Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-07-2012, 10:32 PM #1
Golfman38

First Paintball Set Up?

I'm looking for a basic set up that is good and cheap, I would be buying used gear, marker with hopper and tank, for $200 or less ($250 is pushing it). I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to equipment so I don't know where to start . I was looking at either a tippmann 98, or tippmann a-5, and adding a flatline barrel. Any suggestions to point me in the right direction?

Last edited by Golfman38 : 10-07-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Golfman38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2012, 10:49 PM #2
peacob

peacob owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
peacob supports DLX Technology
depends what style of play. If you're playing woodsball then the tippmann should be fine.

That being said.... regardless of what style you play.. i'd still get an electric marker like a PMR (which you can find an 07/08 for around 100-130$), or an Ion XE. They will play just fine in the woods, and will also give you the ability to compete against the other electronic markers in speedball.

As for mask, you can pick up a Vforce profiler for around 40$, a steelie HPA tank for 30$ and a halo hopper for another 40$... This setup will do you quite well for a while until you feel comfortable upgrading.
peacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:03 PM #3
Golfman38

The park nearest me has woodsball and hyperball. I prefer hyperball so that's what I would usually be playing. Thanks for the tip, I'll keep an eye out for them.
Golfman38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:59 PM #4
peacob

peacob owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
peacob supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfman38 View Post
The park nearest me has woodsball and hyperball. I prefer hyperball so that's what I would usually be playing. Thanks for the tip, I'll keep an eye out for them.
Then you'll definitely be wanting an electro gun with firing modes. Those guns will be great, i've seen many people start with them with the intention of upgrading when they get more into it, all to realize that there was no need to. I'd highly recommend the PMR over the Ion just because it comes with a better feedneck and i like the trigger frame more. If you get an Ion, make sure its an XE, the regular ion has to be completely taken apart just to clean and lube the bolt.

Both these guns will work great for you as they are stock... but, if you do feel inclined to upgrade heres what i recommend:

Out of the box, the PMR is great and really doesnt need much, its smooth and relatively easy to maintain. If you get an 07/08, the first thing you should do is get a metal back cap. As for performance upgrades...the only thing i can see you may want to upgrade (and this is over time) is the trigger and a new barrel.

As for the Ion Xe, the worst thing is the feedneck, hands down. After that, the second worst thing is the trigger. Then i'd say barrel, and possibly an ASA

The PMR will have a nicer shot with less kick, to get the ion to feel like that you'd have to get a bolt upgrade.

Last edited by peacob : 10-08-2012 at 12:10 AM.
peacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:12 AM #5
Darko9989
MacDev Militia

Annual Supporting Member
Darko9989 is BST Trusted
Darko9989 is playing at Living Legends V
Darko9989 is for the Gunfight
Darko9989 supports Pev's Paintball
Darko9989 has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Darko9989 is attending Decay of Nations VI
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacob View Post
depends what style of play. If you're playing woodsball then the tippmann should be fine.

That being said.... regardless of what style you play.. i'd still get an electric marker like a PMR (which you can find an 07/08 for around 100-130$), or an Ion XE. They will play just fine in the woods, and will also give you the ability to compete against the other electronic markers in speedball.

As for mask, you can pick up a Vforce profiler for around 40$, a steelie HPA tank for 30$ and a halo hopper for another 40$... This setup will do you quite well for a while until you feel comfortable upgrading.
I agree with everything said here. The PMR will be great for you and will give you the firing modes necessary for hyperball. The other gear listed will also be perfect for you as a beginner.
Darko9989 is offline   Reply With Quote