Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-10-2012, 03:29 PM #64
firebirdjimbo
Arms Dealer

firebirdjimbo owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
firebirdjimbo has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
firebirdjimbo has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Because it isn't sponsored by Monster energy. Another reason; everyone who doesn't play paintball things you just sit behind a bunker and scream the whole game because they've seen a speedball match or two. It looks so stupid when coaches are just yelling random **** like Sand 1! or something and spectators have no idea what all that made up crap is or why they're yelling. If it was in the Olympics i think coaching should not be allowed. Most people though don't take paintball seriously.

Email/paypal: firebirdjimbo@yahoo.com
always buying failed polishing projects/ugly bastards
firebirdjimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-10-2012, 11:54 PM #65
masher1

masher1 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Papa Pink View Post
1. Not sure I buy the cost argument. Have you seen the cost of Hockey Equipment or Golf Clubs? A good set of gear for ether sport will set you back as much or more than paintball. They both also have ongoing fees similar to playing paintball twice a month or more. I also play golf about once a week and that is $50 in greens fees or more each time out. Paintball twice a month is less expensive for me than Golf is. I would say paintball is on par with the more expensive pastime pursuits but so is Golf; Golf is HUGELY popular even though it can be very expensive.

2. Paintball has been vilified in the press and there is not a strong advocacy group to counter the bad press, so naturally you are right that most uninformed people will have an incorrect view of the game.

3 and 4: So you blame greedy corporations? Neither the markers they produce or they company themselves are to blame. We need only look in the mirror.

So the second set of 3 and 4:
Hockey can be hard to follow for those who don't know the game. All it takes is a little education. Again, paintball lacks a strong advocacy group.

5 and 6: totally agree, and here in Colorado some are doing just that.

7: See the the first set of 3 and 4.

Honestly, Paintball needs a strong advocacy group that will promote the game and the ideals that honorable players strive for. Until Paintball can shake the negative view may people have of our sport, it will continue to grow slowly. It is up to each of us to do our part and introduce new players to the sport in a way that will allow them to enjoy it.
Been playing and enjoying paintball since 1992. Both of us have seen the game change quite a bit, and I think in may ways for the better.
I would reply back but for some reason I cannot...system tells me error.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:20 AM #66
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See

has been a member for 10 years
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Soul06 supports Empire
Check out the "Top American Search Queries"

Custom Ano'd Prestige CSL w/ Dart Kit - Midnight Superblue LV1
Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:17 PM #67
timelessdental

Only a matter of time

At the age of 47, I have found a game that motivates me and my 11 year old son to enjoy the great outdoors together.....and this my friends...is priceless!

My axe and other gear cost about the same as good golf gear...so did his gear...but we have a lot more fun then golf at about the same expense.

I think paintball needs a televised "Ryder Cup!"
timelessdental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:21 PM #68
TwistedFreak (Banned)

TwistedFreak is playing at Living Legends V
TwistedFreak owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
TwistedFreak has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
If i ever win the lottery ill put money into this sport and try to make it big...promise
Dont lose hope. The ufc started off pretty crappy and look where they are now.
I wish my daddy went paintballin with me!

Last edited by TwistedFreak : 10-04-2012 at 11:38 PM.
TwistedFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:31 AM #69
timelessdental

priceless

It is only getting better...for all you dads whose kid is a computer geek....try paintball.....it is the same as Call of Duty of life.....I am forever grateful to the paintball community for a sport that has my 70 lb running around with a 10 lb gun and fully loaded hopper working out for 7 hrs at a time while having fun.
This is priceless....!
timelessdental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:23 AM #70
Soul06

Soul06 supports Empire
Funny enough, as much as I hate to hear people call fields "maps", the first and third person shooter video games might be one of the best things to happen to rec woodsball. They help draw in lots of new players.

On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Old 10-07-2012, 10:21 AM #71
Castro #66
Not a Moderator*

Annual Supporting Member
Castro #66 is a Supporting Member
Castro #66 is playing at Living Legends VII
Castro #66 supports Bob Gurnsey
Castro #66 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Castro #66 is Legendary
Castro #66 is attending Decay of Nations VII
Paintball has been taking advantage of video games (and vice versa) for years. It's a love/hate relationship, though.

Castro #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:21 AM #72
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
KYhillbilly has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
One thing that would help paintball alot is if there was a good amount of high school and college teams. But one issue with that is the cost.

I think the big issue with paintball is its hard to get into in alot of places and the cost.
KYhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:22 PM #73
pcook

pcook is playing at Living Legends VI
pcook supports Team VICIOUS
pcook has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
pcook has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball_Buster_A-5 View Post
The "focal" point would be the team you are going for or the players on said team. you watch as players from "your" team get eliminated and make eliminations focus on the players
I agree. To make it more interesting as well is the fact that you can create a PB Bracket like march madness in which people who don't play the sport can have fun with it. Someone, somewhere, could even give rankings to teams based on wins, projected hype of equipment used. (what I mean by equipment used I can give you can extreme example of two teams once using empire's and one using tippman 98 customs, one could argue the better equipment will give "that" team an advantage) It could be very interesting and fun!
Old 10-23-2012, 04:02 PM #74
Lazerwolf

I always love these topics about why paintball isn't popular. Paintball could very well be a popular sport, he'll if people will sit and watch a game of baseball, IMO the one of the most boring sports in history to watch, then why can't paintball become just as popular. As someone said one of the reasons is because its the fact that paintball hasn't been around for very long when compared to other sports.

Then you have the different leagues with the different rules, to mainstream paintball one united league would be needed with one set of rules, if that doesn't work have one league and on different days play with different rules ie. psp, nppl so forth and so on. Until you figure out which set of rules gets more vppl watching.

As for cameras Nfl games use anywhere from 10 to 30 cameras per game, and that's for huge stadiums paintball could get by with 5 minimum the overhead camera would do wonders for the game. Of course I'm talking about a speedball type set up. Doing something a simple as making the paintballs neon colors would help with seeing where the balls were going.

Everyone seems to say oh people wouldn't like paintball because it's too much chaos and there's no focal point, I don't think this to be true simply for the fact that chaos is for the most part fun to watch. And the sound of the break at any speedball match is just pure awesome I can't really compare it. I for one love the sound of any paintball match its exciting. I'm sure everyone who watches NASCAR Just watch it because they love watching cars drive in cirlces for miles on in...and not at all because they like seeing the crashes...that couldn't be it at all. Just like no one watches hockey for the fights right? That's all chaos and it's a thrill to watch. Yes it's more chaos then a paintball game but chaos all the same.

As for it being in the Olympic games and causing wars because one country lost too another, well that's ridiculous. First of all I doubt you'd see Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, or any of those country's with a paintball team just for the fact that they can barely get a soccer team to the Olympics so no worries there. Second the American team would always bring home the gold (lol kinda bias here). Fights are going to happen in any sport between fans regardless, because people don't want to see their team lose its just how it is.

If you don't agree with what I said then that's fine it's America you have the right to state your opinion just as I have stated mine.
Lazerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:38 PM #75
venarius

Professional Paintball is pretty boring to watch... I watched 35 mins of NPPL play the other day, and I was literally falling asleep by the end.

You have 15 seconds of people actually moving, and the rest is just sitting in one place fanning a trigger. Boring for me (a paintball player) to watch, so it'd be boring as all heck if I tried to make my girlfriend watch.

Paintball is

A) Like fencing, too fast paced for typical people to understand what's happening.

B) Too little movement in "professional" games. Give players pumps again, and then you'll see an interesting game with lots of movement for the spectator.

C) People will always be weary of sports of "shooting things". Can't fix that.

As for paintball itself, it is doing fine I think. Prices for paint have dropped in the last decade, making it more affordable, and more people are attending walk on days now compared to then too.

An idea I read about floating around 10 years ago (don't know if they tried it...) was to have players wear helmet cams, along with over-field cameras utilizing technology to highlight in Blue/Red the players on a WOODED FIELD... cause typical people can relate to that more than "Speedball".

Seemed like an amazing idea that might actually do well...

The other idea I would think of is giant Scenario games with specific players followed like a "reality show".
Autococker (built from scratch myself back in the day!)

Last edited by venarius : 10-23-2012 at 07:51 PM.
venarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:51 PM #76
inferno2inferno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul06
Funny enough, as much as I hate to hear people call fields "maps", the first and third person shooter video games might be one of the best things to happen to rec woodsball. They help draw in lots of new players.
Although video games do draw in a lot of players, it also pushes them away at the same time. Shooter games give people especially kids very romanticized ideas about fighting and combat and I find that a lot of kids come to fields expecting COD skills to come to life. They then get disappointed and do not come back; they just go back to the console.

Video games also create a peculiar divide in within paintball. Game fans who come to paintball tend to go for the tactical, milsim experience I find. Speedball gets largely ignored as a consequence at times, and that is where the sport of paintball comes alive. But if it's ignored because video games do not draw new players towards it, then it will suffer a bit as a sport and not get big.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:53 AM #77
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno2inferno View Post
Video games also create a peculiar divide in within paintball. Game fans who come to paintball tend to go for the tactical, milsim experience I find. Speedball gets largely ignored as a consequence at times, and that is where the sport of paintball comes alive. But if it's ignored because video games do not draw new players towards it, then it will suffer a bit as a sport and not get big.
Makes one wonder why game makers don't make more sport type shooting games more similar to speedball. Are they too boring to play after a short while?

Personally I think the First Person Shooter video games are a big competition for paintball. Without having to leave your house, for much less money, you can play games that are much more diverse, and as mentioned, even romantic. They are also not weather dependent. They are so realistic these days, they even get your adrenaline flowing. If they ever make sensory recognition (feel the hit) more commonplace, we're hooped.

Last edited by Horizon : 10-24-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Horizon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:15 AM #78
Soul06

Soul06 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno2inferno View Post
Although video games do draw in a lot of players, it also pushes them away at the same time. Shooter games give people especially kids very romanticized ideas about fighting and combat and I find that a lot of kids come to fields expecting COD skills to come to life. They then get disappointed and do not come back; they just go back to the console.

True but remember woodsball is where paintball was born and remains the backbone of the sport. It what brings in most of the money. I can't really co-sign the statement of "Speedball...thats where the sport comes alive" because there is too large a following for traditional woodsball, scenario and milsim style of play. To each his own in that.
But all in all I think the video games does more to help the sport then hurt it. Games or not everyone who tries paintball isn't going to enjoy it or, if they do, they aren't going to stay. But at least the popularity of games like COD and the rest draws players out to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Makes one wonder why game makers don't make more sport type shooting games more similar to speedball. Are they too boring to play after a short while?

Personally I think the First Person Shooter video games are a big competition for paintball. Without having to leave your house, for much less money, you can play games that are much more diverse, and as mentioned, even romantic. They are also not weather dependent. They are so realistic these days, they even get your adrenaline flowing. If they ever make sensory recognition (feel the hit) more commonplace, we're hooped.
Well there are games more like speedball; Greg Hastings Paintball. But its not a widely popular game like COD and the rest. I love speedball too but it just isn't fun or appealing enough for me to want to play it in video game form. The fantasy of running through random enviornments shooting back and forth at each other is far more fun. And also remember that these games aren't exactly slow. They are fast paced, "run and gun" games. Have you watch people play lately. I almost dare say its like speedball on scenario layouts.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:01 AM #79
brak54
still spoolin

brak54 is playing at Living Legends V
brak54 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
brak54 supports Team VICIOUS
brak54 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
paintball isnt a spectator sport , period plus who wants to watch ppl cheating antime they get a chance