Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2012, 01:58 PM #64
$h@key J0nEZ
Paintball is dead
 
$h@key J0nEZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hollywood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt.is.back2011 View Post
War is nothing more than a fiscal stimulus...hence why WWII helped drive the US out of recession...

But as a classic liberal professor from college once told me, if given the choice, he'd rather have stimulus here at home building railroads, schools, transportation, and research, vs. toys that get built then blown up 2 weeks later overseas.

At least with R&D domestically, it pays dividends into the longterm future.
Somebody has forgotten what the Iraq war did to the price of gas and the effects from it.
__________________
$h@key J0nEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-23-2012, 02:11 PM #65
Matt.is.back2011
 
 
Matt.is.back2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by $h@key J0nEZ View Post
Somebody has forgotten what the Iraq war did to the price of gas and the effects from it.
Gas prices are rarely effected by external factors due to being inelastic goods with a constantly increasing demand profile, giant oil companies abroad and domestically, and the oligopolies that exist in the petroleum market that control the supply of crude oil.

What's your point, exactly?
__________________
THE OHIO STATE
Class of 2011

Last edited by Matt.is.back2011 : 10-23-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Matt.is.back2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:28 PM #66
licence2kill
POOP
 
licence2kill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Orange County
Quote:
Originally Posted by $h@key J0nEZ View Post
Somebody has forgotten what the Iraq war did to the price of gas and the effects from it.
1. we were away from the zero lower bound so fiscal multiplier was zero
2. gas prices rise on restriction of supply and/or expectations of higher real growth leading to higher demand
licence2kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:34 PM #67
$h@key J0nEZ
Paintball is dead
 
$h@key J0nEZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hollywood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt.is.back2011 View Post
Gas prices are rarely effected by external factors due to being inelastic goods with a constantly increasing demand profile, giant oil companies abroad and domestically, and the oligopolies that exist in the petroleum market that control the supply of crude oil.

What's your point, exactly?
How quickly thou forgets....

__________________
$h@key J0nEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:41 PM #68
$h@key J0nEZ
Paintball is dead
 
$h@key J0nEZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hollywood
Gas prices have always been affected by war and instability in the Middle East.

Edit: Take a guess when the Gulf War happened.

__________________

Last edited by $h@key J0nEZ : 10-23-2012 at 02:45 PM.
$h@key J0nEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:49 PM #69
$h@key J0nEZ
Paintball is dead
 
$h@key J0nEZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hollywood
My original point was that fuel prices are a huge factor in the economy. That's what caused the recession. It's also why we are having such a hard time coming out of it. It will be some time before the country adjusts. If it ever happens at all.
__________________
$h@key J0nEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:01 PM #70
licence2kill
POOP
 
licence2kill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Orange County
That is not what caused the recession.
licence2kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:04 PM #71
barrel roll
secedere
 
barrel roll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: FL/GA border
barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
I love the equivalent of "nu-uh!" responses.

Through knowledge, we gain freedom. Impress upon me the knowledge you have.
__________________
--- UNDRPRVLGD Goggle Straps n stuff ---
If this be treason, make the most of it.-Patrick Henry
I'm a damn veteran, I've got more rights and privileges than you do.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:08 PM #72
licence2kill
POOP
 
licence2kill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Orange County
if you think gas prices caused the great recession then you need to incinerate yourself for the sake of humanity
licence2kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:46 PM #73
$h@key J0nEZ
Paintball is dead
 
$h@key J0nEZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hollywood
Quote:
Originally Posted by licence2kill View Post
if you think gas prices caused the great recession then you need to incinerate yourself for the sake of humanity
Quality post from Mr. if you know so much why didn't you save us from the recession?

Caution: Watch for falling bubbles!
__________________
$h@key J0nEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:53 PM #74
spracks21
Zap Rowsdower
 
spracks21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lincoln, NE
spracks21 plays in the PSP
spracks21 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
spracks21 supports Team VICIOUS
spracks21 supports Team VICIOUS
Actually, as everyone knows, the recession was due to kids not getting enough calcium in their diets.
__________________
Aimless Factory
#21
spracks21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:58 PM #75
Matt.is.back2011
 
 
Matt.is.back2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by $h@key J0nEZ View Post
My original point was that fuel prices are a huge factor in the economy. That's what caused the recession. It's also why we are having such a hard time coming out of it. It will be some time before the country adjusts. If it ever happens at all.
I figured you'd get to your point eventually.

So instead of taking the L2k approach, I'm going to ask you to please provide sources and statistics for your beliefs.

1. Please show statistical proof that gas prices increase during times of war, and decrease during times of peace.

2. Please explain how gas prices caused the current global recession.
__________________
THE OHIO STATE
Class of 2011
Matt.is.back2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:13 PM #76
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff
 
TheSilentAssassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by $h@key J0nEZ View Post
My original point was that fuel prices are a huge factor in the economy. That's what caused the recession.
You can't just make a claim like that without providing any form of evidence.
__________________
“There are only two kinds of people, those who accept dogmas and know it, and those who accept dogmas and don’t know it.” – G. K. Chesterton - The Mercy of Mr. Arnold Bennett, Fancies vs. Fads
TheSilentAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:31 PM #77
Swerve22
 
 
Swerve22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Concord NH
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt.is.back2011 View Post
War is nothing more than a fiscal stimulus...hence why WWII helped drive the US out of recession...
Then why does Obama keep going on and on about needing to cut military spending in during the debates?
__________________
Butthurt Conservative.

www.gunfacts.info
Swerve22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:36 PM #78
Matt.is.back2011
 
 
Matt.is.back2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerve22 View Post
Then why does Obama keep going on and on about needing to cut military spending in during the debates?
Because of the latter portion of my post; apparently Obama is in agreement with my liberal economist professor.
__________________
THE OHIO STATE
Class of 2011
Matt.is.back2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:37 PM #79
$h@key J0nEZ
Paintball is dead
 
$h@key J0nEZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hollywood
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
You can't just make a claim like that without providing any form of evidence.
I'm not providing anymore evidence for the blatantly obvious. The chart I posted clearly shows corresponding gas prices going up at the same times the wars in Iraq started. If you can't put two and two together to figure out the effects from that on the country's economy then I can't help you. I'm not in anyway denying the housing bubble's effects on the economy in 2008, but that only compounded a recession that was already there. The heart of the matter is oil prices. Oil prices are what caused Detroit to fail. The American auto industry was way to slow bringing fuel efficient cars to the market. Instead opting to continue the trend of making gas guzzling SUVs and sports cars. Also don't forget about the rising oil prices spurring the trend of outsourcing jobs which was hurting the auto industry already.
__________________
$h@key J0nEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:40 PM #80
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff
 
TheSilentAssassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by $h@key J0nEZ View Post
I'm not providing anymore evidence for the blatantly obvious. The chart I posted clearly shows corresponding gas prices going up at the same times the wars in Iraq started. If you can't put two and two together to figure out the effects from that on the country's economy then I can't help you. I'm not in anyway denying the housing bubble's effects on the economy in 2008, but that only compounded a recession that was already there. The heart of the matter is oil prices. Oil prices are what caused Detroit to fail. The American auto industry was way to slow bringing fuel efficient cars to the market. Instead opting to continue the trend of making gas guzzling SUVs and sports cars. Also don't forget about the rising oil prices spurring the trend of outsourcing jobs which was hurting the auto industry already.
lol, not worth it
__________________
“There are only two kinds of people, those who accept dogmas and know it, and those who accept dogmas and don’t know it.” – G. K. Chesterton - The Mercy of Mr. Arnold Bennett, Fancies vs. Fads
TheSilentAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:43 PM #81
$h@key J0nEZ
Paintball is dead
 
$h@key J0nEZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hollywood
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
lol, not worth it
No balls
__________________
$h@key J0nEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:48 PM #82
Matt.is.back2011
 
 
Matt.is.back2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by $h@key J0nEZ View Post
I'm not providing anymore evidence for the blatantly obvious. The chart I posted clearly shows corresponding gas prices going up at the same times the wars in Iraq started. If you can't put two and two together to figure out the effects from that on the country's economy then I can't help you. I'm not in anyway denying the housing bubble's effects on the economy in 2008, but that only compounded a recession that was already there. The heart of the matter is oil prices. Oil prices are what caused Detroit to fail. The American auto industry was way to slow bringing fuel efficient cars to the market. Instead opting to continue the trend of making gas guzzling SUVs and sports cars. Also don't forget about the rising oil prices spurring the trend of outsourcing jobs which was hurting the auto industry already.

Correlation=/=causation, you know. Just because fuel prices were rising during the Bush years/times of war, does not mean that wars cause increasing fuel prices, nor does it prove that the rise in gas prices themselves caused the global recession.


Also, this:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...oil_production


Iraq only makes up 3.75% of the world's oil production, and is 6th in OPEC for oil production.



And, this:http://www.indexmundi.com/energy.asp...h=productio n.

So your claim that destabalizing Iraq (through war) caused a spike in fuel prices isn't really true; the only time oil production from Iraq ever changed was in the formative years of the War, but since 2005 things have basically been status quo...



Gas prices have been rising steadily since the late 1990s, and yet it was not until late 2007 that the US officially entered into a recession. If gas prices cause recessions, why did it take so long to take notice?

Also, American automakers made a strategic decision in the early 2000's to abandon fuel effecient vehicles for larger, more 'fun to drive' ones. While Honda and Toyota saw record years in Sedan + hyrbid sales, they were utterlty getting destroyed in SUV and truck sales...between the two competing business units, the auto market essentially became a wash until 2006 and everyone was competing just fine.
__________________
THE OHIO STATE
Class of 2011

Last edited by Matt.is.back2011 : 10-23-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Matt.is.back2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:54 PM #83
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff
 
TheSilentAssassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
The recession started in 2007. Want to know what else happened in 2007? The Colts won the Superbowl. Therefore the Colts are responsible for the recession. "I'm not providing anymore evidence for the blatantly obvious" and I'm not going to provide any experts that believe this. "If you can't put two and two together to figure this out, then I can't help you."

Seewhatididthere? I'm not bothering because you have yet to make a real argument. Not because I don't have balls (also what are we? 12?).
__________________
“There are only two kinds of people, those who accept dogmas and know it, and those who accept dogmas and don’t know it.” – G. K. Chesterton - The Mercy of Mr. Arnold Bennett, Fancies vs. Fads
TheSilentAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:14 PM #84
Umami
AFK IRL
 
Umami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Laniakea
Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by $h@key J0nEZ View Post
Gas prices have always been affected by war and instability in the Middle East.

Edit: Take a guess when the Gulf War happened.



I see maybe a little itty bitty spike when the war started, beyond that you're making **** up. If anything exports stabilized.
__________________
Yeah, well, that's just like, your opinion, man.

I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump