Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-14-2012, 05:05 AM #43
scroadkill
still pump'n - go figure

Now I can appreciate the effort to turn the game into a sport by shrinking the fields and thereby making the game easier to film for a TV audience - but.. well I think this effort failed in numerous ways.

Boring to watch, boring to play if thats all you play*

*I personally find speedball boring to play. The field are small and the games are always two flag which boils down into total elimination.
And I like two flag and total elim as much as the next guy..but it gets old if thats all you play.

I can't say that making the fields bigger and introducing a larger variety of games would help
but I know from my years reffing that game variety was critical to keep the game new and fresh
for the repeat players and to help keep them from getting bored.

For example: The presidents game, search and destroy / bunny hunt, jail break, werewolf/zombie, 3 team games, freeze tag, attack and defend.. and the list goes on.
It takes a bit of realestate to really play the variety of games the "sport" was built on.

By limiting the field size many owners limited their option to introduce variety.

IMO: It takes a bit of realestate to keep the game from being boring.
Advertisement
Old 11-14-2012, 05:16 AM #44
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See

has been a member for 10 years
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Soul06 supports Empire
COD: Black Ops 2 just came out. I predict a further decline in speedballers and noticeable rise in woodballers come spring. Anyone want to place a wager? Lol jk

Custom Ano'd Prestige CSL w/ Dart Kit - Midnight Superblue LV1
Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:45 AM #45
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul06 View Post
COD: Black Ops 2 just came out. I predict a further decline in speedballers and noticeable rise in woodballers come spring. Anyone want to place a wager? Lol jk
I believe computer First Person Shooter games don't help woodsball either. I think they compete with all painitball and in general keep people at home rather than on the field.
Horizon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:02 AM #46
Soul06

Soul06 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon
I believe computer First Person Shooter games don't help woodsball either. I think they compete with all painitball and in general keep people at home rather than on the field.
In this I believe you are very wrong. I don't think anyone has ever done the real research see but from personal experience I see those video games attracting a large number of new players. Whether the sport retains them is another matter entirely but the desire to "play COD for real" I see/hear all the time.
Last year in anticipation of the release of Modern Warfare 3 a recreation of one popular map from an MW2 field was built in Cali. The response of people wanting to play there was tremendous.

On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Last edited by Soul06 : 11-14-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:07 AM #47
Bconaway

Bconaway is BST Trusted
Bconaway owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Bconaway plays in the APPA beginner division
Bconaway has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Bconaway has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Bconaway has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Bconaway has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon
I hear you there, that's why I dont own video games, just causes problems I prefer to be outside play some football, basketball, or paintball.

Also as for speedball getting boring, it's only boring if you make I boring. If you go out there wanting to have fun no matter what kind of ball your playing; rec speed ball, woods ball, or tournament ball, you most likely will have fun. It's a matter of your attitude, if you go out thinking your better then everyone else then youll prolly be miserable, and you need to just leave and find a game equal OR above your skill level. Also is helps to have friends out playing with you even if you meet them out on the field. SpeedBall could still be number one if people were positive, helpful and friendly. Thats all it takes and it isn't that hard. I have met alot of really cool people out on the field and have quite a few friends from it. And if your claiming to be some religion like a christian it's says to help others before yourself and you will be rewarded. And its true it makes the game funner and makes people wanna come back and play again.
Sorry about getting philosophical just trying to get my point across

Oh also if you just go and do the same thing over and over yeah you might get bored. Try different starts AND positions on the field. Try camping in rec ball AND playing aggressive. Try using a mechanical gun AND electronic. Try different types of guns like pumps or electronic boarded guns. Heck rent a gun and play that way.
Its as fun as you make it don't blame the game blame the player, because the players make the game what it is not the other way around

AlphaBaller
Bconaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:44 AM #48
Horizon

Quote:
In this I believe you are very wrong. I don't think anyone has ever done the real research see but from personal experience I see those video games attracting a large number of new players. Whether the sport retains them is another matter entirely but the desire to "play COD for real" I see/hear all the time.
You are entitled to your opinion.

I agree that there is not enough research or statistics (at least I don't know of any) to tell us one way or the other whether video games are hurting or helping paintball. I do know that recently some new game came out and several avid paintballers I know spent all weekend playing video games instead of paintball. These are players who usually go out and play every weekend.

Quote:
Last year in anticipation of the release of Modern Warfare 3 a recreation of one popular map from an MW2 field was built in Cali. The response of people wanting to play there was tremendous.
I have no doubt that this is true. But really all that demonstrates is how popular these games are. It doesn't tell us if there were paintball players overall during that period. If I had the money I would be building replica video game sets as well due to their popularity.

The thing is as video games get more and more complex and realistic, there is less need for people to experience the "real" thing. When they have access to many different "maps" at their fingertips at a fraction of the cost and inconvenience, my opinion is that it is hurting paintball participation overall. I know my own son, several years ago now, stopped playing paintball when he became virtually addicted to WOW. He spent so many hours on his computer playing WOW that there was little time left for anything else. When I would ask him to come and play paintball, he would say no, he didn't have time, and then later I would find out he spent all day playing video games. And I know he was just one of millions.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:54 AM #49
Fedo
Who Has More Fun?

Fedo owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Fedo is an NCPA player
Fedo plays in the APPA D5 division
Maybe I am blind, but I highly disagree with the Original Poster's claims here.

The industry has taken a bit of a dive, but to say there is a decline is a bit dramatic in my opinion. I am seeing growth in both the tournament style play as well as the recreational department of paintball. To think that the two can not exist together is completely asinine. Speedball, as it stands now as being run by many leagues in different formats, is growing still and will still grow. We are seeing more and more tournament activity internationally, and the companies making product for tournament play are growing as well. Look at HK Army, or Valken for example. These are two companies that if you look at where they were in 2009 and looked today you would see a large boost.

I have to argue that it isn't a decline in speedball, but a raise in paintball. You saw a lot of pros advocating the return to origins this year with the UWL. Hell they had a UWL section at World Cup right next to the speedball tournament. The industry is growing again, and thank God it is. Players got to see that the sport isn't ever going to focus solely on one format or style of play. The sport is so versatile and flexible that it can change shape and still be exciting to new players, recreational, speedballers, scenario players, and big gamers alike. The "Speedball vs X" debate is counter productive and I believe the best strategy for ANY field owner is to support what his area wants, and support the industry as a whole.

To further my disagreement, I also do not think ROF is a major component in the speedball angst. I understand that to you, it is not an appealing format, but you claim to the format not being exciting, that you are all depending on luck and volume is a complete fallacy. Speedball is just as much a battle of angles, agression, mental game, and athleticism. I will argue those points in a second. The ROF argument is becoming redundant and invalid. This last season we saw the Cap at 12.5 BPS. You now see the Leagues taking it a step further and dropping the cap to 11.5 BPS. If the game was only about who can shoot faster, than why is there this hard cap, and why is it being lowered? I argue that ROF is not a factor at all. It is a dismay to some field owners when arrogant and ignorant tournament players rail on recreational and newbies, and I can understand the angst there. That is a matter that you need to talk to your regulars or those players about. Players need to use their head when it comes to those issues.

To return to some statements I made though, Speedball does require more skill then what you stated. You can watch any match in the 2012 PSP and see that getting players to key spots on the field turn the match over. The use of strategy and mental awareness is a key to any sort of success. Time and Time again you saw teams who just wanted to sit back and roll through their paint get destroyed.

My conclusions is that there is no "Decline of Speedball." We are seeing a rebirth of the sport as a whole and all its different variations rising with it. As a field owner, you should be embracing this rise and promoting the sport as a whole instead of condemning any single format as inferior or worse than another. We all have our personal preferences. As for me I play tournament Speedball, and I love to get our and play pump as recreational and some Woodsball and Scenario.

Windy City Punishers

Like us on Faceboook: Illinois State Redbirds Paintball
Fedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:56 AM #50
Soul06

Soul06 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
You are entitled to your opinion.

I agree that there is not enough research or statistics (at least I don't know of any) to tell us one way or the other whether video games are hurting or helping paintball. I do know that recently some new game came out and several avid paintballers I know spent all weekend playing video games instead of paintball. These are players who usually go out and play every weekend.

I have no doubt that this is true. But really all that demonstrates is how popular these games are. It doesn't tell us if there were paintball players overall during that period. If I had the money I would be building replica video game sets as well due to their popularity.

