Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-08-2012, 08:54 PM #1
Freedy500

Freedy500 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
First good barrel kit suggestions would like to know.

Okay so since it is nearing off season next month I am almost done with my list of significant upgrades. I have gone down from an Xvalve w/ HPA tank to masks and now all I need is a barrel. I am posting this because I know plenty about mechs and some electros and many other parts of our sport but barrels and whats the best around here. I have only heard about freaks and they sound like the best. I am currently looking at this http://www.ansgear.com/Smart_Parts_F...nsertkitss.htm

Is this everything I need? I want to get rid of my J&J ceramic barrel since I dont even know its bore size and it shoots like crap. I have currently got range, BPS, and just about everything but accuracy for my gun. And I know someone will say it sooner or later but I am currently aware of the bad feedback of ansgear but I have got the time for off season.

Note: I currently shoot an automag with a ULE warp left body autococker threads with a Qloader (hater gon hate on Qloaders, I know) along with an X-valve. The paint I ALWAYS shoot is wrek elite paint. So give me your treasure trove of help nation!!!
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2012, 09:15 PM #2
lunatic209

Check Disruptive barrels. Best barrels on the market that are also inexpensive.
lunatic209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:37 PM #3
Freedy500

I have done some looking around and what about DYE ultralights and DYE cf boomsticks? those look nice. I am currently looking up disruptive barrels.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:42 PM #4
Freedy500

okay I am not sure what you are talking about as inexpensive but this http://www.disruptiveproductsinc.com...Kit_p/4001.htm
Is more than the freak I was looking at and it doesnt even come with nearly as much stuff. I am still going to look at it though. maybe my local shop has a pair I can test out.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:29 PM #5
t0ph3r89
DPF

t0ph3r89 supports DLX Technology
That link you posted to the Freak kit you're looking at is for only for the inserts. You'll need to tack on another $50 or so to actually get the barrel to go with them. So your view on the price needs to be adjusted. As for the amount of inserts that the Freak kit comes with, I can almost guarantee you'll never use any size above the .689.

I myself have been using a Disruptive Balance barrel for the past couple years on multiple different markers, just a .682, and it works great.

As far as full barrel kits go, I can only suggest barrels that have a longer back, so that would be the Critical 100g, either of the Disruptive barrel kits, Eclipse Shaft 4, and any other barrel with similar qualities. Freak inserts are too short for my tastes.
t0ph3r89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:31 AM #6
theVicious1

Annual Supporting Member
If you go with a freak kit check out the deadlywinds barrel. carbon fiber, accepts freak inserts, works great. You can pick up a FULL freak kit used on pbn or ebay. The empire superfreak is nice, lots of tips. But it only comes with 5 inserts and they charge you a premium for the kit.
theVicious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:35 AM #7
jsnp8nt
Gathering Storm

jsnp8nt owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
jsnp8nt owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
jsnp8nt has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
jsnp8nt has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Kits are great if you are traveling or live in a really humid area.
If you don't, then keep to a 2 piece barrel with a couple of smaller backs.
For the most part a .689, .687, .684 will be all you will probably use.
There are 4-5 different companies that offer great barrels.
I use Dye UL barrel, but know that Sly, deadly winds, and freak kit are great also.
If you go with the Freak, buy the barrel separate, and then get the inserts that you think you will need.
Once again, if you live in a humid area, buy the entire Freak kit.
It will allow you the most flexibility because paint can change during your day of play.
#9 of 19 PBX LV1
Lime Spire 260
Lime PBX 68/4500 a tank w/Ninja Reg
Visit www.pbbomb.com for the #1 field in Chicagoland
Proudly Sponsored by Virtue
http://www.virtuepb.com
jsnp8nt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:34 PM #8
Freedy500

Ok about the weather thing. I live in central ohio. I dont know if you have heard but the weather here is about as inconsistent as it gets. So I need the inserts. And does anyone know the average size of wrek elite paint? And I will check for a complete barrel kit. I might go for a dye ultralight 2 piece. But I talked to my shop owners and they all suggested either disruptive barrel kit (which is weird since I never have seen anyone use them or talk about them) or the freak barrel kit I posted up. Thanks for all of the help guys! Now all I need is some basic advice about barrels such as what to do to keep them in top condition and what the best kind of squeegee is.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:37 PM #9
Freedy500

oh and I think I will definitely get the full freak since my friend let me test out a techt barrel kit and he I had to change the inserts several times every few hours. This was in the summer of course.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:08 PM #10
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

If you had to change the TechT kit around all day, it won't be any different with the Freak kit, just FYI.

Also, a new barrel will not help with accuracy, only efficiency and consistency over the chrono (depending on bore size and paint quality, of course).
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:02 PM #11
Freedy500

I am not saying it wouldn't make a difference. I am simply saying that I will definitely need the different bore sizes.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:56 AM #12
Pson

Pson has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Pson has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAKESNIPER View Post
If you had to change the TechT kit around all day, it won't be any different with the Freak kit, just FYI.

Also, a new barrel will not help with accuracy, only efficiency and consistency over the chrono (depending on bore size and paint quality, of course).
Shocked you didn't state your lurker barrel comment here. I am even thinking of getting one due to your posts.
Pson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:21 AM #13
NJEmortal
The i3 Guy

Annual Supporting Member
NJEmortal is BST Legit
NJEmortal posts videos on PbNation
The only barrel kit I'll recommend to ANYONE, is the DW w/ Freak kit, and for a few good reasons. The fibur barrel is insanely light, 2.1 oz, and will accept 10 different freak bore sizes, .675 to .695. It's pretty quiet on both poppet and spool valve guns, and comes in multiple lengths, and thread types. Also, the resale on the kit is amazing.

NJEmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:32 PM #14
Freedy500

Thanks. I think I will buy just a freak insert kit for now and then a separate barrel after. I am just wondering one thing though. Why is ANSgear the only one that sells SS inserts? When I asked my local shop if its worth it to get SS instead of aluminum they seemed to think that freak stopped making SS inserts. and ANSgear is the only retail store I can find selling SS ones.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:37 PM #15
NJEmortal
The i3 Guy

Annual Supporting Member
NJEmortal is BST Legit
NJEmortal posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedy500 View Post
Thanks. I think I will buy just a freak insert kit for now and then a separate barrel after. I am just wondering one thing though. Why is ANSgear the only one that sells SS inserts? When I asked my local shop if its worth it to get SS instead of aluminum they seemed to think that freak stopped making SS inserts. and ANSgear is the only retail store I can find selling SS ones.
Honestly, I had aluminum inserts that I sold to buy the SS inserts, and I regret it. I don't see any difference in how they shoot, I always take good care of my stuff so I never bent an aluminum insert, and the aluminum inserts are A LOT lighter than the SS.
NJEmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:58 PM #16
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

Christian P is playing at Living Legends VI
Christian P is playing at Living Legends VII
Christian P has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Christian P is attending Decay of Nations VII
Here is what I rock (and what I'm adding to my barrel setup)...
1) Freak kit (8 insets but I only need 4 of them)
2) Freak back (autococker thread) with tear drop front for a 10" barrel
3) Deadly Winds 14" (what I'm looking to aquire this month) fibur barrel (takes freak inserts) to see if this will assist in longer (60'+ shots).

I've been eliminating many people at 50' or less in distance but there are some long shots I'd like to get better at and think that I can bennafit from a Deadly Wind barrel.

The total budget I had for my first freak insets and barrel was $100.

Once you have the inserts, the next barrel (or front) is much cheaper.
Christian P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:13 PM #17
Freedy500

Thanks. I do my best to take of my stuff but can never be to safe. besides my gun has been thrown off balance recently so I wouldnt mind some extra weight on the off side to help it out. I never knew Deadlywind was so high in quality yet good on price. I cant wait to buy. Although I wont be able to properly test it out with the off season coming up. As long as it doesnt affect performance then it truely doesnt matter to me. I go for performance no matter how little the improvement ahed of weight along with ease of use and durability.