PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-15-2012, 08:32 PM #22
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
Not led to, but definitely not told the whole story. You were told what was available that you qualify for.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-15-2012, 08:45 PM #23
DasWolfenstein

Okay so when I go down to meps demand the liaisons to know what I qualify for and submarine is voluntary only right? So if I say I don't want on a sub they can't put me on one?
DasWolfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:06 PM #24
JoeMcNugget
USMC

JoeMcNugget plays in the PSP
JoeMcNugget owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
JoeMcNugget plays in the APPA D4 division
JoeMcNugget has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
A lot of stupid advice in here.

Don't take what you don't want - it doesn't matter what the job gives you (you'll be doing navigation crap, fixing sound powered phones, and cleaning as a submarine ET) if you aren't happy doing it.

Don't pick a job based on enlistment or reenlistment bonuses - those change as manning changes, and the bonus is just another way you get played into doing something you don't necessarily want. IE - living paycheck to paycheck, then bailing your *** out with a reenlistment bonus

The clearance isn't worth **** to you. What you might see, when you get out, is a company thinking they can save a bunch of money on investigations and whatever if you still have an open security clearance at X level.
Are you stupid ? The security clearance is worth money especially in the CTR/IT/CTN and CTT rates which are all SIGINT, ELINT, and CYBER. The majority of CTN's are stationed at a NSA instillation where there civ counterpart is make almost 6 figures get you're information straight bro.
Powered by OXCC / Valken / Aztek Photos / Understood
JoeMcNugget is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:35 PM #25
tr0jandude
ROMAN

tr0jandude owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tr0jandude supports Team VICIOUS
tr0jandude supports Team VICIOUS
tr0jandude posts videos on PbNation
tr0jandude has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Just do what Barrel Roll is telling you to do.

Just tell your recruiter that you don't want what you currently have and tell him you want corpsman.

Also just go to a different branch recruiter and go talk to them. Tell them what you want. If your scores are as good as you say they are, they will want you. Chances are they will help you out with what ever paper work you need to do( if there is any) to switch over.

Don't sign anything unless you agree with it. Don't just take it cause they said that's all they have available to you.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:45 PM #26
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcNugget View Post
Are you stupid ? The security clearance is worth money especially in the CTR/IT/CTN and CTT rates which are all SIGINT, ELINT, and CYBER. The majority of CTN's are stationed at a NSA instillation where there civ counterpart is make almost 6 figures get you're information straight bro.
I'm smarter than you.

I explained clearances already.

The clearance isn't worth **** to you, what it does is (for the remainder of it's validity) makes it so the hiring company doesn't have to pay for your investigation. That is it. You have it already, so they don't have to pay for it. You're cheaper than the college grad.

Ask me how I know, junior.

Last edited by barrel roll : 11-15-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:07 PM #27
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasWolfenstein View Post
Okay so when I go down to meps demand the liaisons to know what I qualify for and submarine is voluntary only right? So if I say I don't want on a sub they can't put me on one?
They can give you a list of everything you qualify for. The problem comes from availability of schools and manning numbers. They take your scores and cross references it with the ratings that are classing up schools soon and ratings in need of bodies.

Submarine duty is volunteer. I think there is extra paperwork for that, but you get a special psych interview at bootcamp for it as well. If you don't volunteer, you don't go (unless you are riding, but that doesn't count).

READ EVERYTHING YOU SIGN.

but seriously, if you want Corpsman tell them that is all you'll accept and be prepared to walk.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:57 AM #28
DasWolfenstein

Quote:
They can give you a list of everything you qualify for. The problem comes from availability of schools and manning numbers. They take your scores and cross references it with the ratings that are classing up schools soon and ratings in need of bodies.

Submarine duty is volunteer. I think there is extra paperwork for that, but you get a special psych interview at bootcamp for it as well. If you don't volunteer, you don't go (unless you are riding, but that doesn't count).

but seriously, if you want Corpsman tell them that is all you'll accept and be prepared to walk.
Thanks for all the help I ship out for basic the 19th so hopefully I can get what I want.
DasWolfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:44 PM #29
MR_Rick

Well I would get everything worked out BEFORE you get shipped out. You can still walkout before you get sworn in the second time. All its going to happen is that the recruiter will not be happy.
MR_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:16 PM #30
2pipes
Legend in my own MIND

2pipes owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
2pipes supports Team VICIOUS
2pipes has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
2pipes supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll

If you go Corpsman will not be on Submarines until much later in your career. They are independent duty Corpsman and for sub service I never saw one less than an E6.

Second that READ EVERYTHING YOU SIGN

Ronnie Dixon fan club #30
2pipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:22 PM #31
Viper37
**** the C.S.A.

has been a member for 10 years
Viper37 helped look for balloons
Quote:
A lot of stupid advice in here.

Don't take what you don't want - it doesn't matter what the job gives you (you'll be doing navigation crap, fixing sound powered phones, and cleaning as a submarine ET) if you aren't happy doing it.
Hey mother****er, I fix the radar and TV too.

Originally posted by Mr.jon: "god viper is raping you guys with the comebacks, not even kidding."
Originally posted by kfresh: "car companys do not intentionally put parts on that will brake"
Viper37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:35 AM #32
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is Legendary
Yea... I couldn't remember if it was the NavETs or Radio. Or maybe I was thinking of ESM? Honestly, I don't even remember where the two groups split up as far as education was concerned.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:31 PM #33
snak3y3z1002

Quote:
Yea... I couldn't remember if it was the NavETs or Radio. Or maybe I was thinking of ESM? Honestly, I don't even remember where the two groups split up as far as education was concerned.
NavETs fixes the radar and crews TV. Radio stands ESM watch.
snak3y3z1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:41 AM #34
2pipes
Legend in my own MIND

2pipes owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
2pipes supports Team VICIOUS
2pipes has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
2pipes supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_Rick
You don't want to go into a rate that is over manned.

1. Is going to be harder to advance (get promoted)
2. In order for you to go over 4 years of service you have to go through PTS (Perform To Serve). This is the Navy's way to cut down on manning. One of the thing they look at is manning of that certain rate. They either make you move to another rate of just go home.
3. Some rates that are hard to fill have pretty good SRB's (Selective Reenlistment Bonus). I know for nukes they make $$$$$$ (I think over $40k every time the re-up). So find out about manning in your rate as well as advancement.

I don't know if they still do, but you might still be able to change your rate once you are in boot camp. There is a portion that you go over that stuff again and you might ask what else is available.

My recommendation? I would find something that isn't ship specific so you have a good shore duty rotation. IMO one of the best rate in the Navy is Air Traffic Controller (AC). Best sea/shore rotation.
I can verify NUKES make mad cash for reenlisting. I reenlisted once for $45k and another for $60k, and the nuclear jobs on the outside are really in demand and 100k plus jobs. Many of my buddies left to pull the cash. I myself got injured on active duty and went back to school. I had a few credits shy of an associates degree for NUKE school. Those are the benefits.

Bad stuff: You will still on the ship after deployment long after everyone has gone home (reactors have long complicated procedures to shut them down and place them in safe temperature and pressure bands). You will be smarter than many of the officers over you, yet you are enlisted and they are officers. Only difference they went to college first. Qualifications suck for nukes lots of studying, and making rate ( getting promoted) can be difficult because you are only compared with other NUKES in your rate.

One more piece of advice: VOLUNTEER FOR SUBMARINE DUTY. A lot of chiefs and officers in the Surface fleet are A** Holes. Had I not been injured and discharged I would have stayed for 20 ( only did 12 years), but never could have made it dealing with surface puke chiefs daily. Sorry surface guys E6 and below and the few cool surface chiefs I meet, but most of the higher ups were jerks

Stepping off my soap box.

Ronnie Dixon fan club #30
2pipes is offline   Reply With Quote