Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-02-2012, 04:40 PM #1
benzy2
angry bird

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Thoughts on Proto Switch FS?

Looking for a new mask. Looking to spend $40-$60. Read a lot of the comparison threads and most tend to push the proflex pretty hard. Seems like a great mask but it's not what I'm looking for. I want a little more protection and their soft ears seem non-existent. I'm a casual player and willing to give up a break to the ear rather than what goes with the proflex (that still probably broke). I'm also looking for something rather easy to switch lenses on. Those two points seem to be the biggest drawbacks on the proflex.

I've looked at the Flex-8, which seems like a good compromise on protection, especially the ears, while still keeping the spectra lens compatibility and JT's quality. That said, the lens change still sucks and their lenses seem to need replaced more often than many others.

So that left me looking. Not many options have decent ear protection, a thermal lens, and easy lens swaps in the $40-$60 range. The Proto Switch fits those desires pretty well. The reviews I've seen say it's a little heavier than a proflex and some say it feels claustrophobic. I'm replacing an original Dye Invision. I like that mask. I wouldn't mind a slightly more extended profile but I never had issues with it feeling too cramped. If anything the close fit made it feel more assuring that nothing was going to slip under at a weird angle.

I'd love to try them all on, I really would, but I don't have a proshop around. I play in private woods and on a woodsball field that has just enough space in a shed for rental equipment, paint, and air. A few other options sell the "Walmart" type equipment. From there it's mostly internet. How does the Proto Switch compare to the original Dye Invision from a size/feel point of view? I haven't seen any side by side comparisons online. I'm happy with the old Dye mask but to bring it back up to new condition is going to run me what a lot of other masks cost new today making it a hard sell.
benzy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-02-2012, 05:23 PM #2
Zippin35

Zippin35 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Zippin35 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 is attending Decay of Nations VI
If ease of lens switch is important I would take a look at the empire helix, same lens system as the e-flex and e-vents just no soft ears.
New England Crusade #35
Bored? On Facebook? Come join my group Paintball Gear for Sale!
Zippin35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:31 PM #3
D-man[WarLlamas]
Old and in the way

Annual Supporting Member
D-man[WarLlamas] posts videos on PbNation
D-man[WarLlamas] plays in the APPA beginner division
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy2 View Post
...How does the Proto Switch compare to the original Dye Invision from a size/feel point of view? ...
I haven't owned a Switch, but IMO the Proto Axis Pro is like a slightly tighter fitting i3 with a quick-change lens system.

Also, if you can change the lens in the original Invision, the JT Spectra lens system will be a snap. Invision/i3 = hardest lens to change ever.

Check out the new Empire Vidar or a JT Spectra ProShield. You may also want to look at the Profiler since it offers good protection and a quick-change lens. I also recommend the Helix with thermal lens. We sell a lot of them at my field - best mask for $40.

- - Buy my swagg: - - - - - - XSV Axe Pro for sale! - - -
D-man[WarLlamas] is offline   Reply With Quote