Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 02:18 PM #1
rocktheweak520
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
What do you think would take paintball to the next level?

Its no secret that paintball has more or less hit a certain barrier in regards to popularity. Sure, anyone who plays knows just how fun it is, and its a great sport to watch when you know whats going on. However, for people who dont know what paintball is, or how its played, its extremely boring and anticlimactic to watch.
In my opinion, many sports are based upon a central point of focus. For basketball, the action is based around the ball, same with football. The audience knows where to look. With paintball, if you just keep your eyes on the center flag you will miss all the action.

What changes do you think the sport needs to make in order to grow and reach a widespread audience? Format changes? Endorsements? Etc.
rocktheweak520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-07-2012, 02:35 PM #2
pbstar1792
SevenHundredThirtyFour
 
pbstar1792's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Gaza Strip
pbstar1792 plays in the PSP
pbstar1792 plays in the APPA D3 division
money.
__________________
TCP Wrecking Machine
KEE
Evil
pbstar1792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:40 PM #3
Dhops187
 
 
Dhops187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Paintball needs to get back on tv like when they had the NPPL Miami event, the 3 man indoor jaunt, or the smart parts event! I put that on everything
__________________
R.I.P T O W L I EEEEE
WHO ARE THE 5 BEST RAPPERS ALIVE!?
DI LON
DYE LON
DYLAN
DILLON
AND
DYLON
Dhops187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:45 PM #4
eternalmergy
The Hindu Hammer
 
eternalmergy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: americas wang
eternalmergy is a Paintball photographer
eternalmergy plays in the PSP
eternalmergy donated to help Peyton Trent
eternalmergy posts videos on PbNation
eternalmergy is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
eternalmergy is Boss
one unified league. simple as that.
then find a way to get this on tv like ncpa. this live webcast is awesome(the PBA one for PSP)
that is all.
I believe that once theres a unified league you can actually focus on moving forward.
these different formats are hindering the growth.
but im not getting my hopes up.
__________________
Redline
RIP Opie.
RIP Odin.

Central Florida Paintball


>Redline Media<
eternalmergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:25 PM #5
saints11
 
saints11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
saints11 plays in the PSP
saints11 supports Cereal Killerz 2
saints11 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
saints11 plays in the APPA D2 division
^^^^ and money..
__________________
ASYLUM



PG RISE>PG UNITED>PG RISE
saints11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:38 PM #6
swanton23
ASCENSION
 
swanton23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: ohio
swanton23 is BST Trusted
swanton23 plays in the PSP
swanton23 plays in the APPA D4 division
swanton23 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
well it would get bigger in d4 race 2 if they gave good money prizes out other than free entry. it would help more teams want to compete making the sport bigger and better
__________________
PROUDLY SPONSORED BY WWW.TRADEMYGUN.COM

ASCENSION
swanton23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:53 PM #7
ombres13
 
 
ombres13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N.Carolina
ombres13 plays in the PSP
ombres13 supports our troops
ombres13 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanton23 View Post
well it would get bigger in d4 race 2 if they gave good money prizes out other than free entry. it would help more teams want to compete making the sport bigger and better
Why would they give money?
1) It costs more.
2) It does not promote repeat business.

1) Giving money costs more than giving away field time.
2) Giving money only appeals to teams who do not plan to continue to play the series. Why would they cater to teams who only want to play one event as apposed to teams who plan to give repeat business?

Also.. there were 71 teams in D4 5man at Cup.

edit:

I've been seeing a lot of local series giving amazing prizes for D4. PE guns, Empire guns, cases on cases on cases of paint, masks and soft gear..
Believe it or not, PSP probably does not want its lower divisions to become any more popular. PSP would need to put more money and time in if it grew much larger, they would need to ensure their venues could handle the extra fields and people (I'd say most of the venues they're using at the moment can not handle significantly more). 4 day events can only get through so many games as well. Turn them into 5 day events and you see a drop in players capable of playing said events.

PSP surely wants growth.. but I'm not sure it wants (or rather, is currently ready for) drastic growth.

Last edited by ombres13 : 11-07-2012 at 06:05 PM.
ombres13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:53 PM #8
raehl
NCPA President
 
raehl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Chippewa Falls, WI
Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanton23 View Post
well it would get bigger in d4 race 2 if they gave good money prizes out other than free entry. it would help more teams want to compete making the sport bigger and better
Yeap, football, baseball, basketball, soccer, all those sports are being devastated by the lack of prize packages for peewee, junior high and high school teams.

Prizes would reward a tiny handful of teams while making it more expensive for everyone else to compete, making the sport smaller and smaller.

There's a reason the leagues that have been cutting prizes in the lower divisions over the past few years are the ones who are getting the most teams competing.

Remember, small or no lower-division prizes doesn't mean you can't compete for prizes, it just means D4 teams don't have to play against other teams trying to win prizes. Makes it more fun for them, which means more of them keep playing.

If you don't want to play unless there are prizes on the line, that's what D3 (local) and D2 and up (national) are for. If you can't win prizes in those divisions, well, practice more. They're called PRIZES (not handouts) for a reason.

- Chris
__________________
Check Out Paintball on TV!

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org

Last edited by raehl : 11-07-2012 at 05:55 PM.
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:29 PM #9
koolguysk8r14
 
 
koolguysk8r14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: USA
 has been a member for 10 years
koolguysk8r14 plays in the PSP
koolguysk8r14 is an NCPA player
koolguysk8r14 plays in the APPA D2 division
i think the biggest way to grow the sport is for the current players to be more proactive about getting new players on the field. How many friends do you have or kids you go to school with whether high school or college who have never stepped foot on a speedball field before? If each person got 1 new person next year hooked on speedball, we'd explode with growth.

No matter how much i love paintball, i'll be the first to admit its a pretty boring sport to watch. at least live. Highlight reals are always fun, but a typical match is boring. i'm not sure this sport will ever have a huge future, esp nothing that involves huge fan followings like other professional sports. its just doomed to start with. But why can't people be content with an exciting hobby type sport? Could you imagine how fun 600 teams at world cup would be? A giant vendor area, activities in the vendor area to mess around with. who knows.
koolguysk8r14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:22 PM #10
rocktheweak520
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Many people keep saying it needs more money. Unfortunately, money doesn't just come out of the blue. There needs to be a reason to put money into the sport. What changes could possibly bring in more revenue? I dont agree that better prizes are the answer. I think it also has to do with normalizing the sport, many people have no idea what competitive paintball is.
rocktheweak520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:27 AM #11
GundogHitman
JUSTICE
 
GundogHitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Durham, N.C.
GundogHitman plays in the PSP
GundogHitman owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
GundogHitman plays in the APPA D4 division
Paintball will never be football. It will never be soccer. Paintball is like golf... fun to play, boring to watch. The sooner we can accept that, the better off this sport will be. It's a great sport for competition or recreation. It will never be cheap, never be mainstream, but will always have a cult like following. Respect the game for what it is and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. My .02
GundogHitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:44 AM #12
skwirnmn
Chris Loh
 
skwirnmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
skwirnmn has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbstar1792 View Post
money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saints11 View Post
^^^^ and money..
... and more money

edit: Pardon my pessimism, if you care to call it that.. but why do we want paintball to get bigger anyways? I play paintball because I like to run around, shoot paint at people, get shot by people, travel with friends ect.. If it gets big and goes mainstream, which I don't think it will, will we stop running around, stop shooting paint at people, stop getting shot by people, and stop traveling with friends? Paintball is going to be the same regardless of whether it's big or small. Paintballs will always travel at 300 fps, you're always going to have an opponent that you're trying to shoot while they're trying to shoot you. Paintball is paintball, doesn't matter to me whether it's all over TV and everyone at your highschool/college/work place plays the sport. Just like any sport, there are a boat load of kids who dream about playing professionally, and very few of them ever make it there. So to be completely honest, why not keep it small and focus our efforts on enjoying the game while we're young rather than trying to get it televised and have it become a highschool sport.

Last edited by skwirnmn : 11-08-2012 at 05:55 AM.
skwirnmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:23 AM #13
El Jefe GIP
#wonworldcup
 
El Jefe GIP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Houston, Tx
El Jefe GIP plays in the PSP
El Jefe GIP plays in the APPA D4 division
I believe it is moving back to the next level. We've been here before, and it will grow bigger than before, it's cyclical. What the player can do: Always bring 1 person to the field w/ you that had never played before. Don't be a "D*ck" on the field to the Newbies. Stay professional. LIFT got beat at Cup, and they were dropping F bombs loud! I could see the crowd reacting, by grabbing their little ones and walking off. If I was PSP I wouldn't want them back. I dont tolerate at my field. We must be ambassadors of the sport, not just players.
__________________
www.CombatHouston.com
El Jefe GIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:36 AM #14
CreightonBaller
JFSF - Omaha VICIOUS
 
CreightonBaller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Starbucks WIFI
Annual Supporting Member
CreightonBaller is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
CreightonBaller supports Team VICIOUS
CreightonBaller supports Team VICIOUS
CreightonBaller supports Team VICIOUS
CreightonBaller is All In
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jefe GIP View Post
I believe it is moving back to the next level. We've been here before, and it will grow bigger than before, it's cyclical. What the player can do: Always bring 1 person to the field w/ you that had never played before. Don't be a "D*ck" on the field to the Newbies. Stay professional. LIFT got beat at Cup, and they were dropping F bombs loud! I could see the crowd reacting, by grabbing their little ones and walking off. If I was PSP I wouldn't want them back. I dont tolerate at my field. We must be ambassadors of the sport, not just players.

is there a like button around here? This man hit the nail right on the head
__________________



Empire * DSSP8ntball.com * Axe * SuperFreak * eFlex * EVIL * Mad Cow Paintball *

Omaha Vicious - DSSP8ntball.com - Fluffy Bunnies - Farside
CreightonBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:40 AM #15
ProtoBaller1991
Come to VLN my child
 
ProtoBaller1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicago
ProtoBaller1991 donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by skwirnmn View Post
... and more money

edit: Pardon my pessimism, if you care to call it that.. but why do we want paintball to get bigger anyways? I play paintball because I like to run around, shoot paint at people, get shot by people, travel with friends ect.. If it gets big and goes mainstream, which I don't think it will, will we stop running around, stop shooting paint at people, stop getting shot by people, and stop traveling with friends? Paintball is going to be the same regardless of whether it's big or small. Paintballs will always travel at 300 fps, you're always going to have an opponent that you're trying to shoot while they're trying to shoot you. Paintball is paintball, doesn't matter to me whether it's all over TV and everyone at your highschool/college/work place plays the sport. Just like any sport, there are a boat load of kids who dream about playing professionally, and very few of them ever make it there. So to be completely honest, why not keep it small and focus our efforts on enjoying the game while we're young rather than trying to get it televised and have it become a highschool sport.

if it's more mainstream it could lower costs. Which is why I can't afford to play right now.




money

/thread
__________________
OG-Seven Deadly Sins
I do tv show things
320gb External Hard Drive F/S


Instagram
ProtoBaller1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:47 AM #16
Traci
 
 
Traci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Florida
Traci plays in the PSP
Traci plays in the APPA D4 division
Traci has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Of course money, but bringing new people in and getting them addicted(lol).

Also, current field improvements, and MORE fields since there have been a lot of fields closing down the past few years.
Traci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:44 PM #17
The Wigglestick
I'm ya huckleberry...
 
