Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 06:56 PM #1765
M3frontman
www.ranjerzproshop.com

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worr, the wee tot. View Post
While we're on the subject of things that are annoying as hell, I've got a relatively faint coolant smell coming from under the hood, and it's in the cabin when I crank the heat. No warning lights, no smoke coming from the vents, no drips that I can see, and the level is good (haven't lost anything yet). To be clear, the smell was present before I had the heat on, but turning the heat on brings the smell into the cabin. I ran it about 70 miles last night and there was no smell, then I went to the bank this morning and noticed the smell in the parking lot...hoped it was someone else, but nope.
which engine you got?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillonT View Post
thats what happened to my mustang when the heater core went :-/

and on subject of heat. my a4 has none... i hit 75* auto, like book says, the snowflake is always on, even if its like 40*. i never get heat. i can crank it up to 80* turn snow flake off, turn blower up. no heat. Both hoses going into the heater core are hot, so that means coolant is flowing through it, but i get no heat out of vents. Its starting to get cold in CT. any tips?

your heater core is plugged up. the way it sits and coolant flows it, it's just flowing in one hose and out the other (they're both in the same end tank) so it essentially self bypasses. you can try pulling both hoses and sucking the coolant out and filling it with CLR over night, it works from time to time for enough to get through a winter anyways. but inevitably, this:

I see now, I see."

Last edited by M3frontman : 10-09-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2012, 07:01 PM #1766
M3frontman
www.ranjerzproshop.com

also, this is what i've been doing this week:

he bent 29 out of the 30. both tensioner rollers and water pump locked up, idler roller came apart, belt was melted to the cover.

I see now, I see."
Old 10-09-2012, 07:03 PM #1767
Gazz
tempted owes me a harley

Gazz is a Supporting Member
bill for that job?
Old 10-09-2012, 07:03 PM #1768
M3frontman
www.ranjerzproshop.com

it's about to touch 8k.

I see now, I see."
Old 10-09-2012, 07:16 PM #1769
LeftHook
I hate having $$

LeftHook donated to help Peyton Trent
LeftHook is for the Gunfight
welp, now I see why I was told to quit *****ing about a stupid window regulator... jesus christ, what a mess.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:25 PM #1770
M3frontman
www.ranjerzproshop.com

this one was a fun one too. 2004 RS6, R&R transmission:

once that was out, the manifolds and turbos had to be removed to access the bellhousing bolts.

I see now, I see."
Old 10-09-2012, 08:43 PM #1771
DillonT
Do a wheelie!

DillonT is reppin' sidebar 4 life
DillonT has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
DillonT has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
DillonT has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
holy ****! thats some work. hope they pay you well.
ill try the clr. i was so excited that both hoses were hot, that it wasnt core anything else i can check? i THINK when i got the car, it had heat. i put a stereo in, but just a basic plug and play head unit. anything i could have bumped? and is it normal for the snow flake to always be on?
Old 10-09-2012, 08:50 PM #1772
Ynnekdude
Carpe Diem

Always have wanted an RS6... They are just so insanely difficult to work on and their maintenance is so regular & expensive. I still plan on getting one once I'm financially capable of maintaining one. Love what a sleeper they are.
"This is a hard job, and I'm not just saying this to win favour with lorry drivers. It's a hard job - change gear, change gear, change gear, check your mirrors, murder a prostitute, change gear, change gear, murder. That's a lot of effort in a day."

Russian Legion Fanclub #16
Old 10-09-2012, 09:34 PM #1773
M3frontman
www.ranjerzproshop.com

it's not really all that difficult to work on. just R&R engine for starter
or transmission
or coolant leaks
or turbos
or cats
or o2 sensors
or just about anything else.

the heater core is a 10 hour gig, i've done a few of them and finish up in between 4.5 and 6 hours.

the 3.0 heads were 25 hours, i've got like 15 in them and put 20 miles on it today.

RS6 was 32 hours, finished up in 16.7 or something like that with over an hour spent torching turbo to manifold and downpipe to turbo hardware.

snowflake on dash or snowflake on AC controls?

I see now, I see."
Old 10-09-2012, 09:45 PM #1774
Watermelondrea
Ridin' in that 'Gatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3frontman View Post
this one was a fun one too. 2004 RS6, R&R transmission:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...b/IMAG0309.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...b/IMAG0308.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...b/IMAG0307.jpg

once that was out, the manifolds and turbos had to be removed to access the bellhousing bolts.
do want rs6.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:24 PM #1775
Worr, the wee tot. (Banned)

Quote:
which engine you got?
TSI 2.0 (2009), my good sir.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:07 AM #1776
M3frontman
www.ranjerzproshop.com

water pump/thermostat housing. under the intake manifold, rear of engine above transmission/starter. plastic housing. it's driven by it's own little timing belt off the balance shaft and is a mother****er, but check there first.

I see now, I see."
Old 10-10-2012, 12:54 AM #1777
DillonT
Do a wheelie!

Snow flake on AC control whenever I hit auto. I don't have digital dash. I've done the thing to make AC control display codes but no idea what it means. Also, where should temp gauge be on dash?mines like a quarter before half normally. One of the things I'm doing in next couple days is a tstat
Old 10-10-2012, 01:57 PM #1778
LeftHook
I hate having $$

LeftHook donated to help Peyton Trent
LeftHook is for the Gunfight
Quote:
it's not really all that difficult to work on. just R&R engine for starter
or transmission
or coolant leaks
or turbos
or cats
or o2 sensors
or just about anything else.

the heater core is a 10 hour gig, i've done a few of them and finish up in between 4.5 and 6 hours.

the 3.0 heads were 25 hours, i've got like 15 in them and put 20 miles on it today.

RS6 was 32 hours, finished up in 16.7 or something like that with over an hour spent torching turbo to manifold and downpipe to turbo hardware.

snowflake on dash or snowflake on AC controls?
R&R the engine for o2 sensors. *faint*

Sweet jesus.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:24 PM #1779
M3frontman
www.ranjerzproshop.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillonT View Post
Snow flake on AC control whenever I hit auto. I don't have digital dash. I've done the thing to make AC control display codes but no idea what it means. Also, where should temp gauge be on dash?mines like a quarter before half normally. One of the things I'm doing in next couple days is a tstat
Temp guage should be right at 190, about dead center. Could be tstat, could be the half of the ect for the guage. Could also be your problem, although you should still have some heat eventually either way. IIRC the snowflake would mean the ac compressor is running.

I see now, I see."
Old 10-10-2012, 02:48 PM #1780
M3frontman
www.ranjerzproshop.com

Just got a ticket for an 06 a4 2.0t that slung the cam chain through the rear of the head. Pics soon

I see now, I see."
Old 10-10-2012, 06:47 PM #1781
DillonT
Do a wheelie!

Quote:
Temp guage should be right at 190, about dead center. Could be tstat, could be the half of the ect for the guage. Could also be your problem, although you should still have some heat eventually either way. IIRC the snowflake would mean the ac compressor is running.
alright. well ill see whats up with stuff once i start tearing in tonight.

any tips? this is everything im doing.
Timing belt, tensioner, and pulleys
Water pump
Tstat
1 Piece head light conversion with hid (only fun mod haha)
Spark Plugs
Valve cover gasket
Oil Change
Front Control arms and tie rod ends
Front and rear discs + pads
Transmission drain, fill, and filter
two rear axle seals, where they bolt to differential, and drain/fill of that.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:56 PM #1782
M3frontman
www.ranjerzproshop.com

yeah, hope you have the right tools to pump the trans fluid back through the drain plug. and vcds.

I see now, I see."
Old 10-10-2012, 07:55 PM #1783
TheNforcer
RIP DIO 1942-2010

TheNforcer plays in the PSP
TheNforcer owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
TheNforcer owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
TheNforcer has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Just got a ticket for an 06 a4 2.0t that slung the cam chain through the rear of the head. Pics soon
The guy I've become real cool with at the dealer got an FSI B7 A4 the other day. The cam follower wore all the way through, down to the pump stem, and tore off the "cap" on the end of the stem. That cap proceeded to get thrown through the cam chain housing, lol.

He also just got an oil consumption complaint on a TSI B8 A4, Audi OK'd 4 pistons and rings. He told me he can do em in 8 hours if everything is smooth, so I'm gonna hold him to it tomorrow, lol.
DMeyerspb #98
Planet Eclipse, Pittsburgh Paintball Sports Complex, DXS, FatBoy Pods, V-Force, Ninja Paintball, SkipsPics.net

XBL GT: TheEnforcer98
Drive German or Go Home, VAG Lover
Old 10-10-2012, 08:40 PM #1784
DillonT
Do a wheelie!

Quote:
yeah, hope you have the right tools to pump the trans fluid back through the drain plug. and vcds.
by vcds, do you mean vagcom? my uncle has a copy, and i think im getting it for my birthday on sunday too. what do i need that for?
and for all the research into transmission, ive never seen anything about pumping fluid back into trans... or anything about filling it either
care to elaborate? im not trying to play pro audi mechanic, just trying to get this stuff done, and i cant afford to take it to a shop. audi is a whole new world to me. im used to wrenching on my mustang

ok... so i have a pump i use to fill the manual trans in my mustang. seems like same concept here. pump fluid in until overflows. start car, with brake shift into every gear for 10 seconds, turn off, fill back up. done?

Last edited by DillonT : 10-10-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:45 PM #1785
volcomstone2262
Get it HONEY

volcomstone2262 is a Supporting Member
volcomstone2262 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Rob do this

Closed Thread