Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-22-2012, 02:54 PM #1
Yellohman

Us Army Project Salvo Comparison and thoughts

Well I'm looking to purchase a new gun, and I wanted something a little realistic looking. I'm currently looking at the Us Army Project Salvo marker, but I can't decide between the "designated marksman" version and the "sniper version" as far as I can see the only difference is the barrel length and foregrip vs. bipod. here are the links. Please give me some feedback. Does the longer barrel give it more range? or is it just for looks. If so then the designated marksman one would be more practical imo. But I wanna hear what you think
Edit: Or should I get a stock version, since it looks like hopper may get in way of the sight, buy a longer barrel and bipod grip and be good?

Last edited by Yellohman : 10-22-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Yellohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-22-2012, 03:06 PM #2
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 supports Empire
Just buy the basic model and upgrade it yourself. I would suggest a foregrip/bipod and a J&J or Smart Parts barrel. I personally like my Teardrop. Also, dont go longer than 14 inches. Better yet, if you want a realistic-looking gun, check the BST here and find a used SP-8.

Last edited by ElJefe13 : 10-22-2012 at 03:09 PM.
ElJefe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:09 PM #3
Yellohman

Yeah, I believe I'm going to go with the basic, but I don't understand what I need to buy hopperwise, especially if I decide I want to put a sight on it
Old 10-22-2012, 03:10 PM #4
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 supports Empire
For a mech like this, any shake and bake will do. I would suggest the Proto Primo, or a 50-round APP Hopper. You could also get the cyclone upgrade.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:11 PM #5
Yellohman

If so I would need to get the hopper itself, and then the feeder correct? and would I need to buy a rail to put a sight on it?
Old 10-22-2012, 03:18 PM #6
Yellohman

This is what I want, but switch out sight. but what hopper should i go with to keep that "sniper feel", I'm most likely going to purchase a small air tank to go with. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A3MOEA5B1IA06N
Old 10-22-2012, 07:28 PM #7
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
You think that's what you want now, but after you get the gun you may decide you want something different.

Start with the basic. Don't worry about the sight yet until after you get a feel for the trajectory of the ball. Paintballs travel in a pretty severe arc, so even with the adjustment maxed out on the sight you'll have to compensate for range. An ideal setup would have the ball hitting significantly higher than where the sight is pointed at close range, hitting right on at medium range, and hitting lower than the dot at long range. At extreme long range it's much too extreme arc so you'll just have to eyeball it. If you're not willing to do the mental calculations (he's at around 150 feet, aim 10 feet above his head, etc) it may not be the aiming technique for you. Like I said, get a feel for it first then decide is a sight is for you.

Not sure what barrel comes with that kit, but longer barrels don't help with accuracy (to an extent, way to short can be bad). Real firearms use longer barrels to get more velocity and thus more range (yes, that's really simplified). We all chrono the same, so no advantage there. And too long of barrel puts more drag on the ball, reducing velocity. I've seen setups with 20"+ barrels that couldn't get up to field speed, so they had LESS range than everyone else.

New Project Salvo's come with a hopper in the box, so you won't have to worry about that.

They are all around fun little guns. Get one, hit the field, then worry about accessories later.

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:14 AM #8
Yellohman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
You think that's what you want now, but after you get the gun you may decide you want something different.

Start with the basic. Don't worry about the sight yet until after you get a feel for the trajectory of the ball. Paintballs travel in a pretty severe arc, so even with the adjustment maxed out on the sight you'll have to compensate for range. An ideal setup would have the ball hitting significantly higher than where the sight is pointed at close range, hitting right on at medium range, and hitting lower than the dot at long range. At extreme long range it's much too extreme arc so you'll just have to eyeball it. If you're not willing to do the mental calculations (he's at around 150 feet, aim 10 feet above his head, etc) it may not be the aiming technique for you. Like I said, get a feel for it first then decide is a sight is for you.

Not sure what barrel comes with that kit, but longer barrels don't help with accuracy (to an extent, way to short can be bad). Real firearms use longer barrels to get more velocity and thus more range (yes, that's really simplified). We all chrono the same, so no advantage there. And too long of barrel puts more drag on the ball, reducing velocity. I've seen setups with 20"+ barrels that couldn't get up to field speed, so they had LESS range than everyone else.

New Project Salvo's come with a hopper in the box, so you won't have to worry about that.

They are all around fun little guns. Get one, hit the field, then worry about accessories later.
okay, I appreciate the input, I think I will go with what you said, see how its shooting, if I want a longer barrel I'll get one, same with sights, etc. Thank you !
Old 10-23-2012, 07:28 PM #9
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellohman
If so I would need to get the hopper itself, and then the feeder correct? and would I need to buy a rail to put a sight on it?
No, go check out Tippmann's website, they have a conversion kit for I think $65. It's expensive, but it can be worth if you shoot fast.