Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-02-2012, 01:35 PM #1
Big_joe

Kellys Heros Tanks

For anyone who is interested we now have a facebook team page. We have several pics and a few vidoes. We will posting more pictures and video of how to build a paintball tank. If you veiw our page and itplease click the like button. Thank you and have a nice day.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ke...00258983322811

Last edited by Big_joe : 07-02-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Big_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2012, 05:56 AM #2
dorsai

has been a member for 10 years
dorsai posts videos on PbNation
Here's a short clip featuring those mini Sherman tanks
which took part in the 2012 Oklahoma D-Day Event.

Looking for a good time, join us for D-Day 2013. For
more details visit http://www.ddaypark.com

Enjoy!
Office: 407.563.3884
Cell: 239.410.9632
Email: ADorsai@aol.com
dorsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:18 PM #3
dorsai

has been a member for 10 years
dorsai posts videos on PbNation
The Allied Armor Corps, in concert with the CEF
want to invite all tankers to come and join their
ranks for the 2013 Oklahoma D-Day Event.

Come and be a part of the world's largest tank
on tank battle and learn what it means to have
players who've been taught how to work with
tanks covering your back, rather than leaving
you to fend for yourself.

For more details, drop me a line or give my
office a call.

Sincerely,
Office: 407.563.3884
Cell: 239.410.9632
Email: ADorsai@aol.com
dorsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:25 AM #4
Big_joe

Tank Commander
By: Rob "Tyger" Rubin
Photography: Michael Neveux
Tuesday January 29, 2008

[IMG][/IMG]

I can still remember it, even though it was more than 10 years ago. I was on base guard duty with about 20 other guys. I heard the whine of an electric engine, and it was revving hard and loud. I looked over to my right and saw the dust cloud of the trail being kicked up. I didn't need to see anything more. I knew what was coming.

[IMG][/IMG]

"TANK!" I dove over the wall of the base moments before the tank rolled around the corner of the trail at top speed. I heard paintballs barrage the wall I had been using as cover just seconds before and a lot of my slower teammates screaming "HIT" as loud as they could. Then I heard something like a burst-disk from an air tank blow off. I looked over the wall and saw a ref chasing the tank down to call it out of the game. A few minutes later, the other team started the fort assault. We didn't stand a chance, as there were only five of us left.

This was pretty much my introduction to "mechanized paintball." Since then, I've had the opportunity to play in a tank, as well as around several more. Adding heavy armor to the mix of paintball games puts a twist on things that can make it heavy-handed. If you have a tank and the other team doesn't, you stand a better chance of winning the day. Your paintgun can be the ultimate electronic paint-slinger, but a tank can and will simply obliterate you.

[IMG][/IMG]

In paintball terms, a "tank" can be anything from a man-powered cage on wheels to a full-blown Panzer replica built from a 4x4 truck. Tank drivers are a unique bunch: part motorhead, part airsmith, part driver and part sadist... and not always in equal parts. I couldn't possibly describe all of the tanks out there, but there are a few basic styles.

First is a "push tank," or sometimes called "PUGS" or a "Flintstone tank." These are basically a netted cage on wheels. I've seen a few without wheels but on metal skis, and one that was worn with suspenders, but most of the smart people put them on wheels.

[IMG][/IMG]

I did get a chance to be in a push tank the "Texas Rangers" made that three people can be inside at a time. What they did was build a PVC frame, enclose it with paintball-safe netting, hold it together with screws, install a braking system and firing ports, and make a tank that rolled through the castle gate at EMR. They also mounted a rocket launcher on the front to shoot at other tanks.

The beauty of these tanks is that anyone with some time, and a little money, can build one. They're light, surprisingly maneuverable, you can tear them down and pack them in parts, and when you work together you can sneak up on people because they make little to no noise. The downside is that you push the tank everywhere, meaning you're hiking all day. Hiking in an enclosed shelter, but you're still hiking. Plus, longer push tanks require everyone in the tank to work together or you're going nowhere.

[IMG][/IMG]

Another style of tank is an electric-motor tank; usually a golf cart or similar vehicle is sacrificed to make this tank. When you get to this stage, you're starting to drop a lot of money on the tank itself because you enter a whole new level of tinkering, but I'll get into that a little later.

The up side is, it's electric, so you won't be choking on gas fumes. Plus the design is made to drive around outdoors, so it's a nice platform. But it is a golf cart, so it won't be able to make it up some hills or across rougher terrain. And since you're on battery power, when you're out of juice you're done for the weekend. You can bring spare batteries, but those things get pricey. Plus you're limited in space due to the motor and chassis. You can fit a driver and a gunner, possibly two gunners plus the gear, but not much else.

[IMG][/IMG]

If that's not enough power for you, get yourself an old 4x4 truck, gut it and make a tank out of that. This is the case for the Armored Fist "Panther" tank that Dawn and TJ drive that I spent a weekend in. Power? Oh yes, there's power. Nothing quite matches a 6-cylinder gas-powered engine to announce "WE'RE HEEERE!!!!" as you rev it up. And with four-wheel drive, where you're going you don't need roads. But there's a downside, and that's gasoline. If you don't route the pipes right, you're choking on fumes back there. And even if you do route the pipes right, you still get fume backdrafts. Your gunners may come out of the tank a little loopy.

Not to mention that if you're not a skilled driver, you can trap yourself on the field. Tanks based on cars or trucks are large in capacity, but also in surface area, too. You can take a turn off a trail and end up hooked on a tree at best, or with two wheels in a ditch and the chassis on the ground at worst. Even on trails, you can easily trap your tank in a corner that you can't back out of, or drive through because of the turning radius of your vehicle. So if you go this route, be ready to spend a lot of time practicing your off-road driving skills.

[IMG][/IMG]

You could build a tank on anything if you had the time, desire and money. Special Ops "Razorback" tank is an old military vehicle, and I was told at the LI Big Game they were damn near bunkering people in the tank. Go-karts, a Segway, whatever you want to spend money on could potentially be a paintball tank. A lot of tankers will tell you that the vehicle is nothing more than a hole in the woods into which they pour a lot of money and spare time.

Tanks have special rules that they have to obey when they play. In 1996, there were no speed regulations. But after a number of near misses, it was decided there needed to be a speed limit of human walking or jogging speed. What safety rules are in play are wholly dependent on the scenario you're playing, and the rules they're using. For example, one game requires tanks to have a "kill switch" on them, so a player could, in theory, shoot a paintball into it and stop the tank. In practice, they place the kill switch in a box and the hole to hit the switch is .75 inch across. Plus the switch is in the back of the box, so it's an impossible shot. Not that I'm naming names here or anything.

[IMG][/IMG]

Players also need to know the rules of tanks as well. One rulebook states that tanks have a 20-foot "halo" in which no players can enter. This is so nobody gets run over. Rules may also require a "walker" to go with the tank to act as the tank referee. But most importantly for players outside the tank, almost all the rulebooks state that all players inside a tank can not be eliminated with a paintball. You can only eliminate them by killing the tank.

Translation: Shooting a tank gunner with paintballs serves no purpose other than to make them very mad at you. And they have more paint than you do, and they will use it. This also means that you can't run up to a tank, jump on top of it, and shoot through any opening that you see and blast people point-blank. Nor can you run up to a tank, open a shooting port and blast the tank gunners point-blank. You also can't can throw smoke grenades into a tank to "smoke them out" or paint grenades to "kill 'em all."

[IMG][/IMG]

This isn't a war movie, so get over it. Most of these rules exist for your safety, and their safety. Nothing will ruin a good weekend of paintball more than knowing that your actions almost caused five people to choke to death and almost started a vehicle fire because you threw a hot-burn smoke grenade into a tank with old carpet on the floor. Learn the rules, stick to the rules, and everyone is happier.

Knowing all the rules is important, because the rules will also provide for how to take a tank out. Most of the time it requires either a grenade of some kind, or a rocket. Rockets are air-powered cannons that launch a "mini nerf football" at 220fps maximum speed. And yes, a lot of players have these now. They're quite fun to shoot, actually. Big cloud of CO2, loud noise, screaming and hollering, it's like a miniature rock concert without the cool music.

For all the cool factor of a tank, they're surprisingly vulnerable. It only takes one grenade or one rocket to kill a tank. And since tanks can only travel on trails, or at least only in areas that they can fit through, one sneaky guy in the weeds can kill a tank from 30 feet away or more. The problem with tanks is that you can't easily see your surroundings, partially because of all the yahoos shooting you with paintballs in an attempt to drive you away (which never works, by the way). But mostly tankers' visibility is limited because of all the safety stuff in the tanks. Sure, you can see 360 degrees around the tank, but ask someone who's concentrating on seeing the trail to find some guy in a ghillie while driving. Try playing paintball in the car with your goggles on while driving and you'll see what I mean.

On second thought, don't. Please.

to see the rest of the artical goto

http://www.splatmagazine.com/article...Tank+Commander
Big_joe is offline   Reply With Quote