Old 10-02-2012, 04:27 PM #1
thunderstruckdc2005
Fear Boner

thunderstruckdc2005 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
thunderstruckdc2005 supports Pev's Paintball
thunderstruckdc2005 plays in the APPA D5 division
thunderstruckdc2005 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
thunderstruckdc2005 supports DLX Technology
Come with me on the journey to fix my 09 Impulse!

THE STORY:
So I recently traded for this '09 Impulse, and it turned out to be a donkey of a gun. The previous owner decided to duracoat the gun, which has turned a lot of people off to the idea of trading. Secondly, when I got it, it was blind. So I bought new eyes from GoG and went to replace them. That's when I found that some do-it-yourselfer in this gun's past had snapped the feedneck tube and then just slabbed some epoxy on it, put it back and called it a day. Next I pulled the bolt out and saw that maybe the same, or a different do-it-yourselfer had tried to make the stock Impulse bolt into a Cure bolt. There's a cut near the top of the bolt to avoid ball stack clipping and then cuts down the sides for the detents. The only problem is it looks like a retarded three year old went to town on the bolt with a hammer and chisel. Now, despite ALL that being wrong, I have taken it to the field and played around with it. It shoots great, just like you would expect an Impulse to, and shoots really consistent over the chrono, I'd say +/- 3 FPS off of my hot filled 50/45. Biggest problem is you just can't really move aggressively or your loader falls off.

KNOWN ISSUES WITH THE GUN (AND WHAT I PLAN TO DO):
-Duracoat Paint Job (have e-mails in to 3 different anno companies to get quotes: FX, Elia PB, and Gruntbull)
-Snapped Feedneck (e-mailed the boys at GoG, $50 + shipping to replace)
-Cut Up Bolt (Pooty can mill it down for $20 or $35 + shipping to get it replaced by GoG)

RESOLVED ISSUES:
-New eyes purchased and installed.

***UPDATES***
1 OCT 2012- Heard back from FX and they said they wouldn't touch it due to the duracoat. Now considering removing duracoat on my own to save myself some agony.

PICS (NOTE! IF YOU CAN'T TELL, THIS WAS ORIGINALLY A BLACK W/ GOLD ACCENT IMPULSE):

THE EYES

YES, IT WORKS!

THE NEXT TWO PICS ARE

NaughtyDogsFan#40
RussianLegionFan#794

My WTB Thread, Take a look! / ESP F-250 Guitar F/S/T
thunderstruckdc2005 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2012, 06:10 PM #2
ripdisc

ripdisc supports Cereal Killerz 2
ripdisc helped look for balloons
ripdisc is playing at Living Legends VII
ripdisc owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
if the bolt works i wouldnt worry about it...
i had a friend fix my feedneck and i think he just used epoxy and it is really solid.
as far as the duracoat its hard to tell in the pics but it looks like it is ok...does it look bad? or you just dont like that its duracoat? honestly not even sure what duracoat is...

if it shoots like my 09 (awesome) I think i would just get the feedneck fixed and enjoy it.

The Ripdisc Collection
ripdisc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:55 PM #3
thunderstruckdc2005
Fear Boner

It's sound mechanically, it just has the listed problems. The duracoat (which is a type of epoxy used to paint firearms) doesn't look terrible, but I prefer the look of anodizing. And, trust me, that epoxy won't hold forever. First hand experience talking! I'd rather spend the money and get this gun working and looking like new!
NaughtyDogsFan#40
RussianLegionFan#794

Old 10-03-2012, 01:27 PM #4
ripdisc

ripdisc supports Cereal Killerz 2
ripdisc helped look for balloons
ripdisc is playing at Living Legends VII
ripdisc owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
i see...they shoot great so i can understand wanting it to look and shoot great! I have always liked the idea of having a "beater" gun but im never able to do it i wind up tricking them out completely aesthetically and for performance. the nice thing with an 09 imp is they dont need or have any aftermarket parts.

how would you fix the feedneck or how would Gog?

The Ripdisc Collection
ripdisc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:48 PM #5
thunderstruckdc2005
Fear Boner

Well as you know, the main body is 2 pieces. So I talked to GoG and they sell the upper portion of the body for $50. So I would replace the upper half of the body and use the same internals, since there's nothing wrong with those. I just might do like you and epoxy the old one just to have a spare lying around, or part out whenever I get done.
NaughtyDogsFan#40
RussianLegionFan#794

Old 10-03-2012, 04:14 PM #6
Japy
Paragon 2014

Annual Supporting Member
Japy is BST Legit
Japy plays in the PSP
Japy is playing at Living Legends VII
Japy has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy supports Empire
They'll also fix the feedneck for you if you send it in. Cheaper then buying an upper body.

Looking for some Gats?
Japy is offline   Reply With Quote