Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-15-2012, 01:37 AM #1
alee18
HK for Hello Kitty

alee18 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Please help get started

Hello Nation,

I am new to this sport, have been collecting and shooting firearms for over 9 years. I'm 25 years old kinda a late start I know, but I'm looking to get my first marker set up and I have tons of questions.

I'm aware that some of the top of the line markers such as dm13 and ego 12 or 13 can cost over 1500. That would be an over kill for me, however I was looking at the old models such as ego 5 or 6 and dm5 or 6 at under $200.

So what am I loosing with 05 model vs lets say 07 is there like a cut off model year, where I should consider one older than so and so year?

What would be a good deal for ego 5 and dm5 in stock form good condition say 8/10?

Based on research seems that dye rotor is a very good option as well as ninja 4500 tank, but do I really need to get these high end hopper and tank if I'm settling for an old model of PE or Dye?

Thank you in advance.
alee18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-15-2012, 03:43 AM #2
p8ntballer101
YETI

has been a member for 10 years
-----
I would get a nice shocker old school a halo 2 and any cheap carbon fiber tank. I left and came back and bought a dp g4 with no complaint. I always say buy the gun new and the gear used.
APPA Player ID#9837 - CURRENT RANK: D3
FIRE IN THE HOLE!~ DP G4 APE RAMPAGE LED BOARD TECHT BOLT SP FULL FREAK W/ AA TIP ROTOR 77cu NINJA TANK DYE HYPER3 REG EXALT TANK and REG GRIP (onT e c h P B@:: p8ntballer101 )
p8ntballer101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:20 AM #3
loneassassin
A Grim and...

There's very little difference between an 05 Ego and a brand-spanking-new one in terms of shooting performance. There's not even much difference in weight. An '05 will go and mow faces just as well. Pretty much, technology has been at a standstill since about '04. The only concern with a gun that old is that it may have been cycled so many times that parts are worn out. Those can be replaced though.

As for loaders, I'd recommend a Rotor. An older gun like you mentioned needs it just as bad as a 2012 model. Basically, there are only two loaders I'd recommend to anybody: a Viewloader Revolution for slower guns and a Rotor for faster guns. Everything else is pretty much a compromise or will not hold up to the abuse of paintball. (After going through 2 shells on my Prophecy, I've decided I will not purchase a third one -- they need to start using better plastic. Until then, they have lost my business. That wouldn't happen with a Rotor -- I don't doubt that you could play a game of tackle football with a Rotor, then turn around and use it in a paintball tournament).

As for air systems, you can't go wrong with a Ninja.

My halfblocked Trilogy pump:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...6/P3250486.jpg

Last edited by loneassassin : 11-15-2012 at 07:25 AM.
loneassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:37 AM #4
Zethis
NJ & NY

Zethis has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Zethis has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
What's your total budget?

Invest in a good thermal mask before getting a gun/tank/hopper

And make sure the tank you get uses compressed air and not co2
Zethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:55 AM #5
alee18
HK for Hello Kitty

So everyone would agree that I should purchase a brand new marker but much lower end such as dp g4 or even proto rail at around $200 vs lets say used ego 5-6 or dm 5-6 for the same price?

My budget for everything I guess is 500 including all gear and the 1st trip to pb field
Old 11-15-2012, 11:10 AM #6
rexisme

Annual Supporting Member
rexisme supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by alee18 View Post
So everyone would agree that I should purchase a brand new marker but much lower end such as dp g4 or even proto rail at around $200 vs lets say used ego 5-6 or dm 5-6 for the same price?

My budget for everything I guess is 500 including all gear and the 1st trip to pb field
I would buy new, especially if it was my first time. Do you have a shop in your area? Is it a shop that also has a field?

Often times a shop that has a field will give you some sort of a deal if you buy a marker from them. The few around here will give you a pass good for a years worth admission and free air. That could be big savings right there depending on how much entry cost to a field in your area.

So if you factor that in, buying used could actually cost you more money. Figure you buy the gun lightly used and save $75 bucks vs. new but get a pass w/ entry and air, all you have to go is 5 times in a year to make up the difference (that is with only a $15 entry fee a majority of them can and will be higher).
Old 11-15-2012, 11:18 AM #7
Zethis
NJ & NY

Define all gear... there are tons of optional accessories and it adds up real quick.
Gun, hopper, tank, mask, jersey, pants, elbow/knee pads, harness, throat protector, sandana, swabs, grease, bags, etc etc.

Trip to pb field is around 75 for entry and a case of field grade paint.
That leaves you with around 425

You can pickup a used axe for around 300. It's got all the high end features and ease of maintainability like STBB guns like entry level tippmans and spyders.

JT proflex goggle for 50 bux on sale right now at ansgear.

Cheap steelie HPA tank is around 40 bux.

Used halo too hopper for around 50 bux

Theres all your essentials for 440 + 75 bux for entry and a case of paint = $515
Old 11-15-2012, 01:55 PM #8
alee18
HK for Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexisme View Post
I would buy new, especially if it was my first time. Do you have a shop in your area? Is it a shop that also has a field?

Often times a shop that has a field will give you some sort of a deal if you buy a marker from them. The few around here will give you a pass good for a years worth admission and free air. That could be big savings right there depending on how much entry cost to a field in your area.

