PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyScenario Ups

Old 08-28-2012, 02:31 PM #1
Candi

Candi is attending Decay of Nations VI
Scenario Newbies: Advice Wanted

Myself and three friends have gotten the paintball itch pretty bad and while out shopping for masks found out about a Scenario game at an outdoor field down the road from us at the end of Sept. We're still gearing up for rec play, but are seriously considering making the Scenario game our first big outing with our own gear.

Having never played a scenario before I am sure that there is some preparation detail I will overlook. We're gearing up for the usual 5 min game - 1 min recess that you get with any regular day of 'ballin and I want to make sure that we're well informed about how to accommodate for a longer day and longer game. Also, any general advice about scenario play that will help us make the transition would be great - we're total newbs (I've got the most games under my belt of the lot and that's 2 days of indoor last month and a summer of woodsball when I was in highschool nearly 7 years ago! The rest have 1-2 days of indoor).

Here's what we've got going on for gear:

-Masks (my wife and I have Dye I4's the rest are shopping still -- we took the advice to `not cheap out on a mask', the other two I don't know...).

-Markers. One player has a Tippman 98 Custom he got used (it truly is a custom, we call it the Franken-Marker - it hardly looks like a 98 Custom it's so heavily decked out). My wife has a Black Magic Mini with a pump kit she has to install still, I have a Projectile Ballistics Lightning also with a pump kit and the fourth wants to get a Phantom but if he hasn't pulled together the funds I'm going to lend him my back-up sniper (another auto-cocker with a pump kit). As you can tell, most of us play (or want to play) pump.

- Tanks. I have a couple of medium sized CO2 tanks I got with my PBL. Considering HPA since the field has free HPA fills and said nothing about C02 but an HPA really adds to the up front expense (and it's already been a pretty costly entry) -- is carbon fibre necessary, since those tanks are almost triple the price of the steel HPAs. My wife is also considering a remote line since her marker is on the heavier side. Since I may be buying a tank, I assume size is a big consideration for Scenario versus Regular Rec?

- "Test Tube" pods and custom made upper arm band pod holders (and maybe a rambo-style vest to hold even more ammo pods, if she has time to make it when the arm bands are done). This will give us each a 50 ball hopper plus 8 'test tube' sized pods of spare paint on our person -- will this be enough?

- Padded shirts with long sleeved jackets to go over top (shirts hand-made, jackets from Value Village--- used clothing store). Cargo Pants with lots of pockets (can probably fit more ammo `tubes' in the pockets?).

I was also going to get a big box of energy bars and a case of bottled water to leave with our paint to fill up on energy / liquids while also getting paint / air.

What am I forgetting / Doing Wrong?
Candi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-28-2012, 04:20 PM #2
Switch462
Two

Switch462 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Switch462 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Scenarios have 2 different formats.

1. The ones that go all day and there are points accumulated on both sides via missions, controlling locations, and props. There are more ways than just those, but its a good starting point for understanding. These you can insert freely or maybe every 15 minutes it all depends on the field. The big thing with this style is that there is that the game is always on no matter what. The best way to help is to talk to the command staff and find out what you can do to help. This might mean leading 15 people to a prop drop location and bringing it back.

2. The other style is a breakdown of multiple events that are staged on the field. So maybe at 1 there is a heist on a location and at 2 there will be a prisoner transfer that you need to free the prisoner. These are less common because they end up being smaller games, but stick with your team and find out the strategy and you will be fine.

Gear:

Scenario is a great style because it doesn't matter what you shoot or wear. The big thing is to make sure that you are comfortable in the gear that you have and you enjoy the style of play. I run with an Ego and throw tons or paint, but sometimes I will go out with a tippmann to save on paint. I have players on my team that run nothing but pumps because they enjoy it. If it throws paint at the opponent than you will be fine. I always recommend HPA because its all around better, but don't break the bank for it if you don't have the cash. I always recommend getting a 68/4500 if you are running electronic guns because you are going to shoot alot, but with pumps a smaller tank is fine. If you go carbon fiber get the 68/4500 even though you don't need that size it isn't too big and if you want to get electronic guns later you don't need new tanks.

The test tub pods are known as 10 round tubes to most of us. 8 is plenty, but if you have a 50 ball hopper you can actually find 50 ball pods to put in a pack that might work better. The number of 10 round tubes you take out is all based on how much you shoot, what size of a game, and how long you will be out there. I find people that fill up 10 tubes for a game that has 200 people and 20 if there are 4000 so there is no set number for help. I also recommend getting a harness for the tubes since they are accessible and usually not in the way. They are not too expensive and will save you from putting them in your pocket. Paint + pocket = extra heat and better chance to break. As for the 98 custom I recommend a full hopper and 2x 180 round pods out on the field since you will shoot more.

Clothing really doesn't matter I play in a t shift with paintball pants because I slide around. A common thought to new players is that they need to wear heavy clothing out to play for protection, but in the end it usually ends up being a bad idea. Get a pair of paints since woods are known for scratching up legs, but as far as your shirt wear a t-shirt. It will keep you cool and it will hurt less than getting hit wearing a long sleeve shirt. This is because one a ball breaks it is distributing its force, but when it hits something with padding and does not break it is going to hurt more. The long sleeve shirt is not going to give you enough of a benefit to justify it.

Food:

As for food it sounds like you are set, but if its going to be an all day thing pack a small lunch there is plenty of time to eat and it will keep you more alert with more energy than the bars. Bars are great for holding you over as a snack, but if you ignore eating you wont have energy to run around and you start slipping. The game might even have a 2 hour break that you can use to eat or just ask your command staff when the best time is. Most of the time they will tell you eat when you want because it doesn't really change the game if you are in, but command staff recognizes that you are involved.

Recommendation:

The biggest mistake I have seen with people that are new to scenarios is trying to act like they know what is going on. Let people know that its your first scenario and they will show you the ropes rather than ending up running around without a clue. Its not a bad idea to blend in a little to not be that newb because people tend to laugh at them rather than help them. Things I recommend avoiding for your first game is anything to do with milsim. Alot of people like it and its great, but a rookie player in milsim usually screams "I have no idea what I am doing I just want to look cool". Also wear something that is comfortable and don't overdo what you are wearing. The guy in 90+ degree heat in a hoodie is just a walking medical issue. Since you asked here it means that when you show up you will have some idea of what to do and people will appreciate that.

Biggest advice: Get involved in the scenario. This means getting into missions and talking to your command staff to find out what you can do. This will have a great impact on the game and you will grow alot as a player. Some people love to role play during scenarios because its fun and sometimes there is something to get out of it. I personally love to get involved in the RP factor because 3rd entities hold lots of points and some good RP will score you those points.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Switch462 : 08-28-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Switch462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:29 PM #3
Pyrate Jim

Switch covered a lot of it.
The two items I most often forget are insect repellent and pre-moistened wipes for cleaning. (Myself, not gear)
Bring enough water for both drinking and clean-up, and toilet paper.

Be prepared for spending an hour or more each time on the field, it ain't like speedball.
Expect to spend 3/4s of that hour NOT shooting.
That other 15 minutes will use up whatever paint you have.

The best advice I can give is play the game.
Most scenario games have a theme, whether it's mil-sim, fantasy or just "Us vs Them". In scenario, You get back what You put into it, play to the theme of the game and have fun with it.
PTI #2691 ~ C1, C2, C5, C5a, C6
http://www.paintball-pti.com/
Pyrate Jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:54 PM #4
Lazarusrat

Lazarusrat owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Just some advice here, take or leave it.

1. Find out how long your game will be. Most scenario games are 8 or 24 hour long games. The 24 hour games are usually split up between 2 days of playing. (For example player brief is at 9:00, game starts at 10:00, game breaks at 6:00 PM for diner and rechrono for night game. Night game starts at 8:00PM and goes till 1:00AM. Player brief at 8:30, game on at 9:30. Break for lunch at 12:00 final battle at 1:00 PM) So if you are playing a 24 hour game you’ll need to think about bringing a tent and you’ll need to rethink your food and water plans.
2. Read the rules. Most games use the GSRP as a base {www.scenariopaintball.com/rules/GSRPv302.htm} and then modify it. Check the game host’s web site for specific rules for the game you are going to play.
3. Look at the game schedule and go to the player briefs. They will go over the game and answer any questions you have.
4. Carbon fiber tanks aren’t a necessity but they are a lot lighter than steel. Don’t go crazy on the tank size because the truth is you usually run out of paint before you run out of air. When you go and get more paint refill your air. Word of warning about remote lines, most remote set ups have the tank positioned vertically in the center of your back in the harness. The problem is when you run the remote tank adapter sometimes jabs you in your back I saw a guy who fixed the problem by putting a hollowed out tennis ball on his remote (wish I would have thought that one up). As for myself I don’t run remotes as I felt they got in the way.
5. Not sure on the paint as I only use my pump for the night games. And then all I do is take my rotor off my gun and put it on my traccer. 1 hopper lasts all night.
6. Padded shirt… That’s your call. Like the other guy said just don’t over heat. As for myself I wear a jersey without pads, I would rather be cool and take the hits than be hot and padded.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:02 AM #5
Candi

