PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-08-2012, 04:59 PM #1
big oak
infectious paintball

begining of the end for NPPL!!

with such a failure of an event it seems the the NPPL is on its way down hardly any vendors not many spectators very poorly ran event one samich at the players party a few beers really went out of your way to show us you guys dont really care thats the tip if the stuff that went on i wont get started with it all dont have time for it but seen lot of unhappy people and quote of a pro player there "this league is really going down hill fast" seem to hammer some nails in the coffin good job guys
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2012, 05:51 PM #2
H0St1LE

Pro tip : Learn to use proper sentence structure and grammar and people will pay more attention to you. The NPPL hasn't been what it was for quite awhile, it's called change and it's not such a monopoly anymore. Either way I had a good time playing and had no real problems except for extremely shotty reffing which is usual at any paintball tournament. The one thing I was kind of disappointed with was the lack of any access for people to watch who weren't playing or friends of those playing. Nobody off the street could walk in and watch without paying $10 for a grandstand seat and getting baked like a cake in the sun.

Last edited by H0St1LE : 10-08-2012 at 05:53 PM.
H0St1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:43 PM #3
jamest91

jamest91 helped look for balloons
jamest91 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
jamest91 is for the Gunfight
jamest91 supports Sherwood Forest
We never got this: "#1 Free Fresh Fruit and Bottled Water have been brought back by popular demand. ANSGear deserves our Thanks and Support for supplying players with this generous donation. I have not quite figured out how I am going to dispense the gifts to each team but I will let you know before our opening game."

Old 10-08-2012, 06:54 PM #4
Matthew_A_Steinman
RIP Gurpreet Singh

Matthew_A_Steinman owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Matthew_A_Steinman supports Team VICIOUS
Matthew_A_Steinman has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Matthew_A_Steinman has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Very true on the fruit and water... The event wasn't all that bad IMO. Of course there's always things that could be better and the scheduleing was pretty bad. From what I've noticed is teams that do bad complain and want to blame their poor playing on anything and everything else.
West Coast Sharks #177

Bring on Vegas!
USMC (eas'd) 0311
RIP CPL Gurpreet Singh USMC
ENDURING FREEDOM KIA JUN222011

SPRINGFIELD ARMORY XDM .40
Matthew_A_Steinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:02 PM #5
blackychan

blackychan owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
blackychan has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
blackychan has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Since that was my first time playing Vegas i was kinda curious. if thats what the turn out is always like? i mean there were alot of people, i just kinda thought there would be more. i dont wanna say i thought it was gonna be packed but. It just seemed duller than i imagined. am i off in this thought? only thing i can say is that NPPl might wanna make some updates to there webcast, in comparison
"We arenít out to take it in the *** from the first person who wants to give us a shinny new nickel. We arenít out to make the self appointed dick head team politicians famous. We are a team of players for the players. Our goal is to redefine the old ideas of how paintball should be played, even if it is just among a few." uprising nation
uprising support
PDX VEXX!!!!1st place 2012 NPPL World Champ D4 Race-to
PDX VEXX 2nd place WCPPL D4
blackychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:58 PM #6
Tim Kuykendall
Texas Renegades

It continues to amaze me that people want to ***** and complain but not offer any real suggestions or support for improvement. How many of you have ever managed a tournament? The issues in Vegas are the same as any local event, its just on a bigger stage.

They have opted to charge all spectators. That doesn't affect the quality of the event. When you mention ref issues be specific and give examples. However, keep in mind a ref doesn't determine if you win or not. If you play well enough you actually take the ref's out of the equation.

Scheduling is always an issue. I will say there are many times they should have a fourth field, have the fields clearly marked and a schedule, of appropriate size, posted. Small sheets with small print only add to frustrations.

Kept supporting the tournament and format. Offere suggestions. They have implemented several I have made over the years. I believe they are doing e best they can.

Any event is what you make of it. The NPPL has made great improvements from the previous years.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:31 PM #7
H0St1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackychan View Post
Since that was my first time playing Vegas i was kinda curious. if thats what the turn out is always like? i mean there were alot of people, i just kinda thought there would be more. i dont wanna say i thought it was gonna be packed but. It just seemed duller than i imagined. am i off in this thought? only thing i can say is that NPPl might wanna make some updates to there webcast, in comparison
Back in the day I'd say there was about 10x more people and vendors and about 7-10 fields, but that was probably 10 years ago. Paintball isn't as popular and probably wasn't advertised much. Honestly though, even if spectators off the streets stumbled into that parking lot, where were they supposed to watch from? There was not really any area for random people to sit and watch, which I think was a pretty large failure. Should have an area for people to observe who don't need any sort of wristband.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:39 PM #8
H0St1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kuykendall View Post
It continues to amaze me that people want to ***** and complain but not offer any real suggestions or support for improvement. How many of you have ever managed a tournament? The issues in Vegas are the same as any local event, its just on a bigger stage.

They have opted to charge all spectators. That doesn't affect the quality of the event. When you mention ref issues be specific and give examples. However, keep in mind a ref doesn't determine if you win or not. If you play well enough you actually take the ref's out of the equation.

Scheduling is always an issue. I will say there are many times they should have a fourth field, have the fields clearly marked and a schedule, of appropriate size, posted. Small sheets with small print only add to frustrations.

Kept supporting the tournament and format. Offere suggestions. They have implemented several I have made over the years. I believe they are doing e best they can.

Any event is what you make of it. The NPPL has made great improvements from the previous years.
Charging all spectator's does affect the quality of the tournament. Less public knowledge/interest = less money for the league = less competent reffing, less diversity in teams, locations of events, less support of players (like fruit and water, etc., things like that) & also leads to me having to pay more. $60 for an ID for 1 event more. Yes I understand they are "losing" money by not charging everybody, but that's false. You can still have the grandstands (get some shade next time please) and charge $10 a seat or whatever. That's fine. You need to have a space for the average guy walking the street to come and see, and you need some better promotion so that he's even aware of what's happening. Think about this : Average guy off the street whose never heard of paintball is walking down the strip bored. Sees a sign for "World Cup Paintball - See Pro's play" and decides to check it out. He loves it, goes home, researches a field (more money for local fields/events), gets some friends together, and registers a team next year for $1700. One guy who got to watch for free = $1700 in a year from now. Obviously that's long term thinking, but I think it's very realistic.

I can be specific with referee problems until I'm blue in the face, there's nothing that can be done about it really. Reffing in every sport is usually pretty bad, but it's still a problem. I can recall one very specific incident where I was playing my bunker and there was 3 of us against 4. I had one guy holding me from wrapping. I snapped and shot him in the face, saw the paint explode and screamed to check the guy (I never, ever yell for a player to get checked, so this was even a shock to me) and the ref, standing 10 feet from the guy, stood there with his arms folded and just stared at me and shrugged his shoulders). If the player would have gotten out I could have wrapped and probably would have won. Reffing can influence a game regardless of game play - that's like saying wiping isn't a problem. It is a huge problem and directly influences the game, regardless of how well you're playing. If you make an amazing shot and the ref refuses to check the guy and the guy wipes it.. what else should you do next time? Ref's calling players on the other team by their first name comes to mind as a problem also. I also got pulled for having rub from a bunker that was about the size of sliver of grass, honestly I couldn't see it without staring at my pack for 2-3 minutes. We got a 1 for 1 for a guy having rub from the turf, we had ref's telling our players off the break they weren't allowed to shoot or they'd get a 1 for 1.. etc. etc. I don't know how to fix this other then treat and pay the ref's better or spend more time finding competent one's. I remember when the ref's used to be random people off the street, obviously it's gotten better but you get my point.

Back when I was more into the NPPL (~8 years ago?) the scores were kept current at all times. We had to wait about 4 hours after Saturday finished to know if we made it so Sunday. We did, but we should have known immediately after game 8. We should have known exactly how many points we had or needed by game 7. In this age you think they'd be able to keep a scoreboard live and current. We did more with less before everybody had a cell phone.

I hardly feel I'm *****ing and complaining, but you can't fix a problem without pointing it out. I had a great time other than a few team disputes and not being able to practice much cause of work (therefor getting gogged like an idiot twice), but that's neither here nor there I saw no major flaws in the event other then the whole issue regarding spectating; sitting in the grand stands getting roasted looks pretty terrible!

Last edited by H0St1LE : 10-08-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:05 PM #9
tvise
USPN Hollister CA

tvise owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tvise owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tvise posts videos on PbNation
tvise has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Personally I was hoping for a better tournament...

It was great having 3 day VIP but it could have been more organized.

Never the less great tournament.

Last edited by tvise : 10-08-2012 at 09:20 PM.
tvise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:34 PM #10
big oak
infectious paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0St1LE View Post
Back in the day I'd say there was about 10x more people and vendors and about 7-10 fields, but that was probably 10 years ago. Paintball isn't as popular and probably wasn't advertised much. Honestly though, even if spectators off the streets stumbled into that parking lot, where were they supposed to watch from? There was not really any area for random people to sit and watch, which I think was a pretty large failure. Should have an area for people to observe who don't need any sort of wristband.
there was a spectating area behind the hot dog stand back by the tables found it at the end of the weekend but yes sun bake able area

Last edited by big oak : 10-08-2012 at 10:36 PM.
big oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:00 AM #11
dzy1

dzy1 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dzy1 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
dzy1 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
All I can say is there wasn't enough refs on field 3, only call i can complain about is after I bunkered a player, he turned and shot...it didn't hit me, but that should have been a penalty. Otherwise they are out there doing their best, they are human too and they make mistakes. Plus jumping between field 2 and 3 is a bit weird considering field 2 has a buzzer, and field 3 doesn't...they need to keep that consistent. Finally that field was SO slippery and so was the parking lot, I twisted my ankle cuz I couldn't stop and i saw several people slip and fall ...very unsafe.

Red & Black V3 Rotor http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4035482

Old Feedback:http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...hreadid=813886
dzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:22 AM #12
SilentAssasinHD
Edmonton Impact Echo

SilentAssasinHD is a Professional paintball player
SilentAssasinHD plays in the PSP
SilentAssasinHD has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
SilentAssasinHD has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
SilentAssasinHD has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Personally playing on field one and two, I can say the reffing was as fair as it could have been. MOST of the time, refs told you where you were hit when they were pulling you, or for what reason (penalties, etc). They allowed teams to use towels and such to help with the slick turf on center court, and even allowed sandbags to be used as starting blocks to aid you. The event is smaller than 10 years ago, but so is a lot of the industry. All players want something for nothing, its a given fact. Most people say they will pay their own way but still want everything to be cheaper. I know I do, and hey, sometimes its not. Do you know how much it costs to ship bleachers and grandstands to an event? That's not all rental property, thats shipped to an event, the NPPL should be allowed to recoup some costs based on that. Whats $10 bucks to someone who wants to watch a professional sport? Go to a Yankee's game, how much are your tickets? Im not saying paintball is that big, but its the sport we all love, and as a player, go watch in the pits instead, if you dont make sunday and want to watch, its $10 bucks... There are staff, referee's, grounds crew, port-o-johns, the NPPL DJ, Set up, tear down, etc. Thats not all free...Now most people bring up entry fee's, yes that does help but again, there are a vast # of expenses incurred with doing anything on the scale that the NPPL does. Everyone can say that the NPPL is dieing, but its not, its in a rebuilding phase. We have a bad *** new format which is more fun to watch, and in my opinion better to play than the original. Yes there could be more logistics involved to help with scheduling, but again, thats added cost to the league, and even adding another field, thats X amount of dollars for turf, more for netting and poles, more for ref's, more for bunkers.... Things add up. I am more than happy to support the NPPL because it supports the sport I love and does its best to make that happen.

And if anyone complains about reffing, go check out the NFL Replays last month...
Edmonton Impact #18
Edmonton Impact Echo #1
Empire Axe FS/T
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4385433
SilentAssasinHD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:35 AM #13
pbjtime5434

pbjtime5434 is playing at Living Legends VI
pbjtime5434 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
pbjtime5434 supports Team VICIOUS
pbjtime5434 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzy1 View Post
All I can say is there wasn't enough refs on field 3, only call i can complain about is after I bunkered a player, he turned and shot...it didn't hit me, but that should have been a penalty. Otherwise they are out there doing their best, they are human too and they make mistakes. Plus jumping between field 2 and 3 is a bit weird considering field 2 has a buzzer, and field 3 doesn't...they need to keep that consistent. Finally that field was SO slippery and so was the parking lot, I twisted my ankle cuz I couldn't stop and i saw several people slip and fall ...very unsafe.

this also happened to us. we had 3 guys up they had 2. our guy runs through kills both doesnt even GET shot at. they pull a 1 for 1 im alive in the back can. as im going to hang they flag EVERY ref on the field was in the middle going over the penalty. then they check me good hang everything. then my guy goes and asks why he got pulled / got a penalty and the head ref decided he didnt wanna make the call so he let another ref call it and he then changed the 1 for 1 to a 2 for 1 and called me on a dirty hang and drew the match
Old 10-09-2012, 12:43 AM #14
Eric99BL

has been a member for 10 years
Eric99BL is a Professional paintball player
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentAssasinHD View Post
Personally playing on field one and two, I can say the reffing was as fair as it could have been. MOST of the time, refs told you where you were hit when they were pulling you, or for what reason (penalties, etc). They allowed teams to use towels and such to help with the slick turf on center court, and even allowed sandbags to be used as starting blocks to aid you. The event is smaller than 10 years ago, but so is a lot of the industry. All players want something for nothing, its a given fact. Most people say they will pay their own way but still want everything to be cheaper. I know I do, and hey, sometimes its not. Do you know how much it costs to ship bleachers and grandstands to an event? That's not all rental property, thats shipped to an event, the NPPL should be allowed to recoup some costs based on that. Whats $10 bucks to someone who wants to watch a professional sport? Go to a Yankee's game, how much are your tickets? Im not saying paintball is that big, but its the sport we all love, and as a player, go watch in the pits instead, if you dont make sunday and want to watch, its $10 bucks... There are staff, referee's, grounds crew, port-o-johns, the NPPL DJ, Set up, tear down, etc. Thats not all free...Now most people bring up entry fee's, yes that does help but again, there are a vast # of expenses incurred with doing anything on the scale that the NPPL does. Everyone can say that the NPPL is dieing, but its not, its in a rebuilding phase. We have a bad *** new format which is more fun to watch, and in my opinion better to play than the original. Yes there could be more logistics involved to help with scheduling, but again, thats added cost to the league, and even adding another field, thats X amount of dollars for turf, more for netting and poles, more for ref's, more for bunkers.... Things add up. I am more than happy to support the NPPL because it supports the sport I love and does its best to make that happen.

And if anyone complains about reffing, go check out the NFL Replays last month...
Old 10-09-2012, 02:59 AM #15
billy1234
pew pew

i thought it was a well ran event, scheduling was alright for the time and amount of teams they had to work with, i agree field 3 didnt have enough refs. we had a guy pulled on a ball that he slid on and broke on his leg, nothing to complain about though, this is paintball, there are refs, there are questionable calls all the time, refs have the hardest jobs and all in all i thought they did a great job all weekend. The turf on field 2 and 3 were very slippery by sat/sunday, i know i slipped a few times, but once again this happens all the time, it is to be expected playing paintball on turf. One thing seems to remain the same though is the size of the tournament/vendors keeps getting smaller, i really hope the nppl is on a rebuilding phase like said above rather than slowly dying.
you will NEVER be forgotten
billy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:53 AM #16
AtticaDistortion

AtticaDistortion owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
AtticaDistortion is for the Gunfight
AtticaDistortion is for the Gunfight
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentAssasinHD View Post

Proudly Sponsored by Vanguard ~ GI Sportz ~ HK Army ~ Virtue ~ Exalt
paul@vanguardrepair.com/paul@crupaintball.com
AtticaDistortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:17 AM #17
shredxcam

If you don't like the nppl
Don't play it.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:18 AM #18
splatter00

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
splatter00 plays in the PSP
splatter00 plays in the APPA D1 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtticaDistortion View Post
Sorry man but i agree with with exception of the Refs. The singly handedly cost many teams games, including ours. Maybe im spoiled with PSP refs, but the refs were flag happy, and half didnt understand the rules. The Nppl is going to have to step it up if they want to compete with PSP, simple as that.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:40 AM #19
big oak
infectious paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredxcam View Post
If you don't like the nppl
Don't play it.
^^^^^^^^ yea
Old 10-09-2012, 10:21 AM #20
pumper777

pumper777 supports Pev's Paintball
We run a rinky dink pump series and its stilll better than that bull****. I refuse to play nppl. It was a great eye opener. To quote Ollie Lang "No more NPPL for me."
Old 10-09-2012, 10:37 AM #21
DougMac409

Yall are trippin, you guys have to make these events fun for yourselves and your friends. After you figure that out, the close calls, the expenses, the losses are easier to take and you don't have to come directly to PBNation to complain about everything.

Don't people get tired of complaining?? Don't play these events if you don't like them, fair enough. Gives my team a better chance of winning.

This is all my opinion by the way, as long with this past Vegas event being one of the best tournaments I have ever played. I had a blast even though we didn't make our first chance to make semi finals in D1 because of a close call.

LAH
DougMac409 is offline   Reply With Quote