Old 11-26-2012, 11:33 PM #1
Elrondel
Paintball Newbie

Annual Supporting Member
Elrondel has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Elrondel has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Elrondel has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Typist jobs - Young Gun LF Advice

Hey guys, so I'm a Young Gun looking for some advice. I've heard that Typist jobs pay decent rates (Looking to make some side money for paintball while in high school and have limited time), and if anyone has done something like this, I'd like some information about where to advertise / what a job would entail. I don't have much experience in the "typist" field, but I can consistently type 110+ WPM from text next to me or on screen with minimal mistakes.

Any information or help (Or the right forum!) would be greatly appreciated.
Elrondel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-27-2012, 09:37 PM #2
Promagistrate
such motto

Promagistrate owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Promagistrate has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Promagistrate has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Promagistrate supports DLX Technology
Most typists must pass a grueling 72 hour typing marathon exam in the gulag before they're even considered for a position, even at the lower levels. Want to record episodes of Maury in closed captioning? Don't even think about it until you've frozen your fingers off on an old-fashioned typewriter next to Yuri and Gustav.

tl;dr flip burgers
wat
wat
Promagistrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:26 PM #3
Oedipus
god save captain slow

Oedipus supports DLX Technology
I actually pondered this question a lot today (shows how busy I was) and while I know that "typist" jobs do exist with that title, you're more likely to end up in "data input" or some other pseudonym for putting ink to pixels.

OP, have you ever seen Office Space?
Old 11-29-2012, 02:11 PM #4
NCpaintballer
Zerokidz

has been a member for 10 years
NCpaintballer supports Team VICIOUS
NCpaintballer plays in the APPA D4 division
NCpaintballer has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I don't know if I have any real "advice" but I did have a job in the field about a year ago. Prior to getting the job I had zero experience in data entry but did list general computer experience on my resume. I wasn't specifically looking for that type of work but I applied to several government agencies just looking for a position to get my foot in the door. Most of the data entry positions are going to be entry level work either part time or full time and the pay is not going to be great. The good news for you is since it's entry level work being young & inexperienced won't matter too much. We've hired a few young people either just out of high school or even a few in school. The HS students were usually hired as paid office interns just because of the limited hours & schedule that they were available.

Biggest advice I have really is just general job seeking advice. Create a professional looking resume, not just a fill in the blank MS word template. Don't just apply online and never follow up. Call, email, & generally stay in contact with the places you apply to. Even if the place isn't hiring at the moment be sure to apply anyway and keep in contact from time to time.

In college I worked as a retail store manager for a wireless carrier and was in charge of hiring people for my store. Most of the people that applied were either in college or out of HS for a few years. I had tons of people apply all the time but if you just showed up with a paper application or a fill in the blank online app it went in the trash. If you put even a little effort into a resume or kept up contact you were likely to be considered or at the very least get an interview. I hired/interviewed a few people just because they were annoying the crap out of me all the time wondering if I had looked over their resume and if I would consider them.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:27 PM #5
I'm Batman
Total Noob w/ Good Gear

I'm Batman owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
I'm Batman has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I'm Batman has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
A professional resume goes a long way.

Just wanted a change so I changed names. Still the same ol' me, though.
NEW FEEDBACK
New Old Feedback
Old Old Feedback

Total Feedback: 19+/0-
I never finish anthi...
I'm Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:49 AM #6
Elrondel
Paintball Newbie

Annual Supporting Member
Elrondel has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Elrondel has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Elrondel has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I haven't seen Office Space o.o

I guess the main thing I was curious about was what kind of jobs like this existed; as an HSstudent without car, flexible hours are what appealed to me the most, since school and all. Everyone tells you to focus on school, which I'm doing, but checking out potential part time jobs doesn't hurt me either. Getting paid to type would-be amazing for me.
Elrondel is offline   Reply With Quote