aresfiend plays in the APPA D4 division
aresfiend has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSherman View Post
Etching.
Okay, then you should be happy to know that the boards (or at least the one in my proton) appear to be milled.
aresfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-04-2012, 09:30 PM #569
randomdean100

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresfiend View Post
But that would ramp up production costs by the same to make the new microswitch internals and the body to wrap the thin piece of metal around as opposed to directly to.
Yeah, because they have custom fabbed microswitches. They most likely get all of their electrical supplies in bulk from a separate company, this company most likely sells microswitches of the same type and size only with reversed activation points. All it would take is for them from now on to order the other kind of switch. What is cheaper, replacing and redesigning the boards and leads on the boards, or changing the type of microswitch they order? By your own argument it is more logical for them to change microswitches instead of the boards design itself... Not to mention as you say if they are milled pcbs instead of etched then it would be even more expensive to change the pcb design and offer board changes than changing the kind of microswitch they use.
PBN modsquad - lols for brains

Purdue jersey and more F/S
randomdean100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:33 PM #570
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomdean100 View Post
Yeah, because they have custom fabbed microswitches. They most likely get all of their electrical supplies in bulk from a separate company, this company most likely sells microswitches of the same type and size only with reversed activation points. All it would take is for them from now on to order the other kind of switch. What is cheaper, replacing and redesigning the boards and leads on the boards, or changing the type of microswitch they order? By your own argument it is more logical for them to change microswitches instead of the boards design itself...
Look, I'm assuming they don't have custom fabbed microswitches, that's why I'm saying it would cost a lot for them to get the custom made even if it's outsourced. Also, if it costs the same for them to build a new microswitch and adds more clutter or the same to change the board up which would not add more clutter, which is more logical?

I never started the microswitch argument, you did.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:37 PM #571
JohnSherman

Annual Supporting Member
JohnSherman posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Okay, then you should be happy to know that the boards (or at least the one in my proton) appear to be milled.
I doubt it, unless they are ordering these boards in much smaller quantities than I'm expecting. Either way, the process for changing the design is still incredibly easy. In the case of milling, one of our guys spends about half an hour creating a toolpath file for the CNC machine. As with etching, it is a simple process for our customers.

Last edited by JohnSherman : 11-04-2012 at 09:39 PM.
JohnSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:37 PM #572
randomdean100

Quote:
Look, I'm assuming they don't have custom fabbed microswitches, that's why I'm saying it would cost a lot for them to get the custom made even if it's outsourced. Also, if it costs the same for them to build a new microswitch and adds more clutter or the same to change the board up which would not add more clutter, which is more logical?

I never started the microswitch argument, you did.
But if its not custom fabbed, and the company sells microswitchs for many applications why wouldn't they have two of the same design microswitch only one is activated when opened and one activated when closed? I'm not saying build a new microswitch, read what I said. I said order the other type, not get one custom fabbed. I feel like I am arguing with a two year old who picks and choosing what he wants to listen to and argue against...

Old 11-04-2012, 09:42 PM #573
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

Quote:
I doubt it, unless they are ordering these boards in much smaller quantities than I'm expecting. Either way, the process for changing the design is still incredibly easy. In the case of milling, one of our guys spends about half an hour creating a toolpath file. As with etching, it is a simple process for our customers.
As far as I know, milling is much easier than etching to change, but something I've seen from Foxconn is they just us a die-like contraption that would need to be replaced for etching.

Quote:
But if its not custom fabbed, and the company sells microswitchs for many applications why wouldn't they have two of the same design microswitch only one is activated when opened and one activated when closed? I'm not saying build a new microswitch, read what I said. I said order the other type, not get one custom fabbed. I feel like I am arguing with a two year old who picks and choosing what he wants to listen to and argue against...
The problem is that the type of microswitch you're desribing isn't readily available, in fact, I've never seen a microswitch of the sort (And I've looked for them for a hopper build). Then you'd have to deal with fitting in the dimensions specified with the (most likely) added width.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:51 PM #574
JohnSherman

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
As far as I know, milling is much easier than etching to change, but something I've seen from Foxconn is they just us a die-like contraption that would need to be replaced for etching.
I don't know how Foxconn makes their board. However, they produce millions of boards a year, they use different processes than small-order manufacturers. Even so, it certainly doesn't cost them "thousands of dollars" to retool.

Quote:
The problem is that the type of microswitch you're desribing isn't readily available, in fact, I've never seen a microswitch of the sort (And I've looked for them for a hopper build). Then you'd have to deal with fitting in the dimensions specified with the (most likely) added width.
If a manufacturer builds a switch one way, they produce it the other way. Also, if it is a three prong switch as you claim, all you need to do is switch the wiring from the switch to the board around a bit. Seriously, you have been talking out of your *** for two pages now.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:56 PM #575
randomdean100

The sad thing is that with as much as you expect people to put their knowledge of board leads, microswitches, and general electrical knowledge up for all to see you fail to come forward with your own credentials. I have completely obliterated your argument with basic concepts found in a highschool science class and the knowledge gained over the years with the internet. No further schooling required, and yet you have failed to give a reasonable argument against my recommendation. You seem like one of those people who dropped out of school, got their ged, went to community college, and now thinks they're hot **** because of a ****ty CC degree and having "close" relations with a dealer.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:57 PM #576
lp04
SNIPER

lp04 plays in the PSP
lp04 donated to help Peyton Trent
lp04 plays in the APPA D4 division
lp04 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:

Did you remove the o-ring? Unless you did that, there's no way in hell I'm finding this easy to believe. I lubed the o-ring on the switch in order for it to be easier to pull out and even then it's a *****.

yes im lying on my experience on my gun
Old 11-04-2012, 10:02 PM #577
Ty29
Nor Mich raised

I didn't know you could draw gun designs with an etch-a-sketch!
Ty29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:15 AM #578
venom1256
Scrooge McDuck

venom1256 plays in the PSP
venom1256 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
venom1256 is an NCPA player
venom1256 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by lp04 View Post
yes im lying on my experience on my gun
This kid is 12, the switch clearly needs to be redone.
venom1256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:40 AM #579
JohnSherman

Annual Supporting Member
So is this gun worth picking up as a backup? It's ugly as sin, but I might be able to get over that if the board is nice and it shoots well.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:45 AM #580
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

Quote:
So is this gun worth picking up as a backup? It's ugly as sin, but I might be able to get over that if the board is nice and it shoots well.
Definitely worth it.

The shot is pretty smooth for an unbalanced spoolie, the board is just a basic board, and the trigger feels like sex.

And aside from what people may lead you to believe, unless you're hitting the wrong corner of your gripframe with enough force to bruise your fingers, you won't be shutting it off ingame any time soon.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:40 PM #581
RogueShooter

I've had two nearly-full days of play with mine so far and have yet to accidentally turn it off, even crawling through thick underbrush and running and sliding like an idiot. I won't go so far as to say it's impossible but I honestly don't know how anyone could do it regularly without trying. I have however, forgotten to turn it on a couple of times lol...

I will ask around about any rumored board change, though I can tell you I find it highly unlikely (one of Valken's top sales reps plays with our team).
GOG/DLX - Valken - QuickShot Paintball - FogDoc.com - TechT - Deadlywind
RogueShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:52 PM #582
lp04
SNIPER

lp04 plays in the PSP
lp04 donated to help Peyton Trent
lp04 plays in the APPA D4 division
lp04 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
It all depends on how you hold your gun. With my large hands I wrap my hands between front grip over the top of the tube and back down.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:00 PM #583
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

Quote:
Originally Posted by lp04 View Post
It all depends on how you hold your gun. With my large hands I wrap my hands between front grip over the top of the tube and back down.
I don't think they intended you to hold it by the power button....
Old 11-05-2012, 05:02 PM #584
bulzeye

bulzeye is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
bulzeye donated to help Peyton Trent
bulzeye supports Team VICIOUS
bulzeye is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Quote:
you mean a normally open microswitch or a normally closed microswitch? most of the switches (three prongs) are both it just depends on how you have it wired up. you wouldn't have to change switches you would just have to change which terminal you hook your lead up to.

is the microswitch soldered directly to a board? if so you could possibly just desolder the switch and turn it around 180 degrees and it would operate how you would want.

KILLA$ KREW
UnspokeN
Old School Feedback

Last edited by bulzeye : 11-05-2012 at 05:06 PM.
bulzeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:06 PM #585
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulzeye View Post
you mean a normally open microswitch or a normally closed microswitch? most of the switches (three prongs) are both it just depends on how you have it wired up. you wouldn't have to change switches you would just have to change which terminal you hook your lead up to.
The problem is that the space behind the microwitch module just isn't there. You would have to modify the board/switch in order to change the wiring around as there are solid (albeit thin) pieces of aluminum in the microswitch that conduct the current that would need to be modified.

If you desoldered it and flipped it around then the button would no longer contact the switch.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:12 PM #586
bulzeye

bulzeye is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
bulzeye donated to help Peyton Trent
bulzeye supports Team VICIOUS
bulzeye is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Quote:
The problem is that the space behind the microwitch module just isn't there. You would have to modify the board/switch in order to change the wiring around as there are solid (albeit thin) pieces of aluminum in the microswitch that conduct the current that would need to be modified.

If you desoldered it and flipped it around then the button would no longer contact the switch.
thanks. i haven't seen pictures of it yet

KILLA$ KREW
UnspokeN
Old School Feedback
bulzeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:13 PM #587
randomdean100

Quote:

is the microswitch soldered directly to a board? if so you could possibly just desolder the switch and turn it around 180 degrees and it would operate how you would want.
Oh I understand this, but with the way he was talking about leads on the board needing to be changed I figured that would fly right over his head. My example was just easier to illustrate that there are much easier methods.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:16 PM #588
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

Quote:
thanks. i haven't seen pictures of it yet
Would you like pictures?

Quote:
Oh I understand this, but with the way he was talking about leads on the board needing to be changed I figured that would fly right over his head. My example was just easier to illustrate that there are much easier methods.
I don't think you get this, the board has SOLID leads, the microswitch has SOLID internal connections. You would have to modify one of the two in order to achieve that.
ReplyNews Ups

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.