Old 11-04-2012, 05:59 PM #1
Iowa
Shooting ropes at dopes

Annual Supporting Member
Iowa is BST Legit
Iowa owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Iowa supports Team VICIOUS
Recommended Geo 3 break in?

New Geo 3 owner, and I am wondering if there is a recommended break in process to follow. What adjustments typically are made as it breaks in?

I'm not concerned about efficiency, I just want it set up to be as soft on paint as possible. So on top of the soft tip bolt and turning the bolt speed all the way down, what other setting would you recommend?
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2012, 06:17 AM #2
CAOL_98
Ego User

CAOL_98 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
CAOL_98 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
I would think that the bolt and lowering the bolt speed would be the best option. That way you could enjoy the benefits of a soft cycle that is easy on paint while you break the gun in. Other then that I don't think messing with the dwell or anything else would really benefit you in any way. Just shooting 10+ cases through it, should probably be sufficient enough. I don't own a Geo, but there's not a lot to mess with on them...just shoot and enjoy, the gun cycling though all of that paint and those games, should take care of the rest!

"This sport transcends all expectations. I thank God for this gift and the friends I have made playing."
CAOL_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:30 PM #3
adarand555

i use the hard bolt and have put over 20k shots thru my geo3 and havent broken paint in the breach with it yet . i have broken maybe 3 -5 balls in the barrel due to poor paint to barrel match . the geo 3 is awesome on all paint from top of the line tournament grade evil to weeks old practice paint . i use stock setting s and have the adjustment on the trigger guard set to a little over the half way point towards the top kinda like 2 o clock on on the face of a watch
adarand555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:55 AM #4
Iowa
Shooting ropes at dopes

Annual Supporting Member
Iowa is BST Legit
Are there certain Orings that need regular attention or replacement?
Old 11-10-2012, 09:06 AM #5
Mr Idiot Box
Rubber Ducky Pump Squad

Mr Idiot Box plays in the PSP
Mr Idiot Box owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Mr Idiot Box owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
As with all PE markers shoot the hell out of it. Replace batteries with quality ones and clean it every once in a while and you will be amazed how well it shoots. The only thing that will help your marker shoot better is time on the field. Leave the settings/ O-rings as is. O-rings need to be replaced when you have issues and you wont. The O-ring on the bolt tip gets cut every now an again if you shoot dirty paint or the occasional shell from broken paint usually buy the hopper, pods packed to tight or a bad dive.

Other then that shoot it, clean it repeat.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:51 AM #6
Iowa
Shooting ropes at dopes

Annual Supporting Member
Iowa is BST Legit
Any suggested trigger adjustments? The stock trigger is a little heavy for my liking. It was recommended that I lengthen the pull, but push up the firing point. Anyone else really like that approach?
Old 11-11-2012, 06:18 PM #7
CAOL_98
Ego User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa View Post
Any suggested trigger adjustments? The stock trigger is a little heavy for my liking. It was recommended that I lengthen the pull, but push up the firing point. Anyone else really like that approach?
I usually go with a longer pull (to short and the return doesn't have enough room for me to keep in a proper rhythm when walking). I like micro-switch (I just like the click, plus there's the added return strength just from the micro switch that let's you tune back your spring or magnet just a bit less). I usually do a combination of the magnet and spring for return...more spring, less magnet...I usually keep adjusting them until I get a light enough pull, put a quick and snappy return. I also like my activation about 2/3 of the way through the pull...I feel if its to early that it negates the entire idea behind having a longer pull...you might as well make your entire travel and pull as short as the activation instead of wasting the space.
There you go...longer pull, activate after 2/3 of the pull, micro switch and a combination of the spring and magnet.
That's my personal tastes...look around a bit and try other settings...planet eclipse gives you some insane setup options! Have fun with it!

"This sport transcends all expectations. I thank God for this gift and the friends I have made playing."
Old 11-11-2012, 06:21 PM #8
SpanksIPB

SpanksIPB owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
SpanksIPB owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Trigger is all preference and with the Eclipse trigger carrier design it can make it time consuming to find what fits you best but when you do its fantastic. I personally prefer about a medium pull length with the opto sensor activating just after half way with magnet return. But that on my Geo2 and I haven't fully adjusted my Geo3 trigger yet although I did adjust it to where it no longer clicks the micro switch as well as back off the spring pressure.
SpanksIPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:53 PM #9
BDidz
SFP

Annual Supporting Member
BDidz is BST Legit
BDidz owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
BDidz supports our troops
BDidz plays in the APPA D4 division
BDidz is Legendary
Just shoot it till it starts to leak or have bolt stick or something then clean it and do the hole process again and again its what Ive done on my geo for 2 years and it shoots really nice.
BDidz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:06 PM #10
Iowa
Shooting ropes at dopes

Annual Supporting Member
Iowa is BST Legit
Thank you for your responses.

I like a light but snappy return, maybe I need more spring vs magnet. I like where I got it but haven't spent enough time on the field with it to really know. Anyone willing to recommend a place for anno'ing? I'm getting a boost kit but would like a couple more gold backs.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:44 AM #11
CAOL_98
Ego User

I might be behind the times, I'm sure there's lots of other options, but www.gruntbull.com does some excellent anno work.
Also I never mentioned it, but my favorite trigger return mechanism (or force if you will) is reverse magnetic polarity (as found in violent triggers and critical triggers). I've owned them on other guns, and in my opinion, they're second to none. Attractive magent returns feel "sticky", springs are a better idea, but the almost feel like there's a limited adjustment before you lose that snappy return and you get a slower reaction...reverse magnetic polarity is trying to repel and the amount of force is determined by how close the magents are, so it gives you a finer range of adjustment, there are no parts touching each other, and it's smooth as butter. Highly recommended, but you have to replace the stock trigger (which is so nice to begin with). I wish this was a stock option from eclipse.
Just thought I would throw in those pennies as well...

Old 11-14-2012, 09:35 PM #12
Iowa
Shooting ropes at dopes

Annual Supporting Member
Iowa is BST Legit
Is it best to keep the SFR midway/all the way open early on until it breaks in a bit?
Old 11-14-2012, 11:05 PM #13
Mr Idiot Box
Rubber Ducky Pump Squad

Mr Idiot Box plays in the PSP
Mr Idiot Box owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Mr Idiot Box owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Just shoot it!
Old 11-16-2012, 05:58 PM #14
CAOL_98
Ego User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa View Post
Is it best to keep the SFR midway/all the way open early on until it breaks in a bit?
I honestly don't think it matters. If I ever get a geo 3 I'm running it as soft as I can...that's just my preference...but there has been no notice or warning from planet on how to run the gun out of the box. Just set your bsc for whatever floats your boat...all the way for speed or nice and low for a more gentle cycle. Your bolt will break in just from regular play no matter what your bolt speed.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:05 AM #15
hanifan85
greenleaf85

hanifan85 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
hanifan85 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
hanifan85 supports DLX Technology
hanifan85 owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAOL_98

I honestly don't think it matters. If I ever get a geo 3 I'm running it as soft as I can...that's just my preference...but there has been no notice or warning from planet on how to run the gun out of the box. Just set your bsc for whatever floats your boat...all the way for speed or nice and low for a more gentle cycle. Your bolt will break in just from regular play no matter what your bolt speed.
Personal preference. I mean it's always good to shoot a marker on stock setting for a bit but I don't think it would hurt it. They are made to take some abuse.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:33 PM #16
Iowa
Shooting ropes at dopes

Annual Supporting Member
Iowa is BST Legit
Played with this Geo3 for 5 months now and it only gets better. Haven't changed a setting, it's just getting broken in even nicer. Took the PE Tech glass at PBE and they said something that kind of struck me. Their techs said don't have any expectation for a gun until it has 20,000-24,000 shots through it. After that things are just getting settled and you'll start to see greater consistency over the chrono. They also said 1/3 of all problems are due to people changing the settings. In that case, I'm just gonna shoot, lube, repeat.