Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

View Poll Results: What format do you like?
Current format for all divisions. 41 22.53%
Proposed changes to formats. 106 58.24%
NCPA Class A. 28 15.38%
Woodsball. 7 3.85%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-14-2012, 05:37 PM #43
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deimus85 View Post
I agree in all of your points Chris, however, the rationale behind why D2 entry is the most out of all the divisions has yet to be let known to me.
1) Why on earth are you expecting to be informed why someone sets their pricing the way they do?
2) D1 and D2 entries were the same all season except for Cup. Same format, same price, makes sense to me.
3) A possible rationale for lowering the entry fees for higher divisions is providing an incentive for teams to move up. Or you could view it as charging people extra for the privilege of not having to play tougher teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashZ33 View Post
After the season ends, bump the top four teams in D1 to Semi-Pro and drop the bottom four Pro teams to Semi-Pro.
Promotion and relegation in paintball is silly. It never happens. Every year some of the following happens:

- A Pro team doesn't finish the season.
- A Pro team that made the cut folds in the off season.
- A Pro team that didn't make the cut folds in the off season.
- A Semi-Pro team that makes the cut folds in the off-season.

Whenever one of those happens, the league ends up picking a team to fill the spot. If the league is going to pick the teams to fill the spots, the league might as well just pick the teams to fill the spots.

This year PSP had a competitive Pro division and a competitive D1 division. Probably the best it's been in the past 5 or even 10 years. If it ain't broke, don't F with it.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-14-2012, 07:53 PM #44
FlashZ33
REVO

FlashZ33 plays in the PSP
FlashZ33 plays in the APPA D2 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by raehl View Post
If the league is going to pick the teams to fill the spots, the league might as well just pick the teams to fill the spots.
I don't understand your reasoning. Please enlighten me. In reference to my previous post seen below, that's exactly what I'm proposing

Quote:
Create a Semi-Pro division that uses the same exact rules as the Pro division.

After the season ends, bump the top four teams in D1 to Semi-Pro and drop the bottom four Pro teams to Semi-Pro. There you have an 8 team division. Enough teams for a solid competitive season.

Season winner of Semi-Pro bumps up to the Pro division the following season and the last place Pro team drops down to Semi-Pro.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:54 PM #45
TherealInsomniac
Bangarang

TherealInsomniac plays in the PSP
TherealInsomniac is playing at Living Legends VI
TherealInsomniac has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
TherealInsomniac supports Empire
what hes saying that is a team thats getting bumped doesn't field the next year, then the league will need to pick a replacement ( either by way of relegating less teams or by bumping a 5th team). SO the league is picking the team to go pro. how is that any different than the league just picking outright who can play in pro (both ways), and skipping the relegation all together.
PANTS/JERSEYS
Packs
Masks
TherealInsomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:13 PM #46
FlashZ33
REVO

FlashZ33 plays in the PSP
FlashZ33 plays in the APPA D2 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by TherealInsomniac View Post
what hes saying that is a team thats getting bumped doesn't field the next year, then the league will need to pick a replacement ( either by way of relegating less teams or by bumping a 5th team). SO the league is picking the team to go pro. how is that any different than the league just picking outright who can play in pro (both ways), and skipping the relegation all together.
I guess I'll refer to this post for my response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverclan View Post
Post the link where we can register to play in the pro division please.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:11 PM #47
eternalmergy
The Hindu Hammer

eternalmergy is a Paintball photographer
eternalmergy plays in the PSP
eternalmergy donated to help Peyton Trent
eternalmergy posts videos on PbNation
eternalmergy is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
eternalmergy is Boss
NCPA. xball in its truest form. i like it, i love it, i want some more of it.

Central Florida Paintball

>Redline Media<
eternalmergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:47 AM #48
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
If you have to ask, you're not ready to play Pro.

That's funny, but it's also kinda serious.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

Old 11-15-2012, 10:33 AM #49
Dhops187

The difference between D2 and D1 is harder than any other jump in divisions. Raehl probably realizes this so makes entry more for D2 teams since they will have a better chance to play on Sunday, rather than pay less on entry and go 0-4 in the prelims.
DYE LON
DYLAN
DILLON
AND
DYLON
Dhops187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:59 AM #50
Deimus85
Playground Legend

Deimus85 is a Supporting Member
Deimus85 plays in the PSP
Deimus85 is an NCPA National Champion
Deimus85 plays in the APPA D2 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalmergy View Post
NCPA. xball in its truest form. i like it, i love it, i want some more of it.
I agree. But I don't think that format will be in the PSP anytime soon (other than at Collegiate Cup).

Playground Legends/Fast Five/Drexel University NCPA Alumni/Bulldogs Athens Millennium/Washington Winstons
Feedback
Deimus85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:11 PM #51
eforce
Factory PB

Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Quote:
I guess I'll refer to this post for my response:
Find me a link to register for pro in any major sport.
eforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:33 PM #52
bmoney003
187 cRew it's Murda!!

bmoney003 is a Professional paintball player
bmoney003 plays in the PSP
bmoney003 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
imho, the entire race-to idea needs to be scrapped at least for D1/pro. This is in fact the reason for the looong boring 8 minute points and games ending 2-1.

the points are each way too valuable to be dropping. but in original xball with timed halves unlimited score the points were fast and furious and entertaining to play and watch. There has to be some sort of game time that will keep the schedule the same for a day?

how many games end 7-0 end early...then there is a gap until the next scheduled time game happens...not really saving any daylight there. just a thought.

would make things exciting again, and not so boring as it is now. both to play and to watch
Old 11-15-2012, 02:35 PM #53
Sk8rPainterNI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoney003 View Post
imho, the entire race-to idea needs to be scrapped at least for D1/pro. This is in fact the reason for the looong boring 8 minute points and games ending 2-1.

the points are each way too valuable to be dropping. but in original xball with timed halves unlimited score the points were fast and furious and entertaining to play and watch. There has to be some sort of game time that will keep the schedule the same for a day?

how many games end 7-0 end early...then there is a gap until the next scheduled time game happens...not really saving any daylight there. just a thought.

would make things exciting again, and not so boring as it is now. both to play and to watch
I agree. The final World Cup match Heat vs Damage was actually pretty boring to watch, in my opinion. I told my roommates who didn't know a thing about paintball to come watch, and they said quote "I thought tournament paintball was a lot more fast pace than this, what happened to that?" Get back to when Xball was full of excitement, these long drawn out points are not helping attract the sport to anyone new.

Buuuuut of course nothing will change the way the players want it to. Oh, and I like the Semi-pro thing

RIP Alex Myers
Sk8rPainterNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:21 PM #54
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
Quote:
If the match ended 2-1, clearly a risk of the other team getting to 7 points first was not a factor in the game.

- Chris

Old 11-15-2012, 06:24 PM #55
Deimus85
Playground Legend

Deimus85 is a Supporting Member
Deimus85 plays in the PSP
Deimus85 is an NCPA National Champion
Deimus85 plays in the APPA D2 division
Quote:

NCPA Class A format would be a good solution. Two 10 minute halves with a 5 minute half time, and only one time out per half. In all of the formats of paintball I have played, it is by far my favorite.

I just didn't think that it would be a realistic suggestion considering how successful the PSP has been in the past few seasons. As Chris said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Playground Legends/Fast Five/Drexel University NCPA Alumni/Bulldogs Athens Millennium/Washington Winstons
Feedback
Deimus85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:57 PM #56
swanton23
ASCENSION

swanton23 is BST Trusted
swanton23 plays in the PSP
swanton23 plays in the APPA D4 division
swanton23 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
regardless of how players will decide what they want, this is the set way for how they are running their current formats, if they believe a problem exists then they will change it. not much of anything we can do

ASCENSION
swanton23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:16 AM #57
Kirko017

Kirko017 plays in the PSP
Kirko017 posts videos on PbNation
Kirko017 is an NCPA player
Kirko017 plays in the APPA D4 division
Penalty boxes in all divisions would be great. Raceto7 in D3 and up like the Pros would be fun, would add a little bit more excitement and room for more creative/aggressive/risky breakouts for lower divisions than the standard back 5 spread you always see. D4 raceto5 or even keep raceto4 to get new teams in, but extend the time some.. Playing 2-1 scored games regularly is very boring.

