PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 06:53 AM #148
starscream0
A hero aint nothing but a

Dave at Rallispec is one of the most awesome guys to deal with when it comes to subies.

The shop is kind of weird when you first roll up to it (I thought I was lost) since its in an industrial park with trains and **** everywhere, but him and the woman that works the front desk (his girlfriend/wife?) are the best.
Their husky puppy that hangs out out front is pretty awesome too
Old 10-02-2012, 08:50 AM #149
kapp_badbloodz
CLASSIFIED

has been a member for 10 years
kapp_badbloodz supports Cereal Killerz 2
kapp_badbloodz supports our troops
kapp_badbloodz is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Scott: want to do a 2 day block drop in and build?

"Originally posted by slateman: Air Force . . . serious business"
MGDT: "Originally posted by Marine786: We had one guy get orders for a deployment while on a deployment."
AFDT:"Originally posted by f2f4: Or maybe he meant our exposed and aerated crotches. Privates. Because lord knows our PT gear only encourages "wardrobe malfunctions.""
Old 10-02-2012, 09:23 AM #150
ridebmx211
RC ARMY

ridebmx211 is a founding member
ridebmx211 plays in the PSP
ridebmx211 supports Pev's Paintball
ridebmx211 plays in the APPA D4 division
ridebmx211 is Legendary
Eh, unless you get heads with it no, cause other wise we will have to get your heads machined, ALSO plan on doing head studs while your at it. and get some BC cams.
Save the Environment, PLAY PUMP!
Old 10-02-2012, 09:40 AM #151
Matt H

Annual Supporting Member
Matt H is a Supporting Member
Matt H is a founding member
Matt H is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
I'd skip the BC cams and get GSC S2s.

But I would also skip and head work, including cams unless you were looking to make big power.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:55 AM #152
ridebmx211
RC ARMY

ridebmx211 is Legendary
heads need to be milled either way, i wont put old heads on a fresh block with out "flatening" them first Also being that it ran low on oil you have no idea what shape the cam journals are in either.

IMO long block would be the way to go.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:16 AM #153
Marko34256

Marko34256 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Marko34256 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I'd just get a new (used) engine for $3500 :/

Part out stuff from the old engine to mitigate some expenses. Turbo and intercooler are worth decent money.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:20 AM #154
kapp_badbloodz
CLASSIFIED

Don't know how to feel about this... nice guy though ^_____^

Hi Corey

The metal particles and the noise are indicative of a bearing failure of some type and possibly spun rod bearing. The issue will probably be how much damage may have been done by the circulating metal particles as this can damage camshaft and cam journal surfaces as well as score cylinder walls and piston skirts.

If I had to guess I would say that the oil loss was due to a damaged piston or ring wear and running with the low oil condition led to the bearing failure.

So in terms of repairs....impossible to fully estimate until we know the extent of the damage. I'd say, if it is a rod bearing failure then you need at minimum a new crank, new rods, new bearings. I'd also replace the oil pump and possibly the oil cooler (traps metal particles which are impossible to clean out). If the pistons and cylinders are not damaged then replacing rings and lightly honing is all it will need but I doubt that is going to be the case. If pistons and cylinders are damaged then the block will need to be bored out and new pistons fitted. But at that point the cost difference between replacing the short block and rebuilding it will get very small so it might be more worthwhile to just replace it.

If the cams and cam journals in the heads are not scored too badly from the metal then they can probably be cleaned up and reused. If the scoring is really bad, though, then new heads are going to be necessary and that will dramatically affect the repair costs.

All we can do is tear it down and inspect and then give you the different options and estimated costs. I would say the total costs parts, labor, and tuning are going to be somewhere between $4700 and $7000 depending on the condition of parts and the direction that we need to go in. That would be to build it to the same spec as our Street Spec short block which is upgraded rods, bearings, and forged Cosworth pistons This is a good setup for a daily driver application making power outputs up to around 500whp.

Thanks. Regards, Dave Rallispec[\quote]

MGDT: "Originally posted by Marine786: We had one guy get orders for a deployment while on a deployment."
AFDT:"Originally posted by f2f4: Or maybe he meant our exposed and aerated crotches. Privates. Because lord knows our PT gear only encourages "wardrobe malfunctions.""

