Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-30-2012, 11:26 AM #1
pcmofo

Ion XE upgraded and rebuilt still has issues

I have an Ion XE that I bought about 5 years ago and it worked great. I'm not a speed ball player and I just wanted a simple gun that worked and had a decent ROF. I havent played in about 2 years and my stuff sat in the closet until this season when I went to play for my bachelor party. I checked my gear at the local store, got my gun crono'd and my tank hyrdo'd and I was good to go. On the actual day my gun would not cycle. I had the local shop owner play with it at the field and he adjusted the dwell from the stock setting a few flashes higher until it was shooting again and all was well back in june.

Since June I have played about once every 3-4 weeks. Each time I continue to tweak, upgrade, and replace various parts in an attempt to get my Ion to shoot consistently. Each time it shoots well at the store, or well enough, then a day or two later when I show up to the field it has a variety of issues. The main issues it has are inconsistant velocity typically around +-10, not cycling at all when pulling the trigger every ~50-100 trigger pulls (just a puff of air) and various forms of double feeding. Here are the upgrades I have made to the XE.
  • 360 QEV
  • Deadly Wind Hallow Point bolt
  • Virtue OLED board
  • Virtue Laser eyes
  • TechT detents
  • New 0-300 psi Gauge
  • Clamping feed neck
  • Deadly Wind cf barrel

In addition I have also completely stripped the entire gun and cleaned every corner then reassembled with new O rings and sleek lube. I have also cleaned, lubed and rebuilt the stock regulator twice. All of the work I did was AFTER the tech at my local shop installed the Virtue board and had my gun "working". after it experienced the same issues the very next time that I went out I worked with the tech to try to solve the issue and I think I found the problem.

We tested a variety of tanks and swapped out the stock reg for a CP reg and every time the gauge on the gun would drop 10-20 psi during each shot and take a few seconds to recover to the set psi. We replaced the gauge and I cleaned and stripped the gun. I found an excess of lube coming out of the QEV and I believe that lube and dirt in the QEV was making it exhaust at a varying rate between shots and causing the inconsistency.

I rebuilt the reg and cleaned the inside of the QEV and the rest of the gun. Still the gun shoots +-10 or more. On the plus side I was able to lower the operating pressure from 180-190 down to 130-140. I am not able to lower the dwell down to anything under 27 without the gun not cycling regardless of the fact that I have the DW bolt and QEV. Swapping out the stock bolt does not fix any of the guns issues.

I am at the point where I am ready to give up on this gun after dropping another $300+ into it this year. The only improvement is that it shoots faster. After rebuilding it for the last time and testing it at the store, it was shooting acceptably. I have the dwell at 30 and the rof capped at 15 and I am using a rotor. The fps when I played this sunday was +-15 and the gun was double feeding every 10 shots or so and it was firing both rounds. I tried using other loaders and hand feeding it with the same results.

It looks like at this point I have a few options.
Sell my gun as-is at a huge loss ($300+ in upgrades this year)
Return my gun to stock, get it working and sell the gun and parts separate
Figure out whats wrong with my gun, get it working, and hope that it never has issues again (unlikely)

If anyone has an idea for something for me to try, a part to swap out, test etc I am all for giving this gun one more shot but otherwise I am ready to ditch this gun and get something that shoots every time I pull the trigger.

Last edited by pcmofo : 10-30-2012 at 03:30 PM.
pcmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-30-2012, 11:29 AM #2
pcmofo

Also, I checked the solenoid to see if their was dammage, debris, or lube in it as I heard the puff of air coming from the grip when the marker would not fire. I found no lube etc in there, just in and around the QEV. I do have the marker hose replacement kit that came with the Ion so I could replace all hoses if needed.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:23 PM #3
Chiumanfu

From all the info given, I would suggest replacing the QEV. Your problems all seem to be related to inconsistent venting of the sail pressure, therefore the problem is caused by a bad QEV, poorly operating solenoid or flat battery.