The Wigglestick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Va Beach
The Wigglestick plays in the PSP
The Wigglestick owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
The Wigglestick posts videos on PbNation
The Wigglestick plays in the APPA D4 division
mow the grass at cup before they set up the fields. worst field conditions i've played on. the grass looked like it was 8 inches tall.

everything about cup was great apart from that.

you also have to remember, as fun as we think it is, there are lots of people who tried paintball and didn't like it. lots of people i know. so you have to take into account that a certain percentage of the population just doesn't want to play or even try it. we are a niche sport, regardless of the fact that i think everyone on earth should play.

and its cost prohibitive. make paintballs $10 a case for wholesalers and $20 a case for the consumer and you've got a recipe for success. i know people who are interested until they find out how much it is.
__________________
The Wigglestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:34 PM #18
Andocommando
Honey Badger don't care
 
Andocommando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: ARkansas
 has been a member for 10 years
Andocommando plays in the PSP
Andocommando posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wigglestick View Post
mow the grass at cup before they set up the fields. worst field conditions i've played on. the grass looked like it was 8 inches tall.

everything about cup was great apart from that.

you also have to remember, as fun as we think it is, there are lots of people who tried paintball and didn't like it. lots of people i know. so you have to take into account that a certain percentage of the population just doesn't want to play or even try it. we are a niche sport, regardless of the fact that i think everyone on earth should play.

and its cost prohibitive. make paintballs $10 a case for wholesalers and $20 a case for the consumer and you've got a recipe for success. i know people who are interested until they find out how much it is.
lol wow. at your whole post.
__________________
POINT BLANK
PAINTBALL ARKANSAS
VALKEN SPORTS

www.facebook.com/paintballarkansas
Andocommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:04 PM #19
Snpr13
Ur Mom
 
Snpr13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: corning ny
Snpr13 is playing at Living Legends VI
Snpr13 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I think a lot is cost. You'll see an improvement when the economy gets better. I know a lot of guys who've had to sell the equipment for bills and such. Plus you don't see as much younger kids working and there parents won't shell out the cash. I've always bought my own gear since I was 12 and started playing. And the ecomony has screwed over Fields. The only field I know of with in a half hour is pretty junky.
__________________
Wait until paintball gets unsportsman like conduct for wins. Were all effed. But I'm so going out with my shclong out.
Snpr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:00 PM #20
Reject69
 
 
Reject69's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Reject69 plays in the PSP
Reject69 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Reject69 is an NCPA player
Reject69 plays in the APPA D3 division
Just my .02 but at cup I found it very hard to believe the lack of advertising for the event. There were no billboards, commercials, no way of knowing that it was going on unless you were there specifically for that reason. If we want to grow the sport we need to get people who are currently not playing or even don't know what tournament paintball is to come to these national events. Keeping the same people we have in the sport now will only cause a money shift that will never change we need new players and sponsors. This doesn't mean putting paintball on tv it just means advertising events more efficiently
__________________
Trouble in Paradise

Purdue PB Club
07' Ego
Reject69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:18 PM #21
hscpaintballa
 
 
hscpaintballa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Richmond, VA
Annual Supporting Member
hscpaintballa plays in the PSP
hscpaintballa supports Team VICIOUS
hscpaintballa plays in the APPA D3 division
hscpaintballa supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reject69 View Post
Just my .02 but at cup I found it very hard to believe the lack of advertising for the event. There were no billboards, commercials, no way of knowing that it was going on unless you were there specifically for that reason. If we want to grow the sport we need to get people who are currently not playing or even don't know what tournament paintball is to come to these national events. Keeping the same people we have in the sport now will only cause a money shift that will never change we need new players and sponsors. This doesn't mean putting paintball on tv it just means advertising events more efficiently
This is actually a good point... At least some type of local advertising the week or two before the events to try to get people interested
__________________
Richmond Rage

KPS PAINTBALL
hscpaintballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump