PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyNews Ups

Old 09-28-2012, 09:34 PM #1597
robertseakykr

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerguy243 View Post
its like sticking some putty to the inside of part a football. Try throwing a spiral.

Its also like an unbalanced wheel on a car... going to cause oscillations.
Hmmm. The bubble would have to be huge to cause an effect. A 1/8" bubble would shift the centre of mass by only .004" . About the thickness of a human hair. Air pockets aren't causing the large curves in trajectory people are describing.
robertseakykr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-28-2012, 10:02 PM #1598
JohnSherman

Annual Supporting Member
JohnSherman posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by private_silver View Post
Didn't see anything anywhere that these were "cheaper" to make, it's simply a different idea modified to paintball.
In an interview for Facefull, Paul Ciesiun says, and I quote, "If you take Hydrotec Element, and compare it to the same quality in gelatin, we would be cheaper."

Quote:
Originally Posted by private_silver View Post
I believe it's similar to the way they make encapsulated pills.
Paintballs are currently produced with pill encapsulating machinery, Hydrotec had a different method.
JohnSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:23 PM #1599
robot0ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertseakykr View Post
Hmmm. The bubble would have to be huge to cause an effect. A 1/8" bubble would shift the centre of mass by only .004" . About the thickness of a human hair. Air pockets aren't causing the large curves in trajectory people are describing.
I would say about 1/3 of the Hydrotec is air on the inside. And its the combination of its light weight and extreme uneven weight distribution. At these speeds, every tenth of a gram counts.

"Originally posted by Tempted: The length of the barrel."

GoPro Hero 2 for sale
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...705&highlight=
robot0ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:56 AM #1600
bulzeye

bulzeye is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
bulzeye donated to help Peyton Trent
bulzeye supports Team VICIOUS
bulzeye is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Brockdorff View Post
I'd be quite surprised, if the EPA had a problem with corn starch - especially since loads of fields out there, are still dumping the equivalent of 1,000 gallons of oil into the ground every year.

Just for reference..... the worst paintballs out there, have around 50 % oil content, which means a single pallet of paint, translates into around 100 gallons of oil going into the ground.

I'm amazed there are still fields buying that crap.

really 100 gallons of oil in a pallet of paint? do you just make this **** up?

KILLA$ KREW
UnspokeN
Old School Feedback
bulzeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:22 AM #1601
godraep
FapAttackV.1

godraep supports Team VICIOUS
godraep supports Team VICIOUS
godraep is attending Decay of Nations VI
godraep supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulzeye View Post
Use your context clues.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:32 AM #1602
Nick Brockdorff

Nick Brockdorff posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulzeye View Post
Well, what do you think the number is then?

Nick Brockdorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:42 PM #1603
MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
air bubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot0ninja View Post
I would say about 1/3 of the Hydrotec is air on the inside. And its the combination of its light weight and extreme uneven weight distribution. At these speeds, every tenth of a gram counts.
Yip. The paint doesn't just fly out the way it sat in the gun. It's spinning.....really fast! Even a minor displacement per spin can cause a significant loss of accuracy at medium to long ranges. Assuming this is the problem.

Personally I think their idea is good, they just need to tweek it. Maybe get the fill a little more runny. Dial in the filling of the balls so they get more in there. Who knows. Maybe we're all totally off and they shoot just fine when compared to multiple batches of other paints. You get good and bad of any kind of paint, maybe we're being too hard on them since they're the odd kid on the block.

ETEK 3LT, with 14" critical .680 barrel and cure 3 + bolt F/S
MstrKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:29 PM #1604
RailAgainst

Actually there is over a hundred gallons in a pallet of paint.

If you call a pallet a hundred cases even though there's more that means each case would need to measure a gallon.

1 us gallon / 2000 paintballs = .384 teaspoons per paintball

I just measured a paintball at .5 teaspoons
RailAgainst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:52 PM #1605
TargetIndy
Electrifying

Annual Supporting Member
TargetIndy is a founding member
TargetIndy is BST Legit
TargetIndy is an Ultimate field/store owner
TargetIndy is Immortal
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSherman View Post
In an interview for Facefull, Paul Ciesiun says, and I quote, "If you take Hydrotec Element, and compare it to the same quality in gelatin, we would be cheaper."
The devil is in the details. The important part of that statement is "same quality in gelatin". If Hydrotech feels their Element paintball is comparable to Evil, which MAP's at $74.95, Hydrotech could price their paint at $70 and still claim they're cheaper.

DoctorOring.com -- O-ring kits for baller's on a budget!
3 rebuilds $4.95 -- Boxed kits from $9.95

Paintball Indiana -- Indianapolis's Oldest Outdoor Paintball Field
TargetIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:45 PM #1606
Nick Brockdorff

Nick Brockdorff posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by RailAgainst View Post
Actually there is over a hundred gallons in a pallet of paint.

If you call a pallet a hundred cases even though there's more that means each case would need to measure a gallon.

1 us gallon / 2000 paintballs = .384 teaspoons per paintball

I just measured a paintball at .5 teaspoons
Well, you have to divide by half, as the worst paintballs have roughly 50 % oil content.... actually more, since you have to account for the weight of the gelatin shell also

So, 100 gallons is my estimated worst case scenario, off a 160 case pallet, with the worst possible paint.

Nick Brockdorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:39 PM #1607
b15cu1t

b15cu1t owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
we all look at this paint from a players point of view ,look at it from a rental site point of view then they are quids in.
rental site does not have too pay for storage as in tempreture controled, so they can buy 2 pallets instead of 1 makes it cheaper for them ,means more profit,so we all moan about this paint but it`s about the sites
b15cu1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:53 AM #1608
JohnSherman

Annual Supporting Member
JohnSherman posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetIndy View Post
The devil is in the details. The important part of that statement is "same quality in gelatin". If Hydrotech feels their Element paintball is comparable to Evil, which MAP's at $74.95, Hydrotech could price their paint at $70 and still claim they're cheaper.
I'm well aware of marketing spin, thanks. You could say the same thing about any brand of paint. If the paint ends up being comparable to Evil, which I don't know yet because I haven't tried it, then yes, I would consider a retail price of 70 dollars to be cheaper. That's what I said the first time around.
JohnSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:28 PM #1609
brendans0cool

brendans0cool has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
brendans0cool has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
No update?
Old 12-02-2012, 01:55 AM #1610
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

You didn't see this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ciesiun
Fans, I apologize for the silence on our page, and from HydroTec in general. For those of you who have followed this project, and me personally, I sincerely thank you. For those of you who are not aware, I am one of the inventors, and have been the driving force behind HydroTec for the last 9 years. In 2009, I agreed to be an employee of HydroTec as part of a deal with a local Chicago investor. However I regret to inform all of you that I am no longer an employee of HydroTec. It should also be known that it was not my decision, but was that of my investor.

It is also important to me that you all know and understand, that over the majority of this year, I have had little involvement in the company’s direction. This includes keeping our faithful followers updated and informed regarding the product. Further, I had no knowledge of, nor was I ever informed of any “launch” at Paintball Explosion. This was also the first time I had heard of
an exclusively “indoor” HydroTec formula. My product plan and expectation has always been that HydroTec should be good for both indoor and outdoor play. Further, you should know that Chuck Hendsch is the sole remaining employee of HydroTec. HydroTec’s other employees, (Marketing Manager, Production Coordinator, Project Coordinator, and VP of Technology/Co-Inventor) have moved on from the company.

After nearly a decade of work on this invention, I am confident that in the proper hands and with the proper care, my invention stands to change the industry we all know and love. It is with that in mind that I refocus my efforts to overcome these recent obstacles and continue to pursue what I created. Thus, I have not given up.

Thank you again to all of you who have supported me, my vision, and HydroTec over the last decade.

- Paul Ciesiun
TL;DR : RIP Hydrotec.
vijil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:18 AM #1611
YeloSno
Breadloser

Annual Supporting Member
YeloSno supports Team VICIOUS
YeloSno is for the Gunfight
YeloSno is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
YeloSno is Legendary
YeloSno supports Empire
why RIP?

Thinking of Buying Something, But Don't Know What?
Have A Look Inside for Some Help.

BKAYBKEJHFJK FIRE SALE!
LNIB PE HDEs - CHEAP - Need em gone!
It's a ****ing graphite IZE Flex for sale! WOW.

ALT Bazaar
A new top secret project that isn't so secret. Brought to you by the creator of the Ultimate Purchasing Hierarchy and TBQF Technologies.

"Originally posted by Insane_Vendetta: "We used to be schizophrentic, but now we agree.""
"Originally posted by Somnambulistz: i'm not wearing any underwear! :D"
YeloSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:57 AM #1612
stevebski
< Kris Williams is HOT

stevebski supports Bob Gurnsey
stevebski supports our troops
Because the one guy who cared about the quality of the end product is no longer a part of it? I, for one, am worried it'll turn into a quick money maker and flop because the issues with it now wont be addressed like the balls winging from being too lightweight.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:33 AM #1613
cutstep
Minnesota

Annual Supporting Member
cutstep is playing at Living Legends III
cutstep owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
cutstep is for the Gunfight
cutstep is for the Gunfight
cutstep supports Sherwood Forest
cutstep supports Sherwood Forest
he should go to kickstarter and get funding that way
cutstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:34 AM #1614
Rob @ Ninja PB

Rob @ Ninja PB works for a Paintball manufacturer
Rob @ Ninja PB owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Rob @ Ninja PB supports Team VICIOUS
Rob @ Ninja PB supports our troops
one thing I noticed in quality was the bag I have on my desk has a bunch of football shaped balls at the bottom. I'm wondering if the strength of the shell is not enough to hold the weight of the other balls and is deforming them.

One really cool thing was having 5 hydrotec paintballs sitting in a cup of water on my desk since summer. The water would evaporate and I would keep refilling. 4-5 months later, the balls still look good and break. the thin clear "sealing strip" along the seam seems to look like it was deteriorating slightly but a drop test showed that the balls still broke fine and on the seam.

Still looking forward to seeing this product take off. Looks like a little more work might need to be done on it before they can release a ball that could convince owners to switch.
Certfied Hydro Test Facility - DOT RIN# G777
NINJA USERS CLUB
Rob @ Ninja PB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:47 AM #1615
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob @ Ninja PB View Post
one thing I noticed in quality was the bag I have on my desk has a bunch of football shaped balls at the bottom. I'm wondering if the strength of the shell is not enough to hold the weight of the other balls and is deforming them.
They'll just have to sell them in really long, wide boxes (sort of like really, really big pizza boxes) where the balls aren't sitting on top of one another.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:17 AM #1616
iKNOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob @ Ninja PB View Post

One really cool thing was having 5 hydrotec paintballs sitting in a cup of water on my desk since summer. The water would evaporate and I would keep refilling. 4-5 months later, the balls still look good and break. the thin clear "sealing strip" along the seam seems to look like it was deteriorating slightly but a drop test showed that the balls still broke fine and on the seam.
Maybe not so cool for the field who has ALL the shells from the whols summer and all the bouned balls laying around in the woods. Maybe for years to come. If biodegradable means more than a few weeks, its a huge issue for any field.
iKNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:56 AM #1617
SKI008
Fear my Join Date

Sitting in a cup on his desk isn't the same as sitting in the woods exposed to the elements. That'd be like saying "This paintball I found at the bottom of my gearbag is still paintball-shaped, it's not biodegradable at all!" Obviously that's not true.
ReplyNews Ups

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.