PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-09-2012, 08:08 AM #1
scienceguy

has been a member for 10 years
Faith healing

I asked an off topic question about this in another thread and got an interesting response. The concept fascinates me.

For any faith healers out there, i'm interested in the logic. I'm wondering where human healing ends and God's healing begins for you? Is basic first aid necessary or would God have closed a stitched wound anyway? Does god work through doctors and antibiotics? Is God's healing only reserved for those with terminal cancer? Stuff along those lines and/or personal stories etc.

I promise I won't judge, though others might.
scienceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:21 AM #2
Spock
Live Long and Bluster

Spock is a founding member
If God intended for you to be healed, he wouldn't give you cancer in the first place.

Originally posted by matt00iconoclast:
"there are variables outside of physics that will affect the flight of the ball"
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:55 PM #3
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
Treghc is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
If God intended for you to be healed, he wouldn't give you cancer in the first place.
Unless he wanted to test your faith.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Treghc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:05 PM #4
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treghc View Post
Unless he wanted to test your faith.
thats why he created women.
Iamamartianchurch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:02 PM #5
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

^

dawt.

scienceguy it comes down to the underlying theology of the faith healing movement (which I stay well away from, fyi). They do believe God works through regular doctors etc. but they believe that if everyone had enough faith then all sickness would end and doctors would all need redundancy payouts. So for the most part they roll with regular medicine, but for certain things believe that the more faith they have the more likely something is to be healed. Hence the dramatic yelling and hallelujahs and cheesy music, all of which helps people get into an emotional state where they can have stronger belief.

Of course in practice it doesn't work quite as well as it says on the tin. It's mostly based on observations of the placebo effect, which reduces or removes pain and can even facilitate (some) healing based on the extent to which the subject believes in the placebo. Since most folks aren't overly familiar with the effect they'll tend to interpret a reduction in pain they believed was coming as a miracle. This is why in a sense it does work, just isn't all that miraculous and isn't about to regrow any arms.

Bear in mind however that the faith healing movement (often referred to as word-faith or third-wave in the biz) is very different to the question of whether God can or does heal in response to prayer etc. - most Christians believe that God can/does sometimes, but that this isn't at all conditional on the faith level of the person, nor is it on tap and effectively guaranteed (with enough faith) as the WF people would say it is.

Last edited by vijil : 11-09-2012 at 11:15 PM.
vijil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:04 PM #6
ProtoBaller1991
The Grippiest Grip

ProtoBaller1991 donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
thats why he created women.
/thread

I do tv show things

ProtoBaller1991 is offline   Reply With Quote