Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 09:33 AM #1
Lazarusrat
 
 
Lazarusrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Lazarusrat owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
DOMA going down is flames

In another step closer to the US Supreme Court the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals has ruled in favor of Edith Windsor and against DOMA.

appeals-court-ny-rules-gay-marriage-law-unconstitutional

I still can not believe people are still trying to defend DOMA... It has be ruled unConstitutional by every court that has heard the case. Gay marriage is coming, and no amount of bible thumping will stop it.
__________________
"If you prepare for the zombie apocalypse, you'll be prepared for all hazards," CDC spokesman Dave Daigle told Reuters over the phone on Thursday.
Lazarusrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:56 AM #2
barrel roll
secedere
 
barrel roll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: FL/GA border
barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
Too bad it was ruled unconstitutional for the wrong reasons.
__________________
--- UNDRPRVLGD Goggle Straps, Luxe n stuff ---
If this be treason, make the most of it.-Patrick Henry
I'm a damn veteran, I've got more rights and privileges than you do.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:01 AM #3
Swerve22
 
 
Swerve22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Concord NH
 has been a member for 10 years
Obamacare was ruled unconstitutional a lot before it hit the SC too and then it stood. What's your point?
__________________
Butthurt Conservative.

www.gunfacts.info
Swerve22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:07 AM #4
Iamamartianchurch
 
 
Iamamartianchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Damn.

Well on second thought. It does nothing anyway.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:42 AM #5
Lazarusrat
 
 
Lazarusrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Lazarusrat owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
Too bad it was ruled unconstitutional for the wrong reasons.
Really??? Just what would be the "right reason" if not this?

Quote:
Wiki quote Windsor Vs. US
In 2007, Edith "Edie" Windsor and Thea Spyer, residents of New York, married in Toronto, Ontario, after 40 years of romantic partnership.[1] Spyer died in 2009, at which time New York legally recognized same-sex marriages performed in other jurisdictions.[2][3] After Spyer's death, Windsor was required to pay more than $363,000 in federal estate taxes on her inheritance. If federal law accorded their marriage the same status as different-sex marriages recognized by their state, she would have paid no taxes.[4][5]
__________________
"If you prepare for the zombie apocalypse, you'll be prepared for all hazards," CDC spokesman Dave Daigle told Reuters over the phone on Thursday.
Lazarusrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:45 AM #6
barrel roll
secedere
 
barrel roll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: FL/GA border
barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
They claim 14th amendment, I say 10th whereas the general government isn't delegated that authority.
__________________
--- UNDRPRVLGD Goggle Straps, Luxe n stuff ---
If this be treason, make the most of it.-Patrick Henry
I'm a damn veteran, I've got more rights and privileges than you do.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:53 AM #7
Lazarusrat
 
 
Lazarusrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Lazarusrat owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerve22 View Post
Obamacare was ruled unconstitutional a lot before it hit the SC too and then it stood. What's your point?
Not totally true Swerve...

The individual mandate was ruled unconstitutional but because it isn't slated to become law until 2014 it gives the Obama administration time to appeal the decision and keep it in teh books. If the SC accepts the case the individual mandate will go in to effect in 2014 as planned until the SC makes a ruling. If the SC declines the case the ruling will stand and Obama care falls apart.

It's sort of like DOMA... It was ruled uncostitutional as well but is still in effect until either the SC rejects hearing the case and this ruling will stand OR the SC makes a ruling.
__________________
"If you prepare for the zombie apocalypse, you'll be prepared for all hazards," CDC spokesman Dave Daigle told Reuters over the phone on Thursday.
Lazarusrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:00 AM #8
Lazarusrat
 
 
Lazarusrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Lazarusrat owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
They claim 14th amendment, I say 10th whereas the general government isn't delegated that authority.
I agree with them on the 14th. In this case she was discriminated against because of her gender, if she or her spouce would have had a penis in their marriage t would have all been good and she wouldn't have had to pay $363,000.

If you argue the 10th you have to argue that Gov doesn't have the right to define mariage, which the IRS has already has for years.
__________________
"If you prepare for the zombie apocalypse, you'll be prepared for all hazards," CDC spokesman Dave Daigle told Reuters over the phone on Thursday.
Lazarusrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:06 AM #9
barrel roll
secedere
 
barrel roll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: FL/GA border
barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
The IRS didn't define it... they accepted the state's definition. Back when the IRS was first formed there were no marriage licenses, it was all common law marriages. States were to pay for their disabled veterans during and after the US Civil War, and instituted marriage licenses in response to spousal benefit fraud.

It still stands that:
1) the states determine who, when, how, and what prerequisites need to be met to marry
2) the general government holds delegated authority to determine anything covered in 1)


10th instead of 14th, because there are no other federal marriage laws.
__________________
--- UNDRPRVLGD Goggle Straps, Luxe n stuff ---
If this be treason, make the most of it.-Patrick Henry
I'm a damn veteran, I've got more rights and privileges than you do.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts

Last edited by barrel roll : 10-19-2012 at 11:13 AM.
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:24 PM #10
Lazarusrat
 
 
Lazarusrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Lazarusrat owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
The IRS didn't define it... they accepted the state's definition. Back when the IRS was first formed there were no marriage licenses, it was all common law marriages. States were to pay for their disabled veterans during and after the US Civil War, and instituted marriage licenses in response to spousal benefit fraud.

It still stands that:
1) the states determine who, when, how, and what prerequisites need to be met to marry
2) the general government holds delegated authority to determine anything covered in 1)


10th instead of 14th, because there are no other federal marriage laws.
Alright, I see why you could agrue the 10th. I still feel the 14th provides a better foundation for a lawsuit though.
__________________
"If you prepare for the zombie apocalypse, you'll be prepared for all hazards," CDC spokesman Dave Daigle told Reuters over the phone on Thursday.
Lazarusrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:33 PM #11
Umami
Paragon
 
Umami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Inside the Beltway
Umami supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
The IRS didn't define it... they accepted the state's definition. Back when the IRS was first formed there were no marriage licenses, it was all common law marriages. States were to pay for their disabled veterans during and after the US Civil War, and instituted marriage licenses in response to spousal benefit fraud.

It still stands that:
1) the states determine who, when, how, and what prerequisites need to be met to marry
2) the general government holds delegated authority to determine anything covered in 1)

10th instead of 14th, because there are no other federal marriage laws.
Unfortunately for this argument, the equal protection clause within the 14th amendment gives the federal government jurisdiction over whether the states' definition is fair to all citizens.
__________________
I've got eight slugs in me. One's lead, and the rest are bourbon. The drink packs a wallop and I pack a revolver.

SOG
I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:49 PM #12
drgonzo
Half-cocked
 
drgonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Still think it's hilarious that this law is called DO MA
__________________
PUMPPB.COM TIGHTSTICK BARREL - Custom LAPCO 1-piece .681 14" barrel w/ 10" control bore! Awesome for PUMP (and semi too!) Sale!
PUMPPB.COM - Pump paintball forums
HawaiiPB.com - Paintball forums for the state of Hawaii
HawaiiPB/PumpPB - Our videos | Droidtiles.com - NFC Tags for Android and mobile devices
drgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:57 PM #13
Umami
Paragon
 
Umami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Inside the Beltway
Umami supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umami View Post
Unfortunately for this argument, the equal protection clause within the 14th amendment gives the federal government jurisdiction over whether the states' definition is fair to all citizens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
10th instead of 14th, because there are no other federal marriage laws.
Oh, I see your point. For some reason I wasn't making the connection that DOMA was federal. So you'd use the 10th to strike down DOMA, the 14th to strike down any similar state laws and require that states grant licenses. Makes sense.
__________________
I've got eight slugs in me. One's lead, and the rest are bourbon. The drink packs a wallop and I pack a revolver.

SOG
I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.

Last edited by Umami : 10-19-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump