PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-05-2012, 06:07 PM #1
rdm3000
Slightly Removed

rdm3000 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
so I want to buy a used car: a how to and why guide??

I've consistently and seriously been looking to purchase a new vehicle for the past 3 months. I've come to the conclusion that there are to many differing opinions out there and being that I am not a car person I dont know how to tell who is right and who is wrong. I have narrowed it down to two types of vehicles that I want. Basically I cannot decide which one and am just going to go with whatever is the best deal. The problem with this is that I dont know what makes a best deal and what makes it a good deal and what deals I should avoid.

Problems I have been coming across and do not know how to deal with:

1. How do I actually buy a used car in the state of ohio? I have tried contacting the DMV and they wont tell me anything besides to bring in the title.

2. How do I know what prices I should be paying based on upgrades and repairs? IE how do I know whether or not the tiny scratch or repaired bumper or lack of power windows affects the price. With buying a used car I have noticed that there seems to be no easy way to evaluate what a particular feature is worth.

3. Should I buy from a dealer, a local dealer, a huge dealer, a small dealer, a national dealer, or from the owner.

4. What are reliable websites to gauge the SELLING prices of used vehicles? I've found a bunch of websites that show the value price but even those websites can have a 1-2k difference on the exact same information.

------ I guess that sums up most of my questions that could be applied to anyone who is looking for a used vehicle and isnt sure what to do.

Questions specific to my situation:

1. I am stuck between buying a wagon or a truck. I need a vehicle that has trunk space large enough to fit antique furniture. I thought I needed a truck but have been borrowing a friends audi wagon and i've been able to fit almost anything in there that I need to. What I am wondering and what I just cant seem to figure out is what are the pros and cons of each.

--i want a vehicle that
-gets 24+ mpg highway and 20+mpg city.
-has AC/heat
-has under 80k miles
-under 6k
-cdplayer/cassete player. dont care which just want a radio
-power locks and windows
-awd
-automatic ( i dont want manual because i dont know if I would like it driving every day)

I've looked at ford rangers, toyota tacomas, ford f 150's, subaru outbacks/forresters/etc.

I dont know what one I really need or what one is better or worse for the options I am needing and wanting.

I am not sure what else I should be looking for or what is extremely important to be looking for.

If someone is willing to seriously answer these questions but doesnt want to because you are to busy I will literally pay you to do it if thats what it is going to take. My current vehicle is just not cutting it anymore and I cannot afford to keep making repairs on it.

follow me on instagram @mrryanmckee

Last edited by rdm3000 : 11-05-2012 at 06:11 PM.
rdm3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2012, 06:26 PM #2
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3541898

I'll answer the general questions to the best of my ability.

1. Usually, you get a bill of sale from the seller, they fill it out and sign it as proof that they're selling you the car, then they sign the title over to you as well. You bring the title and bill of sale down to the DMV, they'll give you your registration, and you call your insurance company and add the car to your plan

2. Subtract money for whatever is not easy and cheap to fix. A little scratch that can be buffed out? Don't hassle the seller too much. The ****ed up trunk that needs to be replaced rather than repaired because it looks like someone dropped a ton of bricks on it? Yeah, knock a few hundred off if it's a cheap car, even more if it's newer or more expensive.

3. From owner with good paperwork is best, IMO, if you're paying cash. Usually easier to get it from a dealership if you're going to be getting a loan for it, I'd imagine, since most of them work closely with banks. Both small and large dealerships do sketchy ****, so beware either way.

4. There's no 100% price. It depends on your area, the seller, the buyer, the car in particular, etc. Selling prices on any car are going to vary a good bit.

2001 Viggen // Stage 1 Oil Injection // Stage 3 Exhaust Leak // Wet Clutch Mod
Supra_MKIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:26 PM #3
10splaya22
I don't play paintball

10splaya22 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
10splaya22 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
10splaya22 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
10splaya22 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Look at Kelley blue book (kbb.com) and nada (nada.com) to determine the general prices the cars go for. You can find a car you are interested in then enter the info in on the websites. See the values they give you and determine if its a good price. Both websites can determine the general value based on if anything is wrong as well.

Even better is to look at tons of listings on craiglist, dealers, autotrader, cars.com, etc to see what people are asking for similar cars and you may even find one you really like.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:26 PM #4
Tempted (Banned)

Do what I do and buy cars from old people.
Tempted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:19 PM #5
Rampager2000
-Voted best Avvy 2011 <3-

As per your requirements, you can find pre-08 WRXs in automatic for cheap. Nobody wants them in enthusiast world so they usually sell for a couple grand lower than others of the same year.

I believe 04 autos can come around 5 or 6k.

OGPT: It's Not Rocket Surgery
Rampager2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:03 PM #6
Tempted (Banned)

They sold slushbox WRX cars? That Subie auto can't hold a non-turbo 2.5 motor, no way would I buy a WRX auto.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:09 PM #7
Rampager2000
-Voted best Avvy 2011 <3-

Hah, the 4AT is actually a kickass transmission that can handle many, many stage 2 launches.

I know quite a few people on OEM tranny up in the 200s and 300s.

OGPT: It's Not Rocket Surgery
Rampager2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:33 PM #8
AntiHeightPunk (Banned)

king ranch or dodge daytona iroc r/t
AntiHeightPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:06 AM #9
Tempted (Banned)

You can't buy either of those in great condition for 5k. You are trollfail.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:11 PM #10
DrobertsPB
You rebel scum

DrobertsPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:56 PM #11
cvm973
Supra owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempted View Post
You can't buy either of those in great condition for 5k. You are trollfail.
Buy 5 fierros

- Roy "The Skipper" Hernandez
Old 11-10-2012, 04:17 PM #12
Tempted (Banned)

Yeah if you buy 5 of them then you might get one that starts each morning.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:10 AM #13
myshofer

i think you go for a subaru from an owner with good paper work.
myshofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:37 AM #14
rdm3000
Slightly Removed

rdm3000 is a Supporting Member
I am seriously considering a subaru baja. I am going to go look at one today. Only thing possibly preventing me buying one is the price. Hopefully I can get a dealer to come down on it as most are listed around 10k

follow me on instagram @mrryanmckee
rdm3000 is offline   Reply With Quote