Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-20-2012, 07:25 PM #1
marceldacs

marceldacs is playing at Living Legends VI
marceldacs owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
marceldacs has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
how do electronic triggers work?

For example what are the different types of triggers? Does the "resistance" in the trigger come from a magnet or a spring. In the case of the reflex rail, drone, axe, and etek 3/4. How do they compare because i hear people complaining about the drone's trigger.
marceldacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-20-2012, 08:14 PM #2
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

the trigger pushes against a small switch on the board, when that switch is pressed, it sends a signal to the board and tells the gun to fire.

some guns use a spring to push the trigger back forward, some use magnets. eclipse has always used magnet returns, i cant say for the rest. it should say in the markers description however.

the thing is, almost all of those guns will have some way to adjust the trigger. most guns will have 3 points of adjustment, how far away from the switch the trigger is, when it stops moving, and the return strength (how hard it is to pull). there should be a set screw for each adjustment.

spring vs. magnet is totally personal prefference. theres also a huge possibility that the people who complain about it just arent taking the time to set it exactly how they want it. (it can take a while sometimes lol)

sometimes people just dont clean their stuff thoroughly and paint gets in the spaces behind a trigger which can make them feel odd too.

ive never heard anything about macdev's triggers, dunno where you got that info from. besides, theres always aftermarket triggers if you just dont like your current one. nowadays any gun thats $300+ is going to have a decent trigger.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:15 AM #3
Nobody609

Nobody609 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
there are also different pulls on a microswitch(25gram, 50gram and 80 gram) which can make the trigger pull itself light as a feather or heavy(for an electro). you also have in some guns, optical sensors, where the trigger breaks the beam and causes the gun to fire.

some people will also use pen springs, or go to hardware stores or even order online for springs. its a very personal thing, where people have specific and definite specs for the triggers and how they want and like them.

magnets, they are a subject onto themselves. some people like them, some love them, and some hate them. i know some guns it works and some they don't. to me, each gun is different, so even with my own multitude of guns, i have triggers set up much different from gun to gun. hell, i have some guns where one trigger i like, but on a similar gun and with the same trigger i don't. its all about the feel.
Nobody609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:30 AM #4
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

Christian P is playing at Living Legends VI
Christian P is playing at Living Legends VII
Christian P has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Christian P is attending Decay of Nations VII
THe distance eletric bolts have to cover vs an autococker is about 1/3 the length but equal feet per second launch. It's just evalution of the marker.
Christian P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:17 PM #5
cpt_crunch

cpt_crunch has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian P View Post
THe distance eletric bolts have to cover vs an autococker is about 1/3 the length but equal feet per second launch. It's just evalution of the marker.
I'm not sure if that even made sense
Lover of All Things Paintball
cpt_crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:57 PM #6
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Most paintguns use simple microswitches as their trigger.
These tend to be cheap, reliable, and provide a bit of tactile feedback when they're pulled.

A bit more rare are optical switches, which is an arrangement, of two parts: a small light emitter and an electronic "eye" that tries to see the light. When a part of the trigger passes through them the "eye" detects that the beam is light is broken and tells the circuit board to fire the gun. Optical triggers can theoretically be softer and shorter than microswitch triggers, but they're a bit "mushy" by comparison and offer no tactile feedback.

Those are by far the two most common types of electronic triggers, but there are a couple others out there. The old BE Rainmaker used a pushbutton trigger switch and I've heard of people custom installing piezoelectric and magnetic switches in guns.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:59 PM #7
masterofTHUMBS
boom headshot

masterofTHUMBS posts videos on PbNation
masterofTHUMBS is an NCPA player
masterofTHUMBS supports Pev's Paintball
masterofTHUMBS plays in the APPA D5 division
There are other triggers too besides microswitches/buttons and optical. The Mini uses a Hall Effect sensor. There is basically a magnetic sensor on a board near the trigger. The trigger has a small magnet it that is sensed by the sensor (duh). I think the A5/X7 has an egrip that uses HES too. It sometimes is a little picky because the trigger state is basically an analog value (imagine 0-0.5 is off, 0.5-1 is on, trigger can be any number between 0 and 1) versus a button that is either on or off.
masterofTHUMBS is offline   Reply With Quote