Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyNews Ups

Old 10-04-2012, 12:49 PM #211
Jessetom

Jessetom supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwik View Post
Very True, he states things as facts about players from 10 yrs ago but there are many still playing and some that arent that could definitely hold up against todays players, d2 and higher.....what makes you think their skill set was that much lower? The game was just as physically demanding then as it is now.
^ I know a guy who play at my field who's been there since the beginning and probably has kids older than YohY now. Still goes head first into the snake, no hesitation and cleans up half the other team.

Skill is directly proportionate to time spent practising and that pretty much puts any of this old bull**** to rest.
Jessetom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:54 PM #212
Wakewarrior7
Now in Technicolor

10 years ago the tech and tactics weren't where they were today. I played tournaments with a 98 custom and if I really wanted to get crazy I broke out the automag. The dm4, Viking and cyborg hadn't hit market yet, and PE was still making auto cockers.

Yes, there were problems with the sport, but some of the best players, emerged and are still relevant today. Amazing new guns hit market because of these players insight, and this forced the sport to evolve. and just a couple years later (2004-2007) the paintball boom occurred until the economy fell out.

Saying these players can't hold their own today is ignorant. When did players like Ollie, Lasoya, and Yosh start playing? Those who care enough, push the envelope to improve themselves and stay relavent.
Wakewarrior7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:25 PM #213
bulzeye

bulzeye is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
bulzeye donated to help Peyton Trent
bulzeye supports Team VICIOUS
bulzeye is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by YohY View Post
To you and the other uneducated fools that cannot spell and have reading comprehension issues. My comment was so very simple and I made no reference to a player(s).

Let me help you and try to read this slowly so it can sink in. A pro TEAM 10 years back could not stay on the field with a current D2 team. In fact they would probably struggle against a top D3 team. Watch a video of top teams 10 years past - it is laughable how bad they are compared to today.
wasn't dynasty's pro debut in 2002?

KILLA$ KREW
UnspokeN
Old School Feedback
bulzeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:26 PM #214
aquadgio1
Im your huckleberry

aquadgio1 is a Supporting Member
aquadgio1 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
aquadgio1 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
To you and the other uneducated fools that cannot spell and have reading comprehension issues. My comment was so very simple and I made no reference to a player(s).

Let me help you and try to read this slowly so it can sink in. A pro TEAM 10 years back could not stay on the field with a current D2 team. In fact they would probably struggle against a top D3 team. Watch a video of top teams 10 years past - it is laughable how bad they are compared to today.
If only we had a time capsule and sport the current d2 d3 teams with the same exact equipment they tops teams played with back then (eggys, revi's) non ramping boards..straight semi only. They can play againts Ironmen, Trauma, All Americans, Avalanche....etc.
NEXUS SHOOTING VID
Black Widow Paintball
Krush's Paint & Air
Stick-Em Paintball
Velocity Paintball
aquadgio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:27 PM #215
randomdean100

Quote:

Are you talking about on current psp fields? The fields they played 10 years ago? Are you taking the team from ten years ago straight out of ten years ago without practicing any of the new techniques or fields? I have a suspicion that if you give them time to practice on new fields with todays techniques they would be able to hold their own. Also are you letting the team age the ten years, getting vets out of retirement and playing or a theoretical situation with some sort of time travel involved? Maybe you should put up a complete argument with details supporting all of your bold statements or shut up.
PBN modsquad - lols for brains

Purdue jersey and more F/S
randomdean100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:49 PM #216
aquadgio1
Im your huckleberry

aquadgio1 is a Supporting Member
aquadgio1 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
aquadgio1 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
im pretty sure the guys below can mow down the top d3 and d2 teams....this was 9-10 ago....

NEXUS SHOOTING VID
Black Widow Paintball
Krush's Paint & Air
Stick-Em Paintball
Velocity Paintball
aquadgio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:17 PM #217
Julio Jones

Ok, so I am a gay troll who enjoys snark and fanning coals...

