PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-08-2012, 02:59 AM #1
fallen_dawn
Roaaaarr

fallen_dawn has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Woodsball/Scenario Pants

Probably been asked somewhere before (couldn't find it when searching), but what pants do you guys generally like to use when doing scenarios or just general woodsball.

I'm looking for something not too hot (breathable), become summers a *****, but is fairly sturdy, has some padding for the knees, decent pockets and some nice camo. Anything under 200 bucks should be right, not that I've seen anything more expensive really for what I want, having something that matches a top/jersey would also be great.

Right now I'm being drawn towards the Planet Eclipse HDE Pants (in which case I'ld probably also get the Jersey), seem to get good reviews and have everything I need - anyone have any experience with them? The Dye Tac Pants also looked alright, albeit expensive for the impressions they seem to get. I guess I should possibly wait until the world cup before any decisions, because new gear is generally announced then right (and with it hopefully a new series of Dye tac gear)? Fairly new to paintballing seeing as the minimum age limit here is 15 (16 now) and its price in Aus makes it a once-a-holiday event for me and my friends, but I'm looking for some nice gear to avoid wearing those darn overalls that they provide with rentals
fallen_dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2012, 09:04 AM #2
Gyvanth
That Awkward Guy

Gyvanth has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Gyvanth has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Gyvanth has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Well if the price to go makes it a once-a-year event, then save your money by buying old military BDUs and use the money you saved to go paintballing.
Gyvanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:55 AM #3
Boom Master
Scenario Player

For Woods Ball, Winter Weight BDUs ($30 ) over Jeans will repel 90% of the thorns and protect the family jewels adequate. Hot but works for me. You can modify the BDUs at the knees. They have a double thickness knee you can open the top and insert a hard foam pad for added knee protection. I still rip out the knees playing and have to patch or replace the outer layer. But I still have a pair of knees at 63 years old.... The premium paintball knee pads STILL wind up below my knee after squatting and crawling around a bit.

If you are looking for good camo, I have used this for 10+ seasons of scenario play plus Archery Season. Quite happy with how well it has held up.

RedHeadŽ Leafy 3D Camo Suits for Men $50 Dollar wise, I doubt you can beat the price for camo. That is both top and bottom.

It is on a open MESH screen-like fabric that is not the least bit hotter over what you are already wearing underneath. Weight Nothing. Buy it oversized if you want to wear warmies under it for colder weather play or hunting. Too long is not bad as it covers your boot tops. Just add rubber bands to the elastic cuffs and let the extra length roll down over your boot tops.

I have yet to play paintball at a scenario game where they called it a "ghillie suit" where any hit is a kill shot. Always played with the "Break Rule". However, I get quite a few more bounces than regular BDU camo.

Has an attached HOOD as well so no need to buy head cover except for the face. I have STOOD behind a 10 inch tree trunk and had an entire 5 man squad walk right by me at 20 feet. They were shooting the bull and not paying attention at all. I was lying behind a 20" log and a guy LITERALLY stepped on my leg when he swung his leg over it. Kept right on going.

One bit of downside. If you crawl around a lot, that drawstring waistband won't cut it. You will crawl right out of it. I added a set of suspenders and solved that problem.

http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Leafy...duct/10203171/

My bazooka plumbing is the 'humpback'

Invisible in brush:

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......

Last edited by Boom Master : 10-08-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:17 PM #4
Lazarusrat

Lazarusrat owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
You might want to look in to Valken's Zulu line.

Way better than BDUs for several reasons...
1. Mesh on the back of the legs make them cooler than BDUs
2. Stretch panels
3. Zippered front pockets
4. Built in knee and shin pads
5. Swab holder
6. Velcro and elastic waist

I've had mine for 2 years after upgrading from BDUs to ACUs. They have survied 3 scenario games, woodsball, and tons of speedball. To be fair though the only thing they lack campaired to regular sppedball pants is the crotch panel is barely padded.

(also before you buy the Dye pants read the reviews about them)
Old 10-08-2012, 10:35 PM #5
theVicious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarusrat View Post

2. Stretch panels
5. Swab holder

I've had mine for 2 years after upgrading from BDUs to ACUs. They have survied 3 scenario games, woodsball, and tons of speedball. To be fair though the only thing they lack campaired to regular sppedball pants is the crotch panel is barely padded.

Vtac pants are the best, hands down. They breathe well, but have lots of padding and LOTS of camo. The sierra line is lighter and will probably breathe better, but I don't have experience with them.

Also, the BT line is good. Solid and reliable pant, and even the high end version breathes well. The eclipse pants are heavy and don't breathe well, I'd avoid those unless you really like the pattern. They're quality made, just no breathing and an ugly camo pattern.
theVicious1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:00 AM #6
fallen_dawn
Roaaaarr

Thanks so much for the replies,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyvanth View Post
Well if the price to go makes it a once-a-year event, then save your money by buying old military BDUs
I try and go once every quarter of a year, will probably go more in the future though so I'ld rather spend a bit more money on other pants. One of the main reasons I can't go much is my friends never have the money to spend D:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Master View Post
For Woods Ball, Winter Weight BDUs ($30 ) over Jeans will repel 90% of the thorns and protect the family jewels adequate. Hot but works for me.
Really good info, but I don't think I could bear wearing anything quite that full on, especially in Summer. Looks awesome though, and if I end up going to more Scenarios when I'm older I'll definetly look into it.

Quote:
I forgot to mention those in my original post, they seem like a choice pants for many. The black knee pads on most of the patterns annoys me a little, although it wouldn't be really noticeable when playing and kneeling I guess. I also like the V-Tac line because of the tops which look great, so I'll definetly look into it further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theVicious1 View Post
Also, the BT line is good. Solid and reliable pant, and even the high end version breathes well.
I looked into the BT Pro Pants earlier, they also seem nice and thanks for the info on the Eclipse pants.

I think I'll wait a little longer and see what else is announced this year, then make a decision... Once again thanks for the responses :3
Old 10-09-2012, 01:20 AM #7
theVicious1

Valken stopped making the zulu pants with black knees a little while ago, mine do not have them and they look great. They also don't have black hip pads or black mesh venting either. My teammate has the older style with all those in black. They don't look bad, but I agree with you on the black not being preferred. most of the "camo" speedball pants always have too much black. See pick below for what it looks like.

They have zippered pockets, a swab pocket, expandable cargo pockets, draw strings, and a great adjustable waist. Lots of good features, and really the best out there. If I didn't want to afford these I'd get the sierra.

Last edited by theVicious1 : 10-09-2012 at 01:24 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:49 AM #8
fallen_dawn
Roaaaarr

Ooooh right in that case it makes it a lot more appealing. I wish they would update the pictures on their website seeing as that's the case xD

Those are the woodland style pants right? The features they do have are great, so thanks for your help (y). Now I just need to decide on which camo looks/suits the best... I'm personally tossing up between their V-Cam pattern and Woodland, although in the end for most of the games I play the camo wouldn't be a huge factor really. Either way, thanks for your help

For reference the type of environment the main field I play it is like is:

Old 10-09-2012, 02:56 AM #9
theVicious1

Based on those pics the vcam or marpat would probably be best. The vcam is a little light, but will go with the dead foliage on the ground. The marpat uses yellow and green, which would balance well amidst the live and dead/green and brown growth.

Either one won't be bad.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:24 AM #10
stevebski
< Kris Williams is HOT

stevebski supports Bob Gurnsey
stevebski supports our troops
Quote:

2. Stretch panels
5. Swab holder

This. Valken Zulu pants are WELL worth the price tag.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:47 AM #11
bowgster
RSK

Annual Supporting Member
bowgster is playing at Living Legends V
bowgster is playing at Living Legends VI
bowgster owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
bowgster posts videos on PbNation
bowgster has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
bowgster has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
i dont have any experience with the vtac products, but the valken products i have used seem to be a little flimsy
bowgster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:43 AM #12
fallen_dawn
Roaaaarr

From the reviews of the V-Tac pants, although some people seem to suffer from rips/tears after a while, it seems to last others alright. I don't go paintballing very regularly so I think they could last me a decent period of time.

And thanks Vicious, when I get them I'll probably end up going V-Cam, even though it is a bit light I really like the look of it :3
Old 10-10-2012, 03:09 AM #13
theVicious1

Yeah, the marpat is probably very effective....but it's pretty ugly.

Don't worry about the scrapes and tears. They'll last plenty long to warrant the purchase.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:08 AM #14
Lazarusrat

Lazarusrat owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
I would go with woodland or marpat instead of vcam based on your pictures.

Here's a video a guy took at the last scenario game I played in so you can see how the Vcams look in the field after 2 years of wear.

Go to 3:40 and again at 5:28. Where I play the Vcam works great but as you see the dominant color is brown and tan.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:05 AM #15
fallen_dawn
Roaaaarr

Quote:
I would go with woodland or marpat instead of vcam based on your pictures.
Alright, thanks for that, nice to see one in the field a bit. Although not in my pictures, some of the fields around here are like that (deadish grass colour >.>), in general there are pretty varied landscapes in the couple of fields I go to. I'll keep it in mind, but I rekon due to the variation I may stick with V-Cam, but I'll mull over it for a bit
Old 10-11-2012, 01:19 PM #16
CallsignMagic
Warlord

CallsignMagic has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
CallsignMagic has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
CallsignMagic has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Personally, I prefer ACU combat pants. They have plenty of pockets, inserts for knee pads, and work great in the woods. If they're rugged enough to for our troops to wear them into combat, they'll work just fine for scenario games.

Tip: Don't buy used from a surplus store or you'll risk them tearing, velcro coming off, etc. I bought my first two like this and they both ripped out in the crotch after a weekend or two of rec ball. My next pair was bought brand new and has held up for months. Even new they're a fraction of the cost of actual paintball pants.
CallsignMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:27 PM #17
robf88
Berserker

robf88 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
robf88 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Personally, I always used old BDUs until I got into speedball and then would just wear some of my black speedball pants with some of my camo tops just b/c most of the guys I play with don't go all out with camo when playing woodsball.

That being said, I just got a pair of Planet Eclipse HDE's and love them so far! Also, I managed to get them off of the B/S/T here for a 100 bucks and they were practically new, so if you are trying to stick to a tight budget look around on here!
robf88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:26 PM #18
MannyFresh87

MannyFresh87 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
if you havent picked any up already i would pick up the VCam pants and Jersey. if your intrested i have an extra pair i was selling

http://www.gisportz.com/
MannyFresh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:06 AM #19
Give Her The D

I honestly use 10 dollar Walmart pants. Last long and cheap if you have to replace them.
Give Her The D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:49 PM #20
eclipsedude9302 (Banned)

eclipsedude9302 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
eclipsedude9302 supports Team VICIOUS
eclipsedude9302 is for the Gunfight
i would go with the v-tac stuff there stuff is grate you get camo mixed with paintball pants and all the venting
eclipsedude9302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:39 PM #21
dorsai

has been a member for 10 years
dorsai posts videos on PbNation
Paintball clothing is ok, but I've always found that
the mil-spec stuff was very durable as well. One
of the patterns we found that worked well down
here in SW Fla was 'French Lizard.' Has some
rust, mixed in with several shades of green.
Another excellent pattern is the one used by the
German forces, which is also a lot like what some
of their forces used in WW II and I'm not talking
about the 'rain' pattern.

to bad no one offers a reversable pattern, one
for summer and another for winter.
Office: 407.563.3884
Cell: 239.410.9632
Email: ADorsai@aol.com
dorsai is offline   Reply With Quote