o5pr3y
Watch out for Snakes!!

Annual Supporting Member
o5pr3y plays in the PSP
o5pr3y plays in the APPA D4 division
o5pr3y has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
o5pr3y is Legendary
o5pr3y is Boss
Worst refs I've seen were either the ones that left their friends run down a kid, or even play on for a bit before calling them.

The worst I've seen recently was during a scrim against a local team (their home team to be exact), and I shot their snake player off break. The ref grabbed myself and another and said I was playing on. I had just gotten clipped in the pack apparently.

The next point one of their players ran to snake and got hit in the pack 4-5 times. The ref watchedit happen, continued to sit by, and eventually pulled him after he eliminated 2 players. Saying it wasn't obvious (which is true, but you tend to feel 5 hits) and didn't give them a penalty.

NORCAL CLASSIC#09
ANSgear / Zephyr / 31st Outfitters / Cutting Edge Paintball Shop / Santa Clara Paintball / American Paintball Park

Dangerous Power Rev-I // Angel Speed 05 FST // Both with extras!
Box O' Timmy parts!
"To kill for yourself is Murder, to kill for your country is Heroic, to kill for entertainment is Harmless"
o5pr3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-02-2012, 04:10 PM #23
liquidfiretibby

Annual Supporting Member
liquidfiretibby is BST Legit
liquidfiretibby plays in the PSP
liquidfiretibby owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
liquidfiretibby posts videos on PbNation
liquidfiretibby plays in the APPA D4 division
liquidfiretibby has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
here my problem with lazy refs that obviously dont wanna be there.....you decided to take the job, now do it right! no on is forcing these kids (most refs ive run into are under 20, and the worst offenders are under 18) to work there. it was your decision. if you dont wanna ref paintball, find a new job. if you want to continue working there, do your damn job. do paintchecks, enforce safety rules, enforce game rules consistently for BOTH SIDES!

I hate seeing refs "ref" a game while standing in the same spot against the netting the entire game. you cant see **** from there. stop being lazy!

As a ref, you know you will be shot. its part of the job. hell, if you're doing your job right you'll prob get shot more than most of the players. again, if you dont wanna get shot, find another job!

ive had too many bad and horrible refs to try to write any specific stories.

United
liquidfiretibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:36 PM #24
Elo160

Elo160 supports Team VICIOUS
Elo160 supports Team VICIOUS
Elo160 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Some of the refs chastise me when i do their job for them. They tell me I'm being a horrible ref while they watch me do THEIR job. Its ridiculous.

"Originally posted by "0102030405: Are you a ninja on vacation?"
Elo160 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:49 PM #25
HeatedNubbycake
^^^Gamertag^^^

HeatedNubbycake plays in the PSP
HeatedNubbycake supports Team VICIOUS
HeatedNubbycake supports Pev's Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidfiretibby View Post
here my problem with lazy refs that obviously dont wanna be there.....you decided to take the job, now do it right! no on is forcing these kids (most refs ive run into are under 20, and the worst offenders are under 18) to work there. it was your decision. if you dont wanna ref paintball, find a new job. if you want to continue working there, do your damn job. do paintchecks, enforce safety rules, enforce game rules consistently for BOTH SIDES!

I hate seeing refs "ref" a game while standing in the same spot against the netting the entire game. you cant see **** from there. stop being lazy!

As a ref, you know you will be shot. its part of the job. hell, if you're doing your job right you'll prob get shot more than most of the players. again, if you dont wanna get shot, find another job!

ive had too many bad and horrible refs to try to write any specific stories.
i agree, as a player/ref, it bugs the hell out of me to see the other refs stand and do nothing. and it pisses me off even more when the safety rules arent enforced. are there days i would much rather play then ref and i really dont feel like doing anything? of course, but i have no choice cause im an employee so id rather enjoy it as much as i can then stand on the sideline and watch a boring game. i find it very fun to go sprinting in and sliding into a bunker to check someone and trying not to get shot while doing it. if i get shot big deal its part of the job. reffing isnt all that bad if you just get yourself into the game, its actually pretty fun and helps your speed dodging and sliding lol. just seems like way too many people dont care about it enough to try hard. Its a little counter intuitive, but its especially crucial to be a good ref for walk ons who are new, get them into the game on the right foot.

The only urine sample your getting from me is a taste test.

