Hillbilly DeLUXE

Annual Supporting Member
svmeyer plays in the PSP
svmeyer supports our troops
svmeyer plays in the APPA D4 division
svmeyer is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
svmeyer supports DLX Technology
svmeyer supports Empire
First off, I've never posted here before, do quite a bit of lurking though. I have searched for any threads regarding this and didn't find any, but I could have missed something though, if I did, I apologize.

I have a small field in my backyard, it is pretty much just for me and my teammates, but I'm looking to expand and possibly open to the public. We are currently filling off of scuba tanks, but it's come to the point where it just doesn't cut it.

Now, I'm new to anything compressor related, so I have no knowledge regarding anything about them. But here is what I found:

On Craigslist, I found a Max Air 35 compressor, pictures look to show it in fairly good shape. It has the Honda motor on it, which I would much rather have than electric, it is the same one as found here:

http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-155/...ompressor.html

The guy is asking $2300 OBO, I'm wondering if it is a decent price, or is even worth it. Like I said, I have no knowledge about them, so I'm unaware if the brand is good or not.

Thanks for any help,

-Kyle

Custom Ano'd Luxe F/S/T
WTB Luxe Parts!!
I'm looking for field gear: pods, tanks, bunkers, everything!!!
PMGWC / / Luxe Mob / /BST Elite/ /Shocker Owners/ /Ego Mafia/ /AGG Mafia/ /KGB MOB

Last edited by svmeyer : 11-04-2012 at 08:10 PM.
svmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2012, 04:23 PM #2
bigfootguy2002
Play Paintball Here!

Annual Supporting Member
bigfootguy2002 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
bigfootguy2002 is BST Legit
bigfootguy2002 plays in the PSP
The Max-Air 35 would be a good compressor for you to run backyard games or team practices with. You will need to invest an additional $750 to get the lines, fittings, storage tank, and fill station that you will need to complete the system. For now you could simply spend about $40 on a fill whip that will hook directly on your tank and fill from there. This will be a worthwhile fill and will get you all the way to 4500, however could take a few minutes per fill depending on the pressure in your tank. The bulk tank system will allow for instant fills and you will just fill your bulk tank up before the day you want to play.

I would say offer this guy $2000 for the compressor and see where you are when the dust settles.

-Will

Central Alabama Paintball Park and Tournament Complex
Minor League Paintball (MiLP)
(205) 837-4177
bigfootguy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:04 PM #3
svmeyer
Hillbilly DeLUXE

Annual Supporting Member
svmeyer plays in the PSP
svmeyer supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfootguy2002
The Max-Air 35 would be a good compressor for you to run backyard games or team practices with. You will need to invest an additional $750 to get the lines, fittings, storage tank, and fill station that you will need to complete the system. For now you could simply spend about $40 on a fill whip that will hook directly on your tank and fill from there. This will be a worthwhile fill and will get you all the way to 4500, however could take a few minutes per fill depending on the pressure in your tank. The bulk tank system will allow for instant fills and you will just fill your bulk tank up before the day you want to play.

I would say offer this guy $2000 for the compressor and see where you are when the dust settles.

-Will
Thanks for the help. The guy I was buying my bunkers from had extra bulk tanks available and was willing to sell a few to me.

Would 2 tanks be sufficient?

Now, the fill whip, that would hook directly to our normal bottles, or scuba tanks? Sorry for the newb questions

Custom Ano'd Luxe F/S/T
WTB Luxe Parts!!
PMGWC / / Luxe Mob / /BST Elite/ /Shocker Owners/ /Ego Mafia/ /AGG Mafia/ /KGB MOB
Old 11-05-2012, 05:12 PM #4
bigfootguy2002
Play Paintball Here!

