Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 08:03 AM #85
Matt.is.back2011
We are all Witness
 
Matt.is.back2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Progressive VAT tax replacing income tax is fine; VAT on top of income tax is just stupid. Businesses WILL pass that along to the consumer, rest assured.


As for Animal Mother, I think you may want to re-adjust your W4. I get $553.00 taken out in taxes, and still walk away with $1600 AFTER my 401k+medical deductions.

Your year-end tax return is probably a lot nicer than mine though.
__________________
THE OHIO STATE
Class of 2011
Matt.is.back2011 is offline  
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-15-2012, 08:40 AM #86
chodeyg
sprezzatura
 
chodeyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: via lactea
Quote:
Originally Posted by scienceguy View Post
I don't think it's quite as awesome as you say it is. The people I've seen here aren't very happy. In general, they're kept a few notches above angry. The scammers with six SS#s do much better.

I think you need to take account of what you really pay for with all those annoying social programs. You're really paying for social stability.

You claim to be someone that has fought in countries that lack these social programs so you've seen the results of a society with a large percentage of poor angry people. Do you think you would be able to stir up a hornets nest like Iraq, Somalia, Liberia, etc. in a population whose biggest health issue is obesity? You might be able to get a day or two or riots and looting, but then they get tired and go home.

You pay for something in the West, and for the most part you get it. Elections aren't bookended by violence and you don't have razor wire around your house.

Your other option is a powerful secret police like North Korea and Saddam's Iraq. I, personally, would prefer to complain about taxes over political prison.

If you hate your union status so much, Foxconn is always hiring.
Thanks for this post. A lot of people seem to forget these countries that foster terrorism and anti US sentiment have no social safety nets whatsoever.
__________________
Resurrect dead on planet Jupiter
chodeyg is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 08:57 AM #87
barrel roll
secedere
 
barrel roll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: FL/GA border
barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by chodeyg View Post
Thanks for this post. A lot of people seem to forget these countries that foster terrorism and anti US sentiment have no social safety nets whatsoever.
You'd be surprised what you can live without.
__________________
--- UNDRPRVLGD Goggle Straps n stuff ---
If this be treason, make the most of it.-Patrick Henry
I'm a damn veteran, I've got more rights and privileges than you do.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is online now  
Old 11-15-2012, 09:35 AM #88
slateman
 
 
slateman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chantilly, VA
slateman is a Supporting Member
slateman is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
I can't wait till I get paid 1800 a week ...
__________________
In your haste to save the world, take care you don't destroy it.
slateman is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 09:47 AM #89
scienceguy
 
 
scienceguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
You'd be surprised what you can live without.
I won't argue with that statement, but i dont see how its relevant to the social stability argument.
scienceguy is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 12:54 PM #90
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff
 
TheSilentAssassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
__________________
“There are only two kinds of people, those who accept dogmas and know it, and those who accept dogmas and don’t know it.” – G. K. Chesterton - The Mercy of Mr. Arnold Bennett, Fancies vs. Fads
TheSilentAssassin is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 01:13 PM #91
BodyCount81
Jerrah
 
BodyCount81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
BodyCount81 supports Cereal Killerz 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
You'd be surprised what you can live without.
Tell that to the people on welfare buying lobsters.
__________________
"Get on that fifty! Someone get on that fifty!"

"It's mine."
BodyCount81 is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 01:20 PM #92
Matt.is.back2011
We are all Witness
 
Matt.is.back2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BodyCount81
Tell that to the people on welfare buying lobsters.
This.

Illegal Welfare Lobster farms is becoming a huge issue in the United States.
__________________
THE OHIO STATE
Class of 2011
Matt.is.back2011 is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 01:32 PM #93
licence2kill
POOP
 
licence2kill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Orange County
End illegal welfare lobster farming NOW
licence2kill is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 01:34 PM #94
scienceguy
 
 
scienceguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BodyCount81 View Post
Tell that to the people on welfare buying lobsters.
It's funny how things change. Lobsters used to be the crap poor people had to eat. Now when people want to be fancy they eat a giant bug.

In any case lobster is pretty cheap now. It's not what it was 10 years ago. It was 4.99 lb on special at market basket last time i checked. They'd even steam it for free while tou wait. Gotta love the basket.
scienceguy is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 01:47 PM #95
F1VENOM
 
 
F1VENOM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt.is.back2011 View Post
This.

Illegal Welfare Lobster farms is becoming a huge issue in the United States.
__________________
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 01:54 PM #96
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I don't see why you guys are giving him so much **** about this. I think it's perfectly reasonable to be upset about being taxed so much. His income is irrelevant, but everyone here seems to think that because he has enough to get by on your standards, he shouldn't be *****ing.

Where is the logic behind taxing someone more as they work more? I understand taxing more if you are PAID more, but not based on how much you work. It's as if the government wants you to work hard, but not TOO hard.

He doesn't work to support the government, he works to support himself / family. If we're going to put a burden on anyone, it should be on the people who have more money than they know what to do with it.

Just my .02.
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 01:56 PM #97
F1VENOM
 
 
F1VENOM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhIoCoNtRActKilLa View Post
Where is the logic behind taxing someone more as they work more? I understand taxing more if you are PAID more, but not based on how much you work. It's as if the government wants you to work hard, but not TOO hard.
__________________
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 02:04 PM #98
licence2kill
POOP
 
licence2kill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Orange County
im always amazed at how many people don't understand tax brackets
licence2kill is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 02:13 PM #99
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff
 
TheSilentAssassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhIoCoNtRActKilLa View Post
I don't see why you guys are giving him so much **** about this. I think it's perfectly reasonable to be upset about being taxed so much. His income is irrelevant, but everyone here seems to think that because he has enough to get by on your standards, he shouldn't be *****ing.

Where is the logic behind taxing someone more as they work more? I understand taxing more if you are PAID more, but not based on how much you work. It's as if the government wants you to work hard, but not TOO hard.

He doesn't work to support the government, he works to support himself / family. If we're going to put a burden on anyone, it should be on the people who have more money than they know what to do with it.

Just my .02.
The problem is that he expects the public goods provided by government but doesn't want to pay for it.
__________________
“There are only two kinds of people, those who accept dogmas and know it, and those who accept dogmas and don’t know it.” – G. K. Chesterton - The Mercy of Mr. Arnold Bennett, Fancies vs. Fads
TheSilentAssassin is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 02:32 PM #100
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
He receives the same goods as I do, but he pays as much in taxes as I make in one check. Where is the logic behind that?
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 02:33 PM #101
toolbandfan
The dude abides
 
toolbandfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
toolbandfan is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
toolbandfan is playing at Living Legends VII
What state is this you're working in Mother and what exactly does a Machine Operator position require to work as one? Mechanical repair experience or something else?
__________________
MY FEEDBACK!
toolbandfan is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 04:04 PM #102
custar
 
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Norman, OK
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhIoCoNtRActKilLa View Post
He receives the same goods as I do, but he pays as much in taxes as I make in one check. Where is the logic behind that?
In before posts of "He benefits more from society".

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
I see you and others posting "Correlation does not equal causation" in this forum quite a bit. Do you have a link that establishes a causal effect?

custar
__________________
Are the Geisterjagers over the top?
Well, let's just say "The Top" is barely a speck in our rear view mirror.


"That the said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United states who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms..."
Samuel Adams
Ave Caesar Obama! Tributituri ad moritus te salutant.

Looking for Action Markers Diadem Tanks for sale

Old feedback thread
custar is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 05:24 PM #103
drgonzo
Half-cocked
 
drgonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhIoCoNtRActKilLa View Post
Where is the logic behind taxing someone more as they work more? I understand taxing more if you are PAID more, but not based on how much you work. It's as if the government wants you to work hard, but not TOO hard.
What do you think the reason is for the higher tax rate? It's because he's getting paid more, duh.

Nowhere on your tax return does it count how many hours you worked.
__________________
PUMPPB.COM - Pump paintball forums
HawaiiPB.com - Paintball forums for the state of Hawaii
HawaiiPB/PumpPB - Our videos | Droidtiles.com - NFC Tags for Android and mobile devices
drgonzo is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 05:38 PM #104
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff
 
TheSilentAssassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by custar View Post
I see you and others posting "Correlation does not equal causation" in this forum quite a bit. Do you have a link that establishes a causal effect?
I have a book that does (or attempts to). To be honest, it gets pretty meaty. This is one of those things that scholars go back and forth with. I can try to dig around the internet for some stuff but no promises.
__________________
“There are only two kinds of people, those who accept dogmas and know it, and those who accept dogmas and don’t know it.” – G. K. Chesterton - The Mercy of Mr. Arnold Bennett, Fancies vs. Fads
TheSilentAssassin is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 05:45 PM #105
licence2kill
POOP
 
licence2kill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Orange County
Life expectancy and income in the U.S:

http://theincidentaleconomist.com/wo...ncy-arguments/
licence2kill is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump