Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-26-2012, 10:57 AM #43
F1VENOM

has been a member for 10 years
The Origin is a textbook? How old is your curriculum?

Whoa, can I sacrifice you instead?
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:58 AM #44
automagsrule
LOIC

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
It should be.
Why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
I've read the bible
I have very strong opinions regarding people who say this.

“If it is true that we need a degree of certainty to get by, it is also true that too much of the stuff can be lethal”
-Terry Eagleton
automagsrule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:05 AM #45
Tafari Makonnen
His Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEnterprise View Post
Really? So if they found soft tissue in a dinosaur bone, and then found more of this in OTHER bones, all over the world, they would change the dating as clearly the bones can't be hundreds of millions of years old and still have soft tissue inside?... Oh wait, no actually, they don't change as it doesn't fit their preconceived framework of millions of years...
You are assuming that it the fact that soft tissue is present that the age of the bone has to be limited without any understanding of the science involved. Do you know WHY tissue shouldn't last for a certain period of time? Do you know of any possible mechanisms that might let it last longer than expected? Do you know how long different kinds should last under different conditions? Do you even know exactly what the state of preservation of this tissue was, or any reason why that state might be unreasonable? A basic understanding of all these things is required to make the statements you are making.

...and that is the problem, you don't know any of those things. You know what the article stated, which was written by an author with no knowledge on the subject and covers essentially nothing. None of that matters to you because you can twist it until it supports you opinion and that is enough for you. You operate on assumptions with no knowledge of the topic at hand, like a damned idiot.

Quote:
Actually, if you look at evolutionary thought logically, then of course that ideology makes sense as the entire premiss of evolution is that given enough time, species will change for the better, so some HAVE to be worse and "still evolving"... (even though the opposite is true, the more generations down a family tree of a species, the more genetic defects damage that species DNA causing it to be more susceptible to harm from its damaged DNA. Ever wondered why so many are allergic to everything today?... Or how cancer and other diseases including genetic diseases have blown up?)
We have allergies, cancer, and genetic diseases because we are no longer subject to natural selection. We have developed beyond adapting to our environment, we change the environment to suit our needs. This has gotten to the point where just about everyone gets to survive and reproduce, regardless of traits that would prove detrimental in nature.

Again, you lack a fundamental understanding of the topics you go on about and just pick arguments that seem to work on the surface. You like the capacity (Or desire. Or both.) to analyze the information critically and see if it makes sense, or even make a reasonable determination as to your ability to understand the entire argument. You make assumptions without knowing anything, like a damned idiot.

Quote:
Would you be Ok if they taught Creationism side by side with evolution?...

See I don't care what they teach in public schools, as public schools have proven to be horrible at actually educating our youth. They don't care about "teaching" your kids, they just want them to learn to follow what they tell them and not think for themselves. I would rather let my kids learn, all they can, about everything... While teaching them reason and logic.

And that knowledge and ability to reason and use logic will actually serve them better than trying to limit their "education" to only the things that fit a certain narrow world view.
You says you "teach reason and logic" whilst demonstrating again and again that you are either completely incapable or flat out refuse to do just that.

Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph.

Last edited by Tafari Makonnen : 10-26-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Tafari Makonnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:05 AM #46
F1VENOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by automagsrule View Post
Why?

I have very strong opinions regarding people who say this.
Religion shouldn't be a prerequisite for political office.

Why is that? I couldn't have been raised religious and smelled the bull****?
Old 10-26-2012, 11:19 AM #47
automagsrule
LOIC

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Why is that? I couldn't have been raised religious and smelled the bull****?
A religious text isnt some ****ty james patterson novel you read on an airplane then sit on your bookshelf. There are people who dedicate their lives to study the bible and I have yet to hear one of them say "yup, all done"

But its cool, you read parts of it once whe you were young, you great theologian you.

“If it is true that we need a degree of certainty to get by, it is also true that too much of the stuff can be lethal”
-Terry Eagleton
Old 10-26-2012, 11:23 AM #48
F1VENOM

Quote:
A religious text isnt some ****ty james patterson novel you read on an airplane then sit on your bookshelf. There are people who dedicate their lives to study the bible and I have yet to hear one of them say "yup, all done"

But its cool, you read parts of it once whe you were young, you great theologian you.
How about attending a private church school that opens every morning with a bible lesson, Wednesdays a mandatory service and of course Sunday service? Is that enough bible cred. for you?
Old 10-26-2012, 11:28 AM #49
automagsrule
LOIC

Annual Supporting Member
Nope

-Terry Eagleton
Old 10-26-2012, 11:32 AM #50
Tafari Makonnen
His Imperial Majesty

Quote:
How about attending a private church school that opens every morning with a bible lesson, Wednesdays a mandatory service and of course Sunday service? Is that enough bible cred. for you?
That does not constiture "having read the Bible".

Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:32 AM #51
F1VENOM

Lol is it because I no linger agree with it? How about if I puked out crap like FE?
Old 10-26-2012, 11:35 AM #52
automagsrule
LOIC

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Lol is it because I no linger agree with it? How about if I puked out crap like FE?
Of course not. Its because I know what takes place in those silly school bible studies and weekly services, and that can only be considered religious education on the most basic level.

-Terry Eagleton
Old 10-26-2012, 11:40 AM #53
F1VENOM

Quote:
Of course not. Its because I know what takes place in those silly school bible studies and weekly services, and that can only be considered religious education on the most basic level.
In that regard I agree but if you hold the standard that high most Christians haven't read the bible.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:40 AM #54
Tafari Makonnen
His Imperial Majesty

Edit: ^^^That is because most haven't read the Bible.

Quote:
No, because learning stripped down parables based on bible passages to convey morals to children is not "reading the Bible".

Old 10-26-2012, 11:47 AM #55
automagsrule
LOIC

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
In that regard I agree but if you hold the standard that high most Christians haven't read the bible.
Most of them havent.

-Terry Eagleton
Old 10-26-2012, 11:54 AM #56
Iamamartianchurch

If you haven't any knowledge of Kabbalic teachings, you'll never understand Genesis or the garden of Eden/original sin.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:13 PM #57
F1VENOM

Quote:
Most of them havent.
Thanks for answering the why for me.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:05 PM #58
scienceguy

Quote:

Actually, if you look at evolutionary thought logically, then of course that ideology makes sense as the entire premiss of evolution is that given enough time, species will change for the better, so some HAVE to be worse and "still evolving"... (even though the opposite is true, the more generations down a family tree of a species, the more genetic defects damage that species DNA causing it to be more susceptible to harm from its damaged DNA. Ever wondered why so many are allergic to everything today?... Or how cancer and other diseases including genetic diseases have blown up?)

Would you be Ok if they taught Creationism side by side with evolution?...

w.
I think your logic is off on the first paragraph. The whole theory is based on the fact that you are different from your parents, not better or worse. But to answer your question about allergies and cancer.

1: cancer: people live longer now and don't die from other things. Cancer rates rise by default. Also the increase in industrial pollution plays a role in that. There are lots of studies involving cancer clusters that remove genetics as a factor. Genetics do play a role in some cancers though. It's complicated.
2: allergies: we're cleaner now. In my time in Africa I never saw a kid with a peanut allergy and we give out lots of plumpynut. Do that here and someone's going to keel over. One theory is that It's probably due to worm infestation mopping up IgE... That antibody plays a big role in immune response to large parasites and also allergies and asthma. It was hard to find someone without worms where I was. There are some studies that suggest this happened in Japan.

I would be fine teaching evolution next to science as long as they included all the other religions too, not just yours. Religion and culture are connected That's why I said it fits better in the social studies classes. They might as well kill two birds with one stone. Religion is a big deal in the worldand should be in the schools. Its silly to ignore it. I bet the conservative Christians would be more upset by a policy that teaches Islam and paganism than the hippy liberals and ACLU. How would Rush feel about that?

FYI:
The prof. of my evolutionary biology class in college spent the first days of class going over the creation stories of as many religions as he could find. He said to let him know if he left any out. He said he never wanted to catch crap from any religion. My personal favorite was that we all grew out of the back of a giant turtle.
scienceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:46 PM #59
TheRedButton

TheRedButton owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
As an Indiana native, I'm pretty ashamed that this guy beat out Dick Lugar because ultra-conservative voters didn't like Tricky Dick reaching across the aisle to make things work, a blatant violation of the GOP's 4-year plan of "deny, deny, deny."

Pretty awful, Dick Lugar was the man.

Cory Persson Fan #1
TheRedButton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:49 PM #60
TheRedButton

TheRedButton owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
For someone who is so focused on being "open minded" it sure smacks of hypocrisy to be totally against teaching all the available ideas about how man came to live on our earth...

The majority of Americans believe in Creationism, by far. It isn't even close. The biggest reason certain people are against teaching Creationism, is because they have hardened their hearts toward God.

But, according to science, if we can't test and repeatedly prove a method, you don't just accept one method over another without that proof. A scientific mind would look at ALL the theories, instead of forcing ONE theory to be "right" regardless if it is proven or not. Picking one theory and teaching it as fact, when there are so many holes in it, is not "science" at all. No one knows for sure what is right, so ALL theories concerning the origins of man should be taught in school.

Unless school is just about indoctrination, instead of learning to actually THINK...
The best part of this post is how hilariously ironic it is.

Cory Persson Fan #1
TheRedButton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:58 PM #61
Tuff
Supports 2nd Amendment

Tuff is a founding member
Quote:
When I was in high school a friend of mine had never met his dad. When he turned 18 his mom explained why...
He was the product of a violent rape. His mom didn't abort him, and instead raised him. She said having him, changed her life, and instead of dwelling on the attack, she focused her energy on her son.
Her son was a great guy, and she said he looked exactly like her attacker...
Good for them. Was she forced to keep him? Because that's the argument here, and some people do not feel forced to be saddled with something they didn't choose. You are defending logic that implies a small child who is raped should be further introduced to trauma by being forced to have that baby. And apparently god supports that, because he supports rape according to the Dick from the first post.

Quote:
The majority of Americans believe in Creationism, by far. It isn't even close. The biggest reason certain people are against teaching Creationism, is because they have hardened their hearts toward God.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/1..._n_799078.html

"A new Gallup poll, released Dec. 17, reveals that 40 percent of Americans still believe that humans were created by God within the last 10,000 years. This number is slightly down from a previous high of 47 percent in 1993 and 1999.
Another 38 percent of respondents believe that humans have evolved from more basic organisms but with God playing a role in the process.
A mere 16 percent of respondents subscribed to the belief of "secular evolution": that humans have evolved with no divine guidance. However, this number has nearly doubled from nine percent of respondents in a poll from 1982."

http://www.gallup.com/poll/145286/Fo...eationism.aspx

Either admit you're talking out your ***, or I have zero interest in being nice to you at all anymore. There is no "large majority" and mounds of evidence that those believing Creationism have severely lacking scientific credentials.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:53 PM #62
automagsrule
LOIC

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Thanks for answering the why for me.
No problemo broham.

-Terry Eagleton