Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-25-2012, 09:34 PM #1
Oscar mike

Oscar mike owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Oscar mike supports DLX Technology
G4 w/ techt l7 bolt breaking paint

I've had two g4's for @ 1 1/2 years and have been running the tech t bolt from the start. about two months ago the tech bolt in mine cracked. I sent it in and they sent me a new bolt. Now I constantly break paint in the barrel. At first I thought it was the all-star paint breaking in the colder weather so I changed to formula 13 paint. still having breaks. Keep in mind no breaks in the g4 with the same setup in my boys gun. His gun still running "older" bolt. I tried adjusting the dwell and then resetting the reg to shoot @ 275 - 280 fps. Still having breaks. I have reinstalled the stock bolt, left the dwell at stock 12 and set up to 13. reset reg to shoot 275 - 280 on both settings and now I have no breaks. Has anyone having this problem. It makes no sense since running stock bolt requires a higher reg setting. Is the bolt moving too fast and breaking the paint? The rate of fire has always been at 12 bps. It does it on semi or on psp. sometimes it does it on the first ball. it make take 10 balls to get a break. It is very inconsistent. FPS is always consistent 275-280. I even reset down to 255-260 and still got breaks with the tech bolt.I've relubed the bolt with dow33, shocker lube and tech gun salve. no difference between the lubes i've used. I haven't tried the techt bolt from the other G4 yet.
Anybody have any ideas or maybe have had this problem. It may just be coincidence that it started breaking paint with the new bolt. It looks the same as the old one. It is not the new HE bolt.
Oscar mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-25-2012, 09:42 PM #2
Trigger Finger
Yetipb.com

Trigger Finger has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Trigger Finger has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Trigger Finger has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Trigger Finger is attending Decay of Nations VI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar mike View Post
I've had two g4's for @ 1 1/2 years and have been running the tech t bolt from the start. about two months ago the tech bolt in mine cracked. I sent it in and they sent me a new bolt. Now I constantly break paint in the barrel. At first I thought it was the all-star paint breaking in the colder weather so I changed to formula 13 paint. still having breaks. Keep in mind no breaks in the g4 with the same setup in my boys gun. His gun still running "older" bolt. I tried adjusting the dwell and then resetting the reg to shoot @ 275 - 280 fps. Still having breaks. I have reinstalled the stock bolt, left the dwell at stock 12 and set up to 13. reset reg to shoot 275 - 280 on both settings and now I have no breaks. Has anyone having this problem. It makes no sense since running stock bolt requires a higher reg setting. Is the bolt moving too fast and breaking the paint? The rate of fire has always been at 12 bps. It does it on semi or on psp. sometimes it does it on the first ball. it make take 10 balls to get a break. It is very inconsistent. FPS is always consistent 275-280. I even reset down to 255-260 and still got breaks with the tech bolt.I've relubed the bolt with dow33, shocker lube and tech gun salve. no difference between the lubes i've used. I haven't tried the techt bolt from the other G4 yet.
Anybody have any ideas or maybe have had this problem. It may just be coincidence that it started breaking paint with the new bolt. It looks the same as the old one. It is not the new HE bolt.
sounds like a cold weather problem to me. did you try to raise the dwell with the techt bolt in? also what kind of loader are you using?

My Gear Bag Sale!!! Click Me!
Trigger Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:49 PM #3
Oscar mike

I went up to 14 with the dwell and i am using prophecy loader w/ z2 board. Paint is not breaking in the hopper. I thought it was cold weather also. Today it was 55 degrees outside. Not too cold. That is why dropped down to formula 13 paint.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:50 PM #4
Oscar mike

also no breaks with the stock bolt
Old 11-25-2012, 10:05 PM #5

Sounds like a defective bolt head. The ball may be rolling back enough to let the next ball drop down too far, causing it to clip that ball. Try and turn down the loader tension a little. Also consider changing all those the breech orings (that solved my problem when my bolt miscycled)
Old 11-25-2012, 10:07 PM #6
GraniteGargoyle

GraniteGargoyle is attending Decay of Nations VI
GraniteGargoyle supports Empire
Check detents maybe?
Old 11-25-2012, 10:19 PM #7
Oscar mike

I will try those. Thanks. With the Z2 board there are no tension settings. May try different loader.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:38 PM #8
MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
Check the detents first. That's the most common problem. Make sure they stick into the breech and retract FULLY. Next try another hopper to make sure that's not the problem. Make sure your gun battery isn't too low. Just try another one from a different package, don't trust battery testers.

Make sure your eyes are clean and funcional 100%. Try shooting over the chrony, then letting the gun sit a few minutes and shooting again. Does your velocity spike? If so you may have a creeping regulator.

Does the old bolt have a smaller diameter face than the new one? Rollback and cooler weather are a bad combo.

ETEK 3LT, with 14" Ti boomstick and cure 3 + bolt F/S

Vanguard creed eyes, membrane, bolt pin, detents, gaskets, schraders, orings and more F/s[/color]

Old school angel poppets/cup seals(LCD and A4/speed), spring detents(not sure which models) F/S
MstrKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:00 PM #9
kyotkyotkyot

Wasn't there 2 versions prior to the HE? First one caused stack jams, second had roll back. I could be completely wrong but I thought I read that somewhere.

In either case, I had the same issue. I found an oring that fit snugly on the bolt stem between the bolt and volume area. Also pulls a little of the stem out of that space gaining you some fps and consistency. Make sure you adjust your dwell down till it drops fps, then turn it up one.
kyotkyotkyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:41 PM #10
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

firefoxx04 supports Bob Gurnsey
firefoxx04 supports DLX Technology
if the stock bolt works fine but the tect breaks paint, its not a dwell or bolt speed issue.

if you have an ape board, set bolt return to 20-25 and dwell to 12ms (stock bolt snd techt bolt)

the techt runs a lower pressure which makes the bolt move slower. bps and dwell are irrelivent at this point.

try the techt bolt from the other g4 into the g4 having issues. also check your detents, battery, eyes. it sounds like the bolt is the cause though. does the the techt bolt sit to fsr forward or backward while in the breach?
firefoxx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:14 PM #11
Oscar mike

It looks like the bolt sits into the breach about the thickness of a fingernail. same distance as it did before.Battery is new I always check the old and new with volt meter new measured 9.45 volts. Not running the APE board .
Going out this next weekend, gonna try swapping the bolts.
Thanks for the help. I did not want to blame it on the bolt. kinda seen it as coincidence. I am also gonna change out the beach and bolt stop orings. If I get it figured out I will post up what I found wrong.

According to techt when I sent in the cracked bolt, there was only one bolt before releasing the HE. The difference was in the bolt stop

Last edited by Oscar mike : 11-26-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:50 PM #12
MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
I forgot you had two guns handy. I guess switching the drive train into another gun is the quickest way to know if it really is the problem.

If not then at least you can try to eliminate the other possibilities. Firefoxx could be onto something with the eye delay as well. Regardless of the board, if the eye delay is too short your gun will read the bolt as a ball and then fire onto a half fed ball. I would assume the techt bolts are designed to work at stock gun settings.

ETEK 3LT, with 14" Ti boomstick and cure 3 + bolt F/S

Vanguard creed eyes, membrane, bolt pin, detents, gaskets, schraders, orings and more F/s[/color]

Old school angel poppets/cup seals(LCD and A4/speed), spring detents(not sure which models) F/S
MstrKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:42 PM #13
Oscar mike

I replaced all the orings in the gun including the reg. chrono'd the gun and waited 15 minutes and rechrono'd to check for reg creep. waited another 30 and rechecked for reg creep. NO creep, gun chrono'd 265-270 fps. dwell at 12. stock board. Started to play and while in semi paint broke about every five/six balls. Reinstalled stock bolt and no breaks the rest of today. My boy was using the other G4 with tech so I did not want to swap them out.
I will wait til spring to try again, I may just keep the stock bolt in it. Gun is alot quieter with the tech bolt. feel aint too bad with stock bolt.
Thanks for all the input, I thought it was figured out. Reg creep was what made sense.
I may call Todd at TechT and ask about, They've helped me in the past. Good group of people.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:26 PM #14
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

firefoxx04 supports Bob Gurnsey
firefoxx04 supports DLX Technology
like i said, the bolt is the cause
firefoxx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:53 AM #15
rocker1337

Just read through this and I had the same issue with my Spec-R. What I ended up doing was heavily lubing the bolt and then dry firing about 500+ shots getting the lube thoroughly withing the breech/bolt system. Eventually I guess I "broke" it in and had no more chop issues whatsoever
rocker1337 is offline   Reply With Quote