Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-14-2012, 11:38 PM #1
Marmaduke
Aqua Team Agg Force

Marmaduke owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Marmaduke plays in the APPA D4 division
Tank Regulator Corrosion/Oxidization?

Pulled the reg off of my Draxxus tank to get it hydro'd, and noticed some corrosion on it. I've taken the reg off multiple times and never seen this before. It's perforated it's way into a light coating throughout what I can see below the threading.

I don't have this problem on my PE tank. Not sure if it's something to be worried about. Should I attempt to clean this thing up? What type of solvents should I use?

Or, should I just buy a new reg? I was thinking of getting a myth regulator for my PE tank (68/45) and would then put that reg on my Draxxus tank (48/45 stubby).

Thanks for the help guys. I've attached some cell phone pics to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

A5OG Feedback 12/0/0
Marmaduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-15-2012, 07:35 AM #2
bronze
copper alloy

Annual Supporting Member
bronze donated to help Peyton Trent
Does it taste sweet? It may be an excessive amount of loctite.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:37 AM #3
Marmaduke
Aqua Team Agg Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronze View Post
Does it taste sweet? It may be an excessive amount of loctite.
It shouldn't be locktite. I've never noticed it before, and since the first time I took the reg off to travel (2008), I've never locktited it back on or had this issue. The tank has been sitting with 3500PSI in it too.
A5OG Feedback 12/0/0
Old 11-15-2012, 03:01 PM #4
chris@CrossFire

chris@CrossFire works for a Paintball manufacturer
We do a lot of hydros weekly and get to see inside everything. Probably built up condensation and compressor filter. A lot of compressors have condensation filters or seperators. You would think it would be something that just clogs up. They have a life on them and are over $100 to replace. Instead of clogging they decintegrate when they start to get old. We have seen so many regs with what looks like bar soap or caked dry baking soda all through the reg and you can see it coming out the top pin (extreme case) toward the gun. It is hard to clean and virtualy impossible to know what place a fill came from to begin the residue build.
There are two scinarios just one is easier to explain(condensation) and now you have a good understanding of the other.

Yours is minor to what we see. Solid white on base and going into the reg. Yours is nothing major at all

CrossFire only makes 5 YEAR HYDRO CARBON FIBER TANKS. No more guessing or finding out you got a glass 3 year bottle. You can TRUST CrossFire Hydro to know everything about your bottle and keep you in the game.

Last edited by chris@CrossFire : 11-15-2012 at 03:05 PM.
chris@CrossFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:23 PM #5
Marmaduke
Aqua Team Agg Force

Thank you for the help, it is very much appreciated! =]
A5OG Feedback 12/0/0
Old 11-16-2012, 12:19 PM #6
Open_Truth (Banned)

Open_Truth owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Open_Truth owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Perhaps use some steel wool to clean it off? Not sure what you would want to use as a solvent.
Open_Truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:47 PM #7
Marmaduke
Aqua Team Agg Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open_Truth View Post
Perhaps use some steel wool to clean it off? Not sure what you would want to use as a solvent.
I dont' think steel wool will allow me to get everything inside the reg. I've already ordered a new one, and may just try to sell this one cheap.
A5OG Feedback 12/0/0
Old 11-16-2012, 03:37 PM #8
tvise
USPN Hollister CA

tvise owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tvise owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tvise posts videos on PbNation
tvise has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I do not recommend this but this is what I do for stuff like this(out side a tank)

I take some rubbing alcohol and some table salt mic it together in a ziplock bag and then put the piece that needs corrosion removal. then shake it around for a minute or two. This will create a mild acid and will eat it away.

I most recently did this with the bolt from a black magic autocker. It will eat it all away in a matter of minutes.

Again I would not recommend this on something of such high pressure.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:02 PM #9
Marmaduke
Aqua Team Agg Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvise View Post
I do not recommend this but this is what I do for stuff like this(out side a tank)

I take some rubbing alcohol and some table salt mic it together in a ziplock bag and then put the piece that needs corrosion removal. then shake it around for a minute or two. This will create a mild acid and will eat it away.

I most recently did this with the bolt from a black magic autocker. It will eat it all away in a matter of minutes.

I may try that next time I pick up an older marker that needs some TLC, but won't dare do it on an HPA tank.
A5OG Feedback 12/0/0
Old 11-17-2012, 08:23 AM #10
Necrogen98
:D

Necrogen98 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Necrogen98 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Necrogen98 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvise View Post

It doesn't make an acid, it makes an abrasive. Salt will not dissolve in alcohol so it's like having sandy water or pumice hand soap to scrub with. It tears crap like this off in minutes and is perfectly safe, even for a tank regulator. The salt is too soft and won't remove any metal so have fun!

Ego 9 / DM7 / JOLE Blackout________________Bunker Mafia________________ NotSoLucky
Necrogen98 is offline   Reply With Quote