Community Focus

Old 11-18-2012, 02:04 PM #1
2pipes
Legend in my own MIND

2pipes owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
2pipes supports Team VICIOUS
2pipes has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
2pipes supports DLX Technology
This is not to get people mad or upset. No trolling here. I recently shot a DM 11 and was surprised at how nice it felt. It started me thinking why don't I like DM guns? I buy their goggles, pods, packs, clothes, etc. So as I am changing my preconceptions about the DM series, please tell me why I should choose Dye for my next purchase over others like PE or BL? Thanks

Ronnie Dixon fan club #30

Last edited by 2pipes : 11-18-2012 at 05:33 PM.
2pipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-18-2012, 02:15 PM #2
jojo750
shocktech DM5

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
jojo750 donated to help Peyton Trent
jojo750 supports Team VICIOUS
my reason is simple. easy maintenance (orings, lube, batteries).
takes about 1min to lube the bolt.
and i like the smooth shot of a tuned dye gun.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:21 PM #3
CrazyHarry
Evil Genius

CrazyHarry is playing at Living Legends VII
CrazyHarry has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
CrazyHarry has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
CrazyHarry supports Empire
There is no reason, imo, to hate on any high end marker... period. If you pay over a grand for a gat, what you're going to get is going to be pretty good (no matter who's marker you pick up).

The biggest reasons to NOT go with a DM over PE or BL are size and ergonomics. You may not like how big it is (get an Ego or a G6R) or you might just not like how they feel (which is a very personal thing, and it's hard to argue with that).

Efficiency isn't straight forward, you're going to get more life out of a DM then a Geo, but a G6r/Ego/Vic are going to out last it any day of the week.

Sound is a win for the DM, I haven't ever heard anything as quiet. This is the primary reason why I shoot a DM.

General maintenance is a win for PE and BL... those markers are a lot easier to take care of. However, I just bought a pack of replacement orings for my DM that had 100 of each size for about $30. If something goes wrong, it'll be one of those orings. No specialized parts, like popits, cup seals, valve guides etc... just orings. In general, the other brands are easier... except when the **** hits the fan, then you better have the specialized parts to fix what just went wrong.

Smoothness is a win for Dye, the LPR makes the shot as smooth as a baby's butt.

I think there are good reasons for going with any of the brands. I've shot all of them, and I like all of them. For me, the biggest factor was the sound, but for you it might be efficiency... it just comes down to what features you value more, that's all.

Geisterjager CO
CrazyHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:07 PM #4
neverexpendable

because ego's soft like butter and snap in half when the nose dive in the dirt get a mans gun.only people they hate on dm's are the ones that buy it then think they have to tune it to death.lube it gas it shoot it.DM forever

Semper Fi '12
GFL-O
MXL

http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/...amnlucious.png
neverexpendable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:28 PM #5
2pipes
Legend in my own MIND

Thanks to all. I try to be open minded in most areas of my life. The DM series without a doubt looks awesome, and from the your comments I will have to put DM in the possible column. Anymore information of this line is greatly appreciated.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:18 PM #6
CrazyHarry
Evil Genius

CrazyHarry is playing at Living Legends VII
CrazyHarry has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
CrazyHarry has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
CrazyHarry supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pipes View Post
Thanks to all. I try to be open minded in most areas of my life. The DM series without a doubt looks awesome, and from the your comments I will have to put DM in the possible column. Anymore information of this line is greatly appreciated.
If I were you, I would pick up a PM6 with a UL frame... they go for like $125 or so. Play a couple games with that, practice taking the bolt apart and putting it back together, screw around with the LPR etc. Just play with it and get to know it. If you like the way it shoots, you'll like the newer DM's just as much, if not more.

That way you can get a good introduction into the platform without shelling out a huge amount of money. I can, almost, guarantee you, that if you don't like it, you'll be able to sell it for just as much as you paid for it (they aren't, really, dropping in value anymore).

Geisterjager CO
CrazyHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:30 AM #7
Ragin Cajun
CLICK, CLICK, BOOM

Annual Supporting Member
Ragin Cajun is a founding member
Ragin Cajun is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Ragin Cajun is a Forum Captain
Buying a cheaper DM will get you the feel but you can go the route I took which was to buy a DM11. It has the great ergonomics and shoots smooth without the 12 or 13 price. I haven't owned a DM since the DM4 and wanted to pick one up again. The UL frames are nice but the NT frame is better IMO. Ultimately its up to you. The guns are easy to maintain, parts are readily available and if you pick it up cheap resale won't kill you. Like I said, my 11 only cost me $450.
Ragin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:14 AM #8
DarkRipper
Elite

Annual Supporting Member
DarkRipper is a founding member
DarkRipper is BST Legit
DarkRipper donated to help Peyton Trent
DarkRipper owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
DarkRipper is Boss
I go to other guns from time to time because at heart I'm a gun whore, but I always come back to a DM.

Right now I'm using a DM12, and I traded a Clone GT for it (I got cash).

I prefer the feel of the DM, and the sound signature and shot are nearly identical.

For the price, the DM12 is a fantastic spool marker. The DM11 is nearly as good, and is 99% if you put an NT grip reg and a 45 degree fitting on it... The tool-less bolt of the DM12 is pretty nifty though.

DM13 is apparently just a DM12 with new milling

old school PBC admin... keeping it real

Please read and rate my reviews! =) ---> Here!

Buy my sweet red Eflex before the kittens kill again :(
DarkRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:38 PM #9
PineappleNoS
Mooserator

PineappleNoS owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
PineappleNoS supports Team VICIOUS
PineappleNoS is for the Gunfight
PineappleNoS has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
PineappleNoS is attending Decay of Nations VI
I was never that big of a fun of the older DMs.

The guns that I really did like (of the DMs) would have to be the DM9 and the DM12. I actually liked the feel of those a lot. In my opinion the DM12 is actually a nicer gun than the NTs, at least that is what I thought of them.

I used to have a larger dislike for Dye guns as well though, that is until I shot the DM9.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:30 PM #10
eyeownyu
ryan

eyeownyu plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyHarry View Post
There is no reason, imo, to hate on any high end marker... period. If you pay over a grand for a gat, what you're going to get is going to be pretty good (no matter who's marker you pick up).

The biggest reasons to NOT go with a DM over PE or BL are size and ergonomics. You may not like how big it is (get an Ego or a G6R) or you might just not like how they feel (which is a very personal thing, and it's hard to argue with that).

Efficiency isn't straight forward, you're going to get more life out of a DM then a Geo, but a G6r/Ego/Vic are going to out last it any day of the week.

Sound is a win for the DM, I haven't ever heard anything as quiet. This is the primary reason why I shoot a DM.

General maintenance is a win for PE and BL... those markers are a lot easier to take care of. However, I just bought a pack of replacement orings for my DM that had 100 of each size for about $30. If something goes wrong, it'll be one of those orings. No specialized parts, like popits, cup seals, valve guides etc... just orings. In general, the other brands are easier... except when the **** hits the fan, then you better have the specialized parts to fix what just went wrong.

I think there are good reasons for going with any of the brands. I've shot all of them, and I like all of them. For me, the biggest factor was the sound, but for you it might be efficiency... it just comes down to what features you value more, that's all.
this is something over looked by alot. sure your ego doesnt need to be lubed everyday but when a poppet or noid goes out, you need a specialized part to replace it. with a dm, i can fix any problem with a few different sized origns, or even just simply relubing the gun.

"It's the decisions you make when you have no time to make them that defines who you are." ~ teh_masterer
Only after disaster can we be resurrected. ~Tyler Durden
San Diego Pirates
VSB.
eyeownyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:48 AM #11
13jinx

I agree there is next to no change from 12 to 13. But over and above all that one needs to compare it side by side. The milling actually does make a difference... if you dont already shoot a Dm 10/11/12 the 13 would not disappoint.

But its a personal preference. I have and still use a DM8 and NT11 competitively.... I have a small itch to get the DM13 but i'll hold that thought for a bit more.
grammatonclerics.blogspot.com
Back Player Gang
13jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:26 PM #12
Davidcroteau32

The dm line is sick because its one of the only spool valve markers with an lpr, you can tune it for a harder shot but get good effceancy numbers. I have a dm10 but I would recommend a dm11 Becasue it's got a better gripe frame but it does bot have an open window like the 12, for dirt to get in. A dm tuned effecent well get the same ballpark efficiency wise. Not comparing to an ego 11, planet step up hard with the ego 11 almost everything about it is awesome. But IMO there is no really any point in going with eclipse over bob long Becasue the g6r and victory are smoother and get better air. For me when I get a poppet it's all about performance, I am more into spools though and I have to say the dm line has been my favourite for a long time until lately with whole every gun since the 8 has been the same, which is true but it already shoots really good if they could make it significantly better I'm sure they would. I'd say don't over look the dm.

Something I forgot to mention is that for 30$ you could buy the lurker e ring, I have it and tuned up and dwell brought down I get a hopper and 3 pods on my 50 stubby.
Davidcroteau32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:21 AM #13
peacob

peacob owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
peacob supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyHarry View Post

This is so well said. Especially the very first line.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:55 PM #14
2pipes
Legend in my own MIND

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidcroteau32
The dm line...... get good effceancy numbers. PLUS

Something I forgot to mention is that for 30$ you could buy the lurker e ring, I have it and tuned up and dwell brought down I get a hopper and 3 pods on my 50 stubby.
Efficiency is an issue with spool valve markers certainly. I had a GEO 2.0 bottom out on air after a hopper and 3 pods on 2700 pounds. Most fields I use are 3000 only so air efficiency for me is a bigger deal. With a DM .....um 8 or newer can I get a hopper with 4 pods with some air to spare on 3000?

Old 11-28-2012, 06:00 PM #15
speedy2k4
BSH University

speedy2k4 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeownyu View Post
this is something over looked by alot. sure your ego doesnt need to be lubed everyday but when a poppet or noid goes out, you need a specialized part to replace it. with a dm, i can fix any problem with a few different sized origns, or even just simply relubing the gun.
Not entirely true. Most problems are o-rings, which don't even become problems in the first place if you maintain things properly.

But you still have detents, an eye pipe, two reg seats, all of which need to be replaced over time and can not be bought at a hardware store. And the DM has a solenoid too, though they do seem to last longer/have less issues than Eclipse solenoids.
speedy2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:28 AM #16
DarkRipper
Elite

Annual Supporting Member
DarkRipper is a founding member
DarkRipper is BST Legit
DarkRipper donated to help Peyton Trent
DarkRipper owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
DarkRipper is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pipes View Post
Efficiency is an issue with spool valve markers certainly. I had a GEO 2.0 bottom out on air after a hopper and 3 pods on 2700 pounds. Most fields I use are 3000 only so air efficiency for me is a bigger deal. With a DM .....um 8 or newer can I get a hopper with 4 pods with some air to spare on 3000?
My 12 is tuned to get better than that (not a lot) on a 68/3k fill, so yes it's possible, especially after the bolt is broken in.

Research sweetspotting the LPR.

old school PBC admin... keeping it real

Please read and rate my reviews! =) ---> Here!

Buy my sweet red Eflex before the kittens kill again :(
DarkRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:57 PM #17
WMine

WMine plays in the PSP
WMine plays in the MiLP
WMine plays in the APPA D3 division
I have a DM11 and you can't argue the fact that the NT frame is awesome. It is the most comfortable grip frame on any pball gun ever IMO. Also the no screws on the exterior is nice. No stupid eye plates. I hate eye plates now after owning a DM. The guns are super lite weight and the DM12 angled reg swivel gives your hads more room on the reg (you can buy this individually and install it on any Hyper 3 reg).
WMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:51 PM #18
etek3ego11geo2.1

etek3ego11geo2.1 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
etek3ego11geo2.1 supports Team VICIOUS
etek3ego11geo2.1 supports Team VICIOUS
etek3ego11geo2.1 supports DLX Technology
Dye or other brands

I was actually going to buy a dm11 when they first came out for $800 from one of my friends. I took it on the field played a couple of games with it and I was very impressed. Then I started thinking about maintenance and efficiency and I decided bob long and Planet Eclipse are my favorite. I have a etek 3 and I absolutely love it but I'm going to move up to a ego or g6r.
Luxe OLED
Dye dm9
Dye rotor
68/4500 tank

Old guns:
Etek 3 AM
Luxe 2.0
Boats & Hoes geo 3
Damage Nt11

Phoenix Rampage
D3
etek3ego11geo2.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:34 AM #19
Absently (Banned)

Absently has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Absently is attending Decay of Nations VI
One of the only spool guns with a Low Pressure Regulator.
Absently is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:48 PM #20
bushhog750

bushhog750 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy2k4 View Post
Not entirely true. Most problems are o-rings, which don't even become problems in the first place if you maintain things properly.

But you still have detents, an eye pipe, two reg seats, all of which need to be replaced over time and can not be bought at a hardware store. And the DM has a solenoid too, though they do seem to last longer/have less issues than Eclipse solenoids.
DM includes spare detents, eye pipes last a good long while and a spare eye pipe can be bought for cheap. All markers have reg seats that require replacement over time and I have not found a reg seat on any marker I've fixed or repaired at a local hardware store. So the DM is not limited by this at all, as all markers carry the same pertinent parts. But I do agree 100% on what you said about orings and proper maintenance.

Once someone spends the money on a high end gun it's really all personal preference and how they maintain it from there. The biggest difference I see from high end gun to high end gun is who is behind the trigger and how well does said person take care of their equipment. I hear people all the time bash the DM's for saying they leak and they suck because they leak. But when I take their guns apart I quickly see that it's not the gun that sucks, it's the person pulling the trigger.

Last edited by bushhog750 : 01-01-2013 at 01:59 PM.
bushhog750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:41 PM #21
Dynomatt

Dynomatt owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Dynomatt plays in the APPA D4 division
Dynomatt has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I dig the color coded o rings. Makes things much, much easier.