Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-18-2012, 02:21 PM #43
ThePuget

It is what you make it, I like practicing with my teammates a whole hell of a lot, events are just the icing on the cake.
ThePuget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-19-2012, 03:43 AM #44
Chrismeisterpmc
C-Nasty

Chrismeisterpmc owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Chrismeisterpmc plays in the APPA D4 division
You always come out super - in $ even if you do win. A lot of local tournaments where I live give out ****ty prizes and event paint is very high. For example:

Entry for a 3-man $150 (not bad)
Event Paint per case. $55 plus tax
Prizes:
1st- 3 small trophies + 3 Event masks
2nd- 3 even smaller trophies + 3 Halo Too's
3rd- 3 micro trophies + 3 cases of paint (why would I want paint after a tournament??)

Ok so to win first place and come out even I would pay $50 towards entry and buy a case of paint $55 plus tax to come out close to even for the Events and trophy. Buuuuut I'm playing a tournament with at least 6 teams so I'm definately going to have to buy more paint. Either way you go you lose money hard. People want to come out with good prizes or come out even when they win a tournament, not to win and get butt raped on $.
Chris Hale #19
Chrismeisterpmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:42 AM #45
echo34

i don't understand why people would stop playing because they don't make money from it. surely you play tournaments because its fun?

i think the main reasons people stop playing tournaments are that its expensive for what you get, you only get a few games for a large fee, compared to just playing at the local field where you pay a small fee and play all day.
and it takes a lot of time and effort to organise a team, its alot easier to just go an play.
echo34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:58 AM #46
MonsterMini0724
Kelowna Baller

MonsterMini0724 is for the Gunfight
MonsterMini0724 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
i still play once and a while, but life and work get in the way most of the time.

Last edited by MonsterMini0724 : 09-19-2012 at 10:58 AM. Reason: spelling
MonsterMini0724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:12 PM #47
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

Christian P is playing at Living Legends VI
Christian P is playing at Living Legends VII
Christian P has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Christian P is attending Decay of Nations VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB-1071 View Post
Wayyyyy to many stupid people, you know like you.
Hello pot. Did you meet kettle?
Christian P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:25 PM #48
Shinjiro
Blackass

Annual Supporting Member
Shinjiro is BST Trusted
Shinjiro owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Shinjiro has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Shinjiro has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
A lot of people stop playing out of frustration. They buy the gear and they play against people a lot better than them and get discouraged by not winning. Also some people stop playing because the friends they play with stop playing.

Sometimes people also stop playing due to growing up, going to college, getting married, having kids or having a job that takes priority over paintball.
(not me i'll take getting *****ed at by the wife to play every weekend.)
Shinjiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:37 PM #49
Shinjiro
Blackass

Annual Supporting Member
Shinjiro is BST Trusted
Shinjiro owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Shinjiro has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Shinjiro has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmink View Post
Gun got stolen at an event in our tent.
That is horrible. I have seen people have this problem before at PAP in Maryland. It makes me think about getting that planet eclipse gear bag that you can slide a combination lock through.
Shinjiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:54 PM #50
alexjordan1
@@@Alex@@@

alexjordan1 supports Pev's Paintball
alexjordan1 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
alexjordan1 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
alexjordan1 is attending Decay of Nations VI
Id say its the money. Paintball is really expensive and paying for some immaturity isnt everyones favorite way to spend it.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:49 PM #51
rexisme

Annual Supporting Member
rexisme supports DLX Technology
What do you mean by events? Do you mean 3/5/7 man local events or do you mean "bigger" events
Old 10-08-2012, 08:51 AM #52
Paintballer-pro-55 (Banned)

Paintballer-pro-55 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Too much monwy
Paintballer-pro-55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:24 AM #53
Egos4flifeguy
- FISH - FISH - FISH -

Egos4flifeguy owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Egos4flifeguy is for the Gunfight
Egos4flifeguy is for the Gunfight
Egos4flifeguy has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Egos4flifeguy has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Egos4flifeguy has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Egos4flifeguy supports DLX Technology
I'm going to say they don't have the-

1.) time
2.) money
3.) effort
4.) skill
Egos4flifeguy's Gearbag Sale
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Blue/Black I4s!
Egos4flifeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:42 PM #54
sup'mango
Dallas

sup'mango supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Issate

I call BS. The only way a Honda and good decition go hand in hand is when you sell one! )
Motorcycles brah. Cars though are ****

I don't play because I practice baseball 5 days a week and play on the weekends and when I have a day off I'd rather rest than play paintball and have the chance of twisting an ankle. I'm also playing in college next year so this is the last year I'll probably ever touch a paintball gun.
Also would rather spend the money to take my girlfriend out on a date
sup'mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:55 PM #55
Scrawny_Coleman
PINEAPPLES!