But what the holy **** is up with comparing ANY of these guys, a 2/3 majority of these guys...
With players 10 ****ing years ago!!!
Many of these guys are workhorses who climbed than ranks 50x faster than most posting .

Grind the axe all you want. The leaders on this team with d1-pro experience... Like 4-5 guys are solid. They harvested upcoming local guys. And get a run at at fulfilling a dream and have a sound business amd branding model in place.

The PB economy sucks. 2 leagues sucks..spots were filled.. Both decrease legitimacy as a real sport.

But

Comparing this team!!!!!!! To 10 yr old coots is ****ing retarded as Corky on life goes on....

Cut swizz he's a ***.
Julio Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:57 PM #218
Nick Brockdorff

Nick Brockdorff posts videos on PbNation
I think everyone is misunderstanding eachother.

I think one side mean gamesmanship, and the other side technique + physical ability.

So, you are both right!

Yes, take a top Pro team 10 years ago, and give them the physical ability and the technical skills of a current team - and they will go straight to the top in todays environment, because of the raw talent in that squad.

But, send a current D3 team 10 years back in time, give them Shocker SFTs and Eggie loaders - and they will still dominate all Pro teams.... because the skills that are average today, were rare and valuable 10 years ago.

It all depends what you ACTUALLY mean when you compare the two..... bringing the current skillset to the fields of old, or bringing the talent of old into our time and give them time to adjust

You also have to realise that style changes in how to play paintball and technical advancement of individual players, tricle down slowly in paintball.

The first guy I ever saw play equally well with both hands, was Chris Lasoya. - And that was only 12-13 years ago. - Today everyone does it with ease.

The first guy I ever saw superman dive effectively, was Oliver Lang, and that was only 10-11 years ago - Today you are laughed at in D4, if you don't do it well.

There is a reason these guys became icons in our sport....... and a lot happens in 10 years.

Last edited by Nick Brockdorff : 10-04-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Nick Brockdorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:08 PM #219
Nick Brockdorff

You guys are debating like when kids discuss if samurai would beat medieval knights, or if Sioux indians would beat Zulu warriors.

It doesn't make sense, unless you qualify the circumstances

Old 10-04-2012, 06:16 PM #220
MiniMe2113
SklurGildur

Annual Supporting Member
MiniMe2113 is playing at Living Legends III
MiniMe2113 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
MiniMe2113 posts videos on PbNation
MiniMe2113 supports DLX Technology
jerseys look pretttttyyyyy cool
MiniMe2113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:31 PM #221
xxinvision

xxinvision plays in the PSP
xxinvision plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMe2113 View Post
jerseys look pretttttyyyyy cool
And now we have Infamous walking onto the field...oh wait.
White Rotor FS
OG Dynasty Ollie Lang Jersey FS
xxinvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:57 AM #222
undrdg
RIP Larry Alexander

Quote:
Of course a state benefits from having a pro team. One first would have to agree what qualifies as being a pro team. If a team is made up of old timers and kids who have never even won at a D3 level does that qualify as a pro team? In my humble opinion paying for and entering a pro event does not make one a pro team. Furthermore having a pro team by name only has no benefit and in fact if such a pro team gets raped at an event it only hurts the states reputation for paintball.

If you read this and related threads the issue started when someone posted that NPPL saw this team and recognized that they should be a pro team and invited them to play Vegas. Furthermore if you read all the threads you come to the conclusion that this team is new, made up of a few upper division players that have not competed at a high level for years and some low level D3/D4 players. If this is true is one to really believe that NPPL saw such a team and felt it was much more qualified to play pro than some of their more successful D1 teams? How do the NPPL D1 teams feel having a throw together team get a spot that maybe should have gone to a team supporting the league and playing as a team at a high level? That is the real issue here and totally puts into question the viability of NPPL. If the threads are inaccurate and the team is made of of pro caliber players than great post the players name, their last events and divsion they played. Post seem to indicate that many of their team competed and got crushed playing D3/D4 PSP. Maybe those reports are inaccurate. That is something that can easily be determined.

Nothing personal but you are dillusional if you think old coots that played 10 years ago are the reason people are playing today. You old geezers did zero for paintball. Paintball declined under your watch. Your behavior on and off the field turned parents and the people paying for kids to play away from the sport. This sport is still a back alley sport respected by few outside of the community. If you are saying the old coots of the past are responsible for the state of paintball today then I say shame on you all. You old geezers were so caught up in trying to be cool and "agg" that you thought you were doing paintball a favor by acting like thugs on and off the field. What other sport allows "pros" to act as you did in the past? You old geezers hurt the sport not helped it.

More important the point was that a pro team of 10 years ago would get blown off the field by a top D2 team of today especially a top D2 PSP team.
Oh my, so much to say here. Where to start. You are one jealous little monkey.
First let me talk about the age thing you mention because your ignorant comment makes me cringe. Paintball, is 90% mental, I do not care if you are the a 5 foot 5 speed demon with a wicked snap shot, if you are mentally weak that back player owns you. The best d2 or d3 player would piss their pants their first pro tournament under the sheer weight of the pressure that pros face.
See, the thing is being pro is more about an attitude than anything. Of course you need to have physical tools to keep up, but i am pretty sure if Bob Long came out of retirement ( i am assuming you know who Bob Long is, he played 10 years ago) he would facialize you ever single time you head check out of the snake. Matter of fact, I would love to come out of retirement and go 1 on 1 with you on any field with my Droid, (see now you got my competitive juices flowing).

Secondly, your issue then is not with Phoenix Contact, it is with the way the NPPL conducts its business. Don't blame Phil for using the key that was provided, instead blame the owners. Oh wait, the owners are other pros. Hmmm... what a pickle.

Thirdly, I don't think anything has changed that much from tournaments from 10 even 5 years ago. Wasn't it this very year that JRab went nuts on the field? Nothing has changed man. You NEED an edge to play at the pro level and if you want everything to be rainbows and unicorns, stay at the rookie level and never move up.
Dude you have got to be kidding me with you stupidity. How can you sit there and tell everyone that pros from 10 years ago can't hang today? Are you serious? Check out Dynasty, Infamous, Impact, Ironmen. Players on those teams have guys that have been playing for decades. Some that played stopped playing and came back. Look at Crunchy, that dude took 3 years off came back and owned people.
If Casey Fields, Rocky and Raymond came back they would own punks like you.

Honestly, based on what i just read, you have business being in competitive paintball. Put down the gun and walk away or apologize.
Respect the history of the sport, otherwise one day you might find yourself playing alone or walking slowly out of a bunker shot by a guy that can be your dad.
undrdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:02 AM #223
Vswizzle (Banned)
SWIZZIN 24/7 365 *****ES

Vswizzle owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Vswizzle is for the Gunfight
Vswizzle has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Vswizzle has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Oi who said cut swizz he's a ***
Is there someone on this team name swizz or did my name somehow get drawn into this
Vswizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:37 AM #224
xxinvision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vswizzle View Post
Oi who said cut swizz he's a ***
Is there someone on this team name swizz or did my name somehow get drawn into this
All you had to do was go back to the last page and page before that to find out.
In short, yes, they have a player whose pbn username is Swizz.
White Rotor FS
Old 10-05-2012, 11:19 AM #225
Nick Brockdorff

Quote:
Originally Posted by undrdg View Post
Oh my, so much to say here. Where to start. You are one jealous little monkey.
First let me talk about the age thing you mention because your ignorant comment makes me cringe. Paintball, is 90% mental, I do not care if you are the a 5 foot 5 speed demon with a wicked snap shot, if you are mentally weak that back player owns you. The best d2 or d3 player would piss their pants their first pro tournament under the sheer weight of the pressure that pros face.
See, the thing is being pro is more about an attitude than anything. Of course you need to have physical tools to keep up, but i am pretty sure if Bob Long came out of retirement ( i am assuming you know who Bob Long is, he played 10 years ago) he would facialize you ever single time you head check out of the snake. Matter of fact, I would love to come out of retirement and go 1 on 1 with you on any field with my Droid, (see now you got my competitive juices flowing).

Thirdly, I don't think anything has changed that much from tournaments from 10 even 5 years ago. Wasn't it this very year that JRab went nuts on the field? Nothing has changed man. You NEED an edge to play at the pro level and if you want everything to be rainbows and unicorns, stay at the rookie level and never move up.
Dude you have got to be kidding me with you stupidity. How can you sit there and tell everyone that pros from 10 years ago can't hang today? Are you serious? Check out Dynasty, Infamous, Impact, Ironmen. Players on those teams have guys that have been playing for decades. Some that played stopped playing and came back. Look at Crunchy, that dude took 3 years off came back and owned people.
If Casey Fields, Rocky and Raymond came back they would own punks like you.

Well, as said, it all depends on the premise.

Would Pro players from 10 years ago, blow away a current D2 team, if they were given time to raise the level of their game before making the attempt?

For sure

But, was the level of play in Pro 10 years ago, lower than what you see in D2 today?

Definitely

Maybe you actually agree with eachother - but are just talking about 2 different things?

If this YohY guy actually means the talent is greater today, he is absolutely wrong... but if he means the level of play is far better today, he is correct.

As for his rant on "old timers" destroying the sport, he is just off his rocker - The majority of the people that keep paintball alive today, in industry, as field owners and as team owners, during the biggest economic crisis in a lifetime, are EXACTLY those "old timers"..... so that is just talking out of his ***, and quite possibly taking his argument a step too far, without thinking - usually a mark of lacking maturity

Old 10-05-2012, 12:19 PM #226
undrdg
RIP Larry Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Brockdorff View Post
Well, as said, it all depends on the premise.

Would Pro players from 10 years ago, blow away a current D2 team, if they were given time to raise the level of their game before making the attempt?

For sure

But, was the level of play in Pro 10 years ago, lower than what you see in D2 today?

Definitely

Maybe you actually agree with eachother - but are just talking about 2 different things?

If this YohY guy actually means the talent is greater today, he is absolutely wrong... but if he means the level of play is far better today, he is correct.

As for his rant on "old timers" destroying the sport, he is just off his rocker - The majority of the people that keep paintball alive today, in industry, as field owners and as team owners, during the biggest economic crisis in a lifetime, are EXACTLY those "old timers"..... so that is just talking out of his ***, and quite possibly taking his argument a step too far, without thinking - usually a mark of lacking maturity
Disagree, 10 years ago there was still 7 man and xball. The equipment hasn't change that much. Rate of fire is what has changed the most. guys still have to move and communicate on the field. Guys still need to shoot lanes. Guys still need to snap shot. Guys still bunker other guys. Same game different people.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:01 PM #227
John
Straight shooter with upper management written all over him.

Annual Supporting Member
John is playing at Living Legends VII
John has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
John is a PbNation video producer
Almost 10 years ago. X-Ball and 7-Man wasn't used in US pro league play until 2003. And it took teams a bit to get used to X-Ball.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:19 PM #228
undrdg
RIP Larry Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Almost 10 years ago. X-Ball and 7-Man wasn't used in US pro league play until 2003. And it took teams a bit to get used to X-Ball.
http://www.warpig.com/paintball/arti...re/index.shtml
Old 10-05-2012, 03:38 PM #229
John
Straight shooter with upper management written all over him.

Annual Supporting Member
John is playing at Living Legends VII
John has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
John is a PbNation video producer
So is that you agreeing with me or are you just confused?

I played in one of the two exhibition matches for X-Ball in the US. There was no league play. Just exhibitions. Heck, there wasn't even an X in the middle for the second one after we broke it.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:38 PM #230
xxinvision

Quote:
Originally Posted by undrdg View Post
tl;dr

It's show time.
Everyone's watching Contact.
White Rotor FS
Old 10-05-2012, 04:14 PM #231
VIP3R
Arizona Paintball

VIP3R is an NCPA player
well...that went...interesting.
VIP3R is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyNews Ups

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.