Last edited by HeatedNubbycake : 11-02-2012 at 08:51 PM.
HeatedNubbycake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:26 PM #26
liquidfiretibby

Annual Supporting Member
liquidfiretibby is BST Legit
liquidfiretibby plays in the PSP
liquidfiretibby owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
liquidfiretibby posts videos on PbNation
liquidfiretibby plays in the APPA D4 division
liquidfiretibby has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
i have to say there is one local field that is notorious for giving good safety briefings, but then once the players are on the field, the refs ignore all the safety rules. let the kids lift maskes etc.. they are told at the beginning of the day, lift the mask once, your done for the day. ive never seen anyone kicked out or even reprimanded for lifting a mask on field. but, they give us **** for not having our masks down in a safe area while walking to the airball field.

United
liquidfiretibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:41 PM #27
mexi ca40k
Pump Playa

mexi ca40k is playing at Living Legends V
mexi ca40k is for the Gunfight
mexi ca40k supports Pev's Paintball
mexi ca40k has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
mexi ca40k has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
mexi ca40k is attending Decay of Nations VI
I had one really terrible ref experience, the ref didn't even know what a paint check meant. I was contacted by the field owner and he informed me that all the good refs had left for school, so basically they took what they could get. The field I usually play at though has excellent refs.
mexi ca40k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:33 PM #28
Nickdennis

Nickdennis owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Nickdennis is for the Gunfight
Nickdennis supports Pev's Paintball
Nickdennis has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I hate bad refs, i'm a ref myself and i have been told i am good because of the different games i run and for the fact that i have no problem running through ropes of paint to do a paint check, but i have worked with god awful refs that should just quit...it drives me crazy!
Old 11-06-2012, 03:39 PM #29
Zippin35

Zippin35 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Zippin35 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 is attending Decay of Nations VI
The thing to keep in mind is that most of the refs we are describing here get paid minimum wage or below. They make nothing and to make nothing, they give up time when they could play paintball. So to demand that they run through your streams of paint to do a paint check is a bit far-fetched. IMO if you are not a tourney ref, you are there to enforce safety. I send games of 100+ people out and you bet your *** I will not be able to see every visible hit, nor will I be able to do every paint check. I will keep your *** safe, and I will make sure we are having a good time. As hard as it is to be the one paying and feeling neglected, it is also important to be aware of the crap that refs do go through for the abysmal pay that they receive. Tourney refs are another story but rec play refs are there to keep people safe. Guess what, if you can pick that noob off behind the fence bunker with his rental one time, then you can do it again!

ps.....tip jar? What is this madness?
New England Crusade #35
Bored? On Facebook? Come join my group Paintball Gear for Sale!
Zippin35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:56 PM #30
Sand6452
Lainway Sports Rep

Annual Supporting Member
Sand6452 plays in the PSP
Sand6452 supports Bob Gurnsey
Sand6452 is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippin35 View Post
The thing to keep in mind is that most of the refs we are describing here get paid minimum wage or below. They make nothing and to make nothing, they give up time when they could play paintball. So to demand that they run through your streams of paint to do a paint check is a bit far-fetched. IMO if you are not a tourney ref, you are there to enforce safety. I send games of 100+ people out and you bet your *** I will not be able to see every visible hit, nor will I be able to do every paint check. I will keep your *** safe, and I will make sure we are having a good time. As hard as it is to be the one paying and feeling neglected, it is also important to be aware of the crap that refs do go through for the abysmal pay that they receive. Tourney refs are another story but rec play refs are there to keep people safe. Guess what, if you can pick that noob off behind the fence bunker with his rental one time, then you can do it again!

ps.....tip jar? What is this madness?
Absolutely could not have been said better

Wilkes University Paintball
Sand6452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:55 PM #31
mexi ca40k
Pump Playa

mexi ca40k is playing at Living Legends V
mexi ca40k supports Pev's Paintball
mexi ca40k has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
mexi ca40k has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
mexi ca40k is attending Decay of Nations VI
To me I dont care if you are getting paid minimum wage or 10k an hour, if people rely on you to maintain a safe enviroment you have to be doing your job right.
mexi ca40k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:08 AM #32
Necrogen98
:D

Necrogen98 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Necrogen98 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Necrogen98 supports Empire
Never understood refs who sit back to avoid getting shot. Hell I get shot more while reffing than as a player.

Ego 9 / DM7 / JOLE Blackout________________Bunker Mafia________________ NotSoLucky
Necrogen98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:17 AM #33
masterofTHUMBS
boom headshot

masterofTHUMBS posts videos on PbNation
masterofTHUMBS is an NCPA player
masterofTHUMBS supports Pev's Paintball
masterofTHUMBS plays in the APPA D5 division
If you don't get shot as a ref, you aren't reffing very well.
masterofTHUMBS is offline   Reply With Quote