Annual Supporting Member
bigfootguy2002 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
bigfootguy2002 is BST Legit
bigfootguy2002 plays in the PSP
2 tanks would be OK, but that compressor is designed more for one, but many people run two.
If you are wanting to buy the tanks, lines, and fittings, you will also need a push button fill station, they start at about $350. There is a not so friendly version of a fill whip that will run you about $100 in parts.
-Will
-Will

Central Alabama Paintball Park and Tournament Complex
Minor League Paintball (MiLP)
(205) 837-4177
bigfootguy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:26 PM #5
Reddawg

If you go electric you need either 110 volt or 220 volt (like a electric dryer) or 3 phase (which I doubt you house has) the size Max 35 should handle a small field about the same I ran mine on for years I had a Bauer. I had 3 bulk tanks. When you do a hose set up make sure you can isolate a tank to fill off the compressor while 2 are being used. This way you have a fresh tank to bring back on line. I never let my tanks get lower than 3000 before refilling. Don't forget insurance and permits and all the other things that go with a business. Also good luck
Reddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:48 PM #6
svmeyer
Hillbilly DeLUXE

Annual Supporting Member
svmeyer plays in the PSP
svmeyer supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfootguy2002
2 tanks would be OK, but that compressor is designed more for one, but many people run two.
If you are wanting to buy the tanks, lines, and fittings, you will also need a push button fill station, they start at about $350. There is a not so friendly version of a fill whip that will run you about $100 in parts.
-Will
-Will
Thanks for the help
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddawg
If you go electric you need either 110 volt or 220 volt (like a electric dryer) or 3 phase (which I doubt you house has) the size Max 35 should handle a small field about the same I ran mine on for years I had a Bauer. I had 3 bulk tanks. When you do a hose set up make sure you can isolate a tank to fill off the compressor while 2 are being used. This way you have a fresh tank to bring back on line. I never let my tanks get lower than 3000 before refilling. Don't forget insurance and permits and all the other things that go with a business. Also good luck
The compressor I found on CL has the Honda gas motor on it, so no worrying about electric. Thanks for the help

I think I'm getting ahead of myself, I want to get my business license first, but I found the compressor and thought it was a decent deal

Custom Ano'd Luxe F/S/T
WTB Luxe Parts!!
Old 11-05-2012, 09:27 PM #7
tvise
USPN Hollister CA

tvise owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tvise owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tvise posts videos on PbNation
tvise has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fill stations are very expensive.

At the field I work at we have 6 tanks I believe and a 4500 PSI compressor. Its rather old but it works just fine. If I were you I would slowly build up on stuff. don't go top of the line at first because of the price.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:45 AM #8
TeacherCreature

I think you should design your vision for 1 year and 5 year out.
If you want to be open to the public and operate on a larger scale I think there are alot of things you should budget for including a GOOD air system and I would hesitate to invest any money until you have a solid plan.

If the town makes you pave 10 parking spots at 4000 bucks are you gonna be out of business with a 2300 compressor you dont need?
If they require a seperate bathroom facility with sewage leech field or sewer hook up that ends up costing you thousands are you gonna be out of business?
Check with your local board and file a site plan FIRST see what hoops you will have to jump through. Some towns ban paintball all together. In my town it cost $600 just to apply for siteplan.
Do you need a variance to put up posts for netting? Will your neighbors sign off on that variance? Did you price insurance? and see what hoops they want you to jump through?

Not trying to sound discouraging but you could end up with $10,000 in costs you had not planned on and that could make this purchase the wrong purchase. Do your research dont be impulsive and you will be glad you did.
TeacherCreature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:25 AM #9
rcontrera

That compressor is a re-branded MCH6 from ColtriSub. It is NOT designed to be used with bulk bottles as it is not rated for continuous duty.

While some people do use it with storage bottles, you are going to be eating your bearings and crank and will greatly reduce the lifetime of your machine.

Just fill directly off the compressor. If it came with a scuba filler, you can take that off and install the paintball filler for about $100.

If the compressor is set up for filling scuba bottles, you will have to have the relief valve re-set to allow you to fill to 4500 psi ... if that is where you need it.
800-344-9267
August special is 1/2 off of shipping for credit card orders or FREE SHIPPING for cash orders (cash, money order, wire transfer, check). Shipping is for Continental USA only.
rcontrera is offline   Reply With Quote