So if you factor that in, buying used could actually cost you more money. Figure you buy the gun lightly used and save $75 bucks vs. new but get a pass w/ entry and air, all you have to go is 5 times in a year to make up the difference (that is with only a $15 entry fee a majority of them can and will be higher).
Well I would imagine the shops sell their product at retail prices mostly. I am not sure how often I will be paintballing probably no more than few times 5 times a month.

I wasn't looking to get a used lower end gun such as DP G4, Proto Rail, Mini etc.. if I decide to buy this level gun I would get it new because like you said perhaps I will not save much more over the new one esp with a range hook up.

However, Im still not sure if I will be getting a better gun/deal on OLD but High end gun such as Ego 05 DM5 VS buying a mid end but new?
Old 11-15-2012, 02:05 PM #9
alee18
HK for Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zethis View Post
Define all gear... there are tons of optional accessories and it adds up real quick.
Gun, hopper, tank, mask, jersey, pants, elbow/knee pads, harness, throat protector, sandana, swabs, grease, bags, etc etc.

Trip to pb field is around 75 for entry and a case of field grade paint.
That leaves you with around 425

You can pickup a used axe for around 300. It's got all the high end features and ease of maintainability like STBB guns like entry level tippmans and spyders.

JT proflex goggle for 50 bux on sale right now at ansgear.

Cheap steelie HPA tank is around 40 bux.

Used halo too hopper for around 50 bux

Theres all your essentials for 440 + 75 bux for entry and a case of paint = $515
300 for used axe seems high? idk but I have seen nice Dye DM7 go for under $300.

I guess all gear would be the marker, hopper, tank and mask and 1st outing to the range. Everything else can wait until later I guess.

Based on research I have conducted seems that Ninja 4500 tank and Dye Rotor are top choices for the tank and hopper. I could get them for under $200 used. The mask is about $50 + like you saud about $75 for the entry and paint, that leaves me about $200 on marker.

Now is it a bad move to buy high end and current tank/hopper and pair it with OLD high end gun such as Ego 05 or DM5? Should I get cheaper/lesser tank/hopper and better marker?
Old 11-15-2012, 03:25 PM #10
SKI008
Fear my Join Date

has been a member for 10 years
Rotors might be indestructible but they also jam a lot and are priced higher. I would look at a Halo Too as that's half the price of a used Rotor brand new and will keep up with any gun. Sure you lose the quick take down of higher-end hoppers like the Prophecy and Rotor but I think saving $60-$100 is worth it.

Hell I see Prophecies in the BST for $50-$60 used and unless you're slamming your gun into stuff and failing at diving you're not going to be breaking shells. The tank for sure get a Ninja. I wouldn't spend 1/5th of your budget on any loader for your first time. Especially not a one that jams as frequently as I've seen.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:30 PM #11
Zethis
NJ & NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by alee18 View Post
300 for used axe seems high? idk but I have seen nice Dye DM7 go for under $300.

I guess all gear would be the marker, hopper, tank and mask and 1st outing to the range. Everything else can wait until later I guess.

Based on research I have conducted seems that Ninja 4500 tank and Dye Rotor are top choices for the tank and hopper. I could get them for under $200 used. The mask is about $50 + like you saud about $75 for the entry and paint, that leaves me about $200 on marker.

Now is it a bad move to buy high end and current tank/hopper and pair it with OLD high end gun such as Ego 05 or DM5? Should I get cheaper/lesser tank/hopper and better marker?
The DM 5-8 and EGO 05-08 are much older gun and has gone through many years of wear and tear vs a used axe which is probably <1 year old. The DM guns also require a bit of maintenance knowledge. Both are good choices though, do some quick searches on pbnation to see what others say about those guns.

It's a better idea to put your money towards mask/tank/hopper before your gun. Plus those you can take with you to your next marker.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:33 PM #12
Zethis
NJ & NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI008 View Post
Rotors might be indestructible but they also jam a lot and are priced higher. I would look at a Halo Too as that's half the price of a used Rotor brand new and will keep up with any gun. Sure you lose the quick take down of higher-end hoppers like the Prophecy and Rotor but I think saving $60-$100 is worth it.

Hell I see Prophecies in the BST for $50-$60 used and unless you're slamming your gun into stuff and failing at diving you're not going to be breaking shells. The tank for sure get a Ninja. I wouldn't spend 1/5th of your budget on any loader for your first time. Especially not a one that jams as frequently as I've seen.
I own a rotor and disagree with how much it jams. If you just turn down the spring tension a little and don't use year old $20 cases of paint from walmart, it's fine. I have yet to have it jam on me. You don't need 50 bps feeding of the rotor on full tension to shoot 12.5 bps PSP ramp.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:05 PM #13
alee18
HK for Hello Kitty

I guess the maintance part doesn't scare me off that much. Considering i have build firearms before such as ak ar glock sig and yesterday I took a very basic marker completely apart and replaced all o rings. I think it was trs3 or something, I know dm is going to be more complicated, but I think I will be Ble to service it with some help on here and YouTube
Old 11-15-2012, 07:07 PM #14
loneassassin
A Grim and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI008 View Post

I don't know, the last time I played was with the worst paint I've EVER shot, literally 2-3 dimples PER BALL. The Rotor never jammed once. In fact, mine has NEVER jammed except for once or twice when checking to see if it would truly feed 50 bps in a drop test (it does -- it just won't do that on the gun).

As for the Prophecy's shells breaking, both of mine broke simply when I removed the hopper from the gun. There was no impact involved.

My halfblocked Trilogy pump:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...6/P3250486.jpg
loneassassin is offline   Reply With Quote