PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-20-2012, 07:51 PM #1
trucockerfan19
Aim High

has been a member for 10 years
Will there ever be anything "cooler" than speedball?

Just wondering, do any of you think there will ever be some new breakthrough style or type of game that would end the era of speedball? Sorry to all the woods lovers but speedball is king right now as the most heavily marketed style.

It's ironic that milsim and woodsball type paintball atracts players but as you keep playing you realize that speedball is the "thing to do". Obviously this applies most to younger people.

But I feel like the public view (what outsiders see) and the cost of speedball can destroy the long haul as a sport, scaring/boring players away and burning out current players.

As of now, speedball is the most action packed fun you can have, but I feel like there is another style of play or field that's lurking around in the future, and I feel that first strike rounds and mag fed are good examples of major signs of the game evolving.

I like playing no matter what style, but speedball is the most fast paced style, with the most shooting and diving and what not it can obviously be hard to replace. Maybe new bunkers? More people? Bigger field? Any thoughts?

feedback-
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...hreadid=751045

Bored? Check out my youtube channel!
http://m.youtube.com/user/mikemarion19?feature=guide
trucockerfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-20-2012, 08:28 PM #2
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
It's a field layout, nothing more. We'd be all better off if we all remembered that.

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:51 PM #3
gunslinger84

gunslinger84 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
gunslinger84 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
gunslinger84 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
gunslinger84 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Watch out Fubarius. Troll post. Approach with caution.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:16 AM #4
Nahib_Stilgar

^ LOL!

Using caution...

Speedball is only one aspect of paintball. And as big and popular as it is, I think it would be hard to say that it is "king" in the sport. It is absolutely the most prefered format when it comes to competition inside this sport but if you are looking at the pure number of players, rec ball and woods ball come up on top.

In the 2000s the industry tried to push the paintball community towards speedball. The manufacturers really pushed it and for a time all it seemed you could buy was speedball stuff. However if you look at whats happening now, the woodsball stuff is coming back to the shelves in a big way!

Almost ALL the major lines now create some kind of 'tactical' clothing line and many of them even make their own 'tactical' versions of their speedball guns to sell to woods ball players.

the DAM, M-Tac, Etha body kit and I think I saw a thread on a tactical GR6 somewhere? these are just some examples. In addition, Tippmann continues to pump out guns, the new Phenom X7 is pretty nice from what I hear.

How many Mag fed guns came out this year? Spyder put out two, the DAM, a new Milsig with a brandnew valve system, and I know there is another one about to happen that I can't remember right now. Heck, even CCM made a sort of mag fed Sniper rifle!

All I am saying is that the game started in the woods, and even while speedball was exploding there were still just as many players in the woods. And now players are beginning to bring the tech from speedball back into the woods as well! And why not? Nicer guns, more efficient, lighter...

The industry has realized that speedball is not and will not be the be all end all of paintball. It will continue to be a large part of the sport that will continue on for ever however other aspects of the game are not simply going to die off.

Woodsball, Magfed, pump, all have a huge and growing following just like speedball. And that makes this sport fun! Variety ensures that the sport never gets old!

Play Paintball, not just a single variant...Play it all!
Nahib_Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:00 AM #5
DB-1071
ON THE SIDE OF ANGELS!!!!

DB-1071 is playing at Living Legends V
DB-1071 is playing at Living Legends VI
DB-1071 is playing at Living Legends VII
DB-1071 is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
DB-1071 is a top reviewer
How about just as cool, woodsball, scenarioball, big game ball and urbanball come to mind since 80-90% of all paintballers play these.

PBNation definition from Urban Dictionary:
A web site where, on any given evening, one may find approximately 500 paintball enthusiasts discussing the sport, and 1500 teenagers calling each other gay.

GO ON, I DARE YOU!! GO ON I DARE YOU, AGAIN!!!
" Physician heal thyself!! " The War Doctor
DB-1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:11 AM #6
scroadkill
still pump'n - go figure

i dont think speed ball has the market share op thinks it does... and i think that %age is shrinking realtive to other formats. the better question might be what format is growing and why?
Old 11-21-2012, 07:28 AM #7
loneassassin
A Grim and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucockerfan19 View Post
Just wondering, do any of you think there will ever be some new breakthrough style or type of game that would end the era of speedball? Sorry to all the woods lovers but speedball is king right now as the most heavily marketed style.

It's ironic that milsim and woodsball type paintball atracts players but as you keep playing you realize that speedball is the "thing to do". Obviously this applies most to younger people.

But I feel like the public view (what outsiders see) and the cost of speedball can destroy the long haul as a sport, scaring/boring players away and burning out current players.

As of now, speedball is the most action packed fun you can have, but I feel like there is another style of play or field that's lurking around in the future, and I feel that first strike rounds and mag fed are good examples of major signs of the game evolving.

I like playing no matter what style, but speedball is the most fast paced style, with the most shooting and diving and what not it can obviously be hard to replace. Maybe new bunkers? More people? Bigger field? Any thoughts?

I'll take the bait.

Speedball might be the most heavily marketed (though I'm not even sure that's true), but it certainly isn't the most heavily played style of paintball. The way it has been played for the last 15 or so years, at least, it is not sustainable for most players. I don't know anybody who can afford to shoot 2 cases per outing, let alone 1 in most situations.

Your comment about people realizing that "speedball is the thing to do" is nothing more than your skewed opinion/assessment of the situation. Obviously, YOU prefer speedball and think it's a superior form of the sport, and that's okay because it's your opinion. The comment about it being the "most action-packed" fun you can have is one that I take issue with. You've obviously never played on a proper woodsball/recball field against talented players (though, I'd have to say, the talent of the average woodsball player has seriously taken a nosedive since I started playing).

I always get a chuckle out of these kinds of posts. When I started playing there was no woodsball/speedball debate. It was ALL just paintball (and actually "speedball" didn't exist yet). When "speedball" came around my friends and I all started playing it but didn't for one second consider replacing woodsball with it. The most intense games I've ever played were in the woods, and that's saying quite a bit because I've been playing tourneys for 16 or so years.

I feel like the whole world has gone and developed ADD. Sure enough, woodsball games often start a little slower because of the distance of engagement but it's up to the players to make sure the games don't end that way. I think there's more of a "chess" aspect to woodsball, but that's just me.

Anyway, those are just the ramblings of an old man who undoubtedly was bunkering people when you were still in your diapers. Take it how you will.

My halfblocked Trilogy pump:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...6/P3250486.jpg
loneassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:06 AM #8
Nahib_Stilgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneassassin View Post
I feel like the whole world has gone and developed ADD.
You are not alone in that thought!
Nahib_Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:08 PM #9
trucockerfan19
Aim High

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneassassin View Post
I'll take the bait.

Speedball might be the most heavily marketed (though I'm not even sure that's true), but it certainly isn't the most heavily played style of paintball. The way it has been played for the last 15 or so years, at least, it is not sustainable for most players. I don't know anybody who can afford to shoot 2 cases per outing, let alone 1 in most situations.

Your comment about people realizing that "speedball is the thing to do" is nothing more than your skewed opinion/assessment of the situation. Obviously, YOU prefer speedball and think it's a superior form of the sport, and that's okay because it's your opinion. The comment about it being the "most action-packed" fun you can have is one that I take issue with. You've obviously never played on a proper woodsball/recball field against talented players (though, I'd have to say, the talent of the average woodsball player has seriously taken a nosedive since I started playing).

I always get a chuckle out of these kinds of posts. When I started playing there was no woodsball/speedball debate. It was ALL just paintball (and actually "speedball" didn't exist yet). When "speedball" came around my friends and I all started playing it but didn't for one second consider replacing woodsball with it. The most intense games I've ever played were in the woods, and that's saying quite a bit because I've been playing tourneys for 16 or so years.

I feel like the whole world has gone and developed ADD. Sure enough, woodsball games often start a little slower because of the distance of engagement but it's up to the players to make sure the games don't end that way. I think there's more of a "chess" aspect to woodsball, but that's just me.

Anyway, those are just the ramblings of an old man who undoubtedly was bunkering people when you were still in your diapers. Take it how you will.
Been playing all types of paintball for like 11 years now but I get it, you are old.

By action packed I mean compressed action. Physically compressed play.

I ****ing love woodsball, the problem is none of my friends want to play woodsball ie; too boring, too many noobs and rental guys. I would rather play woods ball against good competition, but there just isn't much left out in the woods.

And by "king" of paintball I mean pro teams. It's a sport, pro teams are the focus of most marketing. Example the empire axe, and every add that basically says pro teams shoot this gun!

But yes the average players view of speedball/woodsball is skewed

feedback-

Old 11-21-2012, 02:19 PM #10
LeperLord

LeperLord owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
LeperLord owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
LeperLord supports Empire
Guys. Paintball is Paintball, I play speedball and I play rec games in the woods. I love being able to have access to both. Depending on who is around on any particular day at my field is what I play. Spend less time thinking about what is better and more time playing!
Old 11-21-2012, 02:42 PM #11
Jframe
Mary Wanna?

Annual Supporting Member
Jframe has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I started the game playing recball/woodsball because that was the only thing there. It's cheaper to have these kinds of fields and less intimidating to new/potential players than the thought of the intense paint fling that is speedball.

Speedball is a fun style/game type and an easy one to have competitions in as it's a smaller playing field and more easily refereed/scored.

I personally think the idea of mag fed guns are awesome and would love to pick up a couple pistols myself to play around with. I think you will see a lot of players migrate to the "cheaper" style of play as not everyone (myself included) can afford a case or two of paint a weekend.
Jframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:06 PM #12
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 supports Empire
There are plenty of professional woodsball/scenario teams and tournaments around. They just need more press.
ElJefe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:56 PM #13
inferno2inferno

Speedball may be the most marketed style of play, but most new players drift towards woodsball because it has greater appeal in generation Call of Duty. In terms of coming out with a new format, I do not see anything new aside from variants of the two main play styles such as new tournament formats for speedball and new game types for woods ball.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:19 PM #14
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 supports Empire
I would love to see speedsball with First Strike rounds only. It'd be interesting to see how the game would be played. I think we'd also see more FS capable guns and for the price to use then go down.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:29 PM #15
IrishNinja6
US Air Force

Annual Supporting Member
IrishNinja6 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
IrishNinja6 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
IrishNinja6 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Oh. Another one of these threads....Yay pursuit....

My WTB list: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3806383
Pay my bills gearbag sale!
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4029265
IrishNinja6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:29 PM #16
venarius

Quote:
Sorry to all the woods lovers but speedball is king right now as the most heavily marketed style.
Absolutely not. Speedball market has lost ground heavily over the last decade as far as market saturation.

Quote:
It's ironic that milsim and woodsball type paintball atracts players but as you keep playing you realize that speedball is the "thing to do".
No. If anything, newer players today can continue to advance in 'advanced rec-ball' with people who dedicate their play to that style. Speedball is not the 'only thing to do'.

Speedball is here to stay, no doubt. Nothing will 'de-thrown it' because it isn't on a 'thrown' lol. Other styles (scenario, mil-sim, advanced rec-ball) have come up to equal or exceed popularity.

Personally, I think more advanced realistic fields are the next 'big thing'... like entire actual little towns built for combat...
Autococker (built from scratch myself back in the day!)

Last edited by venarius : 11-21-2012 at 06:35 PM.
venarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:40 PM #17
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
KYhillbilly has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Does gangnam style count?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60MQ3AG1c8o

Last edited by KYhillbilly : 11-21-2012 at 07:05 PM.
KYhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:00 PM #18
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYhillbilly
Does gangnam style count?
Lmao
Old 11-22-2012, 01:37 PM #19
trucockerfan19
Aim High

Quote:
Originally Posted by venarius;
Personally, I think more advanced realistic fields are the next 'big thing'... like entire actual little towns built for combat...
This is what I meant by "new style" hell even an all FS round style would be awesome.

The point of my post wasn't to compare the two, it was asking if there were any ideas on a new style of play....not gangam style!

feedback-

Old 11-22-2012, 06:29 PM #20
tvise
USPN Hollister CA

tvise owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tvise owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tvise posts videos on PbNation
tvise has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
This is what I meant by "new style" hell even an all FS round style would be awesome.

The point of my post wasn't to compare the two, it was asking if there were any ideas on a new style of play....not gangam style!
I do think that because of these video games people want to see more realistic fields...

Personally I love having trenches and dunes...

I think something also might come into play is more nightball or under the lights... Just because out of my experience people like to play under stadium lights.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:05 AM #21
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

aresfiend plays in the APPA D4 division
aresfiend has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend supports Empire
Milspwoodsball.

You play with magfed markers, in the woods, and squeezing in a speedball field in between the trees.
aresfiend is offline   Reply With Quote