The thing is as video games get more and more complex and realistic, there is less need for people to experience the "real" thing. When they have access to many different "maps" at their fingertips at a fraction of the cost and inconvenience, my opinion is that it is hurting paintball participation overall. I know my own son, several years ago now, stopped playing paintball when he became virtually addicted to WOW. He spent so many hours on his computer playing WOW that there was little time left for anything else. When I would ask him to come and play paintball, he would say no, he didn't have time, and then later I would find out he spent all day playing video games. And I know he was just one of millions.
Well WOW is a entirely different beast altogether. People abandon reality for that game. Drop out of school. Divorce their families. Start going to secret midnight gatherings in black cloaks with special candels and weird chants. I dont even mess with them LOL

But seriously though, I think it may be a matter of perception dependent on location. Until actually research is ever done that is. Most serious ballers that I personally know are also serious COD gamers. The love of one further drives their love of the other going both ways.

Last edited by Soul06 : 11-14-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:02 AM #51
Fedo
Who Has More Fun?

Fedo is an NCPA player
<--- Was once a Wow player. In the top 200 of the US and 1000 of the World. I came out alright LOK THOR! Sorry... excuse me.

Gaming is great, but always needs to be exercised with moderation. And just plan exercise

Windy City Punishers

Old 11-14-2012, 11:29 AM #52
SlamSlayer
NYMP Founder

Most of the time at the field all I hear rentals/newer players (in woodsball gear) talk about is CoD in relation to the game. Kill streaks, kills, maps, every gun is an m4, etc. They come to play and think CoD in real life. They compare overall K/D for the day and if they havent already, they gawk at the Alpha Blacks and Omegas and talk about how bad they want the CoD gun.

Video games, imo, definitely add players to the sport.
SlamSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:08 PM #53
Soul06

Soul06 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamSlayer
Most of the time at the field all I hear rentals/newer players (in woodsball gear) talk about is CoD in relation to the game. Kill streaks, kills, maps, every gun is an m4, etc. They come to play and think CoD in real life. They compare overall K/D for the day and if they havent already, they gawk at the Alpha Blacks and Omegas and talk about how bad they want the CoD gun.

Video games, imo, definitely add players to the sport.
Same things I hear. And I do so HATE hearing them call fields "maps". But all in all, if it's adding players to the game then I'll take it

Old 11-14-2012, 03:16 PM #54
Team_ILLNatured
Running Hatchet Man

Annual Supporting Member
Team_ILLNatured owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Team_ILLNatured owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Team_ILLNatured supports Team VICIOUS
Team_ILLNatured plays in the APPA D5 division
Team_ILLNatured is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedo View Post
To further my disagreement, I also do not think ROF is a major component in the speedball angst. I understand that to you, it is not an appealing format, but you claim to the format not being exciting, that you are all depending on luck and volume is a complete fallacy. Speedball is just as much a battle of angles, agression, mental game, and athleticism. I will argue those points in a second. The ROF argument is becoming redundant and invalid. This last season we saw the Cap at 12.5 BPS. You now see the Leagues taking it a step further and dropping the cap to 11.5 BPS. If the game was only about who can shoot faster, than why is there this hard cap, and why is it being lowered? I argue that ROF is not a factor at all. It is a dismay to some field owners when arrogant and ignorant tournament players rail on recreational and newbies, and I can understand the angst there. That is a matter that you need to talk to your regulars or those players about. Players need to use their head when it comes to those issues.
to support this, I provide this statement from a guy that used to play for LOCKOUT in the old 10 man days
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGD#14 View Post
I understand where you both are coming from and why. But I do disagree that 15.4 will "slow" the game down. In fact being able to shoot 15.4 makes games faster. Just compare any CXBL, USPA points to any PSP points. PSP points are by far much slower and drawn out. 15.4 makes in easier to lane and put players in there for making 15.4 a bit faster in points.

I also disagree with going with the "norm" of national and regiional events. Why because those events are all race to format. And having the big differences between race to and x ball is what makes it good for paintball in general. More choices for the players. Different formats, etc...

Yes it may cost a bit more to shoot 15.4 compared to 12.5 but its really not that much of a difference to justify using 12.5 over 15.4 because of cost.

I also disagree with 15.4 being arachic. 15.4 and xball have been alive and doing very well in cxbl for years now and USPA for the past 2. I also believe that 15.4 and xball are what this sport needs again. Nascar fans dont watch racing to see drivers go around the track for hrs. They came to see crashes. Same goes for paintball. Non playing and playing fans of paintball dont want to see 7,8,10 min points. They want to see players get ripped up. And in my opinion true xball and 15.4 has given the fans more then any other format. I may lean toward xball because I have always loved the format. But I have played them all(minus grid fighters) and xball is by far my choice when it comes to format.
Depew Decepticonz #1 2013 USPA Batavia Novice Div Sectional Champions
Belfast Bombers #01 2012 2nd Place USPA Novice Div
Depew ILLNatured #0 2011 3rd place USPA , Great Lakes Division
My ShEGO project!
"Originally posted by Spitlebug: You are right, my penis simply will not accept anything smaller than 68 caliber. :D"
Team_ILLNatured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:22 PM #55
tvise
USPN Hollister CA

tvise owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tvise posts videos on PbNation
tvise has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
In my opinion about this all is that paintball is an ever changing sport.

Some of it is for the better and some for the worse.

Leagues and rules change with time.

I believe that as long as the economy does not hit rock bottom paintball will survive and prospur.*

Speed ball is still rather big in my thought.

The problem with paintball is that it is a very difficult spectator sport. So things are constantly changing to make it better or for people to be able to relate.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:10 PM #56
Fedo
Who Has More Fun?

Fedo is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_ILLNatured View Post
to support this, I provide this statement from a guy that used to play for LOCKOUT in the old 10 man days
He has some points that I think stand well, but it doesn't change the stance I was making. The complaint that "12.5 is a no skill hope for luck style play" is invalid and wrong. The complaint that the guns do all the work and there is no emphasis on player skill being made is also a fallacy. Though what you posted is also legitimate.

The meat of my post remains the same. The sport is changing every day. For any field owner or industry in this sport you have to evolve and support it all, or you risk being left behind or falling under. We want the sport to grow and I do not see any point to devaluing one format over another. Speedball takes just as much skill as Woodsball. Woodsball as pump. They all require a certain set of skills that need refined to master the art.

Windy City Punishers

Old 11-14-2012, 06:43 PM #57
drgonzo
Half-cocked

Local to me what I have noticed is that the reason if any that airball is declining is because the air fields themselves are difficult to deal with. The bunkers need a good amount of manpower to inflate and position in the mornings and seem to need to be replaced far more regularly than hard bunkers. A hyperball or building-based speedball field needs no setup and little ongoing investment other than maybe occasional cleaning.

Plus those types of fields can support airsoft as well.
drgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:44 PM #58
MaG Adrenal1ne
#PlayforPride

MaG Adrenal1ne is playing at Living Legends VI
MaG Adrenal1ne plays in the APPA D4 division
MaG Adrenal1ne supports DLX Technology
Cost. Plain and simple.
Bored? On Facebook? Come join my group Paintball Gear for Sale!
***ONE OF A KIND G6R***
MaG Adrenal1ne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:47 PM #59
Fedo
Who Has More Fun?

Fedo is an NCPA player
What are they doing to those bunkers? I seen Speedball fields last for years without issues. It comes down to how you take care of your field.

Windy City Punishers

Old 11-14-2012, 07:40 PM #60
tvise
USPN Hollister CA

tvise posts videos on PbNation
tvise has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
What are they doing to those bunkers? I seen Speedball fields last for years without issues. It comes down to how you take care of your field.
In my case it is because of wind, sun, setup and take down.

The wind where I am constantly tugs on the bunkers... So its constantly stressing the bunker.

The sun(Being California) shines bright most all of the weekend that they are up.

The moving, taking down and putting up the field also stresses the bunkers.

Also, People are rough on bunkers.. Especially snake. Think of all the people who land on them.

Even at that they last a few years, but think of it this way. 4k-6k every 4 years is much more than any other type of field... Plus it needs constant attention.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:47 PM #61
Horizon

Quote:
I don't think he said they didn't last. It's just more work for a field. Hard permanent bunkers rarely ever need attention. Inflatable bunkers do. So unles a field has a decent speedball market available to it, many field owners are going to shy away from inflatable bunkers.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:49 PM #62
Soul06

Soul06 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgonzo View Post
...or building-based speedball field...
Building-based speedball? Don't understand what you mean

Old 11-14-2012, 10:43 PM #63
SlamSlayer
NYMP Founder

He means a speedball field where the bunkers are solid. Either literally some buildings set up on a mirror sided field or something like hyper ball with solid objects. I would consider cousins paintball on SI to be like this. ALL of their fields are generally just hard cover in a clearing in the woods.
SlamSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote