Deadlift form check

Give me some criticism.
BombMarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2012, 06:21 AM #2
hsilman
Disgustipated

it's called a deadlift for a reason. stop bouncing it, it will make you weak off the floor.

stop rolling the bar in towards you, it makes your setup inconsistent. Almost everyone who does that is:

1) strong already
2) so huge that they have trouble getting down to the bar. Rolling helps them do this.

See how your hips rise before the bar starts moving upwards? That means you could get your hamstrings tighter than they are, improving the efficiency of the lift.

honestly, for isn't horrible, you keep your back in decent extension the whole time even with the bouncing. But you could definitely improve.
hsilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:50 AM #3
Lurker27
Engineering the Future

Annual Supporting Member
Lurker27 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Lurker27 posts videos on PbNation
Lurker27 has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
You're getting "over the bar" just a little bit, which saps strength. I'm sure BA will tell you that the fix to this is locking the lats in (I had missed this basically the whole time I'm deadlifting, and i think he's right).

By cuing more upper back tightness and thinking about pulling BACK even more than up, you'd get rid of that little bit of knee coming forward that you have.

All that said, your form is already safe and effective.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:11 PM #4
BombMarley

BombMarley is attending Decay of Nations VI
cool thanks guys
BombMarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:23 PM #5
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah

Notice how every single one of your reps looks different than the last? Fix that. We'll go from there.

Also, just watch tons of videos of really good deadlifters. Do what they do. Yeah, there's variation in everybody's leverages and technique, but you'll see the patterns.
Hate the Cowboys? Show it here.
black_angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:58 PM #6
]TSS[ Dake
Insight and Hilarity

I never post here, but two things that no one has seemed to have pointed out:

On your squat, when you dip down, I see a little bit of butt wink. Your tailbone is tucking down slightly, and it "breaks" the straightness of your spine. When your spine isn't straight, it loses tension and can lead to injury when you go heavier on your lifts. Box squats help a ton with this, and helped me clean up my form a lot in the last few months. Some people swear only by box squats to help with butt wink, others simply use it to correct form and move on.

On your deadlift, your lower back is arched a little bit before you lift the barbell. Try rolling the bar a half-inch or so further away from the middle of your foot, and then tuck your butt a little lower so that your shins touch the bar. That's when you should lift your chest to straighten out your back. Then, just lift your butt and shoulders at the same time.

Good job nonetheless.

Edited for wording.

Bats make the world a better place. To find out how and sponsor them, click here.
]TSS[ Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:08 PM #7
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah

I lul'd a little.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:11 PM #8
]TSS[ Dake
Insight and Hilarity

It's your back.

Bats make the world a better place. To find out how and sponsor them, click here.
]TSS[ Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:26 PM #9
paintballh00dlum
lightweight

paintballh00dlum has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
i always went off this
paintballh00dlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:41 PM #10
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah

IIRC, Rip teaches to have the shoulders in front of the bar at the beginning of the pull. I don't know a single top-level deadlifter that pulls like that.

EDIT: I do like that video, though, especially his comments on the foot placement.

Last edited by black_angus : 10-04-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:20 PM #11
hsilman
Disgustipated

I think Rip's setup advice is spot on in terms of good advice for consistency and your average gym rat. Also, I believe andy bolton has his shoulders in front of the bar.

I think it will take you to a 500+ deadlift just fine, and Rip himself says verbatim at that point you can "do whatever you want".

Honestly, I never even think about shoulders in front of the bar or how one would even be able to figure that out when setting up, unless you had a partner telling you. The mid-foot/inch from shins, touch shins, arch back, pull cues are good, and everything else is gravy. I think as you get more consistent and better at deadlifting, the distance from your shins that you put the bar can be adjusted in order to get yourself at your ideal torso angle, which manipulates the artifact of your shoulders in relation to the bar.

of course, you pull 150#+ more than me so....there ya go.

Also, the "chest up till hamstrings are stretched" followed by "pull back" cue are what keep my back flat and lats engaged. Dunno if they will help the OP.

Last edited by hsilman : 10-04-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:02 PM #12
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah

Where the shoulders line up will be dependent on everything else in your set up, really. You'll never see a good coach say "okay, start with your shoulders here, and then blah blah blah". The shoulder alignment is, essentially, the final piece of the puzzle.

The thing is, when talking about shoulder alignment, you have to realize that you are talking about the true shoulder joint. Many people tend to think of the front of the deltoid when they talk about this; this is incorrect. Your anterior deltoids can hang over the bar as much as you want. If you're a jacked mother****er, then your leverages shouldn't change based on you having some big ****ing shoulders.

I tend to suggest the shoulders being in line with the bar or behind the bar; this forces you to pull back and use your leverages in a more proper fashion. Dave Tate does a good job of explaining this concept in this video:

Last edited by black_angus : 10-04-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:05 PM #13
Pump Revolution
It is what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_angus View Post
Where the shoulders line up will be dependent on everything else in your set up, really. You'll never see a good coach say "okay, start with your shoulders here, and then blah blah blah". The shoulder alignment is, essentially, the final piece of the puzzle.

The thing is, when talking about shoulder alignment, you have to realize that you are talking about the true shoulder joint. Many people tend to think of the front of the deltoid when they talk about this; this is incorrect. Your anterior deltoids can hang over the bar as much as you want. If you're a jacked mother****er, then your leverages shouldn't change based on you having some big ****ing shoulders.

I tend to suggest the shoulders being in line with the bar or behind the bar; this forces you to pull back and use your leverages in a more proper fashion. Dave Tate does a good job of explaining this concept in this video:

You used image tags for the vid.

"Originally posted by Lurker27: inb4 pelt says you're still fat"
Pump Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:13 PM #14
hsilman
Disgustipated

Quote:

ftfy. Also, I see what you are saying, I still believe andy bolton's setup has shoulder forward and moving back as it passes his knees.

I also understand the anatomical reason behind rip's advice, having to do with the angle of the skeleton and the use of the lats.

In the end, I think it isn't worth thinking about, and I think rippetoe's setup advice is just the bee's knees, and that's all there is to it as far as my opinion goes.

edit: watched the video(skipping the sumo parts). imho, as you can tell from the sideview, the kid he was coaching had his shoulders in front of the bar every single pull. Even when he said to move them farther back, when he said it was good, they were still in front. I also think you're going to have a much more consistent setup and pull using rippetoe's setup since you aren't busy trying to keep your back set while getting to the bar.

Last edited by hsilman : 10-04-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:19 PM #15
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah

Thanks guys, I was wondering why it wasn't showing up. Derp.

As far as Andy Bolton goes, I honestly haven't watched much of his stuff, mainly because he is an insanely explosive lifter and his training doesn't relate to mine, because I am not an explosive deadlifter at all.

This is a slightly obtuse angle, but to me, it looks like his shoulders are right in line with the bar:

EDIT: Also, the main thing to know about the deadlift is that it, more than any other lift, is all about finding what leverages work for you. You can watch every ****ing video in the world about technique, but until you go out and do it, time after time after time, you have no idea what works for you. I've changed my technique several times, and I continue to tweak things. Find your best leverages.

Last edited by black_angus : 10-04-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:21 PM #16
hsilman
Disgustipated

let's just be friends, this be silly, and I don't feel like taking screencaps to fight an e-argument over trivialities.

let's all agree OP is not andy bolton, and he needs to improve his setup.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:32 PM #17
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah

...I was unaware this was an e-argument.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:36 PM #18
hsilman
Disgustipated

Quote:
...I was unaware this was an e-argument.
well, I just mean that I disagree with what you're saying. I think an analysis of the video will show that his shoulder joint is in front of the bar.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:57 PM #19
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah

I will try to find a better video to find out.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:05 PM #20
L.I.Caretaker

L.I.Caretaker is a Supporting Member
Here you go.....Im a superheavy class deadlifter,,290plus an I have a 835 dead in USPLA......
If you want a clean dead with great form then read on
Stance
1.Toes should be inline of your armpits..
2.Grip ,,thumbs on outside of Knees..

Lift
*** gotta stay low,,,,Break your lift into 3 parts
1st parts of lift is using lower back,,,As you break your knees start to strighten out hams,Pulling now with shoulders,As you break the top of knee Mid thigh you pull up on shoulders an stand..

Most lifters try to stright leg stand an then pull with all back...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUzZV...eature=related

ALLEN PAINTBALL COMPANY...
HABER......foging is not at Option
Cousins...PSI...Meadowlands...Ground Assault....Battle Creek
L.I.Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:35 PM #21
FHS JewFro
black AND white

Ill **** on 835, bro

"Originally posted by ']TSS[ Dake: You guys are ridiculous, haha. Thanks though, just tryna look like a shaved ape. And the half foot of height Lurk has in me will always make my physique less impressive :tup:"

"Originally posted by WorldStrike: Drop the ego. The weights on the bar will lie to you, the mirror never will."
FHS JewFro is offline   Reply With Quote