Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-24-2012, 05:16 PM #1
bizzarODog

HPA Tank purchase breakdown - where to start?

OK, I have an out of hydro 72ci/3000 HPA tank that I'm looking to replace. I bought it in the days before I could afford to play on fields with easy-air refills and its just too big and heavy. For background, I'm a casual player looking to get back into playing regularly (but casually) again. I'm currently running around with a 2k6 WGP Prostock thats basically unmodified, but I may try to get into something a little newer like a mini down the road. With that in mind, these are my questions:

1) What are the differences between the different tank/reg manufacturers in the 3000psi market? Are there any that are significantly better? Are there any to absolutely avoid?

2) Knowing that a 4500psi tank would be seriously stretching my budget, is there any reason to go for it? Same questions as above, what regs to prefer/avoid?

3) I see some regs advertising higher or lower pressure outputs. Whats the deal with all of that?

Lastly, any pro-tips people want to lay out there from experience to help someone who knows a little bit but hasn't played in the last 5 years would be greatly appreciated
bizzarODog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:43 PM #2
DuckDownItsPaint

DuckDownItsPaint has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
1) Can't really say for any of the others, but Ninja has ridiculously awesome customer service overall.

2) Higher capacity and lighter than a tank at 3K. If you don't care about weight and have easy access to fills, just get the 3K. Otherwise, a 4.5K might be better.

3) Some of the markers are designed to operate at low pressures (G6R comes to mind). A higher pressure would damage the marker. Most markers operate around the mid range 600~900psi.
DuckDownItsPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:07 AM #3
Open_Truth (Banned)

Open_Truth owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Open_Truth owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
1) Ninja is probably the very best out there. They hold a constant pressure for longer than anyone else (Several are known to drop in output pressure as the tank pressure drops), and they are very easy for you, the casual player as much as anyone else, to take care of.
2) Lighter weight while being able to carry more air. You can find some good used 4500 tanks for the $100 area, maybe less, and they will weigh less, while giving you more shots between fills.
3) You won't have to worry about this. If you shoot an Angel, you will want a low pressure reg, if you shoot a G6R, you will want a super low pressure reg, or if you are shooting a RTed Tippmann, or Automag with X-Valve or RT, then you will want the super high pressure reg. But a vast majority of the markers out there that use HPA without a reg will want a high pressure reg, and everything else that has a reg as the foregrip (Like your cocker), will be able to handle most any pressure send into it that tanks regs will output.
Open_Truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:36 PM #4
SKI008
Fear my Join Date

has been a member for 10 years
Ninja 68/45 and /thread. Yes it is worth the premium over a steely 72/3000. Used Ninjas can be had for $100ish in the BST.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:57 PM #5
bizzarODog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI008 View Post
Ninja 68/45 and /thread. Yes it is worth the premium over a steely 72/3000. Used Ninjas can be had for $100ish in the BST.
I'm certainly aware that it holds more air at a lighter weight, but i'm talking about comparing a 48 or 62/3000 in all likelihood. I mean, I'm running around with a bone-stock 2k6 prostock thats probably had 3-4 cases run through it, tops. SO that should show you that, unless there was really a compelling reason to go with a CF tank, i'm probably going to stick with a steely. At 48/3000 the weight isn't nearly as big an issue as it is when you get to bigger tanks.

Its sounding like people prefer the Ninja over the guerrilla myth tanks in general
Old 10-26-2012, 09:59 AM #6
Open_Truth (Banned)

Comparing strictly a 48/3000 to a 68/4500 tank. Again, less weight. But, twice the volume. You can play twice as long. Yes, a 68/4500 holds twice as much air as a 48/3000 tank.

But, if you honestly don't play that much, then consider a CO2 tank. Much cheaper, you can get a smaller tank that will hold enough air for you to play (A 20 ounce CO2 tank will yield you about as many shots as a 68/4500 HPA tank). And when it comes time to get it rehydroed, get a new tank.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:55 AM #7
JoshC90

JoshC90 supports Team VICIOUS
Dude get a ANS gear tank. Only real difference in tanks in the reg, but ans tanks are cheap, new, and come with warranty.

http://www.ansgear.com/SearchResults...BGas%2BAirtank

Texas Storm G6R - Ripper Victory - DM9
Support American Made
JoshC90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:33 AM #8
jsnp8nt
Gathering Storm

jsnp8nt owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
jsnp8nt owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
jsnp8nt has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
jsnp8nt has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
The best bet is a 4500 ninja tank with the PRO reg on it.
This will allow for you to keep it high pressure or lower it if necessary.
They are super consistant and they have the best customer service.
#9 of 19 PBX LV1
Lime Spire 260
Lime PBX 68/4500 a tank w/Ninja Reg
Visit www.pbbomb.com for the #1 field in Chicagoland
Proudly Sponsored by Virtue
http://www.virtuepb.com
jsnp8nt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:22 PM #9
bizzarODog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open_Truth View Post
Comparing strictly a 48/3000 to a 68/4500 tank. Again, less weight. But, twice the volume. You can play twice as long. Yes, a 68/4500 holds twice as much air as a 48/3000 tank.

But, if you honestly don't play that much, then consider a CO2 tank. Much cheaper, you can get a smaller tank that will hold enough air for you to play (A 20 ounce CO2 tank will yield you about as many shots as a 68/4500 HPA tank). And when it comes time to get it rehydroed, get a new tank.
I have a CO2 tank I got just to check if my gun still worked, plus a few out of hydro from my early days. The field I play at has HPA fill stations so theres really no reason whatsoever to go with CO2. That also means that I can always refill between rounds, so volume isn't nearly the concern it was back when I would have to last a whole afternoon with a tank or two playing woodsball in high school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC90 View Post
Dude get a ANS gear tank. Only real difference in tanks in the reg, but ans tanks are cheap, new, and come with warranty.

http://www.ansgear.com/SearchResults...BGas%2BAirtank
It did occur to me during my search. They're about 40-50$ less than the guerrilla and Ninja tanks, and about 20 less than the empire tanks. Are the stock regs total garbage?
Old 10-26-2012, 07:59 PM #10
swampster123
I choose you!

swampster123 posts videos on PbNation
swampster123 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
swampster123 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Stay clear of C02, especially if you are looking to get a new gun soon. It's more expensive to fill at a shop and less and less guns are compatible with it.

I'm not sure about the ANS regulators being trash but I do know this. I have had back to back problems with ANS, and a 5 year investment such as a tank, is probably thrown together with a bunch of extra parts they have sitting around. I would get a name brand tank because of a couple of reasons. Warranties, resale, quality, and customer service. This is just my input, maybe the ANS tanks are cheap and nice, but I just couldn't trust them..
Old 10-27-2012, 11:00 AM #11
Open_Truth (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzarODog View Post
I have a CO2 tank I got just to check if my gun still worked, plus a few out of hydro from my early days. The field I play at has HPA fill stations so theres really no reason whatsoever to go with CO2. That also means that I can always refill between rounds, so volume isn't nearly the concern it was back when I would have to last a whole afternoon with a tank or two playing woodsball in high school.
It depends upon how much you shoot in a game. I am thinking that you probably don't shoot alot in a game, so a 48/3000 may be okay for you. And if you are okay with the weight, then go for it, as a new tank will cost you in the area of $40 to $50. But a 68/4500 tank will probably only need to be filled one time for a day of play with you. Same with a 20 ounce CO2 tank, for a fraction of the cost.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:20 AM #12
2pipes
Legend in my own MIND

2pipes owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
2pipes supports Team VICIOUS
2pipes has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
2pipes supports DLX Technology
4500 is nice, but it sounds like a 3000 steely honestly will fit the bill. Fill up more YEP. Have money to play this month YEP. I have both the only marker I have ever owned that I really needed the 4500 is a GEO 2.0 is air efficiency is much lower than poppets. I would get a steel 3000 and see if you ever empty it during a game. Easy to upgrade later to 4500 if you even need to.

Ronnie Dixon fan club #30
2pipes is offline   Reply With Quote