Community Focus

Old 10-24-2012, 12:10 PM #190
Umami
Paragon

Umami supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1115210944.htm

A bit old, but god ****ing damn. Ancient Greece anyone?
They should have done a better job distinguishing those papers as from a medical archive. Keep in mind the relative privatization of medicine in the US...

SOG
I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:10 PM #191
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
Mathematics isn't an oral thing.
Just what the hell is the relevance of this?
Iamamartianchurch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:15 PM #192
F1VENOM

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Just what the hell is the relevance of this?
If you're talking about written story telling there's plenty of access to it and they choose to not read that "story." My assumption is that you're talking about oral story telling as that's how creation myths originally propagated and mathematics really isn't an oral thing.
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:17 PM #193
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
If you're talking about written story telling there's plenty of access to it and they choose to not read that "story." My assumption is that you're talking about oral story telling as that's how creation myths originally propagated and mathematics really isn't an oral thing.
No that's not what I was talking about.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:19 PM #194
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umami View Post
They should have done a better job distinguishing those papers as from a medical archive. Keep in mind the relative privatization of medicine in the US...
Charlatans to the lions?
Old 10-24-2012, 01:02 PM #195
Umami
Paragon

Quote:
Charlatans to the lions?
That's how academia works.

I am a little curious about your "math as allegory" statement. Are you arguing that pure mathematics is storytelling? Or is it only storytelling when it's used to model something?

If pure math is storytelling, what story is it telling?

SOG
I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:54 PM #196
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
That's how academia works.

I am a little curious about your "math as allegory" statement. Are you arguing that pure mathematics is storytelling? Or is it only storytelling when it's used to model something?

If pure math is storytelling, what story is it telling?
I prefer actual lions. Sophists can't sin from the grave.

I think it can be both, though I'm having trouble coming up with an argument for the former right now, so we will have to proceed on with the latter.

I literally just thought of this idea when responding to Treghc so bare with me.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:59 PM #197
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
Treghc is a Forum Captain
Quote:
I literally just thought of this idea when responding to Treghc so bare with me.
Glad to be of service

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Treghc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:34 PM #198
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Numbers are symbols, equations are allegorical and all of mathematics is story telling.
Yo, man, like everything is just part of, like, the story of mother earth *hippy accent*

No, but really, I like this idea. What is "1+1" but taking two separate things and putting them together? Can equations exist without story? I don't believe they can. Hell, what is "4" but a collection of 4 things? Not sure how this is relevant to creationism being a joke, but I still like it.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:25 PM #199
Umami
Paragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
No, but really, I like this idea. What is "1+1" but taking two separate things and putting them together? Can equations exist without story? I don't believe they can. Hell, what is "4" but a collection of 4 things? Not sure how this is relevant to creationism being a joke, but I still like it.
All you're doing here is demonstrating a lack of understanding of number theory. In pure math, "1" is a concept that is demonstrably independent from a "thing".

This reminds me of a time I overheard some philosophy majors talking about GR. I wanted to walk over and punch every single one of them in the face.

SOG

Last edited by Umami : 10-24-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:25 PM #200
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
All you're doing here is demonstrating a lack of understanding of number theory. In pure math, "1" is a concept that is demonstrably independent from a "thing".

This reminds me of a time I overheard some philosophy majors talking about GR. I wanted to walk over and punch every single one of them in the face.
You're right; I am not well versed in number theory. Philosophically, I mostly stuck to ethics. Secondly, this wasn't really my idea. I was just taking a comment and running with it. Considering, I feel it would be more productive to explain my mistakes rather than simply tell me I'm wrong though, especially when I do you the service of dismantling the historic authority of creationism.

Last edited by TheSilentAssassin : 10-24-2012 at 07:27 PM.
TheSilentAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:48 PM #201
F1VENOM

Quote:

Tensor, I barely know her.
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote