Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-26-2012, 11:31 AM #43
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

you would not see a performance difference between an ego and a geo. they are both high end markers and have many of the same features.

geo is a bit quieter and smoother, ego is a bit louder and not quite as smooth, and a little more efficient and less maintenance. both are lightweight, have the same barrel, regulator, lcd screen board, trigger, etc.

heck, you really wont see a "performance difference" between an ego 7 and an ego 11. its like i said earler, once you start looking at guns that retailed past the $600 mark, it becomes more personal preference as they all peform about the same. neither one is "better" than the other. its like comparing a Ferrari to a Lamborghini. in the end all you need is 12.5 bps @ ~280fps.

personally i really like bob longs newer guns. my rapper has been extremely reliable and shoots really smooth. id love to try a G6R.

it sounds to me like you might just want to go play a few more times before buying your own gear. talk to some of the players at your field, ask them questions about their stuff. (lets face it we all like bragging on our gear ) so most people will let you hold their gun and get a feel for it. egos and geos are everywhere so it shouldnt be a problem finding someone who has one. then youll have an idea of what you like before you buy, and a chance to see whose gun went down because of what. (usually 90% user error).

buy pants before a jersey. personally i wear invert pants and an eclipse jersey.
Advertisement
Old 11-26-2012, 12:03 PM #44
usaf_mech
Relentless Chaos

usaf_mech owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
usaf_mech supports Team VICIOUS
usaf_mech has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel_816 View Post
you would not see a performance difference between an ego and a geo. they are both high end markers and have many of the same features.

geo is a bit quieter and smoother, ego is a bit louder and not quite as smooth, and a little more efficient and less maintenance. both are lightweight, have the same barrel, regulator, lcd screen board, trigger, etc.
Are quieter, smoother and air efficiency not ways we grade performance? Poppets and spoolies shoot way different!

Quote:
heck, you really wont see a "performance difference" between an ego 7 and an ego 11. its like i said earler, once you start looking at guns that retailed past the $600 mark, it becomes more personal preference as they all peform about the same. neither one is "better" than the other. its like comparing a Ferrari to a Lamborghini. in the end all you need is 12.5 bps @ ~280fps.
Have you shot an ego or geo before? Its night and day on how they shoot. But i will agree all you need is a gun to shoot 12.5 @280 fps but if you cant hit say a cone from across field because the gun your using has a spread the size of a barn than whats the use.

Last edited by usaf_mech : 11-26-2012 at 12:06 PM.
usaf_mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:21 PM #45
hockeyfights118
I Bleed Blue

hockeyfights118 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
hockeyfights118 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
hockeyfights118 supports Empire
I guess I'l' visit my local shop this weekend and see if they have egos and geos.

What is usally good for a beginner, a poppet or spool?
hockeyfights118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:26 PM #46
usaf_mech
Relentless Chaos

usaf_mech owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
usaf_mech has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
poppet, easier maintenance wise.
usaf_mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:37 PM #47
hockeyfights118
I Bleed Blue

Great. So I am for sure considering the ego. Ego it is.

Hopper wise I keep hearing people tell me about the rotor and invert too. THere is obvioulsy a huge price difference so I am trying to determine which one is better in terms of performance and value.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:14 PM #48
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaf_mech View Post
Are quieter, smoother and air efficiency not ways we grade performance? Poppets and spoolies shoot way different!

Have you shot an ego or geo before? Its night and day on how they shoot. But i will agree all you need is a gun to shoot 12.5 @280 fps but if you cant hit say a cone from across field because the gun your using has a spread the size of a barn than whats the use.
i would not say they are "performance" differences. they are just different trade-offs. yes the geo is going to be a little smoother and and quieter, while the ego will be a little less smooth, but be more effecient and require less maintenance. but can you honestly say one "performs" better than the other i consider reliability, consistancy, build quality, and features a "performance difference". ex.: "is the stock feedneck going to keep my loader from flying off?" thats why i say its personal preference, someone may want something smoother, where as someone else may need the efficiency because they might not have access to all day air. but you cant say one is "better" than the other because they are both top notch. its just a matter of what your looking for in a marker.

and paint will make a bigger difference in your guns accuracy than the gun or barrel will.

and yea, ive owned an ego before. along with an ion, shocker, karnivor, dm6, pmr, various other autocockers, my rapper, 08 ego, borrowed a dm8 for a while, and im waiting to try out my valken proton i got in the mail the other day.

things i would like to try but dont have the money for: G6R is at the top of my list, followed by probably a macdev gun, and maybe a luxe.

Last edited by Rebel_816 : 11-26-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Rebel_816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:25 PM #49
hockeyfights118
I Bleed Blue

I really appreciate the help, guys.

I've decided to invest my money into a brand new ego11 and a dye rotor hopper. A ninja 68/4500 tank as well.

I still need help with pods and gear. Like what is good for pants and jerseys and pods packs?
Old 11-28-2012, 10:02 PM #50
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

eclipse makes great jerseys. im still rocking my 08 distortion and its held up great. lots of padding too. my invert pants have held up pretty well, the knees are still great but the velcro is getting a bit worn. JT teams have tons of knee padding, on the cheaper side, very sturdy, and no velcro to get ratty after a while. just make sure you dont buy the older teams with the big square kneepads if you go looking for used ones, the straight seam across the knees tore every time. i feel like eclipse, dye, and some empire pants are just a little overpriced though its good stuff. see if you can find last years on clearance somewhere if you can, since most yearly changes are just cosmetic, might as well try to save some cash.

pods i just buy whatevers cheapest, nows a good time since all the sites are having their holiday sales. you missed $1.14 per pod on ans's sale lol. i say buy them cheap because sooner or later no matter how hard to try to avoid it sooner or later they are going to break, get stolen, etc.

forget about the dye locklid pods, too pricey ($4 each!), too big and dont fit in a lot of packs well, the button wears out over time, overall just over-complicated.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:18 AM #51
hockeyfights118
I Bleed Blue

Great, thanks.

What about a backup marker in case my main ego breaks?

Also, if I have the money for a Geo should I buy that over the ego?

Last edited by hockeyfights118 : 11-29-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:11 AM #52
2pipes
Legend in my own MIND

2pipes owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
2pipes supports Team VICIOUS
2pipes has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
2pipes supports DLX Technology
BL Vice is what I have as a backup to my G6R. So if you are using an Ego11 then I would suggest an older Ego. Similar maintenance programming etc.

As far as clothes DYE are top notch. A little more expensive but they last. If cost is an issue, buy used. Sometimes you can even find new on clearance because they are last years editions.

Ronnie Dixon fan club #30
2pipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:08 AM #53
hockeyfights118
I Bleed Blue

So to clarify things, the GEO and EGO11 are the same performance wise yet one is poppet and one is spool. And since the ego is poppet and is easier for maintenance I should get that one?
Old 11-29-2012, 04:38 PM #54
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

you can get either one, you wont be left wanting more if thats what your wondering. the maintenance on a geo isnt intricate or aynthing, just not quite as simple as the ego. with the amount of money were talking about spending you might just want to wait till you can look and hold one of each in person at your local field if possible.

go to youtube, and look up reviews on each gun. theres another big paintball site that does pretty good reviews on each gun and shows how to perform the maintenance on them and does an effeciency test. we cant link his vids here because him and pbnation had a bit of a falling out lol....just look for the bald guy with a ton of video reviews . anyway his vids should give you an exact idea of what the maintenance is like for pretty much any gun out there as hes done one on almost all of them.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:22 PM #55
FXBaller

FXBaller is for the Gunfight
FXBaller is for the Gunfight
FXBaller has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
FXBaller has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfights118 View Post
Thanks for the advice, guys.

I hate to sound like a preppy brat, but I would only want a gun new. I know this sounds crazy but i have had bad experiences with used things and though I am sure paintballers are trustworthy I would like to buy a new gun to call my own. The feeling of holding a gun that I bought new just doesnt get old. I know it sounds lame, but I hate used things.

And I will be playing much more than once or twice a year. I expect to play at least twice a month maybe more if I find that I really like it.

I'll go to my local shop and maybe feel around a couple markers and see what I like. Are there any brands and manufactures that I should buy or stay away from?
Here, if you like the axe, here is a setup... (Keep in mind this is my opinion)

Gun: Axe
Hopper : empire prophecy z2 or dye rotor
Tank: 68/50 4500 carbon fiber tank (ninja)
Gear : up to you get brands like (dye,planet eclipse,empire,hk army, nxe, jt)

I calculated how much money for paint leftover you will have( excluding gear)
210$ and that is with taxes... So if you want to keep the axe as your choice (good choice for someone not completely into the sport yet, but still a great gun) and the 1000$ budget, you will have 210 after this setup leftover

If you want an ego I strongly reccomend it (if you have the money)...
If you want any other suggestions I suggest brands like dye, bob long, planet eclipse, empire)

By the way, the geo will give a smooth shot but will use more air, an ego will be louder and kickier but will be very efficient.
Also if you haven't seen already, cyborg rx's are available new on macdevs website. Those are smooth and efficient as hell and perform like an ego with a name behind it.
Diversity #02

Last edited by FXBaller : 11-29-2012 at 05:26 PM.
FXBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:08 PM #56
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

also you mentioned earlier about soft gear and i said you missed the sales, turns out they are still on. ans has valken jerseys marked down from $35 to $8 lol. also a good time to stock up on pods.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:57 PM #57
hockeyfights118
I Bleed Blue

Thanks guys. One last question. What maintenance will I have to do to my Geo?

You guys mentioned that a geo is requires more work.

Also, I am worried about the bolt on top of the ego hitting me in the face. Is that silly or what?
Old 11-29-2012, 08:49 PM #58
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

yep its silly considering it doesnt come out past the milling.

the video i was referring to will answer the question about the maintenance for your geo. it will show how to take it apart, lube the o-rings, and put it back together.

he even has a CSL vs. geo 2.1 vs. ego 11 vid too.

Last edited by Rebel_816 : 11-29-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Rebel_816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:17 PM #59
hockeyfights118
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
yep its silly considering it doesnt come out past the milling.

the video i was referring to will answer the question about the maintenance for your geo. it will show how to take it apart, lube the o-rings, and put it back together.

he even has a CSL vs. geo 2.1 vs. ego 11 vid too.
What is the milling? So if I put my cheek against an ego on the bolt it wont move to hit me?

And thanks, I found the videos
Old 11-29-2012, 09:38 PM #60
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

milling....i.e. when the gun is milled from a block of aluminum. maybe i should have said the body instead. the pin is still exposed but no the bolt wont hit you. i cant even see how youd get your head that far forward anyway. your cheek will end up against your tank, not your gun.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:44 AM #61
hockeyfights118
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
milling....i.e. when the gun is milled from a block of aluminum. maybe i should have said the body instead. the pin is still exposed but no the bolt wont hit you. i cant even see how youd get your head that far forward anyway. your cheek will end up against your tank, not your gun.
Thanks you for the help.

I am still deciding between the geo and ego.

And what is the deal on the LUXE?
Old 11-30-2012, 11:42 AM #62
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

They're the newest iteration of the smart parts shocker. Pretty cool and real quiet. Pricey.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:24 PM #63
Nsimich

Nsimich owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Nsimich has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Nsimich supports DLX Technology
personally i would go with the ego 11, ego's don't require a lot of maintenance they are the work horse of the high end paintball guns imo, they are loud though, my first high end gun was an etek 3 (basically a cheaper ego) and the only problem i ever had with it was forgetting to replace the battery. as far as getting the axe, i do not know one person who has an axe who doesn't regret getting it.

for the hopper i really like the rotor, people always say they jam all the time, i have literally never had my rotor jam once or break one ball, and i shoot the crap paint the field i play at sells.

tank is really dependent on what feels right to you. i like the 68/45 but i know people who really like the 50/45

as far as the mask i love the proflex, easy to breath super comfortable.
Nsimich is offline   Reply With Quote