You know its bad when you actually have to stop to take a picture of it haha
HotxRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-01-2012, 10:01 PM #23
georgek

georgek is playing at Living Legends VI
georgek has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
my dm10 came from the factory with a ton of dow on the shim stack and I thought what a stupid action to lube the shim stack.. when I serviced my regs, after a year i cleaned it and let them dry..

When the dye tech told me to also lube the shim stack I then understood the reason it came like that from factory, after some searching I confirmed that they have to be lubed up.

No one said that lubing the shims heals anything, it is more like a preventative act, and when those who developed and invented the spring shim stacks say to do so, I do it. Also some of the shims are made of metals that they tend to rust, so lube will prevent that also.

So from all the above it becomes ''please lube the shims''.. C'mon we all know that a little lube helps a lot with friction(of the shim stack)!!!
georgek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:01 PM #24
speedy2k4
BSH University

speedy2k4 is a Supporting Member
You don't need to dunk your shims in Dow, but a light coat has it's advantages. Besides the obvious reduction of friction, it can go a long way in reducing corrosion. Some regs have chrome plated shims or powdercoated springs. Dye regs don't, and I've seen several over the years that were full of rust soup.
speedy2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote