Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-27-2012, 08:17 AM #43
Rampager2000
-Voted best Avvy 2011 <3-

If only I lived anywhere near and had $600.

OGPT: It's Not Rocket Surgery
Rampager2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-28-2012, 11:40 AM #44
Kenny_McCormick

Headed to woodward.
Narrator: [Talking slowly] And this button-down, Oxford-cloth psycho might just snap, and then stalk from office to office with an Armalite AR-10 carbine gas-powered semi-automatic weapon, pumping round after round into colleagues and co-workers. This might be someone you've known for years. Someone very, very close to you.
Kenny_McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:58 PM #45
AABanned

AABanned is playing at Living Legends VI
AABanned owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
AABanned owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
AABanned supports Pev's Paintball
AABanned has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I might go get that Yugo if they still have it. I've been looking for a 3dr metro, but that will do as well. I think it's the only car that will actually fit in my trailer.
AABanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:27 AM #46
Kenny_McCormick

Today it wouldn't warm up, even with the engine hot, it was coughing, sputtering, and generally running like ***. Car crapped out entirely on 8 mile rd. I start going through the ignition system, plugs looked fine, cap and rotor were ok, sort of dirty, I cleaned them. Then I found the problem, the coil wire had backed out from the coil, covered in evidence of arcing, spark was poor after plugging it back in, orange. So I called a ride and went to autozone, who ACTUALLY HAD A COIL for it at a nearby hub store, I was ready to buy a coil for an old chevy. We put the coil in, hot blue-white spark. NO START, tried ether, got some coughing, several attempts at cranking for 30 seconds straight with the pedal floored(flooding suspected), just some coughs and fireballs.

Had it flatbeded to a safe place, now what?
Narrator: [Talking slowly] And this button-down, Oxford-cloth psycho might just snap, and then stalk from office to office with an Armalite AR-10 carbine gas-powered semi-automatic weapon, pumping round after round into colleagues and co-workers. This might be someone you've known for years. Someone very, very close to you.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:56 AM #47
CousinVin
PMP's FOR LIFE

This

CousinVin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:08 AM #48
A Contract Killer

A Contract Killer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
SR20 swap.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:29 PM #49
Kenny_McCormick

-Checked cam timing, spot on.
-Sorta checked ignition timing(static), due to an error on my part installing the new timing belt, the vacuum advance canister nearly touches the timing cover with the timing set correctly. It hasn't moved.
-Cap, rotor, and wires look fine.

Plugs? I'm now thinking the plugs are toast. It's definitely firing (lots of smoke out the tailpipe and breather hose) just not lighting off good enough to run. I can get a hot white spark from the plugs, but I have seen them pull this stunt on 2 strokes before.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:15 PM #50
Kenny_McCormick

Pictures from the weekend. Soon to come are some ok(audio wise, it's WAY more impressive in person) HD vids of it roaring in tunnels and deep underpass trenches.

Big car

Went to Belle Isle to run the worlds bumpiest race track, unfortunately the good (fun at legal speeds) section was under construction.

Freshly washed

Lost spark, burned a coil and couldn't get it running with a new one.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:56 PM #51
Kenny_McCormick

The exhaust setup, stock manifold and 2 into 1 downpipe, 2" pipe going back from the collector, a cheap 45* crush bend made into more like a 60* bend, long 2" thrush glass pack, short tailpipe exiting in form of the drivers side rear tire. Only in a place like Michigan can you get away with a setup like this in a car where you are only keeping up with traffic shifting at 5000 RPM.

The noise, sounds a lot better in person:

Old 10-03-2012, 11:26 PM #52
Kenny_McCormick

Installed 4 new Bosch copper plugs, gaped and everything. Car was very hard to start, finally got it going, then it stalled when I tried moving it. Got a helper to crank while I played with the carb, got it going again, revs fine in neutral, idles great. Will roll around in 1st just fine, put your foot in it and it will die HARD and not recover, very hard to get started again.

WTF?

Should i try holy water in the radiator? Prior to the coil smoking itself it ran great.

Fuel issues? Carb is freshly rebuilt by me, accelerator pump works. How do I check for proper flow/pressure?
Old 10-04-2012, 12:55 AM #53
lowbudgethero
Boomer

has been a member for 10 years
gotta tune the carb from what it sounds like
lowbudgethero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:46 AM #54
Kenny_McCormick

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbudgethero View Post
gotta tune the carb from what it sounds like
This car is on stock jetting, not modded to a level where it would need tuning, and worked great until Sunday when the coil blew out. If you can get it running, it idles fine. This is a weber based carb, its runs primarily on the idle circuits until the secondary kicks on around half throttle. So it shouldn't have issues recovering from a high rpm stutter. The choke opens properly.

Last edited by Kenny_McCormick : 10-04-2012 at 01:48 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:55 AM #55
Ti_G
Wait, what ?

Ti_G owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Carb needs a good cleaning. Once, I was deep in the woods on an older ATV. After a hard 3 hour ride, It would idle but die as soon as I'd give it gas. There was a bit of dirt on the diaphragm. Cleaned that off, re-assembled the carb. Ran like a champ.

Your issue sounds similar.
Ti_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:30 AM #56
lowbudgethero
Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_McCormick View Post
This car is on stock jetting, not modded to a level where it would need tuning, and worked great until Sunday when the coil blew out. If you can get it running, it idles fine. This is a weber based carb, its runs primarily on the idle circuits until the secondary kicks on around half throttle. So it shouldn't have issues recovering from a high rpm stutter. The choke opens properly.
It can idle great, but when you go on the trottle it dies now? Sounds exactly like a carb problem I had on my motorcycle. Just because the carb is untouched and the car is unmodified doesn't mean the fuel mixture is correct. Also, is there any delay in power when you go more than 1/4 throttle suddenly?
Old 10-04-2012, 03:40 PM #57
Kenny_McCormick

Pulled the idle jet, squeaky clean.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:23 PM #58
lowbudgethero
Boomer

Dont you have adjustments for mixture though?
Old 10-05-2012, 01:09 PM #59
Kenny_McCormick

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbudgethero View Post
Dont you have adjustments for mixture though?
The flow path dictates that if the adjustment point were clogged, the jet would be covered in trash.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:11 PM #60
Kenny_McCormick

Checked the jets, all clear. Tried using WD40 for starting fluid, it fired right up and idled rough. Then I looked at my fuel pump.

I think I found my problem. I tested the fuel pump, got an ounce or two from 10 seconds of cranking, PISS YELLOW FUEL. Isn't gas supposed to be blue? I dont have any HEET, but I did have some marine grade stabil. 6 CCs into the carb vent some shaking of the car, vrooom. Then I rolled it around the parking lot again, noting that it ran better and better for about 10 seconds, then worse and worse.

Come to think of it, I topped it off with premium at a station on a not nice section of Woodward Ave Saturday. Then it started acting up and gave up on Sunday. Coil must have been a coincidence.

Time to grab a bottle of HEET and two gallons of 93.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:08 PM #61
Kenny_McCormick

Two bottles of ISO HEET didnt help enough, siphoning wouldn't work for whatever reason, even pulling form the pickup tube. It wouldn't run on a external can of fresh fuel. Then it lost spark again. I give up, it's getting trailered home.