Last edited by kapp_badbloodz : 10-02-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:20 AM #155
Matt H

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridebmx211 View Post
heads need to be milled either way, i wont put old heads on a fresh block with out "flatening" them first Also being that it ran low on oil you have no idea what shape the cam journals are in either.

IMO long block would be the way to go.
That is a good point.

Just pick up a Cosy built long block. Only 15k.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:28 AM #156
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.

Find a lightly used stock longblock. Keep what you have, bore the block and build it for big power.

2001 Viggen // Stage 1 Oil Injection // Stage 3 Exhaust Leak // Wet Clutch Mod
Old 10-02-2012, 10:30 AM #157
kapp_badbloodz
CLASSIFIED

Pfft cause I have 15k laying around

I could possibly work a drug deal with my pops and he fronts me the 4k to start and I give.him my bonus that pays out in April. Like I said earlier... worst possible time for this to happen

Old 10-02-2012, 10:35 AM #158
kapp_badbloodz
CLASSIFIED

Probably going to have to sell all my parts

Keep exhaust and sell:

FMIC core
Turbo
TGV deletes
Injectors
Omg so many parts. If anybody wants anything here I'll set you up right. Just pm me so we don't get in trouble :/

Old 10-02-2012, 10:46 AM #159
Matt H

Annual Supporting Member
What injectors? Size? Used?
Old 10-02-2012, 10:47 AM #160
visualx
Raise Your Weapon

what turbo?
Old 10-02-2012, 10:49 AM #161
Rampager2000
-Voted best Avvy 2011 <3-

When I spun my bearing, I had only minor scoring. The crank and rods were the only thing that needed to be replaced.

We got the engine honed and it all came out. We cleaned the heads ourselves, they didn't need to be touched too bad. Cams shouldn't need to be touched, neither should valves/covers/springs. I'd expect to do the crankshaft. OEM replacement isn't too terribly bad, can actually get OEM 2.5 cranks cheaper than 2.0 cranks. Go figure. We went ahead and did crankshaft, pistons, rods, bearings, head studs and valves/covers/springs. No disappointment so far.

A visual inspection of the block is your best bet. If your rattle isn't too loud, you're probably fine. Emphasis on probably, and not definitely. Mine was a pretty loud ticking, my bearing that failed completely disintegrated and show everywhere. Rod was knocking and you could hear the bearing in there. Mine sounded horrible and really ended up not being that bad.

If you can find someone to pull it apart for you, you can probably save money. A shop is a shop, and is going to recommend you do things because they'll gain money from it, it will sound logical, and it will benefit you so why not? But if you're tight on money, and it's only lightly scored, you can probably save the block and come out with only new crank/bearings/rods and a good cleaning/honing everywhere. Maybe, and pretty probably, your pistons will be pretty beat as well.

Of course, getting other parts is hardly a bad thing. Cams, valves and all, head studs and all the other stuff, of course, won't hurt it to replace. It's probably better But you probably don't have to.

There's only so much they can do over the phone.

Maybe you could ask them to let you come see it when they get it out? So you could assess it yourself and judge what you think you need. Like he said, if it would only cost you a few hundred more to get a whole new block than them to put all those internals in, there's an obvious choice there.

Good luck man. I know my rebuild process was such a ****ing pain in the *** but having a 205 good to as high as the block walls can handle is such a good feeling.

And for future reference, make sure it's fully warm before you hit 5k RPM

OGPT: It's Not Rocket Surgery

Last edited by Rampager2000 : 10-02-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:51 AM #162
Rampager2000
-Voted best Avvy 2011 <3-

If only those injectors were top feed.

OGPT: It's Not Rocket Surgery
Old 10-02-2012, 10:53 AM #163
Matt H

Annual Supporting Member
They are, or should be.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:02 AM #164
ridebmx211
RC ARMY

ridebmx211 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapp_badbloodz View Post
Don't know how to feel about this... nice guy though ^_____^

Hi Corey

The metal particles and the noise are indicative of a bearing failure of some type and possibly spun rod bearing. The issue will probably be how much damage may have been done by the circulating metal particles as this can damage camshaft and cam journal surfaces as well as score cylinder walls and piston skirts.

If I had to guess I would say that the oil loss was due to a damaged piston or ring wear and running with the low oil condition led to the bearing failure.

So in terms of repairs....impossible to fully estimate until we know the extent of the damage. I'd say, if it is a rod bearing failure then you need at minimum a new crank, new rods, new bearings. I'd also replace the oil pump and possibly the oil cooler (traps metal particles which are impossible to clean out). If the pistons and cylinders are not damaged then replacing rings and lightly honing is all it will need but I doubt that is going to be the case. If pistons and cylinders are damaged then the block will need to be bored out and new pistons fitted. But at that point the cost difference between replacing the short block and rebuilding it will get very small so it might be more worthwhile to just replace it.

If the cams and cam journals in the heads are not scored too badly from the metal then they can probably be cleaned up and reused. If the scoring is really bad, though, then new heads are going to be necessary and that will dramatically affect the repair costs.

All we can do is tear it down and inspect and then give you the different options and estimated costs. I would say the total costs parts, labor, and tuning are going to be somewhere between $4700 and $7000 depending on the condition of parts and the direction that we need to go in. That would be to build it to the same spec as our Street Spec short block which is upgraded rods, bearings, and forged Cosworth pistons This is a good setup for a daily driver application making power outputs up to around 500whp.

Thanks. Regards, Dave Rallispec[\quote]
Sounds EXACTLY the way i would put it any of my customers. ANd thats pretty much what i told you aside from costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampager2000 View Post
When I spun my bearing, I had only minor scoring. The crank and rods were the only thing that needed to be replaced.

We got the engine honed and it all came out. We cleaned the heads ourselves, they didn't need to be touched too bad. Cams shouldn't need to be touched, neither should valves/covers/springs. I'd expect to do the crankshaft. OEM replacement isn't too terribly bad, can actually get OEM 2.5 cranks cheaper than 2.0 cranks. Go figure. We went ahead and did crankshaft, pistons, rods, bearings, head studs and valves/covers/springs. No disappointment so far.

A visual inspection of the block is your best bet. If your rattle isn't too loud, you're probably fine. Emphasis on probably, and not definitely. Mine was a pretty loud ticking, my bearing that failed completely disintegrated and show everywhere. Rod was knocking and you could hear the bearing in there. Mine sounded horrible and really ended up not being that bad.

If you can find someone to pull it apart for you, you can probably save money. A shop is a shop, and is going to recommend you do things because they'll gain money from it, it will sound logical, and it will benefit you so why not? But if you're tight on money, and it's only lightly scored, you can probably save the block and come out with only new crank/bearings/rods and a good cleaning/honing everywhere. Maybe, and pretty probably, your pistons will be pretty beat as well.

Of course, getting other parts is hardly a bad thing. Cams, valves and all, head studs and all the other stuff, of course, won't hurt it to replace. It's probably better But you probably don't have to.

There's only so much they can do over the phone.

Maybe you could ask them to let you come see it when they get it out? So you could assess it yourself and judge what you think you need. Like he said, if it would only cost you a few hundred more to get a whole new block than them to put all those internals in, there's an obvious choice there.

Good luck man. I know my rebuild process was such a ****ing pain in the *** but having a 205 good to as high as the block walls can handle is such a good feeling.

And for future reference, make sure it's fully warm before you hit 5k RPM
and its still not running right.....
Old 10-02-2012, 11:17 AM #165
starscream0
A hero aint nothing but a

Like I said, Dave is a very knowledgable and awesome guy.
Go there
Old 10-02-2012, 12:07 PM #166
kapp_badbloodz
CLASSIFIED

Injectors are 850cc DW NIB top feeds

Turbo is FP HTA Green. Replaced the 68 HTA. Its a lend between the 68 and the standard green. NIB also

Old 10-02-2012, 12:12 PM #167
Marko34256

Marko34256 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Marko34256 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Don't you have an sti?

Thought ej255/257 used side feed injectors.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:48 PM #168
Matt H

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko34256 View Post
Don't you have an sti?

Thought ej255/257 used side feed injectors.
Only 04-06 STIs used side feeds.

Looking for at least 1200s Corey.
Closed Thread