PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-10-2012, 03:27 PM #169
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahib_Stilgar View Post
I personnally don't like Starbucks coffee. I think it tastes burnt. And the stuff I buy at home is Pretty darn good (Kicking Horse).
Funny you should say that. I've been saying that for years. Have you ever looked in a bag of Starbucks unground (whole beans) coffee. There are all kinds of broken beans and pieces in there. I swear Starbucks buys the cheapest coffee (North American coffee industry has always been known to buy what's left after the Europeans coffee industry has bought the premium stuff) and then over roast (they even admit to over roasting) to give it flavour. While that is true, I can say the same thing if I over roast my steak and burn it. It will have more "flavour". It's just not good flavour. But Starbucks has done a great job of marketing themselves and they've got it to the point that there are all sorts of people out there that think their coffee is actually better coffee. Got to give them credit for that.

Gone way off topic now though and probably p'd off a few Starbuck's fans now too. Oh well.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-10-2012, 03:46 PM #170
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

I buy Keurig coffee because I have the machine. Starbucks "Veranda Blend" pods are pretty damn tasty, and don't taste burnt.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:41 PM #171
Tempted (Banned)

The last 7 pages are irrelevant. The bottom line is Horizon is taking extreme advantage of new players. Instead of capping each player to a bag or two and charging correct prices he gouges worse than any field I have ever seen and tried to justify it.

Stop being a dick and charge a reasonable price. If you want to limit paint, do it by limiting the amount of paint they can buy. You are doing nothing to help new players in the least. Nothing. You are ruining the average person's experience by making sure that only the wealthy can afford to play a full day of rec paintball. Your field is a blemish on the sport and you are an extortionist in telling them "either buy my paint at absurd prices or don't play".
Tempted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:06 PM #172
universal_dave
TIP#001

Annual Supporting Member
universal_dave is playing at Living Legends VII
universal_dave owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
universal_dave owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
universal_dave has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
universal_dave has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
universal_dave owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempted View Post
The last 7 pages are irrelevant. The bottom line is Horizon is taking extreme advantage of new players. Instead of capping each player to a bag or two and charging correct prices he gouges worse than any field I have ever seen and tried to justify it.

Stop being a dick and charge a reasonable price. If you want to limit paint, do it by limiting the amount of paint they can buy. You are doing nothing to help new players in the least. Nothing. You are ruining the average person's experience by making sure that only the wealthy can afford to play a full day of rec paintball. Your field is a blemish on the sport and you are an extortionist in telling them "either buy my paint at absurd prices or don't play".
Who says what the "correct" price is? Really? How well would any player *actually* take to the idea of "xxx shots and your day is done"?

The prices he's listed are cheaper than the prices when I started playing, and I was by no means wealthy and not turned off at all.

The players in the area have other choices at other price points, if he's *really* screwing them over, he'll be out of business soon enough.

In this nice internet capable world, *every* FPO location is telling the players "buy my paint at this absurd price or don't play", it's only a matter of degree.

Tim2Thousand4 is shady, his word doesn't mean anything. If you had a good experience with him, my opinion is that you got lucky.

GSL | CSL | SLS | SL8R | VCom | G6r | Insight | Victus | Lance #1
universal_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:11 PM #173
Tempted (Banned)

No, they are saying buy my paint or don't play, not buy my paint at an absurd price.

The correct price is what a box of paint retails for as an average. This is typically between 25 and 80 dollars per case.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:15 PM #174
Horizon

Quote:
I think the last 7 pages are only irrelevant if you read them with a closed mind.

Quote:
Oh gee, you got me. I hope my wife never reads this thread. She's going to be really pissed off that I'm working as many hours as I do at TNT and then have to work a second job as well. She's going to be even more pissed off when she finds out I'm making (how much did you say I was making again?), oh yeah, $28,000/month after expenses. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

I don't usually resort to calling people names, but you may in fact be a bona fide moron.

Last edited by Horizon : 10-10-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:24 PM #175
Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by universal_dave View Post
Who says what the "correct" price is? Really? How well would any player *actually* take to the idea of "xxx shots and your day is done"?

The prices he's listed are cheaper than the prices when I started playing, and I was by no means wealthy and not turned off at all.

The players in the area have other choices at other price points, if he's *really* screwing them over, he'll be out of business soon enough.

In this nice internet capable world, *every* FPO location is telling the players "buy my paint at this absurd price or don't play", it's only a matter of degree.
Thank you. And when one field out of three is growing at a much faster rate than the others, one could assume that maybe consumers feel they are getting good value. Otherwise why keep coming back and telling your friends about it. It's the same as any other business. It's all about the value. In paintballls case (and pretty much any other recreational activity) that translates into fun vs. dollars spent. Since the average player is spending about the same as they are at our competitors, one could assume that our customers are having more fun. We are not immune to the laws of economics. Businesses cannot escape them, including ours, no matter what all these internet business experts think.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:48 PM #176
Nahib_Stilgar

Quote:

7 pages of thought out discussion that doesn't conform to your ideas are not irrelevant.

No field will ever succeed by telling the customer they can only by X amount. Think about that.

Thats like saying: Walk into a corner store to buy a pop, one pop cost $1 but 4 only cost $2.75...Well that seems like a good deal! So you walk up to the counter with 4 pops and the guy at the till says "Sorry you can only buy one pop..."

What would your reaction be?
Nahib_Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:54 PM #177
universal_dave
TIP#001

Annual Supporting Member
universal_dave is playing at Living Legends VII
universal_dave owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
universal_dave owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
universal_dave has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
universal_dave has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
universal_dave owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Quote:
No, they are saying buy my paint or don't play, not buy my paint at an absurd price.

The correct price is what a box of paint retails for as an average. This is typically between 25 and 80 dollars per case.
I know plenty of folks who won't pay $.01 more for anything than they have to. They purchase everything they can online to avoid sales tax, they shop big box only and "mom and pop shop" means something to avoid. For them, any price for a case of paint that is more than the minimum internet price would be absurd.

Your idea of "correct price" is sweet. Really it is. I just spent the last 10 years of my life throwing an event which (for many potential attendees) was 4 or 5 times more expensive than they were used to paying for smaller events they regularly attended. Nothing was being run for profit, that's just what it cost (I have ridiculously extensive spreadsheets for our budgeting). There were definitely people out there who told me I was gouging them...they were sure it was true.

My experience is that folks who are *sure* what the price should be of something they're not responsible for providing usually have no idea of what it's costs or requirements really are.

You've yet to disabuse me of that opinion.

Tim2Thousand4 is shady, his word doesn't mean anything. If you had a good experience with him, my opinion is that you got lucky.

GSL | CSL | SLS | SL8R | VCom | G6r | Insight | Victus | Lance #1
universal_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:52 PM #178
Tempted (Banned)

I'm pretty sure that all of the others who commented on his price speaks for itself. I'm just the one with the time to explain why he is ripping people off.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:10 PM #179
Nahib_Stilgar

Except that you failed to do that.

You have succeeded in giving your opinion on the matter, which you are entitled to, but you haven't explained beyond reasonable doubt why he is in the wrong.
Nahib_Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:09 PM #180
gospeedgo1

with all the personal attacks and inflammatory statements, i am surprised this thread is not closed. it is not even on topic anymore.

how have you explained how he is ripping people off, by saying he should price his paint lower? where is your data on wholesale paint costs/insurance/wages/etc. for his area? Costs to run a business vary by state and country. Horizon's business model works, that is all that matters. you may not agree with it, but you know what they say, opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one.

i will agree with you guys, starbucks is not high end, you can easily taste the over-roasted beans. i prefer more fresh whole beans from local roasting companies. keurig sells an attachment allowing you to use your own ground coffee instead of the cups.

there are two fields in my area, entry costs are similar and are BYOP. even though i prefer woodsball, i go to the other field (recball, hyperball, airball) because the woodsball field is not run that well, and the experience (value) suffers.

Last edited by gospeedgo1 : 10-10-2012 at 10:17 PM.
gospeedgo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:40 AM #181
mise_1

Predator paintball in Salisbury is my home field with no entry fee, $15 for all day, and $36 for the cheepest case (DXS) I love it!
mise_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:09 PM #182
MikeBuckler
MBYF

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
MikeBuckler owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
MikeBuckler has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
MikeBuckler supports DLX Technology
MikeBuckler owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Lol you guys are lucky, closest indoor field to us is an hour away, @35 bucks for entry, 10 for air and 113 for a case of paint

Are you Canadian?
www.PB-Canada.com
Support it, help it grow!
MikeBuckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:10 PM #183
STLOutlawz

STLOutlawz plays in the PSP
STLOutlawz owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
STLOutlawz plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBuckler
Lol you guys are lucky, closest indoor field to us is an hour away, @35 bucks for entry, 10 for air and 113 for a case of paint
I don't know much about Canada but DAYUMMMMMMMMMM
Old 10-12-2012, 03:02 PM #184
MikeBuckler
MBYF

Annual Supporting Member
I don't speak for all of Canada, just my area. Anouilh 3 hours north of me prices are 65 case air entry

Are you Canadian?
www.PB-Canada.com
Old 10-12-2012, 03:52 PM #185
STLOutlawz

STLOutlawz plays in the PSP
STLOutlawz owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
STLOutlawz plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBuckler
I don't speak for all of Canada, just my area. Anouilh 3 hours north of me prices are 65 case air entry
Damn that's still a ton of keesh man lol
Old 10-12-2012, 04:01 PM #186
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

Mike, what's your area? My fields are WAY cheaper than that.

Sounds like you have another Horizon-type field owner.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:32 PM #187
MikeBuckler
MBYF

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLOutlawz

Damn that's still a ton of keesh man lol
Damn really? Lol I thought this was amazing deal

Are you Canadian?
www.PB-Canada.com
Old 10-12-2012, 04:35 PM #188
MikeBuckler
MBYF

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAKESNIPER
Mike, what's your area? My fields are WAY cheaper than that.

Sounds like you have another Horizon-type field owner.
Chatham kent the 113 case was a place in London I don't really want to say the name of the business. We kinda purchased our own field and do our own thing, but ill leave it at that because I know how touchy of a subject that is haha... Can you blame us with prices like that though?

Are you Canadian?
www.PB-Canada.com
Old 10-12-2012, 04:37 PM #189
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

You should try Flag Raiders in Kitchener, they're pretty reasonable.