Scrawny_Coleman plays in the APPA beginner division
To be honest paintball is the most amazing stress relief I have. I love this sport. The amount of connections you get from it is amazing. Yeah this sport is expensive but look at every other sport.
Think about it this way if paintball was like football it would still be on espn. If you have teams playing against eachother every Sunday and competeing like football i guarantee all the big name companies would sponsor them like NFL , NBA and so on. its just people are thinking if they pick up a 1500 dollar guys they are automatically gonna be good at it. Wrong answer. Practice is what people need to start doing. Make an impression on the society.

We also need to branch out advertisement to the world and stop focusing on teens. Youtube is great, facebook is great, but think about it most of the population is spending their time on the roads. Hit up bilboards, radio stations, tv station.
FOR GOD SAKES Some of these youtube videos I seen are sick as **** and if they made a 30 sec commercial It would grab peoples attentions.
What we really honestly need to do is sit down with the owner of NPPL and have them talk to big companies like Budweiser, Godaddy, and Ford etc... and see if they can sponsor some events. Get sponsors that deal more towards our type of people.
Paintball is some much more exciting than most the sports out there.
I still have faith in this sport and I will forever support it.
Scrawny_Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:17 AM #56
ToiletSiphon

has been a member for 10 years
For me: money. This sport is ridiculously expensive compared to everything else. It's also hard to find enough dedicated players. I had the best years of my life when I was a paintball player and have amazing memories of tournaments, but "real life" caught up with me after college. I need that money for a new house and to pay for my wedding. Now I prefer to play golf on weekends and it's more "socially acceptable" when you are 30.

I also had a pretty nasty injury. Tore my ACL making a quick cut during a speedball match. I now have to wear a brace while playing sports, which prevents me from kneeling down. My right elbow is also screwed up. So I can't kneel and I can't dive, and playing back seems boring as hell.
ToiletSiphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:49 AM #57
steve_81
Paintballing since 1996

steve_81 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
The money wasn't to much of a concern for me. What got me to quit playing tournaments was the fact that people are unreliable. I would Get up extra early to get ready for a tournament, get everything packed in my vehicle and head over to a teammates house only to find nobody ready or teammates just waking up when they knew about the event for months. We would never leave at the designated time we all agreed on.

The straw that broke the camels back for me was the last event I went to. I left for the field at 6 am for a 2 hour drive. got there only to find out a teammate (former teammate now) was playing for another team without even telling us and then denying that he was ever on our team. He was telling this new team one thing and us another apparently for awhile. I was so close to bashing his teeth in. I was so pissed off I just left so i didn't go to jail and drove the 2 hours back home.

That's why I don't play tournaments anymore...

Last edited by steve_81 : 10-21-2012 at 10:17 AM.
steve_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:18 PM #58
ih8ipods
Way diffrent in real life

Ever since This online gaming thing came out we lost alot of good players to that garbage, Why would you get physically acivity and maybe learn a skill when you could smoke pot and play call of duty all weekend?

PLEASE STOP USING DUBSTEP IN ANY AND ALL PAINTBALL VIDEOS CAUSE REALLY ITS JUST HARD TO WATCH WITH THAT UNINTELLIGIBLE GARBAGE PLAYING.

On average NPPL and semi players can satisfy their girlfriends and wives much better than PSP and ramping players :)
ih8ipods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:26 AM #59
nightkast1111
Give All Take Lives

nightkast1111 supports Team VICIOUS
nightkast1111 supports Team VICIOUS
nightkast1111 supports DLX Technology
Ok, here goes ....

Personally I have played at every level of paintball (minus PSP or NPPL PRO) and the reoccouring theme that I find for people quitting this great sport is simply ... LIFE... Life happens to all of us, it's easy for us to take work off when we're young. I remember when I played my first major tournament. It was the 2004 IAO (if anybody here remembers what that was haha). I took a week off work at my crappy grocery store job to prepare accommodations play and hopefully celebrate after our first tournament showing. I saved hundreds of dollars over weeks and weeks to play that tournament and I never gave it a passing glance. Our team had the best time of our lives and then we were hooked from there on out. From there over our teen years our team stayed together and began playing PSP and NPPL tournaments with success, with the success sponsors came, with the sponsors it became easier to make tournaments happen, after all when it doesnt cost much to go to a tournament who cares about the money you lost not working. We all still lived at home with our parents and had no real responsibilities other than our crappy jobs and school. That lasted for the best years of my paintball life. Then in an instant, it seems as though things just fell apart. Members of the team who had always been there were leaving and going to college, didnt have a penny to spare, or a vehicle to make practices. They sold their gear and moved on with their adult lives outside of paintball. Some of us hung around and continued playing but it seemed like every year we'd lose more players, and the players we would replace them with would seem younger and younger (more than likely because we were getting older)

