Community Focus

Old 10-01-2012, 12:02 PM #1
GameOfEnder
Paintball Ambassador

Annual Supporting Member
GameOfEnder is playing at Living Legends VI
GameOfEnder posts videos on PbNation
GameOfEnder supports DLX Technology

Not to rush whats left of this year but was wondering what next year has in store for us
GameOfEnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-01-2012, 05:30 PM #2
_ZIPPY_

_ZIPPY_ supports Sherwood Forest
I will just assume you didn't attend the final ceremony and inform you that Sherwood Paintball announced that as of now there will be no events for the year 2013. This is due to the declining numbers at the games. If there was some way to guarantee 400+ players for an event, Sherwood might consider having another event. However, unfortunately this is next to impossible to do.

Marnet IT Consulting and Services

www.Paintballer187.com
_ZIPPY_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:30 PM #3
xarsefacex
(.)(.)765(.)(.)

has been a member for 10 years
xarsefacex supports Bob Gurnsey
xarsefacex supports Sherwood Forest
xarsefacex has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I had a blast at the games Sherwood produced in-house, but it was pretty clear that after they stopped doing games with Viper, the numbers dropped.

I think if they used outside promotion and worked at rebuilding the May game (maybe move it so as not to conflict with Living Legends), they could have some success.

Such a great scenario field. Shame to have such an uncertain future.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:16 PM #4
dager
Mega Moderator

dager is a founding member
dager supports Sherwood Forest
The numbers were down to the 200s for the last two seasons with viper as well. Sherwood has moved dates, dropped paint prices, tried multiple promoters. No matter what was done the numbers just wouldn't come up much past 200.

You really cant move the spring game back much earlier due to the weather. Even when it was 4 weeks before LL3 the numbers didn't get past 250

I think decision came with all of the changes made to accommodate requests and suggestions and it had little to no change on numbers. About the only thing that I can see helping the numbers come back up would be to have all of the regional fields schedule with each other. For now its too many fields being greedy and scheduling tons of games and all they are doing is saturating the already shrinking market leaving everyone with less.

Team ESP
dager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:42 PM #5
xarsefacex
(.)(.)765(.)(.)

xarsefacex supports Bob Gurnsey
xarsefacex supports Sherwood Forest
xarsefacex has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by dager View Post
The numbers were down to the 200s for the last two seasons with viper as well. Sherwood has moved dates, dropped paint prices, tried multiple promoters. No matter what was done the numbers just wouldn't come up much past 200.

You really cant move the spring game back much earlier due to the weather. Even when it was 4 weeks before LL3 the numbers didn't get past 250

I think decision came with all of the changes made to accommodate requests and suggestions and it had little to no change on numbers. About the only thing that I can see helping the numbers come back up would be to have all of the regional fields schedule with each other. For now its too many fields being greedy and scheduling tons of games and all they are doing is saturating the already shrinking market leaving everyone with less.
Good info. It's really a shame. Hopefully over time people will realize what they're losing out on by not having scenarios at Joe's Field. It's SO much more fun to play there than at almost any other regional facility.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:03 PM #6
TygerBard

Sherwood Forest is the only field I have played at. I have looked at playing at Blast Camp... I just found that it was so sloppy looking that I did not want to play there(broken glass everywhere). Fort Knox is just a bit in the middle of nowhere, looks rather complicated (too much in too small a space). I love going out to Sherwood Forest. Of course getting into the sport rather recently(three years ago), I am still learning, but Joe's field is close, reasonably priced, and fun to play at.
TygerBard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:46 AM #7
DarkShadowHunter
Screwball, One Each

DarkShadowHunter supports Sherwood Forest
dager, I tend to agree with you about the fact all the fields in the area should get together and figure out their schedules. That is only one part of the problem though.

The other part is the economy. When the economy tanked we went into a depression. (Sure the politicians said it was a recession, but we all know better.) When people lose jobs or encounter reduced hours the luxury items are the first to go. Unfortunately that means paintball in general.

So you have an over saturated market and players going through tough economical times. With most people tightening their belts they won't travel as often as they used to. When they do travel they probably won't go as far as they used to. Of course with the number of events close by players don't have to travel as far either.

Of course I haven't even touched on the life changes that can impact players. When lifestyles change that can also cause players to drop out of the scene. Those who used to attend three or four events a year now find themselves lucky to attend even one a year.

One thing I am curious about is how much advertising is done for the events. Sure I check the web site in December and January to see if the schedule has been posted up. Not everyone will do that. Some players rely only on the forums. Having their own sub forum here helps out I am sure, but that is only one of many. I know some refuse to even pull up PBnation on their browser. They prefer MCB, ******, and various others.

Of course it could just be a cycle and we are on the low side of it. Who knows in five to ten years we could be having 400+ player games again because fewer fields are having games.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:51 AM #8
ne_harisho2

ne_harisho2 supports Sherwood Forest
ne_harisho2 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
For as long as I can remember, Sherwood has leased out the field for Larping and more recently Airsoft. In talking with Joe after the game, it seemed like it was unlikely that Sherwood would put on another game in the near future, unless the game is completely done by someone outside of Sherwood. I am currently working on a plan to possibly try and rent/lease the field out for one weekend late next year. There are many details that need to be looked into that I may not be aware of and at this point is just a slight possibility.

Buttercup
ne_harisho2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:02 PM #9
BRH
Outlanders Paintball team

BRH is playing at Living Legends V
BRH supports Sherwood Forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerBard View Post
Sherwood Forest is the only field I have played at. I have looked at playing at Blast Camp... I just found that it was so sloppy looking that I did not want to play there(broken glass everywhere). Fort Knox is just a bit in the middle of nowhere, looks rather complicated (too much in too small a space). I love going out to Sherwood Forest. Of course getting into the sport rather recently(three years ago), I am still learning, but Joe's field is close, reasonably priced, and fun to play at.
You should try Blast Camp again. Played Red Strike event there in August and it was excellent. New owner has cleaned it up and straightened it all out. Absolutely no broken glass or anything else. It was all good.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:22 PM #10
SPECTRE Fox
PLAY PUMP!

SPECTRE Fox plays in the PSP
SPECTRE Fox is playing at Living Legends III
SPECTRE Fox supports Sherwood Forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by ne_harisho2 View Post
For as long as I can remember, Sherwood has leased out the field for Larping and more recently Airsoft. In talking with Joe after the game, it seemed like it was unlikely that Sherwood would put on another game in the near future, unless the game is completely done by someone outside of Sherwood. I am currently working on a plan to possibly try and rent/lease the field out for one weekend late next year. There are many details that need to be looked into that I may not be aware of and at this point is just a slight possibility.

Buttercup
Let us know if there is anything we can do to help make this happen.

-Randy
SPECTRE
Old 11-04-2012, 06:57 AM #11
Projectile

Buttercup. Let us know. I know SPECTRE and GLR would definetly be interested as well as others. If you can nail down a date early, we can start spreading the word.
Projectile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:24 AM #12
BRH
Outlanders Paintball team

BRH is playing at Living Legends V
BRH supports Sherwood Forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECTRE Fox View Post
Let us know if there is anything we can do to help make this happen.

-Randy
SPECTRE
Buttercup

Keep us informed also, Outlanders will do whatever we can also. There needs to be a scenario at Sherwood next year.

Outlanders Paintball
Old 11-07-2012, 01:14 AM #13
rexisme

Annual Supporting Member
rexisme supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRH View Post
You should try Blast Camp again. Played Red Strike event there in August and it was excellent. New owner has cleaned it up and straightened it all out. Absolutely no broken glass or anything else. It was all good.
This guy knows.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:21 AM #14
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Does the get 200 players on a weekend of rec play?

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:57 PM #15
DarkShadowHunter
Screwball, One Each

DarkShadowHunter supports Sherwood Forest
Haven't been there for a rec day, but I seem to recall them post on facebook saying that they are booked solid or there is no more room in the parking lot during the summer last year.

I have been wanting to check them out for walk-on but just haven't yet.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:52 AM #16
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Well, that may be the problem. Why have a scenario game and shut down your rec field to have 150 guys show up for a weekend of scenario play pay $120 (FEE AND paint) and gross $10000 and turn away 200 rec players on Sat and another 200 players on Sunday paying $60 and gross $24000.

That is what a field owner told me years back why he doesn't do any more scenario games. He only did 2.

I've always traveled to Sherwood. Never played rec ball there. Do they do mini missions or scenario -like paintball during rec play? Most rec players have no clue about scenario play and spend the first couple of games in total confusion about how it works. A field should do mini missions and such to develop the local market to be interested and have fun playing scenario like missions. One up here had a Scenario Training Day once a month. The field tank, bazookas, satchel charges were on the field and basically learning how to work with these special weapons as a team. Basically attack and defend. Attack and hold. etc. If the local rec players weren't interested they could go play rec ball on another area of the field but generally MOST of the local players checked it out. A year later they were sending 30-40 of their local players as a couple of squads to area scenario games as well as STRONG local attendance of their games.

Airsoft has put a big dent in market share for paintball. Less expensive to play. We played rec ball for 10 years or so. Got bored with this field and that field. We knew how to play game from both sides. Traveled to other local area fields just to do something different. Gravitated towards scenario play where we discovered you can play the same game with the same missions year after year and the game winds up NEVER being like one before.

If rec players get bored, they move on to other things. Fast cars, fast girls, Boats, whatever. Local fields NEVER change their fields. Even their speedball air fields are ALWAYS the same. Yes, changing the field cost money but losing your customer base cost you a lot more. Besides. You move ONE bunker 15 feet, it changes how that whole area of field is played. What does that cost ya?

You don't have to......

Last edited by Boom Master : 05-09-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:15 PM #17
payroll
Scenario Event Promoter

Joe is one of the few field owners that is till constantly building on the field, if you havent been to sherwood lately im sure there is a ton of additions to keep you on your toes.
FB: Payroll Productions
www.payrollproductions.com
payroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:15 AM #18
Boom Master
Scenario Player

It is unlikely that I will drive from St. Louis for a weekend of rec ball. A scenario game, you bet I would...

You don't have to......
Old 05-18-2013, 01:02 PM #19
runninman
Outlaw Crew,

I plan to come up from TX to play rec in the next few months, because I like the field so much. I love scenarios, but the field and the people will still make rec fun & worth the trip to me.
runninman is offline   Reply With Quote