PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 10:51 AM #1219
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

has been a member for 10 years
oh i miss remembered, i believe the A- was 3.5 now that i think of it. only some professors used it, though. it was mainly for if the person was on the edge and they actually showed up and **** they would get a - or +.

for the portfolio management class it was a pass/fail type thing since there really were no projects, tests or anything and it was all market research and managing a 12mil. fund with a presentation to the trustee's at the end.

edit: i like that system since it actually rewards you for showing up and doing better work. it also saved my *** when i had to keep a 3.5 to keep my honors scholarship, before i said meh and stopped caring.

Last edited by imhungry : 10-04-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2012, 11:00 AM #1220
DMC_OWNER
Much bad. Very wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IoNxRoCkEr View Post
So LSU is going to start changing the way grades are scaled soon, they'll be adding +/- so an A- weights as 3.75 and a + weighs as the usual 4.0 holy **** is that gay.

Not having a +/- is extremely retarded. You should not get a 4.0 for getting a 91 in the class if someone else is getting a 100.

Also, OU's grading scale works on the 10% letter grades.

100-90 is an A+/A-
89-80 is a B+/B-
79-70 is a C+/C-
69-60 is a D+/D-
59 or below is F

I love our grading system. I'm sitting at around a 3.4 right now due to not really trying in a few bull**** core classes freshman-junior year. Meh.

Originally Posted by NinjaMouse:But as a poster in this thread, all I can say is good ****ing luck to whoever wants to try to knock you off the #1 spot. That will take something epic. It would be the upset of the posting season.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:02 AM #1221
automagsrule
LOIC

Letter grades are stupid in general.

“If it is true that we need a degree of certainty to get by, it is also true that too much of the stuff can be lethal”
-Terry Eagleton
Old 10-04-2012, 11:05 AM #1222
DMC_OWNER
Much bad. Very wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by automagsrule View Post
Letter grades are stupid in general.
So just saying, I got a 90% in so and so class, and it equals this gpa...is better?

What's the problem with having a letter to apply to your score? Saying you got an A in a class sounds better than saying, yeah I got a 90%

Our letter grades are based off how many points out of the point total we receive in the class.

Originally Posted by NinjaMouse:But as a poster in this thread, all I can say is good ****ing luck to whoever wants to try to knock you off the #1 spot. That will take something epic. It would be the upset of the posting season.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:13 AM #1223
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

when i started at UD it was 100-92 for an A grade. after they more or less doubled the price of tuition it went to a 90-100 for an A. go figure they don't want kids failing out when they get 44k a year from them
Old 10-04-2012, 11:13 AM #1224
automagsrule
LOIC

Letter grades are just superfluous and not incredibly descriptive. We already assign a score out of 100 and out of 4, why bother with a third, inferior scoring measure?

Edit: and as imhungry points out, the letter grade scoring system can be fairly arbitrary.

“If it is true that we need a degree of certainty to get by, it is also true that too much of the stuff can be lethal”
-Terry Eagleton

Last edited by automagsrule : 10-04-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:17 AM #1225
DMC_OWNER
Much bad. Very wow.

Right but when kids call home to mommy and daddy, they don't want to hear, "I got a 74 in Science, an 89 in Math, and a 93.6 in History."

They want to hear if you got an A, B, C etc... It's not completely useless, it's just easier.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:19 AM #1226
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

yea i am not arguing with you it is kind of dumb but its just there to make **** clean and easy at first glance.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:19 AM #1227
automagsrule
LOIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMC_OWNER View Post
Right but when kids call home to mommy and daddy, they don't want to hear, "I got a 74 in Science, an 89 in Math, and a 93.6 in History."

They want to hear if you got an A, B, C etc... It's not completely useless, it's just easier.
Parents will get over it.

-Terry Eagleton
Old 10-04-2012, 11:22 AM #1228
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

ha parents today do not get over anything. if their little baby is even slightly wronged or something is changed in their little world they go on a personal crusade.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:29 AM #1229
DMC_OWNER
Much bad. Very wow.

Quote:
Parents will get over it.
You sound upset that there are still letter grades in place. Has this affected you negatively in any way? Were your parents upset when you told them that 69/100 wasn't a passing grade?

I'm not sure why you seem so against something so trivial.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:33 AM #1230
automagsrule
LOIC

WSU didnt use letter grades, actually.

-Terry Eagleton
Old 10-04-2012, 11:35 AM #1231
SHOOT3R USA
LIFT. RUN. SHOOT.

SHOOT3R USA is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
My parents never cared about grades

When I was like 12 my dad told me "if you don't have the god damn motivation and desire to get good grades on your own you'll fail rather I push you to do good or not."

"IF YOU want to be the ULTIMATE predator you're gonna have to RAMP IT UP cause this is a RACE that NEVER ENDS"
-Cameron Hanes
Old 10-04-2012, 11:37 AM #1232
DMC_OWNER
Much bad. Very wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOOT3R USA View Post
My parents never cared about grades

When I was like 12 my dad told me "if you don't have the god damn motivation and desire to get good grades on your own you'll fail rather I push you to do good or not."
Is this why you're unemployed (from coal mines and a Penn Station) and now looking for a security guard position?

Old 10-04-2012, 11:37 AM #1233
DMC_OWNER
Much bad. Very wow.

Quote:
WSU didnt use letter grades, actually.
That didn't really answer my question.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:41 AM #1234
automagsrule
LOIC

Quote:
You sound upset that there are still letter grades in place. Has this affected you negatively in any way? Were your parents upset when you told them that 69/100 wasn't a passing grade?

I'm not sure why you seem so against something so trivial.

Quote:
That didn't really answer my question.
Okay fine.

Im not really upset, nor do I especially care whether they are used or not. The subject was brought up and I gave my input, thats how forums work.

-Terry Eagleton
Old 10-04-2012, 11:44 AM #1235
DMC_OWNER
Much bad. Very wow.

Quote:
Okay fine.

Im not really upset, nor do I especially care whether they are used or not. The subject was brought up and I gave my input, thats how forums work.
Correct, it is, but saying that your school didn't use letter grades just didn't get across what I was trying to get at, which was your apparent dislike for them. But you answered it with the last post.

I think I'd rather have letter grades be there, and be a trivial "un-needed" thing, than not having them at all. If not for the reason of parents asking their kids what they got in a certain class. That's a much bigger deal to some (read: asians) than it might appear.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:47 AM #1236
SHOOT3R USA
LIFT. RUN. SHOOT.

SHOOT3R USA is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
Quote:

Is this why you're unemployed (from coal mines and a Penn Station) and now looking for a security guard position?
I was layed off and I quit on my own accord.

I'm looking at a security guard position cause I need a job. I have bills to pay. I'm also checking on an EMT job

"IF YOU want to be the ULTIMATE predator you're gonna have to RAMP IT UP cause this is a RACE that NEVER ENDS"
-Cameron Hanes
Old 10-04-2012, 11:48 AM #1237
DMC_OWNER
Much bad. Very wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOOT3R USA View Post
I was layed off and I quit on my own accord.

I'm looking at a security guard position cause I need a job. I have bills to pay. I'm also checking on an EMT job
I'm curious as to what your 10-15 year plan is for you future.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:51 AM #1238
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

Quote:
I'm curious as to what your 10-15 year plan is for you future.
marry honey booboo when she is of age, acquire sketti
Old 10-04-2012, 11:53 AM #1239
DMC_OWNER
Much bad. Very wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhungry View Post
marry honey booboo when she is of age, acquire sketti
**** you hahaha

Closed Thread