I also like Class A though, but doubt that would happen. And if it did, they would probably change it for each division like it is now and ruin it.

Last edited by Kirko017 : 11-16-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Kirko017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:40 AM #58
Kirko017

Kirko017 plays in the PSP
Kirko017 posts videos on PbNation
Kirko017 is an NCPA player
Kirko017 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deimus85 View Post
NCPA Class A format would be a good solution. Two 10 minute halves with a 5 minute half time, and only one time out per half. In all of the formats of paintball I have played, it is by far my favorite.

I just didn't think that it would be a realistic suggestion considering how successful the PSP has been in the past few seasons. As Chris said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
They also say if it ain't broke, break it..
Honestly, what other realistic options are out there to choose from? If you do not play college ball you're stuck with PSP nationally unless you do 7man. And college paintball, yes as fun as it is, you typically have slim pickings when it comes to teammates and especially funds. And outside of national events the majority of the regional and local tournaments follow the PSP's format..

It's successful due to the only decent option. It can always be improved upon. Playing low raceto matches with hardly any time is lame. You play the one 6-8min point because each team takes the 5 back bunkers because you can't risk points in these low time, low score raceto matches, and when you do lose that 6-8minpoint. Try to do a run to the Race or something to try and win a quick point to save some type of time and your guy gets hit, that's basically game. And the match goes 2-0 or 2-1, very boring and a waste. Some of the pro games have points lasting as long as a full raceto4 match. And one major in a lower division, you're screwed unless you get it late in the match and you're already going to win the match.

Two 10(prefer 15)min halves with penalty boxes is a way better option than raceto4, raceto5, well just raceto in general.

But I do think raceto2 is fine. I would only suggest changing the game schedule. Instead put it where you face the same team twice before facing another team.

Last edited by Kirko017 : 11-16-2012 at 01:15 AM.
Kirko017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:25 PM #59
eforce
Factory PB

Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Remember, if you raise the point limit or game time, you raise the cost of participation. Longer games means more refs, more fields, more paint. The PSP makes these formatting decisions with access to data that allows them to streamline their operation. Everyone wants more playing time and nobody wants to pay for it.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:04 PM #60
TheGrimReeper
Rage Against The Machine!

TheGrimReeper plays in the PSP
TheGrimReeper plays in the APPA D2 division
TheGrimReeper has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I feel like layouts this season had a major impact on slowing down the game. If there is anything that needs to be changed (race to, time, whatever) it needs to be layouts, They just need to be.. well. better. Add more decent sized bunkers please

If you look at the layouts, EVERY layout this season had a 50 Dorito instead of having 2 40 d's. The snakes were the type that trapped the player at the 50/45. There was no way of crawling all the way down to there side to end a game.

If you watch the webcasts, there are plenty of points from each event where a team has 50 snake and 50 D- yet the other team has guys in the back line still living, that was usually not possible in the past it was much harder as there was not enough space to hide.

to put it bluntly Snake and D side were weak as **** on every layout this season. and The reason why they were weak is the new snake bunkers and only having 3 large d's IMO
-2012- 1st place PSP D2 Galveston Island, 4th place PSP World Cup
2012 Sponsors:
Empire/Hinkle PB/
FTJ Construction
Bird of Paradise Liquors

Last edited by TheGrimReeper : 11-16-2012 at 03:09 PM.
TheGrimReeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:07 PM #61
eforce
Factory PB

Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Personally, I'd love to see at least one event next season with the classic xball pin layout. It made aggressive breakouts much easier.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:39 PM #62
Maceman2
Nick Mace

Maceman2 plays in the PSP
Maceman2 plays in the APPA D1 division
Spoiler alert they will be adding props next year and taking nothing away look for at least one more big dorito
Thanks for all you do Empire
http://floridapaintballing.com/
RPS PAINT, There is no better
Maceman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:50 PM #63
custommatt

Annual Supporting Member
custommatt is a Professional paintball player
custommatt supports Team VICIOUS