Last edited by Chiumanfu : 10-30-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Chiumanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:13 AM #4
tyronejk
titular

tyronejk is an NCPA player
tyronejk plays in the APPA beginner division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiumanfu View Post
From all the info given, I would suggest replacing the QEV. Your problems all seem to be related to inconsistent venting of the sail pressure, therefore the problem is caused by a bad QEV, poorly operating solenoid or flat battery.
^This sounds right.

Theoretical max efficiency of a marker
Automated paintball turret
tyronejk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:08 AM #5
skateandpaint

skateandpaint has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
skateandpaint has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
skateandpaint has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
i wouldnt get rid of it with all that u put in to sell it for 100 bucks and have 50 other kids offer u 50. change ur QEV and check back if that doesnt work your noid can be malfunctioning? let us know and check back. im lucky because the guy that owns my proshop shoots an ion as his main gun still..he said no one puts anything into their markers today they just sell and get the next cool one...so true

Currently shooting - PM7 with dye UL barrel, CP on/off, CCM feedneck, CP reg
48/45 with ninja reg
Reloader b
skateandpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:57 AM #6
pcmofo

Thanks guys. I know my local shop has another 360 QEV in stock. They are only open thursday-sunday though so I will have to wait till tomorrow to try that. If I went back to the stock banjo it should solve my issues as well though theoretically. I could swap that out now, test it at the shop tomorrow, then if it was consistant swap it for the new QEV and have some basis for comparison.

FYI the QEV was added to the Ion the same time the virtue OLED was added etc. Also, after cleaning the QEV of excess lube the marker dry fired better and actually shot for every trigger pull. It is very likely the QEV is a huge contributing factor to the inconsistency still. I will swap out the battery with a new energizer as well to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the feedback. I will report back after testing on thursday.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:27 PM #7
Chiumanfu

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmofo View Post
If I went back to the stock banjo it should solve my issues as well though theoretically. I could swap that out now, test it at the shop tomorrow, then if it was consistant swap it for the new QEV and have some basis for comparison.
It's quite common for the QEV to get crammed full of lube and bits of paint shell and oring. This makes the movement of the little shuttle valve inside inconsistent.

If you replace with the stock banjo, remember to increase your dwell to around 34mS.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:57 AM #8
pcmofo

Here is the black cup shaped seal that is inside the QEV that should be dry... not nearly as much lube as last time but its still there...

I ordered a whole new OEM seal kit including the base seal for the reg and I am replacing all of the O-rings and seals and using all stock parts with the exception of the virtue OLED board which has a new battery and will be reset.

I also found a slightly bent/weakened spring on the tech t detents and ordered the kila magnetic detents which everyone seems to recommend for double feeding. Going to hold off on going to my local shop until these parts show up. In the mean time I am having fun cleaning and stripping everything... for maybe the 10th time since this summer.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:40 PM #9
pcmofo

OEM Smart Parts O rings, seals etc all came in today. Ordered from PunishersPB... they sent TechT detents instead of kila.... thats kinda a disappointment. Going to have to open up the gun and take everything apart again when the detents show up... In the mean time I should be able to get the Ion shooting with the stock bolt and stock detents with all new seals.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:10 AM #10
pcmofo

I was able to successfully replace every O ring in the Ion as well as the micro line tubing and all OEM parts, with the exception of the Virtue OLED of course. I took it to the local shop to chrono it. The good news is that it is practically a new marker now and has no issue firing or double feeding.

The jury is still out on the consistency issues though. Because of wind and cold weather it was impossible to know how accurate the Ion was. The dwell was set to 30 to be on the safe side, though the gun was operating fine at 26 and started cycling at 24.

Going to play again in a few weeks and we will see if everything is in order then. A few of the O rings had some paint gunk on them or were slightly damaged. At the very least the Ion should be in good working order for a backup gun or to sell.

Thanks for the help and suggestions guys. I will update this thread after playing with the Ion in a few weeks.