This is great! Lots of things I didn't think of.

I expect that, even if it's a bit of a struggle, finding time to play with the new markers before the day of is advisable. Knowing it's working is one thing, but having used it in a real game is another -yes?

This is the scenario web site:
http://www.flagswipepaintball.com/dotd11/index.html
Old 08-29-2012, 08:30 AM #6
Nahib_Stilgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candi View Post
Myself and three friends have gotten the paintball itch pretty bad and while out shopping for masks found out about a Scenario game at an outdoor field down the road from us at the end of Sept. We're still gearing up for rec play, but are seriously considering making the Scenario game our first big outing with our own gear.

Having never played a scenario before I am sure that there is some preparation detail I will overlook. We're gearing up for the usual 5 min game - 1 min recess that you get with any regular day of 'ballin and I want to make sure that we're well informed about how to accommodate for a longer day and longer game. Also, any general advice about scenario play that will help us make the transition would be great - we're total newbs (I've got the most games under my belt of the lot and that's 2 days of indoor last month and a summer of woodsball when I was in highschool nearly 7 years ago! The rest have 1-2 days of indoor).

Here's what we've got going on for gear:

-Masks (my wife and I have Dye I4's the rest are shopping still -- we took the advice to `not cheap out on a mask', the other two I don't know...).
Good!
-Markers. One player has a Tippman 98 Custom he got used (it truly is a custom, we call it the Franken-Marker - it hardly looks like a 98 Custom it's so heavily decked out). My wife has a Black Magic Mini with a pump kit she has to install still, I have a Projectile Ballistics Lightning also with a pump kit and the fourth wants to get a Phantom but if he hasn't pulled together the funds I'm going to lend him my back-up sniper (another auto-cocker with a pump kit). As you can tell, most of us play (or want to play) pump.
Awesome! Pump is fun and just as effective in a scenario.
- Tanks. I have a couple of medium sized CO2 tanks I got with my PBL. Considering HPA since the field has free HPA fills and said nothing about C02 but an HPA really adds to the up front expense (and it's already been a pretty costly entry) -- is carbon fibre necessary, since those tanks are almost triple the price of the steel HPAs. My wife is also considering a remote line since her marker is on the heavier side. Since I may be buying a tank, I assume size is a big consideration for Scenario versus Regular Rec?
Call the field and find out if they do CO2 fills or if you can rent an HPA tank. Steel tanks will work, but they are heavy and the longer you play paintball the more likely you are to go buy a carbon fiber tank. Carbon fiber may be more expensive but it is lighter and often (with a 4500psi tank) will hold more in a smaller size. With a pump you will be fine using a 45 or 50ci tank.
- "Test Tube" pods and custom made upper arm band pod holders (and maybe a rambo-style vest to hold even more ammo pods, if she has time to make it when the arm bands are done). This will give us each a 50 ball hopper plus 8 'test tube' sized pods of spare paint on our person -- will this be enough?
50rnd hopper plus 80 in tubes. Might be enough, that will depend on how long you stay on the field and how much you shoot...for a cheap 10rnd tube harnness head to a hunting store or even Walmart and get a shotgun shell belt...works perfectly for holding 15-20 tubes. Cheap, easy and effective.
- Padded shirts with long sleeved jackets to go over top (shirts hand-made, jackets from Value Village--- used clothing store). Cargo Pants with lots of pockets (can probably fit more ammo `tubes' in the pockets?). Whatever works for you guys! There is absolutely NO need to get decked out in the latest and greatest. Some of the best players I know wear nothing more than a t shirt and a pair of jeans.

I was also going to get a big box of energy bars and a case of bottled water to leave with our paint to fill up on energy / liquids while also getting paint / air. Very good idea. other ideas; GORP, Gatoraid powder for you water, Paper towel or wet wipes, change of clothes for after (or during if you wish...look up some of those stories )

What am I forgetting / Doing Wrong?
Read up on the scenario, rules and the game play. The more you know, the more you can get away with and the more fun you can have.

Find out what roles are avalible and what might work for you. who knows, you may be a great assassin or spy?

Find some more experienced players and ask to tag along. This will let you experience a scenario far more than just showing up and getting into a drawn out fight.

Have Fun!
Nahib_Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:55 AM #7
Candi

The big concern about padding is not for me (or the guys). It's my wife. She's not so much worried about welts or bruises, she just really doesn't want to take a paintball to the chest (at the local indoor place we went to they had hockey chest protectors with the shoulder pads cut off that they gave to women to use for the day -- she's thinking of making something like that). If anyone has ideas besides modded hockey pads or completely hand made chest-armor she'd be happy to hear!

A long day of play is going to be harder on the markers than a usual day out so I also suspect it would be wise to bring along a toolbox with tools for assembling / disassembling our markers as well as lubricant etc to do some routine maintenance over the lunch break (they're serving a pasta lunch so I think it's an hour where everyone is pulled off the field, served food, rechrono and back on).
Old 08-29-2012, 12:09 PM #8
Grazi
Hoagies...Ya hoagies

Grazi is playing at Living Legends V
Grazi owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Grazi owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Grazi supports Team VICIOUS
Welcome to scenario paintball Candi, I have no doubts you and your friends will have an absolute blast!

Switch did cover just about everything, and I know he would because I get to actually play with him from time to time (we gotta fix that man).

As mentioned, make sure to go up to the command of your side or find someone who knows who to talk to about missions or orders. This way you can get involved, and how far you get involved is completely up to you. But by doing this you will get into the nitty gritty of the game and see a perspective you typically wouldn't.

Also one other thing: What is the scenario? What's the name of the game?

HPA is one of the biggest upgrades you can make is getting a HPA tank. The sport has come to a point where HPA is the way to go, and the tanks may be expensive but they are much lighter and HPA as an air source is overall just a better. Eventually look into getting those tanks.

Something else that was not mentioned that I noticed, at the larger scenario events a good portion of the time you can go, check it out and there are lots of vendors who usually give REALLY good deals on equipment and discounts. So put that into your plans for sure!
MVP: ROME 2045 ~ French Indian War 2854
Grazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:18 PM #9
Candi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazi View Post
Also one other thing: What is the scenario? What's the name of the game?
Day of the Dead - from what I gather it's Humans v Zombies.

Website Link Here:

Quote:
HPA is one of the biggest upgrades you can make is getting a HPA tank. The sport has come to a point where HPA is the way to go, and the tanks may be expensive but they are much lighter and HPA as an air source is overall just a better. Eventually look into getting those tanks.
This is a no brainer, especially with free HPA fills at every field I've ever heard of. You mention that they are lighter, is that just Carbon HPA's or are Steel HPA tanks also lighter than CO2s?

Looking closer they advertise retail presence *and* a manufacturer trade show - so I take it I should bring a couple hundred bucks or so and maybe pick up some of that gear I'll be getting eventually (like an HPA tank).
Old 08-29-2012, 12:37 PM #10
Grazi
Hoagies...Ya hoagies

Grazi is playing at Living Legends V
Grazi owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Grazi owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Grazi supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Day of the Dead - from what I gather it's Humans v Zombies.

Website Link Here:

This is a no brainer, especially with free HPA fills at every field I've ever heard of. You mention that they are lighter, is that just Carbon HPA's or are Steel HPA tanks also lighter than CO2s?

Looking closer they advertise retail presence *and* a manufacturer trade show - so I take it I should bring a couple hundred bucks or so and maybe pick up some of that gear I'll be getting eventually (like an HPA tank).
There are some really neat missions there, and keep an eye out for props over the course of the day when you are walking around the field. Anything you find bring back to your HQ and give it to one of the command staff (unless it looks like a bomb then drop it off in eyes view of the base and explain what you found).

The Carbon Fiber ones are far lighter and hold more air typically. 68/4500's are your best bet but it also depends how long you stay on the field; stay longer you might need a bigger tank.

Yeah I would bring a few extra bucks, you might be able to find something good from the vendors!
MVP: ROME 2045 ~ French Indian War 2854
Grazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:15 PM #11
Lazarusrat

Lazarusrat owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:

I expect that, even if it's a bit of a struggle, finding time to play with the new markers before the day of is advisable. Knowing it's working is one thing, but having used it in a real game is another -yes?

Yes.

The web site doesn't list they have water on site so I would plan on 1 gal of water per person. You get free lunch as well but I would still bring some snacks.

It's always best to bring a "tool kit" with you. I always carry extra O-rings, spare mask lense, lube, tools, and burst discs with me.

HPA tanks, even steel ones, are lighter than full CO2 but we are only talking by ounces here so don't expect to much. They have free HPA and Co2 fills at the event.

You might also want to bring along some key lanyards for your player's badge and car keys.

Looks like a fun event. I can't wait for my next game (Alien's in the Rockies out in UT).

PS EDIT IN: about tank sizes, I run a 68/4500 I carry 4 pods with me on to the field. If I'm shooting my NXT I refill my tank every time I refill my pods. If I'm shooting my Fusion I'll refill my tank every 2nd or 3rd pod fill. Like I said usually you'll run out of paint before you run out of air so buying a 88 or some other big tank seems kind of crazy unless you are packing 1/2 a case or more worth of paint with you.

Last edited by Lazarusrat : 08-29-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Lazarusrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:43 PM #12
Pyrate Jim

Quote:
The big concern about padding is not for me (or the guys). It's my wife. She's not so much worried about welts or bruises, she just really doesn't want to take a paintball to the chest (at the local indoor place we went to they had hockey chest protectors with the shoulder pads cut off that they gave to women to use for the day -- she's thinking of making something like that). If anyone has ideas besides modded hockey pads or completely hand made chest-armor she'd be happy to hear!
My daughter wears one my old shirts with two chest pockets.
She will split a deck of cards and put half in each chest pocket.
Any stiff plastic or cardboard cut to fit the pocket will work.
This covers the "sensitive" portions without being restrictive.

I've seen ladies using padded inserts to the brasierre, or padded bathing suit tops under a jersey.

Of course, any welts your lady gets are the one you have to "kiss & make better" after the game.
After a good scenario, the wife will play "connect-the-dots" while I'm in the shower.

That's something that hasn't been mentioned, you must be aware that most scenario games have far more players on the field than any speedball, tourney, or most rec games.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:49 PM #13
offbeatherbal
Soup Can Cocks

Everyone pretty much sumed it up. For chest protection go with something padded because then it has more of a chance to bounce then break on something hard like hockey pads
Old 08-29-2012, 06:37 PM #14
toochman
Toochman

Have FUN.... Most of us on here hope you do.
Member of 518 NINJA SQUAD..
Supporter of the "Upstate Hate" Woodsball Team
www.capitalcombatzone.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/SPbTV
http://tuthilltown.com/home/
toochman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:52 AM #15
kmauzy

kmauzy is playing at Living Legends VI
One thing that I would say is check who is with your commander, He should be pointing out people to go to to help out with things. Commanders are very busy on and off the field. I know that when I command there is no time to just sit and relax for one minute and lunch is no different with meetings and passing everything on to the players on his or her side. But I do recommend talking with your command when they have time. Meet everyone you can, you will never know what kinds of people you will meet. The guys on here have told you a lot of info to help you with the game. That is one big difference with Scenario than speedball. Most players in Scenario like meeting new people. Try and get in with a team and see if that works out to where you can run with them. But like most of these guys have said have fun you pay all this money to play a game (and it is a game) yes we all want to win but even if you don't the way the weekend goes for you is up to you.
Outdoorsmenpaintball.org

http://Rockstartactical.com

http://TechTpaintball.com
kmauzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:35 PM #16
Pyrate Jim

Quote:

This was today by the site.
Hope you had good weather and lots of fun.
ReplyScenario Ups