Now you get to where we are now. At this point, other than myself there is only 1 other original member still playing. I am proud to say that to this day we still play together and have never went our seperate ways and joined different teams. We've moved away from PSP and NPPL tournaments because there just isn't enough time to make a full season of events anymore. Money gets tight, careers became more important, and families start to take importance over personal agendas. These are factors that all players have to deal with, even PRO players. Yes, some get lucky and have an industry job that lets them take time off for the events that their respective employer sponsors anyway, and thats just fine. Most players however, dont that this option or convenience.

These days I do still compete in competition paintball. I play in the USPA league (which is a pretty good bang for your buck). Its FULL XBALL matches for a very affordable price. They have recognized that most players cannot take mass amounts of time off so they have broken down the matches to regional season ( 2 matches a weekend, one weekend a month for 4 months) followed by "national finals" at the end of the year. (similar to the old AXBL, but better in my opinion) The USPA keeps paint prices extremely reasonable for a tournament series of its caliber. These are all reasons I am still able to compete at a high level.

To summarize:

LIFE GETS IN THE WAY
MAJOR TOURNAMENTS GIVE NO INCENTIVE TO DIVISIONAL PLAYER
oh ya ... and LIFE GETS IN THE WAY

BAD COMPANY FAN CLUB #45
nightkast1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:45 AM #60
VESIUS

VESIUS owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
VESIUS has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
VESIUS has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
VESIUS has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
You have more of a legit game playing noobs and walkons then you do some of these "pros" at these tournys.. Pretty sad.. And then on top of that you have people arguing and acting like babies.
VESIUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:21 PM #61
brienpeppers

brienpeppers owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrawny_Coleman
To be honest paintball is the most amazing stress relief I have. I love this sport. The amount of connections you get from it is amazing. Yeah this sport is expensive but look at every other sport.
Think about it this way if paintball was like football it would still be on espn. If you have teams playing against eachother every Sunday and competeing like football i guarantee all the big name companies would sponsor them like NFL , NBA and so on. its just people are thinking if they pick up a 1500 dollar guys they are automatically gonna be good at it. Wrong answer. Practice is what people need to start doing. Make an impression on the society.

We also need to branch out advertisement to the world and stop focusing on teens. Youtube is great, facebook is great, but think about it most of the population is spending their time on the roads. Hit up bilboards, radio stations, tv station.
FOR GOD SAKES Some of these youtube videos I seen are sick as **** and if they made a 30 sec commercial It would grab peoples attentions.
What we really honestly need to do is sit down with the owner of NPPL and have them talk to big companies like Budweiser, Godaddy, and Ford etc... and see if they can sponsor some events. Get sponsors that deal more towards our type of people.
Paintball is some much more exciting than most the sports out there.
I still have faith in this sport and I will forever support it.
Bud Light sponsored at least one PSP event this year. I thought that was one good step towards what you are saying. Also I agree that some of these videos that people make for just YouTube and their Facebook pages could really stimulate the sport if companies have the money and ARE WILLING to put them on national television. However I don't think that will happen any time soon. I just can't believe that most of the companies would do that to progress the sport rather than just their own interests

"In Soviet Russia bunker hides behind you."
brienpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:26 AM #62
fox5100

Annual Supporting Member
fox5100 plays in the PSP
fox5100 supports Cereal Killerz 2
fox5100 is playing at Living Legends III
fox5100 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
fox5100 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Most of the time its money and time vs what you get in return, most teams i have seen that dont do well at there first event just give up. Its alot of time and money to get ready for a event.
Team Method #16
Owner of Paintball Event Calendar.com
http://www.paintballec.com
http://www.paintballeventcalendar.com
fox5100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:55 PM #63
EmpireEmperor

EmpireEmperor is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
EmpireEmperor is Legendary
It's been strictly a lack of cash for me. I still love the game and love the tournament atmosphere as much today as I did when I first started playing, but I haven't been able to participate in an event in over two years for financial reasons.
EmpireEmperor is offline   Reply With Quote