they seem like they would be more durable than a filter screen.
The problem with the CO2 filters I looked at is they were rated for 1000psi and I needed something that could do 5000 psi. All my fittings are typical PB gear except the pipe fitting and it's made of steel much thicker than the quick connect fittings so it's going to be solid too.

Considering that 3 nearly new regs failed immediately after being filled from the same air source is a huge coincidence. For them to have failed for lack of maintenance would more likely result in a single failure or sporadic problems before the scenario game. It is much more likely that trash from the rented system caused 3 nearly simultaneous failures. I didn't mention it earlier because I didn't think of it until now, but I was the first guy to get air from them after they got set up. They could have had dirt or who knows what in the fill equipment that got dumped into my tanks.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:45 AM #339
Joe13750

Joe13750 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Joe13750 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Joe13750 is for the Gunfight
Joe13750 is for the Gunfight
Does this mod work with the new techt H.E bolt engine as well or no? Has anyone tried
#7 ORLANDO
Joe13750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:57 AM #340
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

firefoxx04 supports Bob Gurnsey
firefoxx04 supports DLX Technology
the HE bolt might already have this "mod" done to it. one of the reasons it out performs the L7 engine.
firefoxx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:00 PM #341
MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkenders View Post
The problem with the CO2 filters I looked at is they were rated for 1000psi and I needed something that could do 5000 psi. All my fittings are typical PB gear except the pipe fitting and it's made of steel much thicker than the quick connect fittings so it's going to be solid too.

Considering that 3 nearly new regs failed immediately after being filled from the same air source is a huge coincidence. For them to have failed for lack of maintenance would more likely result in a single failure or sporadic problems before the scenario game. It is much more likely that trash from the rented system caused 3 nearly simultaneous failures. I didn't mention it earlier because I didn't think of it until now, but I was the first guy to get air from them after they got set up. They could have had dirt or who knows what in the fill equipment that got dumped into my tanks.
I've had one of these home made filters in my tool kit forever. It's saved my butt a few times. Especially at an event that's wet/muddy or whenever they use boosters to fill tanks. I just slip it on, fill up then toss it in my pocket.

The only difference in mine is I have an actual factory made brass filter inside of mine. It's made to stop large particles as well as oil/grease. Handy to have and easy to make.

ETEK 3LT, with 14" Ti boomstick and cure 3 + bolt F/S

Vanguard creed eyes, membrane, bolt pin, detents, gaskets, schraders, orings and more F/s[/color]

Old school angel poppets/cup seals(LCD and A4/speed), spring detents(not sure which models) F/S
MstrKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:32 PM #342
jackblack73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe13750 View Post
Does this mod work with the new techt H.E bolt engine as well or no? Has anyone tried
You should read the thread. The HE bolt is based on the mod.
jackblack73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:35 PM #343
van457

I use bob long tank fill nipples, they have filters in them. If your tank starts to fill slow you empty the tank, remove nipple and clean filter (wd 40 etc.) then reinstall nipple.
van457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:38 PM #344
CA_Tectonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by van457 View Post
I use bob long tank fill nipples, they have filters in them. If your tank starts to fill slow you empty the tank, remove nipple and clean filter (wd 40 etc.) then reinstall nipple.
Please tell me you are NOT using a petroleum-based product on ANY part that is involved with filling air at high pressure. For your safety and those around you, do not do this. Petroleum-based products in a high pressure environment is a recipe for a lethal disaster.
7th Element board, TechT bolt engine, magnet trigger kit, REV-I PMD, Sly Dual Carbon barrel kit, Prophecy V2, Crossfire SS 68/4500
Black and Silver Dangerous Power F8
APE Rampage board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, F8 gauge, REDZ barrel kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Polished Aluminum and Red Dangerous Power F8
Virtue board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
CA_Tectonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:57 PM #345
GraniteGargoyle

GraniteGargoyle is attending Decay of Nations VI
GraniteGargoyle supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Tectonics View Post
Please tell me you are NOT using a petroleum-based product on ANY part that is involved with filling air at high pressure. For your safety and those around you, do not do this. Petroleum-based products in a high pressure environment is a recipe for a lethal disaster.
I was going to ask about that.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:17 PM #346
van457

just on the filter then blow it out clean.

Last edited by van457 : 11-30-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:28 PM #347
GraniteGargoyle

GraniteGargoyle is attending Decay of Nations VI
GraniteGargoyle supports Empire
I would say to use some air to blow it out and take out the chance altogether.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:40 PM #348
liverlip

Annual Supporting Member
Maybe all references to the use of WD40 (first post, subsequent quotes and this post) should be deleted. Just in case a newcomer wanders in here and doesn't read through to the end.

][nvert User IS A THIEF
liverlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:22 PM #349
rkenders
Northern Colorado

To anyone who doesn't understand about high pressures and oils or has a limited understanding...

Oils can explode when compressed regardless of whether they are petroleum based or not. It's the same function inside a diesel engine. You compress the diesel fuel and as a result it explodes. There is no spark used to ignite the diesel.

Here's the caveat...
The tiny little bit of oil that stays in Van's BL filters is miniscule at best and NOT capable of creating a bomb out of an air tank. WD40 is an excellent dirt loosener. I use it similarly. Just keep in mind that you should do like he does and blow out the oil with your air compressor before putting the filter back on the regulator. You wont get enough oil in your tank that is worth mentioning. I have serviced a bunch of tank regulators and when I replace the o-rings, I use DOW33 to relube the tank regulator parts. DOW33 is part oil and part other things. I have yet to see a reg or tank blow up. So don't worry about it...anyone who gets all up tight and anxious over oil and high pressure tanks should sit down, relax, drink a beer and avoid spraying oil into their air tank. Worst case scenerio, if you are still unconvinced, just wash your parts in soapy water and rinse out your tank with soap and water to take out any possible trace of oils and you will have by then gone way over board in eliminating any chance of an explosion. By the way, what do you suppose high pressure air compressors are lubricated with? Ummmmmm OIL!!! LOL

On the subject of BL filter nipples...aren't those things like $20 each?

Techt HE bolts...
The bolt tail on the HE bolt is shortened to the exact length that I specify in my original post so shortening it further is not needed. The bolt head is a drop in exact fit for the older bolt. I don't know if you can buy just the HE bolt, but it is the part of the HE bolt that matters and then the most significant part of that is the shortened bolt tail. The plug in the tail makes a tiny difference and the plastic insert inside the bolt face helps a little with roll back.

Last edited by rkenders : 11-30-2012 at 09:45 PM.
rkenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:58 PM #350
rkenders
Northern Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MstrKey View Post
I've had one of these home made filters in my tool kit forever. It's saved my butt a few times. Especially at an event that's wet/muddy or whenever they use boosters to fill tanks. I just slip it on, fill up then toss it in my pocket.

The only difference in mine is I have an actual factory made brass filter inside of mine. It's made to stop large particles as well as oil/grease. Handy to have and easy to make.
Where did you get the brass filter? You do realize that anything that is porous will allow liquids regardless of how viscous they are to pass through them. If you want to capture oil and grease, you need a filter that has a trap on it like what compressor filters have. The air passes from the compressor tank through a filter that is inside a bowl, then the air exits out the top of the filter/trap. The idea is that anything NOT air falls out or if its particles is filtered out and stays inside the bowl. Any kind of tiny filter that is just a porous filter is NOT gong to stop liquids or grease. It will only block particles.

Last edited by rkenders : 11-30-2012 at 10:00 PM.
rkenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:06 AM #351
van457

Yea RK, I looked up bob long filters. They are $20 apiece. I guess I bought them back when I had money...
Old 12-09-2012, 06:35 PM #352
rkenders
Northern Colorado

I was using my G4 this weekend and developed a leak. I have the HE bolt in it. I couldn't see anything obvious when I pulled the bolt at the field so I pulled out a different gun and got back to playing. When I got home I was looking over the gun and found there was a tiny nick on the bolt o-ring. Minor fix to be sure, but so soon after getting it was kind of annoying.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:42 AM #353
MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkenders View Post
I was using my G4 this weekend and developed a leak. I have the HE bolt in it. I couldn't see anything obvious when I pulled the bolt at the field so I pulled out a different gun and got back to playing. When I got home I was looking over the gun and found there was a tiny nick on the bolt o-ring. Minor fix to be sure, but so soon after getting it was kind of annoying.
They're standard high pressure air line filters I bought at the local shop. They're a tight weave of brass, and almost look solid to the eye. You're right it's not going to stop any liquids but the tight weave can and does grab some of the more chunky greasy oily type dirt that's gotten in there. It's mainly for dirt and sand though. I'm hoping I don't get fills from systems that spew out actual oil.......that would be bad lol.

For the record, I have seen tanks burned from getting oil in them.

ETEK 3LT, with 14" Ti boomstick and cure 3 + bolt F/S

Vanguard creed eyes, membrane, bolt pin, detents, gaskets, schraders, orings and more F/s[/color]

Old school angel poppets/cup seals(LCD and A4/speed), spring detents(not sure which models) F/S
MstrKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:33 PM #354
rkenders
Northern Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MstrKey View Post
They're standard high pressure air line filters I bought at the local shop. They're a tight weave of brass, and almost look solid to the eye. You're right it's not going to stop any liquids but the tight weave can and does grab some of the more chunky greasy oily type dirt that's gotten in there. It's mainly for dirt and sand though. I'm hoping I don't get fills from systems that spew out actual oil.......that would be bad lol.

For the record, I have seen tanks burned from getting oil in them.
Not all oils combust under pressure. I think that any oil that would come from a high pressure compressor would by default need to be able to withstand 4500psi and NOT explode. So Any oil coming from the high pressure fill system would be safe.

Tell me where you got the screen from. I'm thinking of making a few more of these filters and don't have enough screen to make more.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:55 PM #355
stuff21397

I'm kind of confused. On tecth's website the image shows the new bolt weighing in at 6.3g and you weighed the one that you received at 7.2g; why is that?
Old 12-23-2012, 10:02 PM #356
xmc1146
Mount Vernon, Wa

xmc1146 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
xmc1146 is for the Gunfight
xmc1146 owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuff21397 View Post
I'm kind of confused. On tecth's website the image shows the new bolt weighing in at 6.3g and you weighed the one that you received at 7.2g; why is that?
Its advertising, but the bolt does work as advertised. Lesser kick, more effcient.
xmc1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:11 AM #357
stuff21397

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmc1146 View Post
Its advertising, but the bolt does work as advertised. Lesser kick, more effcient.
Thank you for the explanation.